Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 2nd October 2017, 14:51   #1261  |  Link
Tenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
So, it seems that FRIMSource is definitively better than DGMVCDecode. Should I set FRIM as the default MVC decoder in BD3D2MK3D?
From my present experience, I say YES
Tenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2017, 12:16   #1262  |  Link
frank

Quote:
So, it seems that FRIMSource is definitively better than DGMVCDecode. Should I set FRIM as the default MVC decoder in BD3D2MK3D?
Better? Only very few BD's have this issue (I only know 2). FRIMSource is compiled with latest Intel Media SDK 2017 but doesn't start reliably on that BD's in HW mode. The culprit is Intel. User can set SW mode.
In the past I preferred DGMVCSource because it was a little bit faster (on my old machine). Now they are probably equally fast.

Last edited by frank; 3rd October 2017 at 12:31.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2017, 05:36   #1263  |  Link
von Suppé

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
See this post and the following in the BDSup2Sub thread for more info.
Will do. I'm gonna read that whole thread btw.
von Suppé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2017, 14:13   #1264  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

BD3D2MK3D v1.2

This version is mainly an update of the third-party tools. It has also some little improvements and bug fixes.

Unfortunately, I am not able to understand what's wrong with some versions of the Wonder Woman 3DBD, so there is no fix for that problem. Anyway, I don't think there is something wrong in BD3D2MK3D itself. The problem comes probably from the BD itself, or from x264.
Quote:
v1.2 (October 7, 2017)
- Updated FRIMSource to the latest version (v1.27). It should work correctly. Let me know if you experience crashes.
- FRIMSource is now the default MVC decoder.
- Removed the LoadHelper() trick and added the full paths in the LoadPlugin() commands for compatibility with some Avisynth forks.
- Added tab 3 -> Web -> Search TCM for title.
- Adapted to the new distribution of x265 as a single exe file instead of the previous 3 exes (one for each color depth).
- Fix: Workaround for the wrong character encoding of the AVS and CMD scripts.
- Fix: The path to java.exe was not correctly detected in some circumstances.
- Fix: Some typos.
- Updated x265 to the latest version (v2.5+8)
- Updated the Mkvtoolnix exes to the latest version (v16.0.0)
Please note that the way x265 is distributed has changed. Previously, a different exe was available for each color depth (8, 10 or 12-bit). And, of course, it was necessary to have a different version for the two CPU architectures (32 and 64-bit). That gave a total of 6 different exe files just for x265. Now, all color depths are available with the same unified exe, and therefore only two different exes are still necessary. I have adapted BD3D2MK3D to reflect that change. So, if you update BD3D2MK3D simply by overwriting the files in the BD3B2MK3D installation folder with the content of the new 7Z archive, you can safely delete the previous versions of the x265 exes. They are not needed any more.

The distribution of x264 has not changed, and there are still 4 different exes for the 2 color depths and 2 CPU architectures. The x26*.exe files to keep in the toolset folder are therefore:
Code:
x264_8bit_x64.exe
x264_8bit_x86.exe
x264_10bit_x64.exe
x264_10bit_x86.exe
x265_x64.exe
x265_x86.exe

Last edited by r0lZ; 7th October 2017 at 17:54. Reason: typo
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2017, 19:26   #1265  |  Link
frank

You should link to x265 builds for Windows.
Latest x265 build is 2.5+25 and latest stable build is 2.5 +5.
Compiled with VS 2017 or GCC 7.2.
Old 9th October 2017, 11:23   #1266  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for the info, but I'm not sure that builds are "better" than others. Unfortunately, there is no coherent information about what release or build to use, and a site that offers good and recent builds can be outdated one or two months later (like this one, that was linked by BD3D2MK3D previously, and that is now completely outdated).
But I agree that your link seems good (although somewhat confusing for the newbie). I will try it, and if it is confirmed that it is updated regularly, it will be the "official" download site for BD3D2MK3D, and I will include the latest stable/GCC/none/multi-color-depth builds in the toolset.

Luckily, things are more straightforward for x264. Do you think I should link to the same site for x264 too, or should I keep komisar (clear builds)?
Old 10th October 2017, 10:34   #1267  |  Link
frank

I have the link from videohelp https://www.videohelp.com/software/x265-Encoder
and it is very up-to-date. You can read the version history.
In my case (Kaby Lake) I prefer the AVX2 VS2017 binary (C++ with ASM parts), because I have a feeling it is faster. I use x265 10 bit with my UHD encodings. On UHD BD they dropped the 3D support.

I havn't tested the x264 binaries yet from that site. In the past komisar's binaries were a good choice.

Last edited by frank; 10th October 2017 at 11:01.
Old 10th October 2017, 11:00   #1268  |  Link
frank

I have repeated the BD3D2MK3D test with The Martian 3D.
Sorry, neither FRIM nor DGMVC work in hw mode with this movie.
Only endless loop that can be interrupted.
Old 10th October 2017, 12:43   #1269  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Damn! That's really strange. I have never has any problem, including with Wonder Woman and The Martian.
Of course, it is extremely difficult for me to fix a bug that I cannot reproduce and that occurs in a decoder that I have not written myself.
The only thing that I can do is to configure the MVC decoder in software mode by default. But it's a pity for the users lucky enough to have an Intel CPU supporting the hardware mode.
And I can add a red warning here. (DONE)

Thanks for the x265 link at Videohelp. Since the home of PgcEdit is already at VideoHelp, I think I will definitively adopt it. But it's only a redirection to http://msystem.waw.pl/x265/ and https://builds.x265.eu, so I don't think that it's more useful that linking directly to that sites. At least, I don't have to take care myself of the out of date sites. And, for coherence, I have decided to adopt the VideoHelp link for h264 too.

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th October 2017 at 13:09.
Old 10th October 2017, 13:08   #1270  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

If you experience problems when decoding a 3DBD with BD3D2MK3D, such as black frames at the end of during the whole movie or infinite loops, please configure the MVC decoder to use SOFTWARE mode instead of hardware or automatic.
Select Settings -> MVC Decoder -> Hardware Acceleration -> Software (use if Auto crashes)

And please report here if you have had that kind of problems, with what movie and if using the software mode has solved the problem.

(If you are interested, that problem has been reported for the first time here.)

Last edited by r0lZ; 10th October 2017 at 13:12.
Old 11th October 2017, 11:08   #1271  |  Link
fszecsei

BD3D2MK3D vs Norton

Hello r0IZ,

I am using this tool since 2016; fully satisfied and impressed. It is GREAT!!

Now, Norton Security reported a risk with _ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER: “blocksleep.exe contained Heur.AdvML.B”. It seems, the heuristic algorithm has been updated in Norton recently…

I instructed my Norton Security to release blocksleep.exe from quarantine. No weird symptoms detected up to now.
However, might be this exe really dangerous?
fszecsei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2017, 12:05   #1272  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Thanks for your kind words and welcome to the Doom9 forums, fszecsei.

__ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd and blocksleep.exe have been added when I have received complains of some users about encoding problems. Blockssleep has been written by Slavanap and officially released here. As you can see, it is open source.

As its name suggests, blocksleep.exe is used to prevent Windows from going to sleep mode during an encoding. It is used by __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER.cmd to launch __ENCODE_3D.cmd. It doesn't do anything by itself. It just sets a flag telling the system to not go to sleep mode while __ENCODE_3D.cmd is running. Without that, most laptops and some desktop PCs go normally to sleep mode after some time, and of course the encoding stops. It has also been reported several times that x264 has often some trouble to continue the encoding when the laptop wakes up, and that can result in a damaged or incomplete video stream.

I don't know why Norton considers blocksleep as dangerous. Perhaps it's because it is designed to launch other exes or batch files? Anyway, it's a false positive. You can even delete it if you wish, and launch __ENCODE_3D.cmd directly, if your PC uses a power plan with sleep mode disabled, or if you accept to take the risk of a bad encoding. (Note that __ENCODE_3D_LAUNCHER changes also the priority of the _ENCODE_3D process to low, so that you can still use your PC to do other things with a reasonable speed when the encoding is in progress, but it's not absolutely necessary.)

Finally, as an evidence that blocksleep is harmless, have a look at its VirusTotal report. It has a score of 1/63, and only Cylance (an obscure antivirus) flags it as unsafe (and unsafe doesn't mean infected).

Last edited by r0lZ; 11th October 2017 at 12:19.
Old 11th October 2017, 13:26   #1273  |  Link
fszecsei

r0IZ,

Many thanks for the detailed explanation; fully understood.
fszecsei is offline   Reply With Quote