Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Development

Old 11th March 2003, 16:41   #1  |  Link
Bach

rePal, my first plugin. Use: NTSC ->PAL IVTC

hi,

rePal is my first plugin, with almost 30% of the code stolen from neuron's decomb. As the name already point to, it is usefull for a 30->25 IVTC conversion. It must be used in conjunction with a (smart)bob. It works deleting 7 frames from every group of 12 frames, in such way that only blended and/or repeated frames are decimated. It is very reliable when the source clip is known to be PAL telecined material (most of time this is known as 25fps->30fps conversion). Using this plugin you MAY achieve better results than telecide(guide=3).decimate(6), since the ghosting effect can be very decreased.

The usage is

#################################
LoadPlugin("rePal.dll")
AVISource("mixed.avi")
bob() ## it is much better to use a smartbob . If the result is not good, use complementparity() before. ##
repal()
#################################

(...) read more in the readme file.

ps: limitations: it was not tested in avisynth 2.5, and may not work with it and/or YUV12.

Last edited by Bach; 9th July 2003 at 12:14.
Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2003, 19:50   #2  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

@Bach: Looks very good - I don't have any sources to test on myself - but they'll probably turn up.

Potential problems:
- Don't assume pitches are the same for all frames. Your findanchor loop assumes that pitch is the same for all the frames it recieves. This may however not be the case. So store the pitch along with the pointers to avoid any potential problems here.

Optimizations for your FindAnchor loop:
- Instead of /2 and /8, use bitshifting (>>1 and >>3 respectively). You cannot trust the compiler to do this as you work on signed ints. It is much faster - especially in inner loops. This can however only be used when the divisor is a power of 2. A clever compiler might however see that the entire line is a constant within the loop, and therefore calculate it before it enters the loop. However you should probably do this manually just to be sure.

- Instead of %8, use &7. Again much faster. Again only valid for divisors that are multiple of 2.
Old 14th March 2003, 13:15   #3  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Could you please port the filter to AVS2.5? It would be much appreciated, I've got some material I think this one will deal with extremely well.
Old 14th March 2003, 18:16   #4  |  Link
sh0dan
Retired AviSynth Dev ;)

Have you tried it? What happends if you do?
Old 14th March 2003, 19:39   #5  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

@sh0dan: I just get an error message 'not an Avisynth 2.5 plugin' (if that's what you meant ) Maybe it's just not compiled properly?
Old 14th March 2003, 20:34   #6  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

Re: Re: rePal, my first plugin. Use: NTSC ->PAL IVTC

Quote:
Originally posted by Bach
I said it in my first post. I have not used avs2.5 yet, simply because I am mainly a CCE user and, AFAIK, that mpeg encoder doesn´t take any advantage of those new features of avs2.5. I'm sorry.
Well, I think that there's no harm in using 2.5. It's very stable and I'd suppose you'll get a slight speedup even with CCE. Thanks for the plugin anyway, there are never too many conversion options available
Old 17th March 2003, 20:24   #7  |  Link
mj0012

Works great!

Bach,

Thanks for the filter; I've been looking for something like this for awhile now. I've got a large collection of DVDs from Hong Kong and a lot of them are telecined PAL -> NTSC conversions and they usually just look horrible on a computer monitor. So far it's worked great on everything I've tried it with; I'll let you know if I come across any clips that don't work so you can test them.
Old 8th April 2003, 01:34   #8  |  Link
Chez_Wimpy

Fantastic job Bach! I was somewhat reluctant to try this due to my complete conversion over to 2.5, but seeing as I had some recent rare Hong Kong DVDs added to my collection (Ichi the Killer, Lily Chou-Chou), I gave it a shot. I found that using the smartbob option with the complementparity() function did the trick. The resulting framerate (24.975) can be slowed with AssumeFPS(24), making repal effectively refilm! Night and day.

I hope you are compelled to tune this plugin for 2.5, as I now consider it one of the essentials in my toolbox. From what I have seen, almost every music video shot in Europe is shot on film @ 25fps. The Cure video collection recently in stores in the US, is a good test disc for those who are curious.

Thanks again

-CTB
Chez_Wimpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2003, 02:38   #9  |  Link

I compiled it for Avisynth 2.5, but it does not support YV12. I haven't tested it so someone with an appropriate input clip please do so.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2003, 07:10   #10  |  Link
Chez_Wimpy

Works well, with some caveat...

Works as before with the same input clip I was using. However, when I go to use the recomended "smartbob" script variety (which calls tomsmocomp, and smoothdeinterlace) it has some problems. Replacing those plugins with the 2.5 versions, it now seems something is being processed differently. The top of the final encoded image fluctuates in the first 2 or 3 lines, blinking in and out. I would suspect this is some weave-artifact. Also, somewhat curious, I notice now that clips that require the complementparity() line no longer need it, but for those that didn't, vice-versa: the repal encodes judder without the line. Something appears to have been flipped!

Like I said, the indicator seems to point to a difference in either the Smoothdeint or TomsMoComp 2.5 implementation.
Old 9th April 2003, 16:19   #11  |  Link

Thank you for the results, Chez_Wimpy. I don't have time to look into Smoothdeinterlacer or TomsMoComp in this regard. Perhaps the authors will comment.
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2003, 07:28   #12  |  Link
encod3r

Excellent work, please keep up development. Best thing i've tried so far on this NTSC BBC mini-series i've been playing with!
encod3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2003, 22:04   #13  |  Link
gotaserena
String Theorist

I'd second that. This is the best thing for captures of sports events shot in Europe and broadcast in the U.S.

Hope that someone pick this up...
gotaserena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2003, 03:26   #14  |  Link
rcjc

so how do you know when to complementparity() and when not to?
what kind of "bad" results are we looking for?
rcjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2003, 21:26   #15  |  Link
pr0nandy

I've tried the plugin on a PAL -> NTSC converted vob. the results are great! Good work!
Old 3rd May 2003, 15:37   #16  |  Link
trbarry

Quote:
However, when I go to use the recomended "smartbob" script variety (which calls tomsmocomp, and smoothdeinterlace) it has some problems.
Sorry, I don't know what this is.

- Tom
trbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2003, 21:10   #17  |  Link
pr0nandy

What about NTSC converted to PAL, will there be a plugin to covert it back to NTSC or get it progressive in some way?
Old 4th May 2003, 21:30   #18  |  Link
scharfis_brain
brainless

IMO true interlaced(30i)/progressive(30p) NTSC will not be recoverable, because the field are mixed too much.
30 fields are mixed into 25 fields.

But I hope that someone can make a Filter, that can recover the progressive frames of this kind of conversion, which is very common (but not whished ) in Europe:
24p -> 30i (telecine) -> 50i (fieldblending)

Would this be possible?
scharfis_brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 15:24   #19  |  Link
dar1us

Where can I get the filter?

harrison

(dejavu?)
dar1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2003, 15:35   #20  |  Link
Wilbert

www.geocities.com/wilbertdijkhof/repal.zip

dunno if it is the latest ...