Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 6th June 2019, 05:01   #56501  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodraig View Post
So for the moment if I only activate "sharpen edges" or "thin edges" (not both at the same time), then that works.
Are those settings incompatible ?
They work fine together, I doubt it's a madVR bug as nobody has experienced anything similar. Please test with either x64 MPC-HC or MPC-BE media players.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 13:21   #56502  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
a claim about a green tint is meaningless without proper calibrated hardware and even harder with the TVs tone mapping which yet again does what ever it wants with the image.
But you can see it in the screenshots and VLC doesn't show it, so it's not Windows' or the TV's fault.
Old 6th June 2019, 18:54   #56503  |  Link
dzonibegood

Quote:
@dzonibegood
don't use the windows 10 HDR feature it does what ever it wants to the image and worse to SDR too.
What should I use then in order to trigger TV HDR output for PC ? I also selected HDR pass through on the madVR.

Quote:
a claim about a green tint is meaningless without proper calibrated hardware and even harder with the TVs tone mapping which yet again does what ever it wants with the image.
You don't need to have proper calibrated hardware to see that the madVR is giving green tint to the image. I provided direct comparison (screenshot not camera picture) which means it has been taken from the source itself and in the source itself you can see the pixels are painted green ever so slightly if I didn't have VLC to compare I wouldn't even notice it. Please open the provided images in the comment to see for yourself.
Focus on the stalones hair alone. You can see instead of white/grey/black you can see shades of green. Quickly switch between the two and you will see obvious "green tint" with madVR.

I honestly don't know if I have to enable some kind of option to get proper madVR HDR output as the MPC is fresh as well as the madVR with latest LAV filters. Nothing modified or changed only flipped the fullscreen and exclusive screen as well as HDR passthrough.
dzonibegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 19:07   #56504  |  Link
el Filou

Check in "trade quality for performance" if the HDR options are checked, maybe.

Edit 2: come to think of it, how does madVR take screenshots of HDR material when set to passthrough? Does it convert to SDR?

Edit: forget that, silly me, that would only affect HDR if it was processed. No idea, really.

Last edited by el Filou; 6th June 2019 at 22:03.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 19:29   #56505  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
The green is too much, so are the reds (-> face). Take a look at these threads:
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...E-colors-wrong
https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/...ck#post2045830
Those threads are simply BT.601 v.s. BT.709.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzonibegood View Post
What should I use then in order to trigger TV HDR output for PC ? I also selected HDR pass through on the madVR.
Only select HDR passthrough in madVR, leave the Windows setting alone.

Quote:
You don't need to have proper calibrated hardware to see that the madVR is giving green tint to the image.
HDR passthrough works great for me and I was finally able to calibrate the HDR mode on my TV. Neither of your screenshots appear to have a problematic green cast to them on my display. I can see a difference, madVR looks more saturated, but I would not be willing to say which colors were the correct ones.

It could be that your display's very low saturation greens are a bit too saturated (very common) so it while it shouldn't look green it looks green to you. Or it could just be a BT.601 v.s. BT.709 issue, I wouldn't trust the TVs internal player to necessarily get that correct either.
Old 6th June 2019, 19:32   #56506  |  Link
neodraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
They work fine together, I doubt it's a madVR bug as nobody has experienced anything similar. Please test with either x64 MPC-HC or MPC-BE media players.
I've tested with MPC-HC x64 and the result is the same as with PotPlayer, the PC crashes as soon as I enter fullscreen mode with H.264 files when "sharpen edges" and "thin edges" are both activated :O
neodraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 19:45   #56507  |  Link
Klaus1189

Yes, I agree, because I think a wrong conversion of one matrix to another might be the issue, of course for this issue it won't be simply BT.601 vs. BT.709. But I have no file to test with. MKVToolNix can cut out a short sample in really short time.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 23:40   #56508  |  Link
famasfilms

Just updated to Windows 10 build 1903 and straight away noticed desktop looked more saturated.

Loaded the black clipping test file and my calibrated settings are now flashing 20-25 instead of 17-25.

I have an Nvidia GTX 970 with latest drivers 22 May 2019. Anyone else having issues?
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2019, 23:44   #56509  |  Link
Asmodian

In the Nvidia control panel set your display to use full range 8 bit RGB. Others have also reported the default for their display changing to limited range.
Old 6th June 2019, 23:55   #56510  |  Link
famasfilms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmodian View Post
In the Nvidia control panel set your display to use full range 8 bit RGB. Others have also reported the default for their display changing to limited range.
Yes, that was the first thing I changed - which is always required after a driver update.

On Full Range it flashes 20-25.

I had to unlock my calibrated ISF settings, adjusting the brightness from 49-50 got it back down to 17-25 with 16 faintly visible.

Obviously I would prefer to leave it on 49, especially as it seems the culprit is the windows update.
famasfilms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 01:40   #56511  |  Link
huhn

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
But you can see it in the screenshots and VLC doesn't show it, so it's not Windows' or the TV's fault.
Quote:
don't need to have proper calibrated hardware to see that the madVR is giving green tint to the image. I provided direct comparison (screenshot not camera picture) which means it has been taken from the source itself...
the screen is SDR. so it is clearly not directly out of the source.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 01:59   #56512  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by neodraig View Post
I've tested with MPC-HC x64 and the result is the same
Did you look at event viewer?

Last edited by ryrynz; 7th June 2019 at 04:44.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 02:36   #56513  |  Link
Alexkral

Quote:
Originally Posted by famasfilms View Post
Just updated to Windows 10 build 1903 and straight away noticed desktop looked more saturated.

Loaded the black clipping test file and my calibrated settings are now flashing 20-25 instead of 17-25.

I have an Nvidia GTX 970 with latest drivers 22 May 2019. Anyone else having issues?
Do those things really happen? I'm glad to continue in Windows 7.
Quote:
the screen is SDR. so it is clearly not directly out of the source.
But the Sony XF90 is HDR, and he says he's using passthrough. What I don't understand is how the screenshots have the proper transfer function. Is that possible with the Windows 10 HDR?

Edit: So when the source is HDR, madVR is tone mapping the screenshots with default settings despite the settings in the screenshots tab (good to know since I was unable to find any information about this), and VLC is also tone mapping but with unknown settings...

The surprising thing is that the results are so similar.

Last edited by Alexkral; 7th June 2019 at 20:32.
Alexkral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 08:44   #56514  |  Link
coolgit

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboyman View Post
[*] Subtitles - 7.5ms
If you are using subtitles I would recommend Kmplayer. It's easier and the subtitles are better than x-y filter and any other players. Kmplayer will use the cpu to render subtitles leaving GPU for Madvr.

Uninstall lav filters.
Install Kmplayer
install lav filter (important to do this so lav filter will be system default)
Kmplayer setting - important that decoder usage internal for video and audio is disabled. Use external and system default for both video and audio. Video processing - general - transform disabled dxva2 checked. Renderer - madvr. Setup subtitles to your liking.
coolgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 10:32   #56515  |  Link
VAMET
UTAVATU

Dear Friends

I would like to buy Intel NUC Kit 8th Generation: NUC8i5BEH and use it to play my 2160p HDR 10bit movies collection via MPC-HC + madVR + LAV Filters. I would like to ask, if some of you have such miniPC from Intel and can confirm, if it works without any drops during playing at 23.976 or 60 (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Youtube 2160p60 HDR)?

Will I be able to play also Dolby Atmos and DTS:X using LAV Filters + MPC-HC?

Thank you in advance for your replies.

Sincerely

ALLEGRO BLOG FACEBOOK
VAMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 11:09   #56516  |  Link
Charky

I don't own this NUC but just looking at the specs I can tell that the iGPU won't get you very far...

You will certainly decode 4K but probably won't be able to use the most powerful features of madvr, especially if you watch 2160p60 content...

Envoyé de mon SM-G930F en utilisant Tapatalk

"Rule #1 : If it works, don't change anything."
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 13:18   #56517  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Dear Friends

I would like to buy Intel NUC Kit 8th Generation: NUC8i5BEH

Sincerely
If you use Passthrough HDR, it will work fine.

Currently Madvr's HDR tonemapping which is dynamic and superior to typical TV's internal tonemapping requires 1060 (bare minimum) ,, we recommend a 1070 and above.

If you own a more premium TV, The TV's processing may look good enough.
Old 7th June 2019, 17:06   #56518  |  Link
Warner306

There isn't an Intel API for HDR passthrough. Manual toggle of Windows HDR would be the only option.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 17:27   #56519  |  Link
huhn

a zotac zbox or an box with the same size housing an AMD APU should be cheaper and more powerful at the same time.

Quote:
I would like to ask, if some of you have such miniPC from Intel and can confirm, if it works without any drops during playing at 23.976 or 60 (Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk and Youtube 2160p60 HDR)?
this should be relative easy to fix but out of the box unlikely.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th June 2019, 19:41   #56520  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
There isn't an Intel API for HDR passthrough. Manual toggle of Windows HDR would be the only option.
Custom refresh modes for Intel also have more problems than NVIDIA and AMD, right? As VAMET wants to bitstream, it's important to keep in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post
Will I be able to play also Dolby Atmos and DTS:X using LAV Filters + MPC-HC?
Yes, LAV Filter supports bitstreaming of Atmos and DTS:X. However when bitstreaming you need good refresh rate timings to avoid dropped/repeated frames, and Intel GPUs aren't the best at that.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling