Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > Avisynth Usage

Old 24th March 2014, 22:26   #1  |  Link
The Rubber Famous Man

Good quality method for deinterlacing single fields only?

Hi,

I have some PAL content which was originally shot 50i true interlaced. This was then deinterlaced (badly!) to 25p in post production. It seems that all they have done to deinterlace is throw away field 2 of each frame and 'bob', or simply repeat, field 1 to create a progressive field 2. This has resulted in a horrible amount of aliasing.

What I want to do is throw away the existing field 2 completely and create a new field 2 by a much better quality method of interpolation from field 1. Obviously the most simple way of doing this is to separate the fields, discard field 2 and then resize field 1 back to 576. However, this is obviously not the correct way to do it (even though it does reduce the aliasing by a reasonable amount) because any artefacts created by squeezing field 1 into 288 pixels (misaligned diagonal lines etc) will then be scaled up into the resized image.

So can anyone recommend a good way to create a new field 2 by means of purely interpolating the data between the existing scanlines of field 1, rather than simply resizing from 288? Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by Guest; 24th March 2014 at 22:35.
The Rubber Famous Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2014, 22:39   #2  |  Link

Discard the second field and then resize it back using one of tritical's filters, e.g., eedi2:

http://bengal.missouri.edu/~kes25c/

Of course better would be to get the original. BTW, what is the content and where did you get it?
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2014, 00:04   #3  |  Link
The Rubber Famous Man

Excellent, thanks for the quick response! That looks like just what I'm after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuron2 View Post
Of course better would be to get the original. BTW, what is the content and where did you get it?
No chance of the original unfortunately. This is from a UK live action comedy show, and it seems there is a lot of stuff which went through this process between roughly 2000 and 2010 (before everything went properly HD). I guess they wanted to get the 'film look', but could only shoot interlaced, and whatever process they used to deinterlace was the worst method possible.
The Rubber Famous Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2014, 03:00   #4  |  Link

[bump after re-open]
Guest is offline   Reply With Quote