Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 25th December 2006, 14:24   #1  |  Link
Skunk
Me Like DVD

Audio pops in .avi files

First off, I would like to appologize if this has already been discussed, but I have searched awhile now and am unable to find something exactly like this.
I have a few episodes of the TV show Heroes in .avi format. On a few of them there is a certain point in the video that plays a loud popping noise (actually sounds more like a jumbled spurt of random noise), followed by extremely quiet audio. If I skip over that exact point it will play fine, or if I skip to another point after the 'pop' the audio will go back to normal.
I only seem to have this problem in WMP though. When I play the files in MPC there is not a problem.
Any ideas on what is causing this? I play most of my videos in WMP and I dont really want to be forced to use MPC for just a few files. I tried cutting a few seconds out using VDub, but that doesnt seem to help.

Dark Helmet : Spaceballs
Skunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 18:29   #2  |  Link
KoD

Your avi file has a glitch. When using MPC, you probably use the internal MPC avi splitter which is more forgiving with corrupted avi files, while using any other directshow based player (including WMP), the Microsoft avi splitter Windows that comes with all Windows OSes is used.
KoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2006, 21:47   #3  |  Link
Skunk
Me Like DVD

OK. I can live with that. Maybe I will try to re-encode them.
I am curious though about a few things. Is it possible to make WMP use the MPC splitter or vice-versa?
Also, if I choose to play them in MPC is there a way I can associate only those .avi files with MPC, launching WMP automatically for all other .avi files still?

Old 25th December 2006, 23:23   #4  |  Link
foxyshadis
Angel of Night

There is an avisplitter.ax out there somewhere, though Haali's might be the better choice. It might also be that the audio stream itself is corrupt, since windows' fhg has a few bugs that MPC's mp3 decoder doesn't. If you don't currently have ffdshow, it might fix that up.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th December 2006, 03:03   #5  |  Link
Skunk
Me Like DVD

thanks for taking the time to reply to my noobish question. I did have Haali and FFDshow on my PC already so you got me thinking. I had to reinstall FFDshow with different settings and now all the files are able to play in WMP with no problem.
Ther difernet codecs were probably fighting eachother or something.