Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10th July 2007, 15:01   #341  |  Link
ACrowley

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Can't you can already do that with e.g. BeHappy? DTS-HD contains a standard DTS core, I believe, so basically BeHappy should be able to do the conversion. Of course you'd lose the additional information of DTS-HD this way.

Maybe Tranzcode.exe (0.4) would be the Better implemention for eac3to

Its a small exe and Tranzcode 0.4 can directly decode the
dts hd to wave. It decodes the included dts core ofcourse

simple command :
tranzcode.exe inputdts.dts output.wav

switches :
/ -mch = multichannel wave output
/-16 or 24 or 32

and you can extract single channles only
Old 10th July 2007, 15:37   #342  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACrowley View Post
Maybe Tranzcode.exe (0.4) would be the Better implemention for eac3to

Its a small exe and Tranzcode 0.4 can directly decode the
dts hd to wave. It decodes the included dts core ofcourse

simple command :
tranzcode.exe inputdts.dts output.wav

switches :
/ -mch = multichannel wave output
/-16 or 24 or 32
Sounds good. But maybe Nero and/or Sonic will make use of the added DTS-HD information? That would be preferred, of course, over only using the core.
Old 10th July 2007, 15:56   #343  |  Link
MichalHabart

surcode problem

Hi Madshi,
i tried different PCM track but still the same error. Creation of DTS failed. When i do manually, everything is ok, surcode will create proper DTS. Is there something i could be doing wrong?

And the second question, mono wav file are correct as it says. Does it mean that they are also mapped to be feeded to surcode in order 0-1-2-3-4-5? (In this case, is C channel really C?)
Old 10th July 2007, 16:01   #344  |  Link
ACrowley

@MichaelHarbart
eac3 mono wave (.wavs) output is :
1 Left
2 Right
3 Center
4 LFE
5 SL
6 SR

Surcode input order is the same

Have you Surcode DTS Pro 1.0.23 installed ?
You need minimum v1.0.23

@madshi

No Nero only decodes the Core. You can see it when you craete a graph with NeroAudioDecoder2 on a dtshd.
Decoding info is only 1536kbps (core depended)
And i never had succes to connect dts with sonic. When its possible ,i dont believe Sonic Decoder can decode full dtshd
Theres currently no Decoder which can decode the full dtshd
Imho the simple core extraction makes most Sense, unless you want encode standard dtscore to ac3

Maybe you can implement both Options for dts hd.
Decoding dtshd(core) to wave with Tranzcode and extract dtscore from dtshd

Last edited by ACrowley; 10th July 2007 at 16:13.
Old 10th July 2007, 17:39   #345  |  Link
MichalHabart

Quote:
@MichalHarbart
eac3 mono wave (.wavs) output is :
1 Left
2 Right
3 Center
4 LFE
5 SL
6 SR

Surcode input order is the same

Have you Surcode DTS Pro 1.0.23 installed ?
You need minimum v1.0.23
Yes, i have it installed in standard directory C:\Program Files\Surcode DVD DTS
Creation of mono wav files is always OK but then "Creating the DTS file failed". This message appears immediately after mono wav files are created.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:35   #346  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHabart View Post
i tried different PCM track but still the same error. Creation of DTS failed. When i do manually, everything is ok, surcode will create proper DTS. Is there something i could be doing wrong?
Currently I'm not sure. Surcode automation seems to work for some people and not for others. I'm planning to add more detailed error information to the next eac3to build to find out why Surcode automation fails when it fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichalHabart View Post
And the second question, mono wav file are correct as it says. Does it mean that they are also mapped to be feeded to surcode in order 0-1-2-3-4-5? (In this case, is C channel really C?)
eac3to should name the mono files correctly. C should really be C etc.
Old 10th July 2007, 21:37   #347  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
No Nero only decodes the Core. You can see it when you craete a graph with NeroAudioDecoder2 on a dtshd.
Decoding info is only 1536kbps (core depended)
And i never had succes to connect dts with sonic. When its possible ,i dont believe Sonic Decoder can decode full dtshd
Theres currently no Decoder which can decode the full dtshd
Imho the simple core extraction makes most Sense, unless you want encode standard dtscore to ac3

Maybe you can implement both Options for dts hd.
Decoding dtshd(core) to wave with Tranzcode and extract dtscore from dtshd
Ok, thanks for the information. Not sure yet what I'll do.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:14   #348  |  Link
Roscoe62

Madshi,

Thanks for the method to transcode DD+ to LPCM. When using sox to change to Big endian, because the input file is raw I have to tell sox a few parameters of the input file so it can process it - i.e. sample rate, sample size, data encoding & channels.

Is there any way to tell what the output file eac3to produces will be when the input file is DD+ so I can pass sox the correct data?

Again, thank you for your time!
Old 11th July 2007, 09:31   #349  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe62 View Post
Madshi,

Thanks for the method to transcode DD+ to LPCM. When using sox to change to Big endian, because the input file is raw I have to tell sox a few parameters of the input file so it can process it - i.e. sample rate, sample size, data encoding & channels.

Is there any way to tell what the output file eac3to produces will be when the input file is DD+ so I can pass sox the correct data?

Again, thank you for your time!
Should be 48khz, 24bit, usually 6 channels, little endian.
Old 11th July 2007, 09:37   #350  |  Link
Roscoe62

One more quick question. If nothing else is used in the eac3to command line, which DD+ decoder is used by default? I have both Sonic 4.2 and Nero (blu-ray & hd-dvd plugin) but I think my Sonic decoders have gone a bit "screwy", even after reinstalling them. If I wish to use the Nero decoder do I have to rename eac3to.exe to recode.exe?

I'm very sorry for so many questions!
Old 11th July 2007, 10:17   #351  |  Link
cstrikedish

A great tool! thanks for share!
Old 11th July 2007, 10:48   #352  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
If nothing else is used in the eac3to command line, which DD+ decoder is used by default?
Sonic.

Quote:
I have both Sonic 4.2 and Nero (blu-ray & hd-dvd plugin) but I think my Sonic decoders have gone a bit "screwy", even after reinstalling them. If I wish to use the Nero decoder do I have to rename eac3to.exe to recode.exe?
No, that's not necessary. Just use the "-nero" switch.
Old 12th July 2007, 11:51   #353  |  Link
Roscoe62

Well, I finally decided to give up on LPCM. I was finding it too difficult to mux it into anything, so I decided to use flac. Gotta say the procedure is MUCH easier!

Anyway, when it comes to setting up a directshow graph to play back my completed mkv file, for those encoding to flac, what filter is the best to use? I'm currently using ffdshow (although an older version) and it seems to work OK, but I wanted to know if there's anything better out there?

Also, is there any perceived quality difference between keeping 24 bit or downconverting to 16 bit?

As an alternative, is transcoding to a multi-channel wav file a better way to go, quality-wise?

Thanks to Madshi for a truly break-through app!
Old 12th July 2007, 12:17   #354  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
for those encoding to flac, what filter is the best to use? I'm currently using ffdshow (although an older version) and it seems to work OK
I had tried some other decoders, but they didn't even work properly for me at all. I'm using ffdshow, too.

Quote:
Also, is there any perceived quality difference between keeping 24 bit or downconverting to 16 bit?
I've not really tested that yet. Of course that will also depend on whether the source was 24 bit or not.

Quote:
As an alternative, is transcoding to a multi-channel wav file a better way to go, quality-wise?
FLAC is lossless, so it's 100% identical to LPCM and to WAV. Basically WAV is the same as LPCM, just with a little header in front of the LPCM data. FLAC is like a zipped WAV.
Old 12th July 2007, 15:35   #355  |  Link
musky5789

"Dump" filter

Can anyone tell me where i can get "Dump" filter from???
Old 12th July 2007, 17:42   #356  |  Link
honai

Speaking of FLAC, what's the easiest way to transcode FLAC audio streams into separate mono WAVs suitable for feeding into Surcode DTS?

Old 12th July 2007, 18:31   #357  |  Link
xkodi

new CinemasterAudio.dll v4.3.0.169 + SonicHDDemuxer.dll v4.3.0.89 are out (as part of CineVision 2.0.2final).

there are no "discontinuities" errors with the new versions:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...02#post1019802

and as a result there is no noise when decoding TrueHD, but the output is very different from the old CinemasterAudio.dll v4.3.0.151 + SonicHDDemuxer.dll v4.3.0.73 (part of CineVision 2.0.2beta):

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...41#post1019241

which is very confusing, because the old version has almost the same output as Nero for "Nine Inch Nails: BYIT bonus TrueHD track" and now it is entirely different:

and the "Vendetta TrueHD stream" output is no more 16bit, but seems more like 8bit:

the big surprise is that after overwriting of the new DLLs with the old ones, there is again no noise and the output is byte by byte identical, so maybe some registry settings are affecting the behavior of the Sonic codec, but i haven't time to dig deeper and find out what is really going on.

Last edited by xkodi; 12th July 2007 at 18:35.
Old 12th July 2007, 18:31   #358  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by musky5789 View Post
Can anyone tell me where i can get "Dump" filter from???
It comes with GraphEdit.
Old 12th July 2007, 18:37   #359  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
new CinemasterAudio.dll v4.3.0.169 + SonicHDDemuxer.dll v4.3.0.89 are out (as part of CineVision 2.0.2final).

there are no "discontinuities" errors with the new versions:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...02#post1019802

and as a result there is no noise when decoding TrueHD
That's extremely strange cause I still have noise with the same dlls!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkodi View Post
and the "Vendetta TrueHD stream" output is no more 16bit, but seems more like 8bit
How does it sound? Does the WAV look and sound alright?
Old 12th July 2007, 18:51   #360  |  Link
xkodi

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
That's extremely strange cause I still have noise with the same dlls!!How does it sound? Does the WAV look and sound alright?
madshi, both TrueHD tracks sound completely normal and the fact, that you are experiencing noise with the new Sonic DLLs and that here even after deletion of the new DLLs and going back to the old ones i don't have noise is more than extremely strange, i don't know and i am really running out of ideas what is going on...

P.S. i'm comparing part of Nine Inch Nails track with a lot of drums and Sonic even sounds much better than Nero, at least in my opinion.

[edit] and with Vendetta track: Nero output is very bad - the voices are low and unclear, with Sonic the voices are very clear and the volume is much pleasant than the Nero.

Last edited by xkodi; 12th July 2007 at 19:10.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to