Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 11th September 2010, 12:17   #1  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

MPC-HC LOGO and Explorer-ICONS-PACK Contest Entries

For the next stable build (1.5) we want to decide on a new background logo and explorer icons.

In this thread everyone is free to submit as many entries as they want for both logo and icons, but they have to pass the requirements listed below.

The MPC-HC-Team will choose 5 finalists.
The 5 logos will be added to mpc-hc, replacing the existing ones, the winner will be the default logo
The 5 icons packs will be added to sourceforge, only the winner of the contest will be included with mpc-hc.

The winner will be chosen by community vote, in a new thread that will be opened some weeks before 1.5 is released.

Here are the requirements/rules for entries:
1. The icon/logo has to contain a reference to "moving pictures"
2. The icon/logo can be displayed at any resolution
2.1. The logo must be a vector image, scaling has to be possible to wall size posters(like 8000x8000 resolutions)
2.2. The icon does not have to be exactly the same for all sizes, but there has to be a consistent theme for all sizes
3. The logo has a burn-in friendly background
4. The logo has to have a x64 edition twin, this should be a natural part of the image.

the rules are stored and revised on the wiki here: https://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/mp...i/requirements

NOTE: The requirements may change during the contest, if so we will inform you and pm the submitter for each entry that no longer passes them so they can be updated.

Licence: The logo and icons added will fall under GPL2+ so they have to be legal.

PS: If you really love the existing icons or logos you can enter them into the competition too, only entered items can be considered.
PPS: If you make/have an icon for any of the few icons mpc-hc uses in the .exe you may put them in this thread too, but these are not votable, including them or not is up to MPC-HC-team(this does not include the skinnable controls, they go here).

Last edited by tetsuo55; 11th September 2010 at 13:39.
tetsuo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 17:19   #2  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Wow i am surpised.
We usually get flooded with requests to change icons, logos and gui but now nobody has responded yet!
I know it takes a while to create this stuff but no responses?
Old 18th September 2010, 18:33   #3  |  Link
khagaroth

Well, making good looking and consistent icons is pretty hard, especially if there are so many. Logos are simpler but you still need some good artistic idea for something unique and good looking.
I don't think there is any reasonable number of people frequenting this forum with enough artistic know-how to pull this off. Would be probably better to post info about this contest on DeviantArt or alike.
khagaroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 19:36   #4  |  Link
LloydA

Alternatively, you could get a quote from Iconfactory, and start a fundraiser. They are not that expensive. (Or ask them to do it pro bono.)
LloydA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2010, 23:15   #5  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Interesting that you both would say something like that.

We often get bombarded with mockups of logos/icons or links to ones that " would be great replacements for the defaults "
People seem to want "nicer" artwork.

This contest is really for the users, if nobody enters anything then we will know that the current logo and icon are fine and we will keep them.
Old 19th September 2010, 03:43   #6  |  Link
Sharktooth
Mr. Sandman

just in case you need a freeware and powerful software to make icons you can get icoFX or Greenfish Icon Editor Pro.
for the logo you can use Gimp, Paint.net, MyPaint or Inkscape (free as well).
sorry for the intrusion

Last edited by Sharktooth; 19th September 2010 at 04:12.
Sharktooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 19:28   #7  |  Link
HackAR

I run into this thread while searching for an mpc-x64 icon.
Since I haven't found any. I've made one by myself. Its slightly altered mpc-hc icon:

.ICO is in the attached ZIP and also here

So, if you've run into my problem, you may use it.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip mpc-x64.zip (60.0 KB, 283 views)
HackAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 01:55   #8  |  Link
JanWillem32

Are we also going to remove all the icon library's with lower than 32-bit color? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx
(Even Windows 98 can use 32-bit icons, by the way.)
The image above shows a good size base resolution of 256×256 pixels. Smaller icons should be easy to generate from that.
Anyway, good luck everyone! I'll keep an eye out for any artwork posted here.
JanWillem32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 12:13   #9  |  Link
Mercury_22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackAR View Post
I run into this thread while searching for an mpc-x64 icon.
Since I haven't found any. I've made one by myself. Its slightly altered mpc-hc icon:

.ICO is in the attached ZIP and also here

So, if you've run into my problem, you may use it.
Can you change the background from white to black and use other fonts for "x64" (maybe the same fonts as in "321" ) ?
And if you can change the background to black can you also make a test version with white color for the "x64" ?
Old 7th February 2011, 16:15   #10  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanWillem32 View Post
Are we also going to remove all the icon library's with lower than 32-bit color? http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms997636.aspx
(Even Windows 98 can use 32-bit icons, by the way.)
The image above shows a good size base resolution of 256×256 pixels. Smaller icons should be easy to generate from that.
Anyway, good luck everyone! I'll keep an eye out for any artwork posted here.
i do not think it is wise to remove the lower bitdepth ones, you never know what resolutions people are using. like in remote desktop it wont use 32bit icons to save bandwith.