Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Decrypting

Old 23rd April 2008, 21:08   #1  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

GUIDE: How to Decrypt/Rip Blu-Ray Discs (UPDATED!) *Information on HD-DVDs included*

]*********************

PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS GUIDE IS IN THE PROCESS OF BEING UPDATED WITH CURRENT/UP-TO-DATE PROGRAMS TO BE USED IN THE DECRYPTING/RIPPING/COMPRESSION/AND PLAYBACK PROCESS, AS WELL AS ADDITIONAL COMPRESSION STEPS THAT PRESERVE QUALITY BUT SAVE HD SPACE [U]AND[U] INCLUDE MKV CONVERSION INSTRUCTIONS AS I AM CONVINCED THIS IS FAR MORE EFFICIENT BASED ON AVAILABLE FREE MKV MEDIA PLAYERS AND USAGE OF CPU RESOURCES WHILE PLAYING BACK. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME TIME AS I WORK FULL TIME BUT NOTE THAT THIS GUIDE AND IT'S USEFULLNESS WILL HOPEFULLY BE VASTLY IMPROVED IN THE COMING WEEKS. THANKS SO MUCH TO DOOM9 FOR STICKYING THIS A WHILE BACK AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL ONCE AGAIN BECOME A "GO-TO" GUIDE FOR NEWBIES.

BOTTOM LINE, THE NEW PROCESS WILL BE MORE EFFICIENT AND EASIER ACROSS THE BOARD.

UNTIL THEN, ALL THE BEST

~Q

How to decrypt Blu-Ray discs using AnyDVD
How to rip Blu-Ray Discs using AnyDVD
How to rip only movie track from Blu-Ray disc
How to play-back your newly created track with PowerDVD

This guide will describe an extremely basic (5 (or sometimes 6) step) method of decrypting Blu-Ray and HD-DVD discs, excluding all "unnecessary" audio tracks, creating an image (.iso) of your movie, and finally, how to play your newly created disc (.iso). The method described here essentially allows you extract only the feature from your BD disc, and store it for later use or burn it (if you have a Blu-Ray burner) to disc. Please note that there are definitely multiple ways to do this and multiple programs that can be used. In addition, there are many many more steps that can be included for various processing needs, this guide is meant to cover just the absolute basics and hopefully help out those who are just starting out. This guide is broken up into 2 sections: the first is devoted to Blu-Rays, and the second, to HD-DVDs.

Blu-Ray Discs:

Programs needed:

1. AnyDVD HD 6.4.0.0 or higher (Slysoft - payware)
2. BDinfo (Cinema Squid - freeware)
2. TSMuxer (smartLabs - freeware)
4. ImgBurn (Lightning UK! - freeware)
5. Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive (Daemon Tools/Slysoft - freeware)
6. PowerDVD 7 (Cyberlink - payware)

Step 1: Decrypt Disc/Rip Main Movie to Hard Drive

With AnyDVD HD running:

-Open TSMuxer and select "Browse".
-Navigate to your BD drive, right click and select "Open".
-under the top level folder (you're Blu-Ray disc), you will see the following folders:

AUXDATA
BACKUP
BDJO
CLPINF
JAR
META
PLAYLIST
STREAM

-Generally, all the files we need will be located under the "STREAM" folder and will be .m2ts files named in the following way (or something similar):

00000.m2ts
00001.m2ts
00002.m2ts
and so on...

Most often, will find the main feature is contained in one of these .m2ts files, always the largest one. When browsing with TSMuxer, sort by size and check the size of the largest .m2ts file; if it's, for example, 15 gigs and there are no other files remotely close in size, its probably safe to bet your complete movie is contained in that .m2ts file. You can check quickly by simply opening the file with powerdvd. You may not hear any audio, or it may be in another language, but just ignore that for now we'll deal with that later.

-If your disc has seamless branching (i.e. the main movie is contained in more than 1 .m2ts file) see the instructions below:

Open BdInfo amd browse to the drive containing your Blu-Ray disc. BDInfo will automatically begin scanning your disc (give it a few mintues, it's an amazing program!) There is a host of information compiled here, but for the purpose of this guide, we simply need to focus on the information contained in the first section. Under the "Playlist File" heading, you'll see the correct .MLPS which represents the playlist of the main movie on this disc.
-Once you have that information, go back to TSMuxer. Browse to the "PLAYLIST" folder and select the .MLPS file that BDInfo isolated for you.
-You will now see all the normal feature .m2ts stream options appear in TSMuxer. I.e. various video/audio/language/subtitle tracks
-the length of the video track should be the same as the length of your movie
-It's imporant to remember that once you've selected the correct .MLPS file, you can proceed in the exact same manner as if your disc has one main movie .m2ts file.
-Follow muxing instructions information located in guide
below.

Step 2: Mux audio and video with TSMuxer
-Open the feature .m2ts file (or .mlps if need be).
-Select only the necessary audio and video files. This can be done by just selecting the MPEG-2, VC-1, or H.264 video file and the english audio track. This will be in DTS, DTS-HD, TRUE-HD, AC3 or LPCM. The language of the audio should be displayed next to where its format is indicated. For a disc purchased in North America, the master audio track (DTS, DTS-HD, etc...) will be the english audio track.
-Once you've selected the tracks you want to keep, select "Create Blu-Ray Disk" under Output
-Hit "Start Muxing".
-this will create a folder titled "BDMV" on your desktop (or wherever you place it on your system). This folder will have the same blu-ray structure as I outlinded under step 1 of the BD disc section.

Step4: Create an .iso of the "BDMV" folder with ImgBurn
-Open ImgBurn and select "Create image file from files/folders" (Clone DVD can also be used).
-select the BDMV folder created by TSmuxer
-Click on the icon of a folder and disc to start creating the .iso

Step 5: mount image with Daemon tools
-right click on the Daemon Tools icon in the system tray (bottom right of desktop)
-select "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM"
-selct one of your devices, then "Mount Image"
-choose the .iso you just created with ImgBurn

PowerDVD should now start-up on its own and play the .iso of your Blu-Ray disc you just created.

HD-DVD's:

Programs needed:

1. AnyDVD HD 6.4.0.0 or higher (Slysoft - payware)
2. EVODemux (Uknown - freeware)
3. TSMuxer (smartLabs - freeware)
4. ImgBurn (Lightning UK! - freeware)
5. Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone Drive (Daemon Tools/Slysoft - freeware)
6. PowerDVD 7 (Cyberlink - payware)

Step 1: Decrypt Disc/Rip Main Movie files to Hard Drive
-Open EVODemux
-In the upper field, click the folder icon and navigate to your HD-DVD drive
-Select the first "feature.evo file --->important info below on how to locate this file on the Disc:
- There are some differenes between HD-DVD and Blu-Ray folder structure which should be noted - For an HD-DVD, you will see a folder under the top-level folder titled "HDDVD_TS". In this folder you will find all the original files contained on your HD-DVD disc. In this guide we are processing in order to only keep the main movie - we are getting rid of the menu, those annoying FBI warnings (if you're in the US) that you cannot fast-forward past, and all "extras" (the making-of, interviews with actors/directors etc..) The main movie will most likley be divided up into 2 .EVO files in this folder, titled "feature1.evo" and "feature2.evo" or something similar. If its not, just look for the two largest files in that folder - these comprise the main movie.

Step 2: Demux feature files in EVODemux
-you will need to make a few changes in the settings of EVODemux before proceeding. Under options, make sure that "Continue with the next EVO", "Fast EVO checking" (only the first 300mbs)", "Detailed Info", "Auto Read" and "Read the .VTI file" are all checked. Open the "HDDVD_TS" and select the "feature1.evo" file. It will read the file which may take a minute or so. Once this has completed go to the "Video/Audio" tab and eliminate all "unnecessary" video and audio streams. To do this, uncheck all but the following:

Video.stream.0 (which will labled as "VC-1.steam.0" or "H.264.steam.0")
Audio.stream.0 (which be labled DD+steam.00)

-Please note that these selections will vary depending on your needs, but the above will get you the 1080p movie video and the english audio track for all discs sold in the United States.
-Hit "Demux". This will take some time. What you are doing here is extracting the two streams want to keep which combine ("Mux") back together again in the next step.

Step 3: Mux audio and video with TSMuxer
-Open the video and audio tracks you've just demux with EVODemux in TSMuxer.
-Select "Create Blu-Ray Disk" under Output
-Hit "Start Muxing".
-this will create a folder titled "BDMV" on your desktop (or wherever you place it on your system).

Step4: Create an .iso of the "BDMV" folder with ImgBurn
-Open ImgBurn and select "Create image file from files/folders"
-select the BDMV folder created by TSmuxer
-Click on the icon of a folder and disc to start creating the .iso

Step 5: mount image with Daemon tools
-right click on the Daemon Tools icon in the system tray (bottom right of desktop)
-select "Virtual CD/DVD-ROM"
-selct one of your devices, then "Mount Image"
-choose the .iso you just created with ImgBurn, make sure to select UDF 2.50.

PowerDVD should now start-up on its own and play the .iso of your HD-DVD you just created.

**Update for potential issue with Daemon Tools***(Thanks to SamuriHL)

Although I have not experienced this, it has come to my attention that there some users may face an issue when using Daemon Tools to play the .ISO files they've created. This issue can be solved by unitalling Daemon tools AND the SPDT driver, and finally, switching to Slysoft's "Virtual Clone Drive. For more information on the SPDT driver and how to unistall it, check out this link:

http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads

You must unistall this driver separately along with unistalling the Daemon Tools program itself.

Virtual Clone Drive can be found here:

http://www.slysoft.com/en/virtual-clonedrive.html

For more information on converting/encoding/compressing your video, please follow the link below: (thanks Dat720)

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137128

Good luck, and happy ripping!

Last edited by QuadcoreHD; 8th February 2012 at 08:46. Reason: Updated Information
QuadcoreHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 01:35   #2  |  Link
MrBDRipper

Thanks QuadcoreHD.

There is another easy-to-use way(by AVGo Media Recorder) that can cover both ripping HD-DVD and ripping Blu-ray Disc, and just need one software and several simple steps. Please have a look.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137132
MrBDRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2008, 08:39   #3  |  Link
dat720

Good work there, very easy process, if only i had a BRRW drive to even bother with this (or enough hdd space for that matter), maybe you could point out that demuxing the tracks is not neccecary if they want a original 1:1 of the disc.

I have saved the guide tho for future reference... love google docs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBDRipper View Post
Thanks QuadcoreHD.
There is another easy-to-use way(by AVGo Media Recorder) that can cover both ripping HD-DVD and ripping Blu-ray Disc, and just need one software and several simple steps. Please have a look.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=137132
Dude stop hocking your software every chance you get, you are bordering on spamming, if your software is good and gets the results you claim it does let people test it and gather some results.

Some feedback for your program:
Does not work with Media Player 11, which is kind of the default player in Vista..... Sory, misread you previous post, i thought you said it can capture from WMP, but you actually said it should work with any file WMP can play

Would be good if it didn't frame grab, as this process requires people not use their computer for at least 2 hours while this process happens, and i cant speak for everyone, but my most powerful computer i use for video work is also the pc i use for email and general internet purposes, which would leave me maybe 2 chances a day to grab a video, overnight and when i leave for work.

Another thing is some people don't even have direct show codecs installed on their machine, i use Mplayer/Mencoder, ffmpeg and VLC, which all have their own codecs and do not require direct show filters be installed to be able to playback video/audio files

Last edited by dat720; 24th April 2008 at 08:57.
dat720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 21:37   #4  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

Hmmm, there haven't been many comments about this guide, i was really hoping alot of people would find this very helpful (newbies like me at least :P) Are there changes that should be made?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Old 26th April 2008, 21:38   #5  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

Maybe i should change the title to all caps with like 40 exclamation points?????

totally kidding :P
Old 26th April 2008, 22:25   #6  |  Link
jamd1

This is useful - I have only used the GUI's so far and not manually remuxed the audio . A useful addition would be shrinking options tho ;-)
jamd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2008, 22:35   #7  |  Link
SamuriHL

I would put a comment in there to make sure they're selecting UDF 2.50 in ImgBurn when making the ISO. Otherwise they're going to run into problems. Feel free, also, to post the script I gave you for making an ISO from a folder. That can also help and will ensure they get the options right. Other than that I'd maybe put in a section on seamless branching and how to maybe go about doing that. Looks good though.

EDIT: What I mean is how to find the playlist to open with the latest version of TSMuxer since it can handle seamless branching discs by opening the playlist.
SamuriHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 00:42   #8  |  Link
jamd1

Looking through this again - Could the following be done.
1. Split the .m2ts into DVD9 SIZES -
2. Remux the sound you want in the .m2ts files - converting into separate BDMV folders.
3. Burn the 2-3 split files onto dvd9 and play in PS3 or Blu-ray Player.
If so would the resulting discs play without problem.
Thx for any input.
Old 27th April 2008, 00:48   #9  |  Link
SamuriHL

Yea, it's been done that way before. You can use tssplitter to make the sizes you want and master each one into a separate disc.
Old 27th April 2008, 02:02   #10  |  Link
blutach
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadcoreHD View Post
Hmmm, there haven't been many comments about this guide, i was really hoping alot of people would find this very helpful (newbies like me at least :P) Are there changes that should be made?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadcoreHD View Post
Maybe i should change the title to all caps with like 40 exclamation points?????

totally kidding :P
Please do not bump your posts. And use an appropriate title. Please see rules 9 and 12.

Regards

Only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media.

Last edited by blutach; 27th April 2008 at 05:44.
blutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2008, 05:35   #11  |  Link
jamd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
I would put a comment in there to make sure they're selecting UDF 2.50 in ImgBurn when making the ISO. Otherwise they're going to run into problems. Feel free, also, to post the script I gave you for making an ISO from a folder. That can also help and will ensure they get the options right. Other than that I'd maybe put in a section on seamless branching and how to maybe go about doing that. Looks good though.

EDIT: What I mean is how to find the playlist to open with the latest version of TSMuxer since it can handle seamless branching discs by opening the playlist.
Does this mean that when you burn the files to dvd-R with nero that you need to use the manual UDF settings and set them to UDF 2.50? ( Just when trying this nero gets upset and gives a warning message about the resulting DVD may not be playable on all systems.)
Old 27th April 2008, 15:25   #12  |  Link
SamuriHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamd1 View Post
Does this mean that when you burn the files to dvd-R with nero that you need to use the manual UDF settings and set them to UDF 2.50? ( Just when trying this nero gets upset and gives a warning message about the resulting DVD may not be playable on all systems.)
If you're going to use Nero, then yes, you would need to manually set it to UDF 2.50. And of course the resulting DVD may not be playable on all systems...it's designed for Blu-ray players only! Personally even though I own Nero I never use it for burning anymore. I always use ImgBurn.
Old 27th April 2008, 20:46   #13  |  Link
dat720

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuriHL View Post
Personally even though I own Nero I never use it for burning anymore. I always use ImgBurn.
I second that, ImgBurn is my sole burning/iso creation application... in the last few years freeware programs have gotten awesome!!!
Old 28th April 2008, 03:50   #14  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

@blutach, sorry about bumping the post, i had no intention of violating any kind of rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blutach View Post
And use an appropriate title. Please see rules 9 and 12.

Regards

Last edited by blutach; 28th April 2008 at 07:03. Reason: remove potential R4 infringement
Old 29th April 2008, 20:09   #15  |  Link
Taktaal

What's the usual way to convert a Bluray movie to a format like AVI or MKV? Can you do something with Graphedit?
Taktaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2008, 21:01   #16  |  Link
SamuriHL

There are a variety of ways to do it. The easiest I've found is with a gui like MeGUI, RipBot, or SUPER. It's not generally a quick process but it works fairly well. (Ok, it's not quick because I'm reencoding the video, I admit it! ) I'm sure other people have their way of doing it, as well.
Old 29th April 2008, 21:31   #17  |  Link
rica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taktaal View Post
What's the usual way to convert a Bluray movie to a format like AVI or MKV? Can you do something with Graphedit?
This is the way i go:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=136505
rica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2008, 16:48   #18  |  Link
QuadcoreHD

@rica - Thanks for referencing the other thread regarding Taktaal's question.

FYI, what I'm trying to do with this guide is exclude any/all additional processing that can be done, including splitting into DVD-9 sizes, encoding to different formats, or shrinking/reducing file sizes, all this can be found in many other very useful threads on this site. Also, that is absolutely not to say i don't appreciate the input, but I think it's more useful to keep things as simple as possible here. I will do some searching and reference other threads however for those seeking additional information.

I really want this guide to be as simple/straightforward as possible and only include the absolute basics of the process, and to help beginners, and I think including that information may confuse some people. I did however update the UDF 2.50 information; i think that is extremely useful :P

thanks to everyone who answered others questions in the posts, some very legitimate questions and very good answers. Your help is much appreciated.

Last edited by QuadcoreHD; 9th May 2008 at 16:52.
Old 16th May 2008, 20:06   #19  |  Link
eternalkp

newbie here.

i tried to back up HD DVD, i used all the steps. get it to play in powerdvd 8 ultra...but NO sound. please help.
eternalkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2008, 12:37   #20  |  Link
dat720

your gunna need to supply more information dude, what tracks did you rip from the disc? what format are they? what disc is it? have you tried the files in another media player such as vlc or mplayer? are you sure you demuxed and remuxed a audio track?