Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th October 2011, 17:36   #6581  |  Link
kalston

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Did that not occur with previous drivers? AFAIK the bluray is somewhat new.
I have not tried that one specifically, but i also have a card which does full VC-1 hardware decoding, and i would guess the problem is limited to the partial mode of your card.
Well, I did not try the JP bluray with the older drivers no. And yeah, it just came out on Monday.

I just never had this problem before with OTHER vc1 blurays and since the only thing that changed in my setup is the drivers I thought it was *unlikely* to be something else. Maybe I should just make a sample but I'm not sure how effective that would be since it doesn't happen all the time.
kalston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 18:16   #6582  |  Link
dead_screem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalston View Post
With the latest nvidia drivers (285.62) CUDA vc1 decoding is buggy for me, I get a lot of random "macroblocking" (gtx 275, Win 7 64).

I used libav software decoding in madvr instead and got smooth playback with 0 issue.

That's on Jurassic Park's blu ray by the way, might try a different one later.
I've noticed a similar problem for me as well on my 9800GTX and only with interlaced content when adaptive deinterlacing is used. Otherwise its fine. last version to work correctly with VC-1 interlaced w/adaptive deinterlacing is 258.96. I'm assuming it has to do with the newer drivers containing newer CUDA versions that don't like my card.
(with the newer drivers I only tested VC-1 interlaced+adaptive deinterlacing and VC-1 progressive. I didn't happen to test MPEG-2 or H.264 interlaced with adaptive deinterlacing, so I don't know if it's specificly related to VC-1 interlaced and adaptive deinterlacing or adaptive in general, I'm not going to re test because upgrading drivers then downgrading to 258.96 or lower is hell.)

Last edited by dead_screem; 29th October 2011 at 18:23.
dead_screem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 19:22   #6583  |  Link
Gleb Egorych

Did anyone face a similar problem with the latest nvidia whql 285.62: viewing particular h.264 1080i channel in DVBViewer with LAV CUVID or LAV Video (+CUVID acceleration) causes slow motion effect. After a few seconds DVBViewer resets video playback and its source filter says there was a buffer overflow error. No problem with 285.27 beta or while playing recorded stream from HDD. Cyberlink decoder is OK on both video driver versions. Seems like Nvidia broke CUVID in the release.
Gleb Egorych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 21:39   #6584  |  Link
Superb

Looking at the ffmpeg repository, it seems they added support for DTS Express decoding... If I'm not mistaken, LAV Audio supports it via the ArcSoft DTS Decoder, but an open-source option would also be appreciated.

EDIT: My bad. Only parsing. nev explained it below.

Last edited by Superb; 29th October 2011 at 21:45.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 21:43   #6585  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superb View Post
Looking at the ffmpeg repository, it seems they added support for DTS Express decoding... If I'm not mistaken, LAV Audio supports it via the ArcSoft DTS Decoder, but an open-source option would also be appreciated.
The only thing they did is merge my patches that allow *parsing* DTS Express, not decoding. The parsers are just responsible to find the frames in the audio stream, and separate them, so the decoder can get a full audio frame to decode and doesn't have to piece it back together itself.

This is how those rumors start again, and in a few weeks someone will come along wondering why DTS Express doesn't work. Please don't start rumors on facts that you don't fully understand.
If some new important feature is added to ffmpeg, i'll surely also include it in my changelog, so read that.
Old 29th October 2011, 21:46   #6586  |  Link
Superb

Fair enough. I edited my previous reply to avoid confusing others.
Superb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2011, 21:48   #6587  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Don't take it personally, the stupid people have just been appearing everywhere lately.
Old 30th October 2011, 03:06   #6588  |  Link
mkanet

Windows Explorer thumbnail icons for MKV, FLV, AVI

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum thread to ask this.

My mpg and wmv files all have screenshots added for each Windows Explorer thumbnail. However, none of the mkv, flv, and avi files have them.

I noticed in Haali splitter there is a feature to add thumbnails. What's the equivalent way to do it in LAV splitter?

I'm curious where the mpg and wmv thumbnails are coming from. Those seems to be working correctly on my machine.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit for my OS.
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 05:27   #6589  |  Link
clsid

Haali splitter does not have a thumbnail feature. Nor does any other splitter. Thumbnailing is done by a shell extension for Explorer. The option you are referring to controls Haali's shell extension, which was removed long ago for stability reasons.

You can use Microsoft's shell extension for thumbnails. Easy way to enable that is with the Codec Tweak Tool.
Old 30th October 2011, 05:42   #6590  |  Link
ney2x

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum thread to ask this.

My mpg and wmv files all have screenshots added for each Windows Explorer thumbnail. However, none of the mkv, flv, and avi files have them.

I noticed in Haali splitter there is a feature to add thumbnails. What's the equivalent way to do it in LAV splitter?

I'm curious where the mpg and wmv thumbnails are coming from. Those seems to be working correctly on my machine.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit for my OS.
This may help you regarding thumbnails Icaros
ney2x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 07:05   #6591  |  Link
mkanet

Thanks so much clsid and ney2x, you guys were both extremely helpful. I noticed when using the default windows shell extension; even after enabling the extensions I wanted via Codec Tweak Tool, I noticed a few flvs or mkv would not get their thumbnails.

When I used Icaros, every single file received a thumbnail. However, what worries me about Icaros is if it is a memory resident app or not. I'm hoping it simply replaces the default shell extension with a slightly more enhanced version without taking any extra resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ney2x View Post
This may help you regarding thumbnails Icaros
mkanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 09:28   #6592  |  Link
jmone

Any progress on SW based deinterlacing? It would be great to prod JRiver to move to LAV Video but without a SW deinterlacing option.....it is still FFDSHOW for now. (not an issue for me thanks to LAV CUVID)
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 09:54   #6593  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmone View Post
Any progress on SW based deinterlacing?
There may soon be no need for that...
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 09:58   #6594  |  Link
jmone

Tease!
Old 30th October 2011, 10:04   #6595  |  Link
jmone

...actually, lets say madshi looks at adding a deinterlacer in madVR..that could change things big time, as then for J.River Users the options are:
- RO Std: LAV Video & EVR (you get deinterlacing as a part of EVR)
- RO HQ: LAV Video & madVR (??? new deinterlacer) as at present JRiver has to use FFDSHOW with YADIF if you are not a nvidia users (else you get LAV CUVID and all is excelent!!!).
Old 30th October 2011, 10:30   #6596  |  Link
pSych0bUNny

Kia Ora nevcairiel,

Thank you very much for your work on these filters.

I am having issues with the LAV splitter and FLV files. I have searched this forum, however I cannot see that anyone has reported a similar issue.

I have encountered an issue when using any FLV splitter and files from www.tvnz.co.nz/video - obviously as it is an NZ site you may not be able to view media streams.

I access this site thru Media Portal and the OnlineVideos plug-in. I am using hoborg's SAF6 (latest pkg using LAV v0.37), unlocked, and the only files I have issues playing are .flv from above mentioned site.

The files are VP6.2 Video Flash (VP6F) 1024x576 - VLC states frame rate is 1000...?
Audio is MPEG audio layer 1/2/3 (mpga), stereo, 44kHz, 128kb/s.

A sample file is here - http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~pe...VNZ_Sample.flv (24MB)

Regardless of video codec (LAV, ffdshow, Windows 7, CyberLink), the LAV splitters do not allow for smooth playback of these files. They stutter and freeze for up to 10 secs in seemingly random places.

Same thing happens using FLV Splitter, but more freezing, etc.

The only way I can get smooth, almost jitter free playback is using VLC, or using SAF5.2 unlocked from hoborg - http://hobring.esero.net/saf/binary/saf502.exe - which uses the Cyberlink FLV splitter.

Now I would continue to use SAF5.2, except there is no BD support like in SAF6 due to your LAV Filters.

I have unticked 'Enable Video Stream Parsing' in the LAV Splitter config, which did make the playback freeze as described above, whereas before, when ticked, it almost completely freezes.

I have spent some time trying out different combinations of filters/splitters/codecs trying to discover something useful, however my limited knowledge of these things is probably preventing me supplying you any useful info.

I do not think my machine specs are required, as again, these files play back nearly flawlessly in VLC or in Media Portal using SAF5.2 with the CyberLink FLV Splitter.

Hopefully the file sample and my incoherent ramblings have helped at least point you towards a solution?

Appreciate your time.

Cheers.

-P
pSych0bUNny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 10:30   #6597  |  Link
BloodySword

Does anyone have a build of the actual FFDshow mod? http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary
BloodySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 11:07   #6598  |  Link
roytam1
Firefox User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodySword View Post
Does anyone have a build of the actual FFDshow mod? http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary
Wrong. This git repository is for building LAV Filters. IT IS NOT FFDSHOW MOD.
ffdshow-tryout itself use libav.
roytam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 11:09   #6599  |  Link
BloodySword

First post says:

Quote:
You can find the slightly modified/tuned version of ffmpeg used for LAV Filters here:
http://git.1f0.de/gitweb?p=ffmpeg.git;a=summary
And I'm looking for builds because I don't have all depencies to compile it.
BloodySword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2011, 11:17   #6600  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roytam1 View Post
ffdshow-tryout itself use libav.
Actually, no -- -tryouts uses a weird mix of ffmpeg and libav as far as I can remember -- with random modifications all over because of legacy reasons ("All hail Milan!").

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter