Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 1st May 2007, 14:29   #1121  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by wozio View Post
When you mentioned it I tried and I have a lot of problems with dvd menus. First highlight doesn't show in animated menu, it shows after first button change.
Strange, it does for me...
Quote:
In static menus highlights don't show at all.
Yeah, that's what I wrote above.
Quote:
And going back to menu from movie doesn't work, menu does not appear but works (I mean choosing button triggers correct action but it must be done blind).
Which movie, if I may ask, and what player are you using?

I've found one situation where going back to the menu just plain doesn't work when using either MPC's internal MPEG2 decoder or ffdshow, and that would be when you're looking at a self-playing image gallery/slide show (as is often included as an extra on DVDs) and hit "title menu" right after the image has changed.

What I found was that the timestamp generated (by Microsoft's DVD navigator, I assume) for the menu image then is before the last timestamp generated for the still image, so the menu image isn't shown by the renderer - but that happens with MPC's internal MPEG2 decoder as well. Hitting "title menu" a second time helps in that case.

(To reproduce: watch a slide show, drop down the "Navigate" menu, and click on "Title menu" as soon as the image changes. Chances are that you won't be seeing the menu...)
Quote:
I have ffdshow rev 1120 normal one.
So you were not using AviSynth filtering at all, if I'm reading this correctly?

np: Burnt Friedman - Conjoined (Plays Love Songs)

Last edited by Leak; 1st May 2007 at 14:31.
Leak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 15:23   #1122  |  Link
vio_man

Why there are more non-SSE compiled binaries? At free-codecs.com, the MMX optimized binaries are always updated, but the SSE ones are not. I have an Athlon XP 2500+ (Barton core) and it supports SSE.
vio_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 15:41   #1123  |  Link
Episode
n00b

free-codecs.com is not maintained by ffdshow-tryouts team. If you want to have bleeding edge builds, use www.ffdshow.info instead.

Also, it shouldn't matter whether the build is compiled with SSE or not since the code is already hand optimized for mmx, sse and sse2.
Episode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 16:27   #1124  |  Link
Leak

2 Bugfixes for my AviSynth patch:

* Fix crashes caused by still uninitialized buffer variables when AviSynth filter instances requested frames right after being created (TIVTC, I'm talking about you... )
* fix bogus timestamps right after flushing/seeking

Download
Patch (against rev. 1126)

The filter should be feature complete now, but due to me hunting the above bugs the documentation is still to be written... :/

NB: That build contains drevil_xxl's SSE3 additions, so if anything is acting wonky try it with SSE3/SSSE3 on the "Info & debug" page disabled...

np: Pole - Streit (2)
Old 1st May 2007, 16:49   #1125  |  Link
Rectal Prolapse

Leak you are doing amazing work. Pretty soon we can dump NVIDIA and ATI decoders and use the deinterlacing solutions that actually work.

So I guess all that is left is making it work in HD resolutions
Rectal Prolapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 16:50   #1126  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rectal Prolapse View Post
So I guess all that is left is making it work in HD resolutions
I'm afraid that needs to be solved by throwing more hardware (i.e. a beefier CPU) at it, although I'd love to solve it via a simple patch...

np: Burnt Friedman & Jaki Liebezeit - The Librarian (ft. David Sylvian) (Secret Rhythms 2)
Old 1st May 2007, 18:10   #1127  |  Link
Piyoko

Thanks Leak, it's working nicely now!

There is already a fairly good mod of Dscaler5 aimed to do IVTC on HD (and SD) content, but unfortunately it only works for film, it's no good for anime (unless it was originally animated using cels, and those shows are few and far between now.)
Piyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 18:26   #1128  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piyoko View Post
There is already a fairly good mod of Dscaler5 aimed to do IVTC on HD (and SD) content, but unfortunately it only works for film, it's no good for anime (unless it was originally animated using cels, and those shows are few and far between now.)
How so?

The only problem with regard to anime I could think of would be that it discarded the first found duplicate instead of a frame of the longest duplicate chain, but that shouldn't be hard to add to said mod...

Or do you mean it's not handling hybrid (24/30 FPS) material well?

np: Pole - Raum 2 Variation (Kit Clayton) (R)
Old 1st May 2007, 19:13   #1129  |  Link
Piyoko

The detection algorithm was done to work with 24fps film and it simply doesn't work with the problematic cadence of digitally rendered anime. It's possible that it's an easy fix, but I'm not smart enough to figure something like that out.
Piyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 21:11   #1130  |  Link
Leak

Okay, I'm not going to tackle writing docs at this late an hour, but I had another idea - I guess I could pass the current aspect ratio into AviSynth as a global variable which is read back after the script has been compiled to get a new aspect ratio for the resulting images.

That way, a script could dynamically detect whether it's fed 4:3 or 16:9 video (as the script already gets recompiled when either the frame size or the aspect ratio changes) and adjust it's output... either size the images to 800x600 directly for 4:3 material or resize it to 852x480, crop off 26 pixels at the left and right and add a 60 pixel border above and below for 16:9 material, with a 4:3 output aspect ratio in any case - just the right size for my 800x600 projector...

(Yeah, it's a bit cumbersome to do stuff like that using the ternary "? :" operator in AviSynth, but it's doable...)

np: Atom - On the Edge of Fidelity (Replicant Rumba Rockers (remixed by Burnt Friedman))
Old 1st May 2007, 22:14   #1131  |  Link
wozio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
Strange, it does for me...
Which movie, if I may ask, and what player are you using?
It occurs both in MPC and in my own app. In MPC I must move mouse for first button to be highlighted even when mouse pointer is on top of it. In my application, since it has only keyboard interface I must move to another button by arrow. On static menus no highlight is displayed.

Quote:
I've found one situation where going back to the menu just plain doesn't work when using either MPC's internal MPEG2 decoder or ffdshow, and that would be when you're looking at a self-playing image gallery/slide show (as is often included as an extra on DVDs) and hit "title menu" right after the image has changed.
That looks to be fixed in your latest version, great.

Quote:
So you were not using AviSynth filtering at all, if I'm reading this correctly?
I'm not using it since I don't need it.
wozio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st May 2007, 22:34   #1132  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
It occurs both in MPC and in my own app. In MPC I must move mouse for first button to be highlighted even when mouse pointer is on top of it. In my application, since it has only keyboard interface I must move to another button by arrow. On static menus no highlight is displayed.
Hmmm... have you turned on the image queue? Maybe you're just noticing the lag it can produce when it buffers 10 frames ahead? Or maybe the DVD navigator has a different idea where the mouse hotspots are than what ffdshow has; but at least when using the keyboard (after setting menu keys up in MPC) the menu item changes almost instantly for me.

Quote:
That looks to be fixed in your latest version, great.
Certainly not, as I've tested it several times and sure enough it happens... it's not caused by ffdshow, though, as it happens even when not using ffdshow - I just noticed that the generated timestamps I was getting were whack when I dumped them out while debugging...

np: Burnt Friedman & The Nu Dub Players - Real Abstraction (Canīt Cool)
Old 2nd May 2007, 01:13   #1133  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Hmmm... have you turned on the image queue? Maybe you're just noticing the lag it can produce when it buffers 10 frames ahead? Or maybe the DVD navigator has a different idea where the mouse hotspots are than what ffdshow has; but at least when using the keyboard (after setting menu keys up in MPC) the menu item changes almost instantly for me.
Seen this happen pretty often; I think some dvd authors set it up for remote keys, test it that way, and never really think about mice on pcs. Same problems happen in powerdvd and windvd, or at least did several years ago, if they've implemented any workaround logic since. Mousing over everything looking for the hotspot can be quite frustrating sometimes (like certain old adventure games), to the point of just randomly trying titles looking for the main movie.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 02:33   #1134  |  Link
Delerue

Quote:
Hmmm... have you turned on the image queue? Maybe you're just noticing the lag it can produce when it buffers 10 frames ahead?
Using MPC I notice this lag when using FFDShow to decode DVD menus. Using the same MPC with internal MPEG2 filter doesn't show this problem. I'm not using queue.
Delerue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2007, 07:56   #1135  |  Link
wozio

Quote:
Yes they are changing instantly on animated menus, but first one isn't highlighted when menu appears. And I think mouse coords are ok since when I move mouse it is displayed properly. When using keyboard it should highlight first button anyway.

Maybe I can rip some menus where I have problem and send it to you to check.

Quote:
Certainly not, as I've tested it several times and sure enough it happens... it's not caused by ffdshow, though, as it happens even when not using ffdshow - I just noticed that the generated timestamps I was getting were whack when I dumped them out while debugging...
For me I haven't had any problem using cyberlink, both using software and dxva mode.
Old 2nd May 2007, 08:16   #1136  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
For me I haven't had any problem using cyberlink, both using software and dxva mode.
Well, I doubt Cyberlink is using Microsoft's DVD navigator, if that's what causes this - try looking at the DirectShow graph with graphedit and look if the "DVD Navigator" filter from quartz.dll is in there...

And for me, the first menu item ("PLAY") is always highlighted when the menu of my Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex vol. 1 DVD starts up...
Old 2nd May 2007, 13:41   #1137  |  Link
wozio

I mean only mpeg2 decoder from cyberlink, rest of graph exactly the same as when using ffdshow (dvd navigator from ms is used).

Anyway static menus doesn't work at all, something is wrong in ffdshow. Here is example ffdshow:

cyberlink:

Probably when this will be fixed animated menus will fix also.
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:00   #1138  |  Link
Leak

Quote:
something is wrong in ffdshow
Well, I guess I wrote this several times above, but let me reiterate:

* DVD menus are done via DVD subtitles
* ffdshow always overlays the current DVD subtitles on the frames it produces
* Static menus don't (continually) produce any frames after the first
* Thus, ffdshow has nothing to overlay changed subtitles/highlights on
* Maybe highlighting on animated menus doesn't work if it's there from the very first frame, but the animated menus I know where the first highlight appears once the menu has settled down definitely do work

ffdshow would need to buffer the last frame and produce new frames with new timestamps when the subtitles change, but it doesn't do that yet; and to be honest ffdshow's subtitle filter/handling is waaay over my head...
Old 2nd May 2007, 20:11   #1139  |  Link
Leak

*phew*

It only took me half of this afternoon, but I managed to craft a help page for my patch...

It's not hooked up inside ffdshow itself yet, so there's no new build to download, but could you guys please have a look at it and comment on it and suggest improvements?

np: Pole - Paula (1)
Old 2nd May 2007, 20:47   #1140  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
It's not hooked up inside ffdshow itself yet, so there's no new build to download, but could you guys please have a look at it and comment on it and suggest improvements?...

Now I know what AviSynth actually is... *me blushes, runs away, and hides*

Edit: If you still have the nerves you could replace the ampersands & in the URLs with &. That should make it XHTML-compliant. Thanks!

Last edited by fastplayer; 2nd May 2007 at 20:53.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl