Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 27th November 2011, 15:16   #11121  |  Link
Tanis138

MPC-HC disappearing subtitles

Madshi, I want to ask you about this fix:
Quote:
* MPC-HC OSD text "Pausa" is now blocked (to avoid disappearing subtitles)
It's not working with my MPC-HC. I spent hours changing settings in madVr and MPC-HC, trying different versions of MPC-HC, but with no result - subtitles disappear on pause. But then (with the help of my 6 sense I guess ) I changed language in MPC-HC from my native language (Russian) to English - and subtitles stop disappearing! Then I tried some other languages (German, French) - subtitles begin to disappear again. So, I realized, that your fix working only with English version of MPC-HC. Could you please make it work with other languages (at least with Russian)? Thank you very much!

P.S. If you block OSD message any time you encounter word "Play" or "Pause" in OSD text, here translation of these words into Russian: "Play"="Воспроизведение", "Pause"="Пауза".
Tanis138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 21:39   #11122  |  Link
mindz

I was wondering if there is any difference in PQ between media players like mpc hc, potplayer, zoomplayer etc, or that the painted picture on screen relies solely on the video decoder/ video renderer?
mindz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2011, 21:45   #11123  |  Link
SamuriHL

PQ comes down to decoder (shouldn't cause PQ issues in theory) and renderer. The renderer can have a very large affect on PQ. So to answer your question, if you use LAV Video and madVR in all those players, they will look identical. If you're using internal decoders and/or renderers, then there could be a difference. Again, the decoder SHOULDN'T make a lot of difference in PQ unless it's doing some kind of post processing.
Old 27th November 2011, 22:19   #11124  |  Link
mindz

Thanks for your reply and explanation .
Old 28th November 2011, 11:13   #11125  |  Link
oddball

I think that under known problems/limitations you should make it known that you cannot screencap yet. I keep looking for this in each build update but thus far no go.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:23   #11126  |  Link
namaiki

You can still use print screen or alt+print screen if you're not in exclusive mode. By the way, any idea why one of the tags for the thread is "free tibet!"?
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 11:47   #11127  |  Link
nx6
Playing with MKV files...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6233638 View Post
I have no system file modifications and with AnyDVD disabled, this still works fine playing straight off a disc. (AnyDVD is still required for Blu-ray playback, right?)

<image thumbnails removed>

Open Directory may also work, I have no idea.[*]This is my filter list when a file is playing:
[/list]
ffdshow's Audio Processor does not interfere with DVD playback.
Other filters might. It used to be that I could not use ffdshow Video/Audio decoders at all with madVR for DVD playback (Macrovision error) but that seems to have been fixed.
Make sure you are up to date with MPC-HC and ffdshow. I'm a few weeks behind I think, but fairly recent.

I use ReClock as my audio renderer (particularly to play back 25p DVDs at 24Hz) but it's not necessary.
Nope, still not working.

Double checked my setup and disabled the internal audio switcher that was still running and unchecked the DVD Title Set filter from the internal splitter's list. I do find it interesting that both you and the last poster who said it worked for them was using ReClock, but that's just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Oh well. Still seems to be a bug in MadVR, or more accurately I think, a change in Windows made to disrupt using third party players for DVD playback in Windows. Can't have a free app outperforming WMP on picture quality after all.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:03   #11128  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaiki View Post
You can still use print screen or alt+print screen if you're not in exclusive mode. By the way, any idea why one of the tags for the thread is "free tibet!"?
I don't know what's going on with the tags either... in the MPC-HC thread one of the tags is "potplayer rules them all!"
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:08   #11129  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Yes but you have to unselect exclusive mode, exit the player, restart the movie, try and find the last position you was at, take the screencap, set to exclusive again, exit the player, restart the movie and go back to where you left off!

I can do the same thing by selecting VMR for renderer for the duration.

With native screencap capability even in exclusive mode it would be a simple case of pause the movie and take the screencap!

Basically it's just inconvenient.

For 'me' being able to screencap without messing around is the last peice in the puzzle for MadVR.

Last edited by oddball; 28th November 2011 at 12:11.
Old 28th November 2011, 12:35   #11130  |  Link
namaiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Yes but you have to unselect exclusive mode, exit the player, restart the movie, try and find the last position you was at, take the screencap, set to exclusive again, exit the player, restart the movie and go back to where you left off!
You can right-click to activate a context menu to get out of exclusive mode.
namaiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 12:49   #11131  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
You can right-click to activate a context menu to get out of exclusive mode.
Where? If I right click MadVR's tray icon it's not there. If I go into MadVR's settings and untick fullscreen exclusive mode. OK it. Pause the movie or go back a bit and try to take a screencap I still get GetDIB Failed.

EDIT: I tried disabling both exclusive and use seperate presentation for good measure. Restarted the movie and tried to screencap. No dice. Same error.

Last edited by oddball; 28th November 2011 at 12:53.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:05   #11132  |  Link
golagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
Where? If I right click MadVR's tray icon it's not there. If I go into MadVR's settings and untick fullscreen exclusive mode. OK it. Pause the movie or go back a bit and try to take a screencap I still get GetDIB Failed.

EDIT: I tried disabling both exclusive and use seperate presentation for good measure. Restarted the movie and tried to screencap. No dice. Same error.
I think he meant if you right-click inside the player (where the video is shown... ) to open the player's context menu while in exclusive mode it will change to windowed mode (it works for me at least).
golagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 13:25   #11133  |  Link
oddball

Quote:
Originally Posted by golagoda View Post
I think he meant if you right-click inside the player (where the video is shown... ) to open the player's context menu while in exclusive mode it will change to windowed mode (it works for me at least).

I already knew that. Makes no difference to screencaps though.
Old 28th November 2011, 13:36   #11134  |  Link
mindz

Quote:
PQ comes down to decoder (shouldn't cause PQ issues in theory) and renderer. The renderer can have a very large affect on PQ. So to answer your question, if you use LAV Video and madVR in all those players, they will look identical. If you're using internal decoders and/or renderers, then there could be a difference. Again, the decoder SHOULDN'T make a lot of difference in PQ unless it's doing some kind of post processing.
Is there any difference in PQ between ffdshow and LAV Video Decoder?
Old 28th November 2011, 14:03   #11135  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindz View Post
Is there any difference in PQ between ffdshow and LAV Video Decoder?
Not unless you're doing any post processing with ffdshow.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
Old 28th November 2011, 14:13   #11136  |  Link
mindz

Thanks again for your quick reply .
Old 28th November 2011, 14:21   #11137  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Not unless you're doing any post processing with ffdshow.
Or you're playing anything thats not 8-bit 4:2:0

Last edited by nevcairiel; 28th November 2011 at 21:44.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 20:46   #11138  |  Link
mindz

Can you care to explain ? It's true that 99% of the content is 4:2:0 right? I know of the Hi10P content around, but there isnt much content encoded in this format right?

Anyways, i would like to know why there is a difference in other formats, because ffdshow doesnt support it?
Old 28th November 2011, 21:43   #11139  |  Link
Andy o

Hi10p is something else (10-bit depth H.264), and all Hi10p content I've seen (just some anime reencodes) is still 4:2:0. I'm also curious about what other content is in higher than 4:2:0 though. Don't think it even matters unless the original source is also higher.
Old 28th November 2011, 21:47   #11140  |  Link
SamuriHL

I don't have any content higher than 4:2:0.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling