Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2008, 16:46   #1981  |  Link
stax76

@weaver4

The audio source file is a mp3 file but the source is a DVD, did you create the MP3 source file manually in the audio settings dialog (you don't have to do this) or is it from a previous project? It would be better to select the original AC3 file as audio source file.

This does not explain the error though, it could be because it is a network drive or because the target filename has a dot, MP4Box might have problems with such things, maybe you can test things with a small sample clip. You said even with the error the output file looks OK?

What I find a bit unusual is the high audio bitrate of 174.40 kbps in relation to the small image size of 640x272.
Old 9th July 2008, 22:29   #1982  |  Link
weaver4

Interesting. Generally I make a DivX/MP3 avi file first. Then I go in and select the *.d2v file as the input to make a H264/AAC mp4 movie. Never noticed that it picked up the *.mp3 file that was made for the avi file for the audio.

I will try the other things you mentioned. and get back to you.
Old 10th July 2008, 03:02   #1983  |  Link
weaver4

I tried it by removing the period, no effect. But when I muxed to a local drive it worked fine, so the problem happens when it is a networked mapped drive.

The files are OK, but I get this error. Do you do anything to the file after the file is muxed, like set permissions?
Old 10th July 2008, 03:05   #1984  |  Link
weaver4

BTW: When you do a Divx file first and have a mp3 file in the folder. Then you try to do a mp4 with a aac file Staxrip will select the the mp3 file that is already in the folder not the ac3 file for the audio input file. This will happen even if you select new vob file and have them indexed so that a new ac3 file is generated. This is bad.
Old 10th July 2008, 08:31   #1985  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Do you do anything to the file after the file is muxed, like set permissions?
No, the error StaxRip issues should be due to MP4Box returning a error code so it should be a MP4Box issue. Somebody would have to report this to MP4Box but I'm not sure there is great support. One of the reasons why MKV is so sucessful is the author of mkvmerge provides great support here at doom9, mkvmerge is much more robust than MP4Box.

Quote:
This will happen even if you select new vob file and have them indexed so that a new ac3 file is generated. This is bad.
It depends, there might be situations were MP3 is prefered but this behavior is customizable since it depends on the input types in the audio settings. Unless you don't open other vob files you can just reopen the d2v file or even better a project file.
Old 10th July 2008, 10:57   #1986  |  Link
stax76

1.1.1.0 (2008-07-10)

* Added support for custom source PAR
* Many fixes and Improvements regarding various source formats
* Many minor fixes and improvements
* x264 updated to 900
* DGAVCDec updated to 1.0.0a26
* Some new MKV features added
* Tooltip added to tray icon showing console output
* Preparers can define which formats to be used and which not
* Various aspect ratio fixes and improvements
* VirtualDub updated to 1.8.1
* Pass through encoder improved to handle not only previously encoded project but also source files
* Since the pass through encoder was improved StaxRip can now be used to (batch) remux source files
* MediaInfo updated to version 0.7.7.2, it fixes reading aspect ratio from anamorphic avi source files
* Some fixes and improvements picking up audio files
* Added MP4 demuxing, improved MKV demuxing
* Added support for more then one IDX (vobsub) file
* Added support to reorder IDX (vobsub) subtitles
* Various setup fixes and improvements
* Many useful directories added to the main menu
* A couple of improved tooltips
* Fixed two bugs with adding jobs from a second StaxRip instance
* New command to play a sound file

Last edited by stax76; 10th July 2008 at 11:33.
Old 10th July 2008, 15:06   #1987  |  Link
weaver4

But my iPod will not play MKV.

What I do is that I have two Templates one for DivX/MP3 CQ 4.0 and one for H264/AAC CRF 24. When I encode the movie with the DivX Template then I select the H264 Template and select a d2v (or vob) file. Even though the H264 Template uses AAC for audio it loads the mp3 file instead of the ac3 file.
Old 10th July 2008, 17:33   #1988  |  Link
stax76

I've added support for CRF values using decimal numbers, unfortunately it was too difficult to add migration code, all CRF values were reset to 22.

Quote:
Even though the H264 Template uses AAC for audio it loads the mp3 file instead of the ac3 file.
In the audio settings under 'Input' delete 'mp3', it should then detect the AC3 file instead.

PS: I've reported the MP4Box bug to the MP4Box author.
Old 11th July 2008, 14:32   #1989  |  Link
weaver4

I was playing with RipBot264 since they also use MP4box. But with RipBot264 I do not get the error...very strange. Here is the mp4box command line from RipBot264.

"C:\Tools\RipBot\tools\mp4box\mp4box.exe" -tmp "E:\temp\RipBot264temp" -add "E:\temp\RipBot264temp\video.264" -fps 23.976 -add "E:\temp\RipBot264temp\audio.aac" -mpeg4 -new "J:\Movies\Movies-H264\My Movie--zrbq22-pch.mp4"
Old 11th July 2008, 15:05   #1990  |  Link
stax76

And if you use the RipBot MP4Box version with StaxRip?
Old 11th July 2008, 21:14   #1991  |  Link
weaver4

Nope, I will give that a try.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:12   #1992  |  Link
bmnot

I've noticed a lot of overcropping with v1.1.1.0, especially horizontal. It crops movies even if they don't have any black borders and dimensions are mod 16. Any reasons for that?

Also, when I save a new template and set it as default, it keeps nagging me to "upgrade" to Staxrip's default values. (I prefer user-defined filesize and mp4.)

Last edited by bmnot; 13th July 2008 at 21:19.
Old 13th July 2008, 21:45   #1993  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
I've noticed a lot of overcropping with v1.1.1.0, especially horizontal. It crops movies even if they don't have any black borders and dimensions are mod 16. Any reasons for that?
In the options there is a output mod value, by default it's 16, since there is no resize filter overcropping is necessary to achieve the output mod. Alternative would be to lower the output mod value or to resize to get a mod 16 output size, pressing Ctrl key while using the slider you can also resize keeping the source PAR which is signaled automatically then. These things are a bit difficult to understand so you might have to explain more detailed how exactly you expect StaxRip to work so I can tell you what options you need to change.

Quote:
Also, when I save a new template and set it as default, it keeps nagging me to "upgrade" to Staxrip's default values.
I don't understand, what exactly does the message tell and when does the message appear?

Last edited by stax76; 13th July 2008 at 22:07.
Old 20th July 2008, 18:24   #1994  |  Link
RickA

Wanted to offer up some kudos to you Stax.

Really like the fact you made it so one can select different parameters for the encode process - especially Bitrate by Percent. I enjoy being able to quickly, easily and accurately decide on the bitrate, filesize and quality percentage I desire the output to be. For instance, with just a few mouse clicks I can see the potential outcome of 70% quality versus 90% and how they would affect filesize and bitrate.

Yes, I frequently use a much higher % than you recommend and probably what many users use. I am sure it may probably be overkill. Yet, for the little bit extra in MB to the filesize plus a nice bitrate boost. I find the level of detail (skin, hair, fine details) in the picture to be much better with a higher % - which is worth it to me. My goal is to 'archive' DVD's for a HTPC setup. So, for example, if going from 470MB to just 520MB nets me a near 100% Q versus 70ish% for an episode I will rewatch many times. I'll gladly do that. If I get about half the source filesize, full resolution and near transparent quality I am quite happy. :-)

The Crop window is super easy to use. The Preview window showing how the video would look with selected filters is an awesome bonus. I like that you show the source fps - helpfull to know when to de-interlace, IVTC, or just leave progessive.

As you can tell I am pleased with that you have created. Look forward to using StaxRip to expand my HTPC and to the improvements you may make to StaxRip in the future.

Cheers,
Rick

'Allo 'Allo
Old 20th July 2008, 18:26   #1995  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

stax please update to the latest dgindex, 1.5.1.

thanks!!!

@rickA, have you tried out the CRF (try crf 20)option instead of shooting for a specific bitrate? Im quite sure that you will be much happier!
Old 1st August 2008, 13:27   #1996  |  Link
Poopoo

I think is had become abandonware. The slowly removing of the support forums already made clear Stax intensions.

Oh well, it was great as long as it lasted.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:39   #1997  |  Link
burfadel

I don't think stax actually wants to abandon the programme, just that development for one person takes a lot of time so I understand if he doesn't want to spend all his time on it! The source code is available, I'm sure if there are people willing to help him with its continued development that he'd graciously allow them to, and it doesn't mean he has to stop developing it himself but it would be good for both users and stax if there were people willing to do as such. Maybe a good avisynth script editor built in would get more people using it, allowing for more customisation of scripts. In any case, its is my preferred editor/encoder, so I hope its still continued!
Old 1st August 2008, 14:00   #1998  |  Link
DarkZell666
aka XaS

... and whatever he does, StaxRip isn't going to stop working just because stax stopped working on it

Q9300 OC @ 3.2ghz / Asus P5E3 / 4GB PC10600 / Geforce 8600 GTS
Old 1st August 2008, 14:41   #1999  |  Link
stax76

Next 6 month will likely to be very slow, sorry. I'll spend more time with C++, DVBViewer, MediaPortal an MediaMonkey, just yesterday I contributed to DVBViewer since most of my support requests were ignored:

http://www.dvbviewer.info/forum/inde...howtopic=28488
Old 1st August 2008, 23:36   #2000  |  Link
RunningSkittle
Skittle

What kind of work are you doing with mediamonkey? I use it. (although only because songbird doesnt like large library's yet).

Also, could you please update x264 and dgindex to the latest versions?
Closed Thread

Tags
gui, h.264, h.265, hevc, mkv, x264, x265