Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2003, 20:50   #21  |  Link
Defiler
Asker of Questions

Are they dboost and dstren? They seem to do essentially the same thing, one right after the other.
Old 15th May 2003, 21:07   #22  |  Link
WyldeF1r3

I personally don't like the thinning of the lines in my anime so i try to minimize all the warping settings as much as possible, but this is definately a useful "filter".

I'm not much of a programmer, and I honest don't feel like testing to see if my guesses on redundancy are correct, but to me it seems like
detail range and detail limiter are somewhat redundant, despite having a different range of perameter values. But also wondering, will cwarp work if you omit cwarp2 (does it default to 0/1 thus enable it's typing to be redundant, perhaps making that your "obsolete")

cwarp = Default(cwarp, true) # chroma warp on/off
cwarp2 = cwarp ? 1 : 0
aWarpSharp(cm=cwarp2

you also don't ask cwarp2 to be identified in mftoon() only cwarp, yet i don't see cwarp anywhere, only cwarp2

Last edited by WyldeF1r3; 15th May 2003 at 21:13.
WyldeF1r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2003, 22:12   #23  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by Defiler
Are they dboost and dstren? They seem to do essentially the same thing, one right after the other.
You're getting close, but no.

Quote:
Originally posted by WyldeF1r3
I personally don't like the thinning of the lines in my anime so i try to minimize all the warping settings as much as possible, but this is definately a useful "filter".

I'm not much of a programmer, and I honest don't feel like testing to see if my guesses on redundancy are correct, but to me it seems like
detail range and detail limiter are somewhat redundant, despite having a different range of perameter values. But also wondering, will cwarp work if you omit cwarp2 (does it default to 0/1 thus enable it's typing to be redundant, perhaps making that your "obsolete")

cwarp = Default(cwarp, true) # chroma warp on/off
cwarp2 = cwarp ? 1 : 0
aWarpSharp(cm=cwarp2

you also don't ask cwarp2 to be identified in mftoon() only cwarp, yet i don't see cwarp anywhere, only cwarp2
About the thinning: line darkening thickens the lines. Warping just puts them back at their original thickness.
And about the cwarp: nope . cwarp is boolean, and the line you pasted converts the boolean into int. I did this because I originally didn't know there were 3 values for aWarpSharp's "cm" . But I left it in there cause cm=2 will usually be more crappy than cm=1 anyway.
mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 16:24   #24  |  Link
MasterYoshidino
Yoshi

The thing that is unacceptable in this filter is the overall darkening of the picture, as MPEG4 tends to overcompress dark colors that are still noticeable.
It also would not be a useable one since the only accurate way to use a contrast filter is before deinterlace/decomb. Since this filter will interpolate lines, there is no way to use it there, so it is not a useable filter

You can do all the sharpening you want, but as soon as I saw the bicubic resize in the script = interpolation = tough to decomb
Old 16th May 2003, 16:37   #25  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterYoshidino
The thing that is unacceptable in this filter is the overall darkening of the picture, as MPEG4 tends to overcompress dark colors that are still noticeable.
It also would not be a useable one since the only accurate way to use a contrast filter is before deinterlace/decomb. Since this filter will interpolate lines, there is no way to use it there, so it is not a useable filter

You can do all the sharpening you want, but as soon as I saw the bicubic resize in the script = interpolation = tough to decomb
Maybe you should do some more research.
A) It doesn't darken the whole picture anymore. That was fixed in v0.30.
B) What you say only applies to lumi-masking.
C) You can simply turn off the interpolated sharpening, just do sharpen=false.
D) You should never use these kind of filters on interlaced material, except if it has support for it.

Last edited by mf; 16th May 2003 at 16:39.
Old 16th May 2003, 17:42   #26  |  Link
Kurosu

1) People tend to overlook your strength at hiding this obsolete parameter while looking for it, isn't it ?
2) Levels(0, 1, 255, 255, 0) = Invert(Y=3,U=2,V=2) from my filters's package, AFAIK. But it might be slower...
3) There could be smarter edge detectors than "sobel", especially if they only detect dark lines. But that's would be of little help anyway.

Last edited by Kurosu; 16th May 2003 at 17:48.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2003, 18:02   #27  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurosu
1) People tend to overlook your strength at hiding this obsolete parameter while looking for it, isn't it ?
Even at the last moment, seconds before uploading it to my webspace, I had to look twice to notice it, and it had been there all that time .
Quote:

2) Levels(0, 1, 255, 255, 0) = Invert(Y=3,U=2,V=2) from my filters's package, AFAIK. But it might be slower...
3) There could be smarter edge detectors than "sobel", especially if they only detect dark lines. But that's would be of little help anyway.
Invert says it only runs on YV12, and I found sobel to work the best for me.
Old 16th May 2003, 18:14   #28  |  Link
Kurosu

Quote:
Invert says it only runs on YV12
Nevermind, then; I didn't check the colorspace.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2003, 07:05   #29  |  Link
MasterYoshidino
Yoshi

looks allrite with the newer versions. (did not look around lol)
but I could always do a chain SmartSmooth to emphasize edges.
SmoothHiQ(5,8,16,256,6).SmoothHiQ(5,8,16,256,6).SmoothHiQ(3,8,16,256,4).SmoothHiQ(3,8,16,256,4)

lol, makes them ****** PinkPineapple DVD's look nice and focused

Last edited by Guest; 18th May 2003 at 07:26.
MasterYoshidino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2003, 11:43   #30  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by MasterYoshidino
looks allrite with the newer versions. (did not look around lol)
but I could always do a chain SmartSmooth to emphasize edges.
SmoothHiQ(5,8,16,256,6).SmoothHiQ(5,8,16,256,6).SmoothHiQ(3,8,16,256,4).SmoothHiQ(3,8,16,256,4)

lol, makes them ****** PinkPineapple DVD's look nice and focused
Nice, however clearly beside the point. mfToon darkens lines. SSHiQ doesn't.
Old 23rd May 2003, 20:30   #31  |  Link
BoNz1

Just a quick question for you mf or actually maybe not so quick. Ok, so I have been trying to modify mftoon to work for a dvdrip but I can only seem to get it to work one way. Here is my script:

LoadPlugin("C:\Video\Avisynth Plugins\MPEG2Dec3.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\Video\Avisynth Plugins\Decomb.dll")
Import("C:\Video\Avisynth Plugins\mfToon-v0.32.avs")

MPEG2Source("C:\DVD\VIDEO_TS\DVD.d2v",idct=5,cpu=2)
Telecide(post=false).Decimate(5).FieldDeinterlace(full=false)
crop(12,2,704,476)
mfToon(sharpen=false,cwarp=false,ssw=3,ssh=3)
BicubicResize(640,480,0,0.5)

But, if I do it this way this means that I am resizing three times, first to supersample it and then to resize again to do mergeluma() and then again after mfToon(), I can get mfToon to work like this if I eliminate mergeluma() but I would like use it and also only resize it twice. Is there any way that you can think of to do this? I have been trying for quite a while now and I can't seem to figure it out. I don't think there will be any loss in quality by resizing three times like this but definitely it will slow it down. I guess, the real problem is that the frame size for mergeluma() must be the same so if I change orig.width and orig.height to 640 and 480 respectively everywhere obviously it doesn't work, I guess I could also resize to 640x480 before the first mergeluma() but then I still have to resize three times. Maybe you or someone else can think of a way around this since I can't seem to.
EDIT: Don't bother actually, I made my own script and stole some of the routines you used in mfToon, seems just as good since the source is fairly clean plus it is a lot faster

Last edited by BoNz1; 23rd May 2003 at 22:37.
BoNz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2003, 03:45   #32  |  Link
zeus163

Cool. Now that I have Avisynth 2.5.1 working on my machine, I want to play around with this. I created a script that CCE accepted, but when I hit decode it thinks about it for about 5 seconds and then it thinks it's done. Of course, nothing has been produced except a small file that doesn't amount to anything.

I noticed that somebody had shown some screen shots of Naruto. I wonder if the original source files were .avi files (fansubbed divx files). Does mftoon work with these type of files?

I'm sure the answer is right in front of me and I'm missing something.

thanks.
zeus163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2003, 11:48   #33  |  Link
mf
·

YAY! Feedback! ^__^

Bonzi: You have sharpen=false set, so the resizing routines are left alone. mfToon isn't resizing with sharpen=false set. So ssw and ssh have no influence either. And warping isn't done either, so cwarp is ignored too, in this mode.

Zeus: I don't know for sure, but I think CCE only eats YUY2. Try putting ConvertToYUY2() at the end of your script.
Old 24th May 2003, 16:30   #34  |  Link
zeus163

@mf

adding the convert worked like a charm. I never had to do that with 2.0.8 and CCE. I just modified my 2.0.8 (simple .avi script) and had to add the convert to get that to work it. So, that must be it!

thanks.
Old 24th May 2003, 17:58   #35  |  Link
digitize

@zeus163
You never had to do that with 2.08 b/c 2.08 works in yuy2 color space, 2.5 is in yv12.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2003, 18:02   #36  |  Link
zeus163

Ahh....Thanks. I appreciate you letting me know that.

I encoded a 1 minute segment and it took about 25 minutes (just did a CBR) and will burn it to a DVD+RW and check it out later on the TV to see if I like the results. If they are promising, then I don't mind the extra time involved.

Thanks for all your answers and help! I appreciate it.
Old 24th May 2003, 20:18   #37  |  Link
mf
·

I appreciate you guys' feedback too. Thanks everyone.
Old 25th May 2003, 04:55   #38  |  Link
digitize

@zeus163 No problem.
@mf Thanks for the filter ^^.
digitize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2003, 12:00   #39  |  Link
mf
·

Quote:
Originally posted by digitize
@mf Thanks for the filter ^^.
Yeahyeah I know, you want that new version huh .
Old 27th May 2003, 19:34   #40  |  Link
crusty
Ahhh....Nuts!!

Quote:
Import("mfToon-v0.32.avs")
AVISource/MPEG2Source/WhateverSource("file")
mfToon()
I like the 'WhateverSource' part....can we have a function like that in avisynth please?