Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 27th December 2001, 12:34   #1  |  Link
ChristianHJW

New feature requests for BeSweetGUI

Hi Danni,

as both BeSweet and HeadAC3 have still some minor problems ( i will help as good as possible with solving them of course - sorry i'm no coder ) i am still using good old DD GUI with azid.exe, ssrc.exe and lame/toolame.exe for now. Note that normalizing is done using SSRC because of Azid's 'auto find max gain' bug when DRC is used .

May i ask you kindly for these additional features in a future release ?

1. toolame cant eat 24 or 32 bit WAV files i guess. Whenever i tried to it just gave me noise. As is dont want to loose the advantage of processing the WAVs before in 24 bit mode ( resampling, normalizing ) this is how i do it :

- decode AC3 to 24 bit output WAV, DRC light or DRC normal, Gain set to fixed value like +6 dB ( works in most cases ).
- sample rate conversion and 2 pass normalizing in SSRC, converting from 24 bit 48 KHz WAV down to 16 bit 44.1 KHz WAV incl. normalizing.
- finally feed the 16 bit 44.1 KHz WAV into toolame

I can do this in your GUI in one setup using 'advanced mode' and setting the '--bits 16' switch for SSRC, but wouldn't it be possible to implement this switch into your GUI ? Its one of SSRC's major features adn should be supported i guess ...

2. Regarding the above mentioned bug with Azid's bug in the 'auto find max gain' feature, isnt it possible to do this 2 pass process controlled by the GUI instead of simply using -g switch ?? The beauty about this would be that we could correct the gain value found in 1st pass by a certain factor like

'Gain = AutoGain - x ' and x being

x = 1.0 db for DRC light
x = 2.0 dB for DRC normal
x = 4.0 dB for DRC heavy

I'm not sure about these numbers, but the overflows i got recently were all smaller.

The same request was asked to DSPGuru for implementation into BeSweet but i'm not sure what the more effective way would be to overcome this problem.

Thanks a lot Danni and keep up the good work !!
Old 27th December 2001, 14:43   #2  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

Quote:
HeadAC3 have still some minor problems
Could you be more specific?
DarkAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2001, 17:49   #3  |  Link
DanniDin

Hi Christian,

I Added Your Request to the ToDo List and Try to Implement it When I Can. There are too Many Changes I Have to Make to the GUI So it will Take Me Some Time.

Thanks for Your Support

Danni.
DanniDin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 01:52   #4  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkAvenger
Could you be more specific?
... sorry DarkAvenger, 'problems' is maybe not the right word.

- SSRC ( downsampling )

- MP2 support

are the only 'missing' points with HeadAC3He for now. I hope you'll change that one day ...
Old 28th December 2001, 04:42   #5  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Re: Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by ChristianHJW

... sorry DarkAvenger, 'problems' is maybe not the right word.

- SSRC ( downsampling )

It appears to me that HeadAC3he 0.16 is downsampling to 44k if I select 32bit FP for either a WAV or MP3. Am I wrong?
MaTTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 04:57   #6  |  Link
kxy

DA,

HeadAC3he does have some problems. I am sure you are aware of this one. For example, when converting to a 24-bit wav, it hangs upon completion. The Kernel Memory just loops(massive usage for no justifible reason). That is a very annoying bug. You have to close down the program and restart everything once you are done.

Another enhancement will be instead of using the up and down tick for start and end frame, it would be nice that we can just enter the actual frame number in(cause it is kind of annoying when you want to cut a chunck of the ac3 file for testing purpose, and have to hold down the tick mark for 2 minutes)

Last edited by kxy; 28th December 2001 at 05:31.
kxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2001, 05:27   #7  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by kxy
DA,

HeadAC3he does have some problems. I am sure you are aware of this one. For example, when converting to a 24-bit wav, it hangs upon completion. The Kernel Memory just loops(massive usage for no justifible reason). That is a very annoying bug. You have to close down the program and restart everything once you are done.
I use this program on WinXP and use to run it on Win2K. I've never seen this bug you mention about 24bit WAV files or any other file format for that matter. Very strange. What OS are you running?
Old 28th December 2001, 05:28   #8  |  Link
kxy

Win xp pro, also on win 2k pro.

It occured after the file is finish and you click on okay. If you waited a few minutes that will occur. Matter, what hardware system are you running on? Maybe we can blame on the VIA chip-set(cause that is what I am using).

Last edited by kxy; 28th December 2001 at 05:35.
Old 28th December 2001, 05:41   #9  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

kxy,

I'm running on a Dual PIII Tyan BX motherboard with 512MB of RAM on my primary machine. My second machine is running a single PIII 850 with 512MB of RAM on a BX mobo. Perhaps your right and it's a problem with the VIA chipset. I've heard you have to make sure all your VIA busmaster drivers are constantly up to date.

As a side not I have seen my kernel processes max out when I copy alot of VOB files from 1 driver to another. This is very annoying because basically everything grinds to a halt, especially on a single PIII.
Old 28th December 2001, 05:46   #10  |  Link
kxy

matter,

This is getting a bit off-topic, lets do PM if futher disscussion is needed.

I am pretty sure DA is aware of this; perhaps he had an answer for this already.
Old 28th December 2001, 10:20   #11  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

@kxy
No, I didn't know the bug about 24bit pcm. Hmm I'll check it out. About the UD controls: Yes I wanted to make it possible to enter the values, but I must first find out how to correctly adress the TAB key.
Old 28th December 2001, 15:46   #12  |  Link
kxy

DA,

I thought I posted the bug when I first discovered it, it was under someone else thread like this one. :P It occured when click on the okay button after the wav is done, with the normalization and 24-bit wav checked. Right now, I just closed the program as soon as I clicked on done to avoid the trouble.
Old 28th December 2001, 16:56   #13  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

Could you try the neweset v0.16a as well? The bug doesn't happen to me. Please list which mode (wav? 2pass?) you exactly use.
Old 29th December 2001, 00:18   #14  |  Link
kxy

DA,

Just tried the newest .16a. Same thing.

Quote:
Please list which mode (wav? 2pass?) you exactly use.
wav-24bit int 2pass-hybrid, buffer size around 129mb. After the file is done, when you click on okay. The status bar under the start, won't reset to 0, has yellow all the way across instead. CPU usage jumps up and down, from 10 to 100 in a few seconds, and it just repeats, the kernal memory goes way high! Once I closed the program everything resumes normal.
Old 29th December 2001, 00:32   #15  |  Link
MaTTeR
AC3 5.1 Addict

@kxy

Your right, I now see what your talking about with the status bar and CPU usage.

@DarkAvenger
Is this happening due to HeadAC3he flushing the buffer perhaps? Just a guess.
Old 29th December 2001, 02:15   #16  |  Link
Movieslut

Catching onto the topic, an idea to make it even better
Would it be difficult to get an ac3 stream from an avi and convert it into mp2? Now we have to demux first using nandub or whatever and convert it using BeSweet. Saves another 10 mins and a step converting avi->svcd

Keep it up guys!
Movieslut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2001, 13:05   #17  |  Link
DarkAvenger
HeadAC3he coder

Hmm, I don't get it. Once the Dialog appears everything has already finished. KXY, could you help me debugging? Matter is already helping me with the crash. Please contact me via email: darkav@gmx.net