Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 9th January 2004, 15:50   #61  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

damn, too much questions!!!

- For EHQ using "string" instead of "uint", does RV8 use the same EHQ setting as RV9?
- For RV8, does the first-pass tweak works?

Quote:
mpeg-4 gives you the freedom of choice (once again thats the beauty of it )
RealAnime and Surreal IU gives me freedom, and none of them uses mpeg-4 (yeah, I know, Surreal UI will support mpeg4, bit it'S not it's main goal ). I can't use Nero or whatever GUI external app, since my main goal is point&click batch encode using my own GUIs
Old 9th January 2004, 16:20   #62  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Yes, the MP4 container is great for HE-AAC and AAC. Like I mentioned, we have MP4 playback working, but it was decided not to make our MP4 renderer available for auto-update, because it would confuse the average user, if he or she then tried to play MP4 video, which we do not currently support, since we have not yet worked out the licensing problem, even though we in fact have our own implementation (not Envivio's). It may be possible to obtain our MP4 renderer through auto-update when trying to play 3GPP content... I am not sure, I get it from our build repository manually.

We could have avoided the confusion with better error messages, as was suggested, but alas, perhaps for Gold.

You see, MPEG-4 is all well and nice for interoperability, but when we give away the player for free, the licensing terms are too expensive, I have been told. For Gold, I am not sure if RealPlayer will rip to AAC or MP4 fileformat. I hope MP4.
Old 9th January 2004, 16:37   #63  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
because it would confuse the average user
i guess you will confuse the average user more by storing aac in .ra cause they will expect to get a .m4a or .mp4 output as known from all other aac encoder (and only usable that way on ipods etc...)

lets hope that real changes its mind and rips aac directly into .mp4 (not only with gold) and adds a nice error message if someone tries to play a video mp4 (like "realplayer doesnt support mpeg-4 video playback") and than only plays the aac audio...

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free

Last edited by bond; 9th January 2004 at 17:25.
bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2004, 16:45   #64  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
i guess you will confuse the average user more by storing aac in .ra cause they will expect to get a .m4a or .mp4 output as known from all other aac encoder (and only usable that way on ipods etc...)
I hear you, and the codec team has strongly been pushing another output format than RM for AAC, because we knew there would be issues like these. Unfortunately we only have "one" vote in a rather complicated decision process. I will be sure to forward this forum's feedback to the right channel.
Old 9th January 2004, 16:51   #65  |  Link
bond

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
I hear you
ok than i will stop the ranting now

edit: and i splitted the "what codec brings more freedom" discussion
continue here if you want: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=68444

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis

Last edited by bond; 9th January 2004 at 17:26.
Old 9th January 2004, 18:53   #66  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@datascab: sorry, i temporarily lost your questions:

I did an encode last night using rv9 ehq and cook 5.1.
When i play it in the new real player the visual stutters and the sound doesnt play properly.

RP 10 has been in testing for many months now, without these problems showing up. Could you please PM me so I can get you in touch with the right person to file a bug report. I can probably not directly help you on this one. You have a 5.1 sound-card, right, which is DirectShow enabled?

Question as well, if i want 6ch playback in mpc, where can this be set?
This is a question for Gabest in his MPC thread, it works like a charm for me without any special settings. It does appear like your 5.1 setup perhaps is not working right. Make sure your RM playback in MPC is set to DirectShow. Everybody has trouble finding that setting ("hidden" pulldown in Formats menu, end of each line)

Is the new aac based 5.1 technically better than the cook 6ch and if I encoded using the new codec would this help with the sound issues above.
Our AAC does not encode in 5.1, at least not yet. Only cook does. Which is better is subjective, but in /music/ tests on Hydrogen Audio, VBR HE-AAC scored higher than cook.

I used the reg hack for 1st pass vbr ehq and for the 1st time I have found that the resultant avg video bitrate and total file size were out.
Predicted avg should of been 1793kps and it ended up 1693kps
Predicted final file size should of been 1860Mb and it was 1875Mb

This does not make much sense I am afraid. when bitrate appears lower, filesize should be lower. This must be a bitrate calculation problem in whichever encoding GUI you used.

But out of 1860 Mb, 15 Mb oversize is not that bad Remember, we have an MSL buffer, and we do not take drastic steps to try to empty it towards the end of the encode, perhaps we should.
Old 9th January 2004, 20:11   #67  |  Link
Latexxx

What are the codec flavours for the racp.dll? Its own readme file refers to the producer manual and the producer manual doesn't have the required information on setting the bitrate.
Latexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2004, 20:30   #68  |  Link
karl_lillevold

HE-AAC codec flavors

Code:
 64 Kbps Stereo Music - RealAudio 10  	racp  	0  44.1 kHz 
 96 Kbps Stereo Music - RealAudio 10 	racp 	1  44.1 kHz 
128 Kbps Stereo Music - RealAudio 10 	racp 	2  44.1 kHz
However, there is a bug which prevents it from working
https://helix-dna.helixcommunity.org...ug.cgi?id=1108

Co-incidentally, there is also a bug in the decoder DLL that ships with RealPlayer 10 Beta, that prevents playing back HE-AAC in RM.

However, both bugs have been fixed, and it will be included in the next Milestone, or perhaps a patch before then.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 9th January 2004 at 21:53.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2004, 20:32   #69  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

AAC+ not bellow 64kbps is a shame...
Old 9th January 2004, 20:47   #70  |  Link
Latexxx

I'd like to see 32 kbps! After all it's made for streaming.

Last edited by Latexxx; 9th January 2004 at 20:49.
Old 9th January 2004, 21:15   #71  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

yep. I don't know if the bugs where there intentionally...
Old 9th January 2004, 22:07   #72  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Good points, although cook works very well for streaming. I agree though, and will see if perhaps this can be changed in a future release.
Old 9th January 2004, 22:21   #73  |  Link
Latexxx

At least Ahead's HE AAC performs better than cook even at 64 kbps: http://audio.ciara.us/test/64test/results.html
Old 9th January 2004, 23:25   #74  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Quote:
Originally posted by Latexxx
At least Ahead's HE AAC performs better than cook even at 64 kbps: http://audio.ciara.us/test/64test/results.html
Yep, 2Ch AACplus does sound good at 64kbps. And when consider that 6Ch audio is also possible at this bitrate too... I think it's pretty amazing that you can hear anything at all!

Cheers
Old 10th January 2004, 00:27   #75  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Added FAQ in first post. Thanks for all the questions and feedback! Hopefully I included the potentially most frequent ones. If not, let me know.
Old 10th January 2004, 05:10   #76  |  Link
satori

I got racp.dll from SDK and put it to codec folder of helix producer 10.
But Producer can't call codec.What should I need more for HE-AAC RA10 encoding?
satori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 12:00   #77  |  Link
bond

satori
where did you download the sdk?

Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
Old 10th January 2004, 12:25   #78  |  Link
SeeMoreDigital
Life's clearer in 4K UHD

Damn and blast!

I've just downloaded and started playing with the Basic Preview version of 'Helix Producer 10' and well, damn it, it's just too good!

Last night I encoded the Harry Potter trailer that Sagittaire uses for his codec test, and I have to say the resulting encode was most impressive.... damn again!

Now, at work, the business uses Helix Producer Plus (v9.0.1). Which I enjoyed using quite a bit coz I like the GUI. But as I'm not into 'borrowing' software from work for use with my home PC's I am stuck with the Basic version for the time being.

Very nice work guys,

Cheers
Old 10th January 2004, 19:59   #79  |  Link
karl_lillevold

Quote:
Originally posted by zedude
i just found realplayer installed a directshowfilter on my system, it's called RealPlayer Audio Filter : is it meant to play ra10 files with every dshow based player or an internal filter for RP ?
You are right! To be honest I have no idea what it's doing, or why it's there, but I will try to find out. It is not for decoding or playback of any of the most common formats. I tried to delete it *), to see what then would not play back, but did not find anything right away.

*) C:\Program Files\Real\RealPlayer\rdsf3260.dll

@SeeMoreDigital: Thanks.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 10th January 2004 at 20:04.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2004, 21:00   #80  |  Link
Latexxx

Quote:
Originally posted by bond
where did you download the sdk?
helixcommunity.org -> binaries -> command line application
and
binaries -> sdk -> aac thinggy

Don't bother. The HE AAC doesn't work using the current producer version.