Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Old 30th December 2005, 11:34   #901  |  Link
charleski

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-holz
When I update from cvs I always receive a conflict warning for the file MeGUI.suo, it's a user solution options hidden file, I'am wondering if it's necessary to include this file in the cvs or if it's a my prob caused by some wrong setting?
Hmm, yeah, the .suo file probably shouldn't be there. Has anyone had problems with the .csproj and .sln files? (those are both the ones generated by VS2005).

As far as numbering goes, it's probably time to shift to 0.2.4 .

@Mutant_Fruit: You can take a look at the first page for doom9's TODO list. Or just see if there are any things you'd like to add for yourself (which is why I started writing code for it).
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 12:56   #902  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

@All
I will perform a little code refactoring today
dimzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 13:23   #903  |  Link
Mutant_Fruit

Quote:
redesign the x264 configuration
At the risk of biting off more than i can chew, is anyone working on this? And more importantly, does anyone mind if i do take a crack at this?

I don't want to choose something that'd take too long for me to complete and end up holding up development :P Also, what exactly needs to be done design wise? Just restructure it and make it look nice? Or make sure there are dropdowns/checkboxes for all the x264 settings and all obsolete ones are removed?

If theres something smaller someone would like me to take a crack at, let me know.
Mutant_Fruit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 14:00   #904  |  Link
max-holz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimzon
@All
I will perform a little code refactoring today
Plan to insert the new --bime option?
max-holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 14:39   #905  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

@All
WTF

Code:
In C:\Documents and Settings\DAlexandrov\My Documents\Visual Studio Projects\1\MeGui\MeGUI-src.CVS: "C:\Program Files\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "commit" "-m" "" "xvidSettings.cs"
CVSROOT=:ext:dimzon@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/megui

cvs: rcs.c:4188: RCS_checkout: Assertion `rev == ((void *)0) || ((*__ctype_b_loc ())[(int) (((unsigned char) *rev))] & (unsigned short int) _ISdigit)' failed.
cvs [commit aborted]: received abort signal

Error, CVS operation failed
PS. This is my first CVS expirience (using MS VSS for 5 years, never CVS)

Last edited by dimzon; 30th December 2005 at 14:42.
Old 30th December 2005, 14:45   #906  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by max-holz
Plan to insert the new --bime option?
no! Just little code cleanup && refactoring
Old 30th December 2005, 15:50   #907  |  Link
charleski

You'd have to ask the TortoiseCVS people why you got that error on commit dimzon. Unfortunately I know little about it .

BTW, please update the changelog.txt file as well when you make any changes.
Old 30th December 2005, 16:14   #908  |  Link
dimzon
BeHappy/MeGUI developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski
You'd have to ask the TortoiseCVS people why you got that error on commit dimzon. Unfortunately I know little about it .

BTW, please update the changelog.txt file as well when you make any changes.
Changed files: http://www.mytempdir.com/352243

1) modified VideoCodecSettings::clone method implementation
2) removed VideoCodecSettings::clone overrides from all VideoCodecSettings descendants
3) FourCCs is now defined per-type, not per-instance and is readonly!
4) Minor version increased
Old 30th December 2005, 18:23   #909  |  Link
charleski

Ok, added dimzon's changes to the CVS (and updated changelog.txt).
Published a new file release.
Removed MeGUI.suo from the CVS.
Old 30th December 2005, 19:59   #910  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

New x264 switch: --bime (bidirectional motion extimation)
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 20:29   #911  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
At the risk of biting off more than i can chew, is anyone working on this? And more importantly, does anyone mind if i do take a crack at this?
I don't think so. What is needed/expected? The GUI design basically comes from early January 04 when I made the first release (phew, it's about time I can celebrate the first birthday of my very first dvd backup software).. the grouping was based on what at that time made sense to me. Since then, there have been many new options, some that came and went again, others that stuck.. at this point a different grouping probably makes more sense as new options keep getting added where there's free space, not necessarily at a place that would be most logical. I would suggest you attack the first two tabs first, leaving the whole zones thing alone (it's quite complex and I have some plans for that when it comes to cutting via avisynth). Do not be afraid to change the size of the dialog to better accomodate a more sensible grouping of the available options.

And then there's the new --bime option (which I guess would make the most sense when grouped together with other b-frame related options).

Also, looking at the poll, I propose that we permanently move to .NET 2.0.. so that new development can make full use of the new goodies of the new platform, and we can attack the removal of deprecated code and get rid of all the warnings.
Old 30th December 2005, 20:50   #912  |  Link
max-holz

Someone could explain to me this continuous error?

In C:\MeGUI\Source\MeGUI-src.CVS: "C:\Programmi\TortoiseCVS\cvs.exe" "-q" "update" "-d" "-P" "."
CVSROOT=server:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/megui

cvs.exe update: Empty password used - try 'cvs login' with a real password

cvs.exe [update aborted]: Error reading from server cvs.sourceforge.net: 0

max-holz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 21:11   #913  |  Link
Mutant_Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I would suggest you attack the first two tabs first, leaving the whole zones thing alone (it's quite complex and I have some plans for that when it comes to cutting via avisynth). Do not be afraid to change the size of the dialog to better accomodate a more sensible grouping of the available options.
Rightio then. I'll get cracking on that tomorrow. I've got VC# express installed, so i'll use that (meaning .NET2.0).

I'll read through what options are being displayed, what options are displayed in the x264 dialog itself, and structure the new window with that in mind. Expect me to come back with questions

@Doom9: I got your PM, and i fully agree with your thinking. We'll see how i go with this.
Old 30th December 2005, 21:20   #914  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
Expect me to come back with questions
will try to answer them to your satisfaction. Don't trust anything you hear in between me coming home from the new year's party and 12+ hours after that though
Old 30th December 2005, 22:31   #915  |  Link
bob0r
Pain and suffering

Wow nice, CVS :)

And yes, SF always has weird errors.

I myself have to retry like 10x also before it works:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/megui co -P MeGUI-src.CVS

@Sharktooth, yeah LOL, when i update ffdshow i need to wait for the damn files to update also :)

Browsing http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.p...MeGUI-src.CVS/ until a new version number is visible is the best solution!

@All:

Here a simple script to get megui source and compile it with .net 1.1, example from my system:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

## Change paths
megui_dir=/home/user/MeGUI-src.CVS/
net_dir=C:\\/WINDOWS\\/Microsoft.NET\\/Framework\\/v1.1.4322\\/

if [ ! -d "$megui_dir" ]; then
 while true; do
 cd; cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/megui co -P MeGUI-src.CVS;
  if [ -d "$megui_dir" ]; then
  break
  fi
 sleep 10
 done
fi

cd $megui_dir;

sed -e 's/csc \/res/'$net_dir'csc \/res/' compile.bat > compile_m.bat;
start //low //b //w compile_m x264-svn;

## Manually enter: exit
## Blame csc.exe, not me :)
bob0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2005, 23:13   #916  |  Link
charleski

Ok, to simplify things a bit and open it up, doom9 suggested we used the patch tracker. Just go to the main megui sourceforge page, click on Patches then click on Submit New on the 2nd line. Fill in a description of the changes and attach the files you've changed.

You'll need to be registered with SourceForge, but don't need anything special other than that. Just use the anonymous pserver method to get the code from the CVS. Unfortuantely SF can be a bit slow, and I suspect you're seeing a problem with timeouts max-holz, I had similar problems when setting the CVS up at first. When that happens it's best just to wait 20 mins or so.
Old 31st December 2005, 00:44   #917  |  Link
LiFe
PC Dom: Computer Support

@Mutant_Fruit: Can you please help me implement my earlier request for context sensitive help while you're re-working the x264 gui?

Am fairly experienced with video compression, but a newbie with x264, and it took me an hour last night to work out what the majority of the more complex options did (lots of doom9 searches). I'd really appreiciate being able to integrate all the available info into the GUI, so anyone with a video compression background can understand what each option does with a recommended range of settings.

Personally I'm thinking that a layout more like Nero Recode gives pretty good settings grouping. And I'd love to see a box at the bottom or side (like the cmd line) that will show info about each setting you hover the mouse over.

I am happy to write this from all the guides and recommendations in the forum.

Please let me know.
LiFe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2005, 00:50   #918  |  Link
Mutant_Fruit

@life: I'll gladly put that in. Just let me know what info you want displayed, and roughly how you want it to be displayed and i'll work it in somehow. It'd be a shame to do everything up now, and then have to redo it again later to allow that.

If you need to talk to me, i use MSN (mostly), so you could PM me an MSN address to add.

EDIT: Got any screenshots of nero recode? I don't actually have that installed.
Old 31st December 2005, 01:53   #919  |  Link
charleski

Just my personal opinion, but after having spent the past few months encoding several videos a week (archiving stuff from off-air), I think the most critical parameters are:
1) bitrate (obviously)
2) deblocking parameters (A bit of a Black Art atm: Despite the stern admonitions in the mplayer encoding pages I've found myself moving them steadily down from 0,0 and am using -2,-2 right now, but it's very much a matter of taste.)
3) Keyframe interval (seekability is important IMO, one of the big advantages of watching stuff you've encoded is that you can rewind and skip ahead to bits you want to see, but there's obviously a tradeoff in terms of compressibility).
4) SAR (Right now this should automtically be set by the Avisynth creator if you load the file in directly. But if you're loading files in a batch, this is a field you need to check. One of the main advantages of mp4 is its enforced AR transform on playback, something that needs to be used since the majority of sources implement anamorphic input and keeping that resolution gives a huge advantage.)

[BTW, and this is only my own opinion, I found Nero Recode's GUI a bit confusing (particularly with regard to their resize/AR element, in which they hide too much). I moved over to x264/meGUI because it's more transparent in terms of what's actually going on.]

Last edited by charleski; 31st December 2005 at 01:59.
Old 31st December 2005, 02:02   #920  |  Link
berrinam

Anonymous CVS access works for me, but developer access now seems to have stopped working. TortoiseCVS comes up with this error:
Code:
cvs checkout: failed to create lock directory for `/cvsroot/megui/MeGUI-src.CVS' (/cvsroot/megui/MeGUI-src.CVS/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
cvs checkout: failed to obtain dir lock in repository `/cvsroot/megui/MeGUI-src.CVS'
cvs [checkout aborted]: read lock failed - giving up
cvs.exe checkout: in directory .:
cvs.exe checkout: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory

A google of "failed to obtain dir lock in repository" shows this result, which gives the advice:
Quote:
I am told that this happens sometimes when a check in doesn't work correctly, and the project admin needs to delete the #cvs.lock file.

Last edited by berrinam; 31st December 2005 at 02:04.
berrinam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
development, megui, not a help thread