Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 15th December 2001, 21:21   #1  |  Link
SpEeDaMiGo

GordianKnot/Nandub question

Hi

I'm new to the GKnot/Avisynth/Nandub method but so far everything is fine, though I've got some questions.
The movie I'd like to encode: JamesBond, 2h, 2.4:1 "real" AspectRatio, onto 2 CD's, projected bitrate 1400, input resolution: 720x576 (16:9)

First: I can't get this Bits/(Pixel*Frame)-Value lower than ~0.27 otherwhise I'd have to set a higher output resolution than 720 (so far I get 0.276 with 720x288 fully cropped) and I think this ain't good (GKnot shows a red flag). Thus, the 5% CompressionCheck with Nandub gives a value of 73%, although Doom9 recommends it to be between 60 & 70%.
Am I more or less in tolerance, should I increase the resolution or have I made some mistake ?

Second: Is it possible to manually set the keyframe-compression in the SBC-settings (cause set to 2-3 it boosts quality, which even I can understand), when using this combination of GKnot/Nandub (or DO I even have to set all this and other settings of Nandub manually ?).
It's nowhere mentioned in the "old/advanced guide" of GKnot/Nandub, although I consider it to be important.
Or could this screw up all the projected filesize/compression ?

Thanks a lot for every hint

Yes, my English ain't good, and you may call me a newbie ripper; I don't care.
SpEeDaMiGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2001, 15:35   #2  |  Link
philippas
∏→+∞

No you don't have to set higher resolution than 720x288.
Maybe crop a bit from the sides so 704x288 will be ok.
If i was in your place i would use something like 640x320, i know it's 2:1 aspect ratio but 2.35:1 or 2.4:1 looks terrible in my opinion. Almost 2/3 of the screen are black bars.
If you choose smaller frameSize than calculated from the compressibility test, is better than using bigger.

I agree with the manual settings in Nandub. I also set the settings in Nandub accordingly to each movie and i use Gnot to create the avs file, do the compressibilty test and the resizing.
And NO it won't screw up the fileSize predictability

Last edited by philippas; 16th December 2001 at 15:39.
philippas is offline   Reply With Quote