Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 27th March 2006, 13:21   #841  |  Link
heinz57g

stax, have to apologize, but this happens when one looks at 400+ forum entries all night long and the eyes are slower than the brain:

it should have read 200MB resulting into 800MB!

default for XVID seems to be the fixed file size, resulting in above. changing it to 'constant quality' brings a 280MB result, better ... but still larger than the original.

but whatever setting is applied, it is not stored, so when next time opening StaxRip, it is back to the old default settings. uncomfortable, at least.

>> wouldnt it make sense to also mention all supported formats for the source files?

** Somehow almost anything can be opened

well, a basic list might be helpful to dummies like me, but who are unfortunately the major part of people who need a prog like yours. i am totally amazed at the competence and knowledge that you and many many others here in the forum show, and the persistence you all follow up on issues and problems. if i would wear a hat, i would take it off now in honor of all of you.

but to get the prog out in numbers, you also need those 'others' like me. and some of us are rather friendly people too!

>> after two passes STAXRIP stops with the NEXT button

** ... main dialog reappeared is enough indication that the processing is finished

sorry, really not if there is a NEXT button showing up! telling you to go on. trust me, i know the effect you are talking about: when you yourself develop something, or when you are one that works with it daily, you overlook those little nooks and corners the average user falls into.

and a NEW user will only become an OLD user if he does not give up confused at the very beginning, but is given a reasonable way of learning.

>> old users a message box might be bothersome

seriously? an old user might not like a DONE mssg and a BING in the background when something finishes after an hour or two? then he would have to throw out some 90% of the progs he already has on his computer, be they freeware/shareware or purely commercial ones.

yes, you have every right to consider your prog to be for a different group of users, and maybe i am wrong wanting it to be in the foolproof AUTOGK league. but i hope i dont sound to selfish when i say you will do a lot of us a favor occasionally thinking of us too.

greetings - heinz -

Last edited by heinz57g; 27th March 2006 at 13:23.
Old 27th March 2006, 14:21   #842  |  Link
stax76

@heinz57g

I understand your pain and your points are valid, there is lot's of room for improvements for all kind of users, unfortunately I don't have the time to address all the issues, so sorry and I hope you can understand. Did you read the help? This should solve some problems.
Old 27th March 2006, 14:32   #843  |  Link
heinz57g

stax, tks, and if anybody understand a time problem, it is me.

and yes, i read the help over and over again, and 90% of the entries here. the remaining 10% were so much over my head, i gave up.

so, if some of my points are valid, and you get some time sometimes, then some might get fixed or adjusted? what tempts you? chocolate? wine or beer from a country you never had any from?

greetings - heinz -

PS: a strange one just crept up while testing: i was asked to update AVYSYNTH from within your program, but while doing so, it broke off after telling me it needed writing permission to the registry, and i should have admin rights. well, there is only one user to this computer, with no restrictions whatosever, and thats me. now StaxRip refuses to run, always requesting AVYSYNTH to be installed, and then breaking off. there we are. possibly nothing to do with StaxRip directly, but ...

Last edited by heinz57g; 27th March 2006 at 14:37.
Old 27th March 2006, 15:39   #844  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz57g
>> after two passes STAXRIP stops with the NEXT button

** ... main dialog reappeared is enough indication that the processing is finished

sorry, really not if there is a NEXT button showing up
Heinz, I think as far as your discomfort with the way this works you should know that the more you use StaxRip the more you appreciate that it gives the VISUAL CLUE that something needs your attention, by highlighting it (iirc these look orange on my display).

I would not WANT Stax to change the above behavior, because often times I am making two encodings from one source; one an SD and another an HD. So I'd rather it just does what it does and let me decide if I want to change the output name and tweak the encoding parameters for another go...

IMO the UI takes some getting used-to, but now that I have used it for a couple weeks I am growing to really appreciate what stax has accomplished.
Old 27th March 2006, 16:38   #845  |  Link
Zorrander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
@Zorrander

What happens if you open the files manually in VirtualDub?

Somehow almost anything can be opened, some things might need some basic knowledge and configuration.
They load and will play without a problem... the audio file is split out, but Staxrip doesn't seem to be able to read the video. I've figured out that these are actually DIVX files I created with SimpleDivx and not Xvid files. I used AutoGK to reencode one of these into Xvid and will see if it works when I get home from work today. The reason I wanted to do this was because I used way too high of a bitrate on these and would like to combine/compress them into x264. I have a feeling it's something screwy with the way SimpleDivx encodes into Divx files and not a problem with Staxrip. Xvid avi files work without any problems at all.

Update - it works ok now after re-encoding it into Xvid. Something is screwy with Divx or these Divx files... I'll keep messing with it and see what I come up with.

Last edited by Zorrander; 27th March 2006 at 23:41.
Old 27th March 2006, 20:17   #846  |  Link
Gawwad

2 small requests please

1. can u please add support for the extension ".mpeg" just like how u did it last time for the ".dat" extension
.mpeg = .mpg

2. can u please disable the "packed bitstream" option for xvid on default so we can get ultimate standalone divx player compatibility
bcz with my stand alone divx player, i 've noticed that the playback of the video files that were made by staxrip is quite jerky
so the only way to solve this plm is to uncheck the "packed bitstream" box from the xvid setting on each new encode which is quite dull!

i think the majority of people don't want "packed bitstream" as it gives jerky playback on most of standalone divx players

Last edited by Gawwad; 27th March 2006 at 20:56.
Old 27th March 2006, 21:16   #847  |  Link
heinz57g

gawwad, stax, that basically emphasizes what i said only minutes ago: there should be a SAVE SETTINGS possibility, so besides default values (which never will be everybodys favorite) one can set his preferred values, and stick to them even after a reboot. i used the FIXED SIZE setting as an example, you (gawwad) used PACKED BITSTREAM OFF, but we are both saying the same, no?

greetings - heinz -
Old 27th March 2006, 23:02   #848  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

You guys do know that you can set-up both Templates which have your settings pre-saved to them as well as Encoder Profiles w/whatever XviD settings you want?

Oh, and the Default Project (which determines what all the settings are when you first start the program) can be set to the Target Size or Encoder settings or anything you want!

While it may not be immediately obvious, however you might want to set this thing up is easily doable in staxrip.

Last edited by laserfan; 28th March 2006 at 00:17.
Old 28th March 2006, 01:19   #849  |  Link
weaver4

You were going to support auto-filtering; IVTC, Deinterlace and such. Any idea when that will be complete?
Old 28th March 2006, 06:39   #850  |  Link
3dsnar

Stax, here are the arguments and description for the Aud-X CLI:

run <input.wav> <output.mp3> [options] to encode
options:
--q <quality> - 0 (STRQ 80 kbps), 1 (STDQ 128 kbps), 2 (HGHQ 192
kbps) or 3 (SPBQ 192 kbps), default is 1
--raw <samplerate> - signal input as raw pcm file instead of RIFF WAV
note: to use STDIN use - as input filename
Old 28th March 2006, 16:02   #851  |  Link
stax76

@3dsnar

How would a example look like having a AC3 file as source?

@weaver4

It's a big task, performs slow and gives often not ideal results so I decided not to support it.

Quote:
can u please disable the "packed bitstream" option for xvid on default
StaxRip uses for both DivX and XviD the Home Theater profiles which uses packed bitstream, both codecs default to packed bitstream.

@Zorrander

So demuxing done by the preparer works but the video does not open, how is it opened, AVISource? Can't AVISource open this file?
Old 28th March 2006, 16:28   #852  |  Link
Zorrander

Yes, the demux with virtualdubmod works fine, but the AVIsource cannot open the video. The files show up as Divx 4 files created by Mencoder. I converted them all to Xvid files with AutoGK and AVIsource is reading them without a problem. It's possible that AVIsource doesn't like older versions of Divx, I'm not too familiar with it as you can tell
Old 28th March 2006, 18:59   #853  |  Link
stax76

If AutoGK can open the files it should also work with StaxRip, maybe DirectShowSource works.
Old 28th March 2006, 19:39   #854  |  Link
neo211

hopefully i can get some help from someone here. i'm having a small problem. i'm trying to convert my movie collection to be viewable on my PSP with the best possible quality. I stumbled upon this program through pspupdates.com. Apparently the best video quality comes from x264. i want to be able to play the videos through PMPMod. The PMP Muxer only allows input from AVI though. i found out that x264 cannot be placed in an avi container. it can only be placed in MP4 or MKV. so technically i cant use x264 with PMPMod. (maybe i can i dont know). so i'm simply wondering what my best choice for best possible quality is while being able to use PMPMod to view the files. x264 has excellent compression and quality which is why i chose it. i'm using a 1.5 PSP but with PMP Mod i can still use 480x272 res videos which is great. i'm thinking i'll be stuck with xvid which for video quality is fine but when it comes to compression it isnt all that great. any help in this issue would be greatly appreciated. TIA!
Old 28th March 2006, 19:56   #855  |  Link
Zorrander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stax
If AutoGK can open the files it should also work with StaxRip, maybe DirectShowSource works.
I'll try that when I get home.
Old 28th March 2006, 20:04   #856  |  Link
Zorrander

neo211 - An mpeg4 AVC file can be placed into an avi file if you use a VfW encoder. It's not the best way to store avc files though. There is an option in x264 to create a psp ready file if you go to the profiles/x264/x264-pd-psp option. If it were me I would encode directly from a DVD and not converting an xvid or divx file to get the best quality. As far as what container to store it in, I would guess MP4, but am not familiar with the PSP so I am not sure what containers it can read.

Last edited by Zorrander; 28th March 2006 at 20:07.
Old 28th March 2006, 21:35   #857  |  Link
stax76

@neo211

PMP support is only there because somebody contacted and guided me, I don't have time to research on this, if somebody provides a comprehensible guide I might be able to add it.
Old 28th March 2006, 22:44   #858  |  Link
Gawwad

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserfan
You guys do know that you can set-up both Templates which have your settings pre-saved to them as well as Encoder Profiles w/whatever XviD settings you want?

Oh, and the Default Project (which determines what all the settings are when you first start the program) can be set to the Target Size or Encoder settings or anything you want!

While it may not be immediately obvious, however you might want to set this thing up is easily doable in staxrip.
for the tip man
now i made my own template

but i still think it is best to get rid of "packed bitstream" on default
i don't think anyone wants them

@ stax
1 more request please

- can u please as well add support for the extension ".divx" as an input (just like how u did it last time for the ".dat" extension)

in advance
Old 28th March 2006, 22:51   #859  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
- can u please as well add support for the extension ".divx" as an input (just like how u did it last time for the ".dat" extension)
Yes + they will be editable.
Old 28th March 2006, 22:58   #860  |  Link
laserfan
Aging Video Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gawwad
for the tip man
now i made my own template

but i still think it is best to get rid of "packed bitstream" on default
i don't think anyone wants them
You're welcome. The more you use StaxRip, the better it gets!

But hey, *I* use "packed bitstream"! My Media Players prefer it!
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265