Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 4th April 2024, 20:40   #2041  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
ok so chaptereditor and mkvtoolnix results in mismatching frames for the video compared to the disc
Do you had demuxed the tracks inside cE? I have never issues with the video frames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WontonNoodle View Post
dgdemux and eac3to result in the same frames as the disc
however dgdemux dts track progressively gets more and more out of sync (starts with 0 difference, then 11 ms delay, then up to 54 ms delay vs the eac3to track as the movie goes on)

so either the dgdemux or eac3to track is correct? any ideas as to which one is the right one.
i also tried on a non branching disc and mkvtoolnix, dgdemux, and eac3to all result in the same audio sync.
Both tracks, eac3to.dts and dgdemux.dts are fine, but not perfect, and this is also never possible.

The whole issue comes from the different durations of the frames. A video frame has a duration of 24000/1001 ms (round about 41,708 ms). A .DTS frame has a duration of 32ms (hope I'm right)

Let's say our movie has only one video frame:
When we use only one Audio frame there are now more than 9 ms playtime of the video without sound.
For Blu-ray and maybe all other disc formats:
The Audios are always longer than the video.

So we have to use 2 Audio frames for our One-Video-Frame-Movie.
Now is the Audio duration 64ms and plays 22ms longer then the video.

But when the movie uses multiple m2ts files, for each m2ts there is now a bit more Audio as Video.
eac3to and DGDemux drops Audio frames when the desynch reach a certain limit.

There are also more discussion on Reddit.
I have written a lot email with this user and he work on a method where no demuxing is necessary.
He means removing Audio data is not good, and he inspired me to look deeper in the BD-specs.
And he is absolute right.
But to keep the entire data and playback then correctly is currently not possible, but maybe in a near future.
I am excited if he can make it to run.
When you preserve all the m2ts files in separate mkv files and use Linked-Ordered-Chapters, this could work.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2024, 15:30   #2042  |  Link
Ripman

GM M. Just posting to let you know that your sw is “top-shelf.” Feature rich, never crashes, sensible layout, man pages, prior versions, cli…. It’s all there. I even see Reddit posts about mkvtoolnix. Really great product.

Thanks for the new version too. Best….
Ripman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2024, 15:47   #2043  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

Thank you very much for your kind words!

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 20:44   #2044  |  Link
NumberSix

Hi, all

New to this forum - apologies if this query is in the wrong place.

Have been using mkvtoolnix for a number of years now and it has been a fantastic bit of software - many thanks to the author.

I am just trying to remux rips of my copies of the Top Gun 4K UHD Blu rays and am confused about how to handle the Dolby Vision data.

I am using MakeMKV to copy BDMV folder structures from the discs, and then eac3to to demux to individual streams from the relevant playlists. The demuxing process produces two video streams. My understanding one is the HDR10 "base" layer, and the second (1080p "resolution") stream is the "enhanced" layer track used for DV metadata.

My question is, how should this be processed when remuxing into an MKV using mkvtoolnix? I am simply adding both files to the GUI as separate video tracks - but I have no idea if this is the right process to use?

On v81.0, if it's relevant.

Thanks!
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2024, 20:47   #2045  |  Link
Mosu
MKVToolNix author

mkvmerge can read Dolby Vision directly from other Matroska files or from MPEG transport streams (M2TS), but it cannot combine two raw elementary streams. Therefore the "demux the tracks with eac3to" stept is breaking this workflow. Why are you demuxing in the first place?

If I ever ask you to upload something, please use my file server.
Mosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 00:29   #2046  |  Link
NumberSix

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I am demuxing due to the mixed results I've had when using mkvtoolnix or other tools to read directly from mpls/m2ts. Using eac3to to demux before remuxing in a tool like mkvtoolnix has been the most reliable approach to dealing with titles that use seamless branching on the disc.

Is there any way to combine the streams prior to feeding into mkvtoolnix?
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:10   #2047  |  Link
hubblec4
Matroska find' ich toll

Hi NumberSix
For demuxing seamless branching discs with HEVC(+DV) you must use DGDemux for demuxing. And better you use chapterEditor, it is extra designed for such a task.
hubblec4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
matroska