Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 1st November 2013, 21:53   #16281  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
The standalone LAV Filters support more formats. However, the internal one is more than sufficient for the majority of people. The difference is mostly all kinds of rare and exotic formats.
Internal LAV supports all formats. Exotic formats are in low merit mode, but they are supported.

Quote:
Why is there a difference?
It's mostly problem with current mpc-hc ui. We don't have space for very long formats list. But there is planned some work on this.

Last edited by kasper93; 1st November 2013 at 22:04.
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:08   #16282  |  Link
sneaker_ger

(quoting here since I don't think it's related to HEVC in mkv specifically)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
2160p works in realtime with LAV on my system. Note that the LAV built into MPC-HC is a bit older and doesn't have the latest version of the HEVC decoder yet.
I'm only reaching ~11.4 fps with that sample on my Core i7-860 and roytam's 11-1-2013 nightly. Is that still based on an old ffmpeg or is my CPU that outdated? CPU usage is >90% with all the latest builds.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:25   #16283  |  Link
Soukyuu

Quote:
I downloaded the file and will check it when i get a chance. First tests show that it mis-identifies the second track as adx as well, which results it in discarding it because it thinks its invalid (since its not valid adx)
Not sure when I'll get to it, hopefully on the weekend.
Thanks for the reply. I have a suspicion that the .sfd format writes an .adx header for all streams, including the .ac3 one. Or maybe something like [adx-header][actual adx stream][adx-header][ac3-header][actual ac3 stream].
Soukyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:27   #16284  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I'm only reaching ~11.4 fps with that sample on my Core i7-860 and roytam's 11-1-2013 nightly. Is that still based on an old ffmpeg or is my CPU that outdated? CPU usage is >90% with all the latest builds.
On that particular sample i get around 23 fps, not quite fast enough, but close, however its also relatively complex compared to other 2160p samples i have, which play faster.
I amended my post slightly to express the dependency on sample complexity
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:34   #16285  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Well, the sample is around 30 Mbit/s which I think we would be looking at for some kind of 4k Blu-Ray. Let's hope we'll see more optimizations until then.
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 13:40   #16286  |  Link
filler56789
SuperVirus

Hopefully not-so-OT , but now the evil Strongene Lentoid Decoder is compatible with the MKV and MP4 demuxers of LAV Splitter, and besides, now it (finally) can be used in Graphstudio's performance test as well
filler56789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:30   #16287  |  Link
NikosD

I think that decoder is H.265 only.

Is it faster than LAV Video decoder or divx H.265 ?
Have you done any tests ?
NikosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2013, 21:51   #16288  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Please keep discussions of other software to a more appropriate place. I believe it has a thread somewhere on the forum.
Old 3rd November 2013, 16:17   #16289  |  Link
James Freeman

Is there any way to make it possible that LAV Video will show the decoded (Input) Bitrate in Kbps ?

If not, please make this an option to view the decoded bitrate.

Thanks.

Quote:
I got 20fps with i7 3770K 4.5Ghz.

I don't think UHD needs 30Mbps too eliminate visible artifacts compared to HD, 10-15Mbps will be enough (especially with HEVC).

I think the studios can shove 3 Hours, 35Mbps, H.264, in a 50GB disc.
Lets wait and see what they can do with UHD, H.265, and 100GB disc.

Bitrate/Size Calculator: http://www.dr-lex.be/info-stuff/videocalc.html

Last edited by James Freeman; 3rd November 2013 at 19:08.
James Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:00   #16290  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

LAV Filters 0.59
Code:
LAV Splitter
- Support for demuxing H.265/HEVC and VP9
- Improvements for H.264 in AVI or as raw video streams
- Improved stream detection in files which start with a few seconds audio before the video
- Improved timestamp handling when demuxing seamless branching Blu-rays, fixes a few hicups/freezes mid-stream

LAV Video
- Support for decoding H.265/HEVC and VP9
- Accept H.264 from the MainConcept demuxer
- Added support for DV Video from Canopus cameras

LAV Audio
- Fixed playback issues on a few DTS and DTS-HD tracks
Download: Installer (both x86/x64) -- Zips: 32-bit & 64-bit

Its been quite a while since the last release, however the changes still look relatively short - and well, yes they are.
I was on vacation, on various business trips and generally very busy. However I hope that development will pick up again in the coming month.

Anyhow, the big thing in this version is of course support for HEVC. While its certainly not perfect yet, it is relatively fast on 1080p content already.
Please do not bother to report HEVC files which do not play, instead report them to FFmpeg directly, since they are still actively working on the HEVC decoder. Many older files from early versions of the encoders may also be invalid, and therefor not play properly.

Other then that, a bunch of fixes and improvements, some named in the changelog, some internal or too small to make the log.

Another maybe note-worthy change is that i moved to Visual Studio 2012 and GCC 4.8.2 with this build.
I have even considered moving to VS 2013 in the near future, LAV already builds just fine with it, and I like the improvements Microsoft made - just for anyone curios what I use to build official versions.

Anyway, have fun!

Last edited by nevcairiel; 3rd November 2013 at 18:25.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 17:16   #16291  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

I have a question regarding playing games & video playback using multiple monitors:

I play dota on my laptop at 1080p and also like to watch twitch.tv streams (720p resolution in this case) on my second screen (1280x1024) alongside. my aim is to find a way of playback of the twitch stream which results in least decrease of fps in the game (dota running on the nvidia card, the stream/vlc/mpc atm with the intel hd 4600).

when only playing dota, then my fps varies about 35-45. when using VLC to play the twitch stream (using the normal browser via adobe plugin is definately slower) then I get the least decrease of fps do far with usually still being around 33-39 fps

when I now try to achieve this or better with mpc & lavfilters for video decoding I dont seem to be able to get better results than VLC does. regarding video decoder settings, selecting no hardware acceleration at all does still offer the best results with fps of ~29-35 ( (also with v0.59). its gets a bit worse with dxva2 copy back and is worst when using quicksync. from what Ive heard, the more load is on the intel HD alongside the nvidia, the more it could slow down the nvidia because of copying stuff to video ram or something like that?

as for the renderer, madvr wont work at all as the intelHD gpu is way too slow for that. VMR9 renderless does provide slightly better results than EVR.

still as said, I dont know what VLC does, which renderers or decoders it uses to achieve a better result than mpc & LAV. would anyone know what settings I could try with mpc & lav for improvement?

Last edited by Thunderbolt8; 3rd November 2013 at 17:20.
Thunderbolt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 19:10   #16292  |  Link
STaRGaZeR
4:2:0 hater

It's nice to see that the x64 version is faster now, I remember it being a bit slower before. Around 5% faster with H.264 and 8,5% faster with that H.265 2160p sample.
That way, you have xxxx[p|i]yyy, where xxxx is the vertical resolution, yyy is the temporal resolution, and 'i' says the image has been irremediably destroyed.
STaRGaZeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 21:00   #16293  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
would anyone know what settings I could try with mpc & lav for improvement?
enhanced video renderer (the regular one, not custom) with dxva native decoding should be virtually equivalent to not playing anything at all.
you can also try madvr with dxva image scaling, bilinear chroma scaling.

Last edited by mindbomb; 3rd November 2013 at 21:07.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2013, 22:52   #16294  |  Link
Thunderbolt8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbomb View Post
enhanced video renderer (the regular one, not custom) with dxva native decoding should be virtually equivalent to not playing anything at all.
you can also try madvr with dxva image scaling, bilinear chroma scaling.
tried it, fps rate is ~26-34 then. so VLC is still faster.
Old 4th November 2013, 03:55   #16295  |  Link
andybkma

Greets, thanks for new .59 update. After updating, the very first mp4 file (AVC;AAC) I played started in pause mode and had no sound. Sound would try to stutter every 30 seconds as if it was trying to play but failing so mostly the video was just silent with the occasional sound burst. Reverting back to 58.1 the files played with no problems. So am assuming that this new mp4 AVC/AAC problem with version .59 will be reported by other users soon. If not, I will losslessly cut out a sample out post it up. Cheers

Last edited by andybkma; 4th November 2013 at 06:01.
andybkma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 04:50   #16296  |  Link
mindbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbolt8 View Post
tried it, fps rate is ~26-34 then. so VLC is still faster.
do you think it might be an issue with power settings? that is, vlc is using the cpu, thus preventing throttling, leading to increased performance?
cause i dont think anything can impact the system less than evr and dxva native.
also, check to make sure dxva native is actually being used in lav video, it may not be compatible with a filter you are using or something.

Last edited by mindbomb; 4th November 2013 at 04:57.
mindbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 06:52   #16297  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
Greets, thanks for new .59 update. After updating, the very first mp4 file (AVC;AAC) I played started in pause mode and had no sound. Sound would try to stutter every 30 seconds as if it was trying to play but failing so mostly the video was just silent with the occasional sound burst. Reverting back to 58.1 the files played with no problems. So am assuming that this new mp4 AVC/AAC problem with version .59 will be reported by other users soon. If not, I will losslessly cut out a sample out post it up. Cheers
So far you seem to be alone. I also tested a variety of files and couldn't reproduce any issues here.
MPC-HC has also been using a version close to 0.59 for a while in nightly builds, and i haven't heard anything from them, either.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 4th November 2013 at 08:14.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2013, 11:30   #16298  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Code:
LAV Splitter
- Support for demuxing H.265/HEVC and VP9

LAV Video
- Support for decoding H.265/HEVC and VP9
- Accept H.264 from the MainConcept demuxer
Hi Nev,
What are the new SUBTYPEs associated with H265/VP9 and possibly the update for "MainConcept h.264 demuxer" ?
Old 4th November 2013, 11:33   #16299  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

HEVC uses the FourCCs 'HEVC' and 'HVC1', VP9 uses 'VP90', the new H.264 type is {D2D71CB-243F-45E3-B2D8-5FD7967EC09B}
Old 4th November 2013, 11:55   #16300  |  Link
DragonQ

Quote:
Another maybe note-worthy change is that i moved to Visual Studio 2012 and GCC 4.8.2 with this build.
I have even considered moving to VS 2013 in the near future, LAV already builds just fine with it, and I like the improvements Microsoft made - just for anyone curios what I use to build official versions.
I'm going to move to VS 2013 this week. The Asynchronous Debugging feature in particular looks really useful - just the other day I had to move some code out of a background thread and into the main UI thread just to debug it.

Tags
decoders, directshow, filters, splitter