Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 28th December 2008, 22:31   #5361  |  Link
wiak

please add deblock for XviD/DivX and WMV
Old 29th December 2008, 02:40   #5362  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

@gngn
I don't know about reviews but the decoding using the gpu is based on dsp logic so the gpu is not used like when you use it in a game or other 3d aplication, making it quite light weight in power consumption.
I've read in this forums that a company made a chip that could decode 1080p using just 250mW. Also check this encoder out.
Old 29th December 2008, 03:26   #5363  |  Link
gngn
the hedgehog

one only has to compare the GPU's temperature while gaming and watching a HD movie with DXVA to be aware of difference in power consumtion.
but i cant find a review with exact data about power usage of CPU decoding vs a DXVA capable video card. i guess no one really cares in fact much about energy efficiency when it comes to a PC
Old 29th December 2008, 14:11   #5364  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

Then in my case the gpu temperature stays the same even as when in idle while decoding 1080p h264 videos.
Old 29th December 2008, 14:27   #5365  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by gngn View Post
i guess no one really cares in fact much about energy efficiency when it comes to a PC
You'd be surprised
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
Old 29th December 2008, 16:27   #5366  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTPVHD View Post
Anyone here has tested MPC-HC on Windows 7 Beta 1 build 7000? Might as well get started on testing and seeing if anything needs fixing.
Windows 7 should be awesome
It supports up to 16bit color(only over DVI at the moment, videocard hardware limitations)
Old 29th December 2008, 18:38   #5367  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

MPC HC works fine on Windows 7 build 7000. I can provide some screenshots later on and make some more testing like DXVA suff.
Old 29th December 2008, 18:59   #5368  |  Link
Turtleggjp

Does anyone else experience blurring at the bottom of the video (last 8 lines or so) when accelerating H.264 or VC-1 videos with ATI cards? The problem does not show up on most Blu Ray videos, because most have black bars at the top and bottom. The ones that do have full frame video have this problem. Playing the discs in PowerDVD does not show the problem, however using PowerDVD's DXVA filter in MPC does show the problem, so I don't think MPC HC's DXVA implementation is to blame. I also have the problem with my x264 encodes of TV shows I have recorded, since they are mostly full frame (1920x1080). I had this problem with my Radeon 3450, and was happy to see that a GeForce 8500 did not have this problem (this card won't bitstream VC-1 though). I recently upgraded to a Radeon 4650, hoping that this issue had been fixed (on ATI's side) and dreaming of one day getting a receiver with HDMI audio capability. To my surprise, this blurring issue still remains! Needless to say I was not happy, and am currently awaiting a new GeForce 9400 Motherboard hoping that Nvidia will continue to work better.

I am using Windows XP SP2, and the System default renderer. I tried other renderers, and the problem seems to go away if I use VMR9, but I get bad tearing when I use that one. Anyone else experiencing this? Thanks.

Matt
Old 29th December 2008, 19:34   #5369  |  Link
Leak
ffdshow/AviSynth wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleggjp View Post
Does anyone else experience blurring at the bottom of the video (last 8 lines or so) when accelerating H.264 or VC-1 videos with ATI cards?
That's not blurring, that's the last line getting repeated 8 times because 1920x1080 is not a mod16 resolution vertically, but 1920x1088 is.

It's just not cropped off when it probably should - but that's the renderers job.

np: Tocotronic - Führe Mich Sanft (Tocotronic)
Old 29th December 2008, 21:33   #5370  |  Link
carnage_pl

On my laptop dvxa on radeon 2300hd crashes. I installed latest preview drivers for win 7. Let's wait a little longer

Old 29th December 2008, 21:35   #5371  |  Link
ikarad

I don't know if anybody know this problem with AC3 codec but I give you the link of this problem (random desynchronisation of sound with 5.1 soundtrack when AC3 codec is used with XFI titanium under xp sp3).
http://ac3filter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2530#2530

If anybody know how to correct this problem or if a new version of ac3 codec will correct this bug.
Old 29th December 2008, 22:12   #5372  |  Link
Kado
Otaku

DXVA is working fine here with GeForce 9800GTX 181.00 drivers for Vista x86/Windows7 x86. Image here.
Without updating DirectX you can't see the OSD or the Status (CTRL+J), only the tearing test but after the update to nov2008 package everything works properly even subs.
Frames are still dropped if you disable subtitle buffering.

Last edited by Kado; 29th December 2008 at 22:21.
Old 29th December 2008, 23:48   #5373  |  Link
Turtleggjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leak View Post
That's not blurring, that's the last line getting repeated 8 times because 1920x1080 is not a mod16 resolution vertically, but 1920x1088 is.

It's just not cropped off when it probably should - but that's the renderers job.

np: Tocotronic - Führe Mich Sanft (Tocotronic)
Thanks. I knew it had something to do with the non-mod16 resolution. So then why does it not do that when my GeForce 8500 card is used? Can the renderer(s) be configured to crop 1088 to 1080? I've seen this setting in CoreAVC, but that's not a renderer and not being used in this case.

EDIT: I just noticed that my GeForce 8500 card also crops 1080i MPEG2 from TV broadcasts when played on my FusionHDTV player. I recorded a short clip from NBC when the Radeon 4650 was in, and noticed a grey bar at the bottom (probably the extra 8 lines). Playing back the same clip with the GeForce card, the grey is gone. Obviously, this cropping is being done by Nvidia's drivers and not by ATI's. Since I will most likely be using Nvidia hardware for the time being, this won't be an issue for me, but I'm just wondering what I could do if I decided to use the Radeon cards in other systems. Thanks.

EDIT 2: Just tried playing the NBC clip with my Radeon 800XL in the FusionHDTV player. No Grey here either, so it must be something with the UVD hardware in the 3000 and 4000 series cards. Also, a co-worker has a Radeon 2600, and does not experience the blurred lines at the bottom.

Last edited by Turtleggjp; 30th December 2008 at 02:29.
Old 30th December 2008, 19:54   #5374  |  Link
jimz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rebel View Post
Are you sure your using DXVA (check the stats overlay).

Also what CPU do you have (because i think it's too slow for 22mbits of h.264 thus why you have your problem)
Just thought I would report back on my curious lack of success due to regular glitching playing h264 files from HD DVD with DXVA. Yes, I am certain DXVA is working as the CPU usage is down in the single digits to teens. Processor is an X2 @ 2.4G. The files play fine with software decoding (and on my Popcornhour media extender). I also determined that there is no issue with VC-1 HD DVD rips as I use the WM decoder+Haali to play those. After trying to mux Babel various ways with various tools the end result is always the same. Just tried the Transformers HD DVD with the same results, this time using h264info to remove the pulldown instead of eacto, i.e. regular glitches with the MPCvideo decoder+Haali but plays fine in software. Using VMR9 renderless in MPC-HC but have tried Overlay with no effect.

If someone has their h264 HD DVD rips playing nice with MPC-HC and Nvidia graphics, I would appreciate it if they would share any detailed settings in MPC-HC, the decoder, or graphics drivers that could getting me going in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 31st December 2008, 07:22   #5375  |  Link
ADude

I have a problem playing an MKV file that has an unusual characteristic - it has two audio streams, one DTS and one "Vorbis". The encoder made the Vorbis stream as the default, evidently, because it comes up with that one playing. I am using Haali Splitter and when I select the DTS track, it does not work.

My guess is that since DTS requires a different group of filters, it would seem that Haali Splitter audio selection does not change the filters loaded by MPC.

I tried enabling the Internal Audio Switcher, but it only shows one choice of "MKV file audio".

( I can play the file with the Vorbis audio without problems, and I can play other MKV files that only have DTS audio tracks, but I cannot change from Vorbis audio to DTS audio using Haali Splitter. )

Any thoughts ?

Last edited by ADude; 31st December 2008 at 07:34.
Old 31st December 2008, 18:07   #5376  |  Link
cweb

I'm getting crashes occasionally with MPC-HC (XP SP2), and I discovered that the crashes occur with VMR9 renderless + 3d surfaces. If I use 2d surfaces all is ok.
The error I'm getting is in d3dx9_40.dll. directx is nov 2008 version.
MPC-HC's modver is 9.24.950.2656....
Old 31st December 2008, 18:10   #5377  |  Link
hrr
Héctor D.

Feature Req.: Save AC3/DTS filter preferences to .ini

Hi !

I have my HTPC connected to an analog monitor and to my Sanyo Z2000.

I have two sound cards installed, first, the motherboard one without spdif, configured as 'system default' and connected to my monitor speakers.

The second one, a C-Media with six channels output and SPDIF out connected to my receiver by analog and optical.

My HTPC is my work PC too, so I have 2 copies of MPC-HC configured to use .ini files.

My work copy, don't have D3D activated so I can test files and see simple things and configured to use the 'system default' sound so I can hear things through my monitor speakers.

My HTPC copy, has D3D activated, send the full screen to my second monitor (projector) and configured to use the C-Media audio device to send, normally, DD or DTS through SPDIF to my receiver.

The problem is that if I set the output of the AC3/DTS filter to spdif in one copy, the other copy get this configuration too.

It seems that the preferences of this filter is not saved to the .ini file so every time I 'work' with my work copy of MPC-HC and change the preference of the AC3/DTS filter to analog output, when I want to use my HTPC copy, I have to open it without load any file, and change the settings of the audio filter prior to load the file I want to play.

It would be very useful if this preferences are saved to .ini files too.

Thanks.
Old 1st January 2009, 09:45   #5378  |  Link
otheos

Has anyone noticed poor dynamic range of colours with the 1.2.908 version?

I change to CoreAVC and colors are fine, but with MPC decoders (DXVA) all blacks are joined, not details (hair, shadows) are visible.

It's not a matter of brightness but rather dynamic range. whites are too bright while dark colours are all black. Didn't have this issue with the beta I was using before but cannot find it anymore.
Old 1st January 2009, 10:46   #5379  |  Link
_xxl
ffdshow user

Quote:
1.2.908 version
Had you tried latest 1.2.940?
Old 1st January 2009, 16:04   #5380  |  Link
clsid

Sounds like a luminance levels issue to me.

Tags
dxva, h264, home cinema, media player classic, mpc-hc