Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 10th March 2008, 17:01   #3781  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Don't know. Does it play correctly and is audio in sync? Then obviously 29.97 is correct.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:12   #3782  |  Link
nurbs

Does eac3to write audio delays to the log when they are applied? When I encode a track for example
Code:
eac3to a.evo 2: stdout.wav -10ms
I am not sure if the delay is actually applied.

Also a feature request:
It would be helpful if eac3to displayed the bitdepth of the audio tracks if you opened a file.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:21   #3783  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurbs View Post
Does eac3to write audio delays to the log when they are applied?
eac3to doesn't write to the log which delay exactly is applied. But eac3to should write to the log that "a" delay was applied. Also you can see the exact delay in the log either from the command line or from the list of tracks.

Quote:
When I encode a track for example
Code:
eac3to a.evo 2: stdout.wav -10ms
I am not sure if the delay is actually applied.

Also a feature request:
It would be helpful if eac3to displayed the bitdepth of the audio tracks if you opened a file.
When eac3to is asked to output data to stdout there's no proper way for eac3to to write anything to screen. That's just the way it is. However, you can check out log.txt. You should find the bitdepth in there.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:31   #3784  |  Link
nurbs

What I meant in the feature request was when you open a file
Code:
eac3to a.evo
It lists all the audio and video tracks with channels, bitrate and sampling rate, but it doesn't display the bitdepth of the audio tracks. I was wondering if that could be added so that I know when I have to apply -down16.

Great programm by the way.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:43   #3785  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
What I meant in the feature request was when you open a file
Code:
eac3to a.evo
It lists all the audio and video tracks with channels, bitrate and sampling rate, but it doesn't display the bitdepth of the audio tracks.
It does!! For those tracks where the information is available (PCM, MLP, DTS). For AC3, E-AC3 and TrueHD tracks there is not such a thing as a fixed bitdepth.
Old 10th March 2008, 17:50   #3786  |  Link
nurbs

Ah, I didn't know it depends on the format. Does it hurt quality if I use the -down16 switch with tracks that are already 16bit?
Old 10th March 2008, 18:12   #3787  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Does it hurt quality if I use the -down16 switch with tracks that are already 16bit?
Nope.
Old 10th March 2008, 18:59   #3788  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I remuxed jimi already and I can say its indeed 1080i and 29.97 fps
Old 10th March 2008, 22:55   #3789  |  Link
azad

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Ok, I'll put it back in.
Great news! Thanx alot and keep up the good work!
Old 11th March 2008, 21:20   #3790  |  Link
rickardk

Sum Of All Fears H264:

The mkv created by eac3to plays perfect.

But after using mkvmerge to add flac (from TrueHD) the resulting file will not start. If I skip a second in WMP (by clicking the timeline) it will start.

If I split the mkv (tried to cut the first second) it will still not start.

The length of a mkv is usually shown when opening a mkv in WMP. But not with this one.

If I mux video with mkvmerge everything works.

I tried to cut samples but I can't reproduce. Only way to reproduce seems to be to mux the whole movie.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:24   #3791  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

@rickard, you reported a similar problem before with Enron (before the -24p switch was there). You reported that the MKV didn't start for you when you added audio. I was not able to reproduce that. I guess when you sent me your MKV, it would also play for me. Have you tried a different media player as a test? Have you tried GraphEdit? Try connecting only video in GraphEdit. And only audio.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:30   #3792  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
@rickard, you reported a similar problem before with Enron (before the -24p switch was there). You reported that the MKV didn't start for you when you added audio. I was not able to reproduce that. I guess when you sent me your MKV, it would also play for me. Have you tried a different media player as a test? Have you tried GraphEdit? Try connecting only video in GraphEdit. And only audio.
Yes! Tried with MPC and WMP on a diffrent computer. And as I think I wrote back then. It did start on that sample I sent! BUT not when remuxing the whole movie.

Video and audio plays perfect on their own. But not when merged.

Last edited by rickardk; 11th March 2008 at 21:39.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:31   #3793  |  Link
BlackJack1

I'd like to extract DTS 5.1 track 1536kbps already existing in EVO file. What command line must I use:
XXX1.evo+XXX2.evo 4: audio.dts
if 4: is no. of dts track?
Will I receive full DTS 1536k without double decoding and encoding process?
And second: the same situation but want to have the same full DTS but from TrueHD track. Do I need first to make flac and then DTS or straight *.dts track...?

Thanks in advance.
Regards.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:39   #3794  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
Yes! Tried with MPC and WMP on a diffrent computer. And as I think I wrote back then. It did start on that sample I sent! BUT not when remuxing the whole movie.
Ok. So you said the problem still exists when you split the MKV file? Can you upload the very first split?
Old 11th March 2008, 21:42   #3795  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
I'd like to extract DTS 5.1 track 1536kbps already existing in EVO file. What command line must I use:
XXX1.evo+XXX2.evo 4: audio.dts
if 4: is no. of dts track?
Will I receive full DTS 1536k without double decoding and encoding process?
Correct. And yes. The DTS track will just be extract without any decoding/encoding going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack1 View Post
And second: the same situation but want to have the same full DTS but from TrueHD track. Do I need first to make flac and then DTS or straight *.dts track...?
There's no DTS track inside of an EVO TrueHD track. So your only chance would be to decode the TrueHD track and encode it to DTS. The DTS encoding can be done with Surcode, but that software is not cheap. If you have Surcode, eac3to can do what you want in one step. Just use the same command line as for a DTS EVO track. This will only work if you have Surcode installed properly.
Old 11th March 2008, 21:43   #3796  |  Link
rickardk

Quote:
Ok. So you said the problem still exists when you split the MKV file? Can you upload the very first split?
If I split the file the very first split will play...The rest will not play. Should I still upload?
Old 12th March 2008, 08:23   #3797  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardk View Post
If I split the file the very first split will play...The rest will not play. Should I still upload?
No. What happens if you split the movie into two parts: (1) the whole movie except the last second (2) the last second. Does the first part play then and the last part not? Maybe the problem is in the very last part of the movie?
Old 12th March 2008, 11:27   #3798  |  Link
Skinleech
A.K.A Mangoat

I have another issue for you, but unsure if it is related to eac3to or not. I have a BD sourced file that I want to put into an mkv container.

It's mpeg2 with lcpm audio, so I've demuxed the .m2ts with xport, used eac3to 2.26 to convert the lpcm to flac, and them used mkvmerge to create the mkv. I also tried eac3to to create the mkv, then added the newly created flac in afterwards.

The file seems to be created successfully using both methods, but I get no audio when I try to play the file in MPC HC. Dscaler is loaded as the mpeg2 decoder, madflac loads as the flac decoder, and haali splitter picks up the audio & video streams, but nothing is sent to the speakers, and the audio icon in MPC HC is greyed out as you'd expect in a video only file.

The flac file plays fine by itself.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 12th March 2008, 18:17   #3799  |  Link
shambles

the video muxing frame rate change is a bit odd.. using -slowdown on a 25fps file and it seems to play fine at 24/1.001 and is synced to the the 24/1.001 audio file but mpc hc properties, haali splitter, ffdshow and evr all still report it as 25fps
Old 12th March 2008, 20:42   #3800  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinleech View Post
I have another issue for you, but unsure if it is related to eac3to or not. I have a BD sourced file that I want to put into an mkv container.

It's mpeg2 with lcpm audio, so I've demuxed the .m2ts with xport, used eac3to 2.26 to convert the lpcm to flac, and them used mkvmerge to create the mkv. I also tried eac3to to create the mkv, then added the newly created flac in afterwards.

The file seems to be created successfully using both methods, but I get no audio when I try to play the file in MPC HC. Dscaler is loaded as the mpeg2 decoder, madflac loads as the flac decoder, and haali splitter picks up the audio & video streams, but nothing is sent to the speakers, and the audio icon in MPC HC is greyed out as you'd expect in a video only file.

The flac file plays fine by itself.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Hmmmmm... Does this happen only with this specific MPEG2/FLAC combination? Do you have another MPEG2/FLAC movie you could cross check? I'm not sure if this is a problem with madFlac or maybe with the Haali Media Splitter?

You could try GraphEdit. Only connect audio there from Haali Media Splitter to madFlac to DirectSound renderer (or any other audio renderer). Does it play that way?
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to