Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Linux, Mac OS X, & Co

Old 26th April 2012, 03:13   #1  |  Link
twipley

[Lossless] Ripping DVDs to Matroska (MKV)

I am triying to transfer a small collection of DVDs, without losing anything in quality, to the hard disk drive. Here is what I have came up at, although there seems to be a problem in that no subtitle streams at all get worked with using mkvmerge. (As a rule, would be desired in the output are the video stream, original-language studio audio, and soft-coded, bitmap-type, English subtitles.) Furthermore, from my own understanding, mplayer decrypts files on the fly while ripping them, and one would not need to separately install libdvdread4, as mplayer takes care of it by default.

Quote:
install applications: sudo apt-get install mplayer mkvnixtools

ripping all of video, audio, and subtitles, contained in the first title: mplayer dvd://1 -dumpstream -dumpfile <rippedfile>

to have a look at the details of audio and subtitle streams featured on the ripped file: mplayer rippedfile -v

identify which audio and video tracks are contained inside the ripped file: mkvmerge -i <rippedfile>

build mkv with desired tracks: mkvmerge -o <output.mkv> -a <audiotrackid> -d <videotrackid> -s <subtitletrackid> <rippedfile>
I am willing to update the quote field with any hints, tips, or fixes, one might provide.

Last edited by twipley; 26th April 2012 at 03:26.
twipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 03:33   #2  |  Link
Inspector.Gadget

Use MakeMKV. DVD decryption costs nothing (unlike Blu-ray decryption) and it has batch features for episodic disks or extra(s) that you would like to have in separate Matroska file(s). Edit files as needed with mkvmerge header editor.
Inspector.Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2012, 03:37   #3  |  Link
b66pak

check out makemkv...is free for ripping dvds to mkv and has linux support...
_
Old 27th April 2012, 02:00   #4  |  Link
twipley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector.Gadget View Post
Use MakeMKV. DVD decryption costs nothing (unlike Blu-ray decryption) and it has batch features for episodic disks or extra(s) that you would like to have in separate Matroska file(s). Edit files as needed with mkvmerge header editor.
Nice! It seems MakeMKV coupled with mkvmerge GUI really does the job.

Farewell,
twipley
Old 3rd May 2012, 01:12   #5  |  Link
twipley

Furthermore: some installation suggestions (for under Ubuntu)...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...45&postcount=5