Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > (HD) DVD & Blu-ray authoring

Old 25th February 2021, 15:18   #1021  |  Link
jdobbs

This post isn't directly related to TSMUXER -- but since the new releases include UHD support, I thought I'd ask here.

I'm looking for a summary of the changes to the BD Basic Specifications that were introduced in version 3.00 that are associated with UHD support. I'm thinking of putting one together (or at least a start for review). But if it already exists somewhere I'd much rather just get a copy of it. I'm introducing an option to convert standard BDs to UHD-BD format using HEVC in BD Rebuilder and have encountered some issues -- I need to find out what I'm missing.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 20th March 2021, 17:45   #1022  |  Link
Richard1485

Is there any chance that BDAV output could be added to help those authoring AVCHD 2.0 discs?
Old 27th March 2021, 12:12   #1023  |  Link
stax76

2021 and high DPI still completely broken.
stax76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 10:13   #1024  |  Link
yannick92

Atom Error ?

Hello,

Small problem in the latest version of tsMuxer:
When I try to open an MP4 file in TsMuxer nothing happens, and no error message ...?

If I open this same file with tsMuxer 2.6.12, I get this error message: "moov atom not found"

Interestingly, the file opens very well with MkvToolnix, and if I make a .mkv, it then opens perfectly with tsMuxer, without error message ...

Here is the link for the file if that helps: https://uptobox.com/bo46ak1szoog

Thx a lot

Yannick

Edit: Maybe related to that? (# 388) ��
https://github.com/justdan96/tsMuxer/issues/388

Last edited by tebasuna51; 29th March 2021 at 12:01. Reason: attachment not needed
yannick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2021, 11:53   #1025  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by yannick92 View Post
...When I try to open an MP4 file in TsMuxer nothing happens, and no error message ...?
Maybe because it is not a mp4 container, rename it to .ts and try.
Of course there aren't atoms in a ts container.

MediaInfo report:

Format : MPEG-TS
FileExtension_Invalid : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Last edited by tebasuna51; 29th March 2021 at 11:56. Reason: add info
tebasuna51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2021, 09:24   #1026  |  Link
yannick92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tebasuna51 View Post
Maybe because it is not a mp4 container, rename it to .ts and try.
Of course there aren't atoms in a ts container.

MediaInfo report:

Format : MPEG-TS
FileExtension_Invalid : ts m2t m2s m4t m4s tmf ts tp trp ty

Ok great, thank you for these explanations, I did not have the reflex to change the extension of the file ... ��

Nevertheless, there would be the possibility of correcting this problem in Tsmuxer when opening a file with
incorrect extension?
Understand that the user is warned ... ��

Thx, bye.

Yannick

PS: Small suggestion: let TsMuxer open the file with incorrect extensions (as in MkvToolnix ...), but with a pre "warning box" like: Incorrect file extension, do you want to continue? Yes or no"

Last edited by yannick92; 30th March 2021 at 11:17.
yannick92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 06:36   #1027  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
Originally Posted by a5180007 View Post
If there is no Entrymark at the end of a PlayList, an interval between a last Entrymark and end point of a PlayList composes the last Chapter of the Movie Title.
Strange, I have several BD players and they react differently to the presence of lack of a final chapter mark right at the end of the playlist.
Sony and Pioneer would refuse to "skip to the end", the LGs would do it, even if the mark is missing.
Therefore I always add a dummy chapter mark 1 second before the end time.
Old 2nd April 2021, 08:55   #1028  |  Link
mariner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
Strange, I have several BD players and they react differently to the presence of lack of a final chapter mark right at the end of the playlist.
Sony and Pioneer would refuse to "skip to the end", the LGs would do it, even if the mark is missing.
Same experience here.
mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2021, 23:21   #1029  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
When you add the chapter mark, make sure it lands on an IDR frame.

As for the issue of the missing end chapter mark, IMHO, it is an authoring error. Players are only expected to go to existing chapter marks. Why studios author discs without a chapter mark 1-2 secs from the end is beyond me.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 16:43   #1030  |  Link
rickyshamilton

Unexpected problem demuxing BlueRay 3D

Hi! A few years ago I used your tool (with BD3D2MK3D) to process a number of different BlueRay 3D movies and it worked perfectly every time.

I recently bought a 3D capable projector which has rekindled my interest in 3D and so have bought a pile of good movies on 3D BlueRay to convert. I convert to side by side HD so that I can store on my iTunes server and use with my gen 3 Apple TV.

Last week I downloaded the latest version of BD3D2MK3D which carries in it toolset an up-to-date version of tsMuxeR and tried to process two movies. Both failed for the same reason. tsMuxeR crashed.

I have since tried using both the previous versions of BD3D2MK3D and tsMuxeR crashes there too. I am using the same BlueRay player, the same decryption driver (which is working perfectly). The only differences in the machine since I last used your tool are the faster processor (same generation) and a higher spec. ASUS motherboard.

Screenshots of the error messages are here:

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032...D9C66B6A7.jpeg

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032...C3102DC0A.jpeg

Regards and many thanks,
Richard
rickyshamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2021, 18:06   #1031  |  Link
rickyshamilton

Problem demuxing 3D BlueRay using tsMuxeR

Hi! A few years ago I used your tool to process a number of different BlueRay 3D movies and it worked perfectly every time.

I recently bought a 3D capable projector which has rekindled my interest in 3D and so have bought a pile of good movies on 3D BlueRay to convert. I convert to side by side HD so that I can store on my iTunes server and use with my gen 3 Apple TV.

Last week I downloaded the latest version of your tool and tried to process two movies. Both failed for the same reason. Tsmuxer crashed. I was trying to process Hubble 3D and Star Trek Beyond in 3D.

I have since tried using both the previous versions of BD3D2MK3D and tsmuxer crashes there too. I am using the same BlueRay player, the same decryption driver (which is working perfectly). The only differences in the machine since I last used your tool are the faster processor (same generation) and a higher spec. ASUS motherboard.

Screenshots of the error messages are here:

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032...D9C66B6A7.jpeg

https://files.videohelp.com/u/299032...C3102DC0A.jpeg

Regards and many thanks,
Richard
Old 6th April 2021, 01:19   #1032  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyshamilton View Post
I convert to side by side HD so that I can store on my iTunes server and use with my gen 3 Apple TV.
You do understand that by converting to SBS 3D that you are cutting the horizontal resolution in half.
Old 6th April 2021, 08:29   #1033  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
You do understand that by converting to SBS 3D that you are cutting the horizontal resolution in half.
I suppose that "side by side HD" means Full-SBS. Anyway, it's not the problem. tsMuxeR crashes when it demuxes the BD files, and it should not. Perhaps it's a problem with the decrypter process (before the demux), or something strange with the BD.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2021, 11:37   #1034  |  Link
rickyshamilton

Thank you for the reply. Yes, I do absolutely understand that. In fact I spent some time testing the results side by side (pardon the pun) and concluded that on my display equipment I could not tell the difference.

Because you are carrying stereoscopic information, although you numerically cut the horizontal resolution in half, you do not cut the “information” in half. The brain also does a very good job of filling in what it expects to see. My conclusion was that the result was shockingly good and a negligible trade off for the convenience of storing the movie on a media server and playing through standard HD devices.

That is a little off topic however since the post was intended to report a defect in tsMuxeR that did not used to exist.

Kind regards and many thanks,
Richard
Old 8th April 2021, 09:16   #1035  |  Link
Ghitulescu

Quote:
When you add the chapter mark, make sure it lands on an IDR frame.
Maybe my players are somewhat "relaxed" for I only put a simple number (like 1:30:00.000) as I have to insert it by hand
Since it's absurd to assume all discs have an IDR frame at that TC, I assume the player goes to the next available frame after that TC.
Never had any issue in no player I tested, and I have tested lots of them.
Quote:
As for the issue of the missing end chapter mark, IMHO, it is an authoring error. Players are only expected to go to existing chapter marks. Why studios author discs without a chapter mark 1-2 secs from the end is beyond me.
That's much simpler
One must see the credits, like the advertisments and companies' logos at the beginning are sometimes/mosttimes unskippable (PUOs).
While the caterer receives far less money than Robert de Niro, this is the only satisfaction he might have. So the dressmakers, assistants, musicians etc.
The cleverer version is to continue the movie after the first batch of credits.
Or alternatively to put gags and other funny scenes.
Old 8th April 2021, 12:43   #1036  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
I assume the player goes to the next available frame after that TC.
It is supposed to go to the next IDR frame.
Quote:
One must see the credits, like the advertisments and companies' logos at the beginning are sometimes/most times unskippable (PUOs).
You get around that by hitting the menu key (for not being able to skip past the credits).
Old 8th April 2021, 12:45   #1037  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Because you are carrying stereoscopic information, although you numerically cut the horizontal resolution in half, you do not cut the “information” in half.
Actually you do. Half of the horizontal pixels are thrown away. Those pixels are information.
Old 9th April 2021, 15:37   #1038  |  Link
rickyshamilton

Thank you for the reply. Without wishing to be baited into a discussion of semantics, I feel I should clarify my intended meaning!

The discarded horizontal pixels are data. Half of the data will indeed be discarded. The data carry information and as I understand it, the basis of data compression is that the relationship between data and the information conveyed by that data is not necessarily 1:1.

The entropy of a message per bit multiplied by the length of that message is a measure of how much total information the message contains.

My point is that from my own observations and experiments, the result of a half-horizontal stereoscopic SBS arrangement is subjectively superior to that of a half horizontal 2D movie. My hypothesis is that the same amount of data (a single HD frame) contains more “information” when it carries stereoscopic elements as well.

That is all I was trying to say.

R.
Old 9th April 2021, 19:53   #1039  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
My point is that from my own observations and experiments, the result of a half-horizontal stereoscopic SBS arrangement is subjectively superior to that of a half horizontal 2D movie. My hypothesis is that the same amount of data (a single HD frame) contains more “information” when it carries stereoscopic elements as well.
Ah, this is where your hypothesis is flawed. There aren't stereoscopic elements in a SBS 3D video. What you have is two images that are half the number of pixels for each eye. The same goes for a normal frame packed 3D movie on a Blu-ray disc. There isn't any extra info in the video. You have the full resolution for the left eye and the full resolution for the right eye. Total pixels for the left and right eye for SBS 3D is 960. For frame packed it is 1920. There is nothing that is added to 3D video.

What would be nice is if there was a spec for 4K 3D video. Then the loss of half the pixels wouldn't be as bad for a SBS 3D video, as that would have the resolution of a normal 1080p 3D video.

Because of the resolution loss for SBS, or OU, 3D video, I'll only ever deal with 3D on Blu-ray in order to get the full 1080p resolution. But, that is me. YMMV.
Old 9th April 2021, 23:06   #1040  |  Link
rickyshamilton

We’re still at crossed purposes here. I clearly have not explained myself well.

A full HD BlueRay 3D movie is encoded as a compressed left eye image with a differences file for the right eye. The compression is “lossy” but set to a high subjective quality. When unpacked this gives two full HD frames. The stereoscopic information I refer to is implicit within the pair of images by virtue of their differences from one another. This element of the “information” is not present in a 2D movie, but is decodable by the human brain.

Loss of 50% of the pixel data does not necessarily equate to a change in information entropy of 50%. The notion that cutting out 50% of the horizontal pixels translates simply into a 50% change in information entropy is simply not a correct assumption. Yes, the amount of “data” has halved, but the “information” reconstructible may not have done.

I absolutely agree that using the original BlueRay stereoscopic images at 2 x HD will be better. Of course it will - just as using lossless compression instead of lossy compression would make it better. But in a similar way as the result of a BlueRay 3D playback is, to my eye, impossible to distinguish from a losslessly compressed movie, so the 1/2 horizontal SBS is close enough in subjective quality to my eye as to be almost impossible to identify in a comparison on my equipment. It is about trading off the small difference for the convenience.

Uncompressed stereoscopic movies would be 311MB/s at 24-bit colour. A 3D BlueRay might be encoded in 35Gb of data which would amount to 4.9MB/s. The two would be very hard to tell apart subjectively yet there is 63.5 times less “data” in the BlueRay. That is what I mean by information, entropy and data being not equivalent.