Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 13th February 2019, 16:03   #54701  |  Link
j82k

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
It may or may not be going away but it's definitely not working as we'd want it, really just looks like it merely hands HDR control over to Windows.

The good news is, 398.11 seems to work perfect. Custom res works great too. I haven't tested anything after this, but apparently this is the last driver that doesn't have this bogus metadata issue.
Yep 398.11 seems to be the last "correct metadata" driver. I just tried a lot of drivers after that and none had the correct metadata when playing 4000 nits content.
Gonna stick with that for now. I wonder what they messed up after 398.11.
j82k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 16:04   #54702  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by madjock View Post
obviously raised its head again and has been broken for months, you then find out your life has been a lie for all this time.
Seriously, if that's the case, then it's not an issue.

A problem you can't see for months is not a problem.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 16:22   #54703  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
Seriously, if that's the case, then it's not an issue.

A problem you can't see for months is not a problem.
Yes this is a fair point. But you could also say that about most things we are trying to do with madVR. If it was a case of fire and forget I guess we would just use normal KODI with the built in Video player.

I think we are always striving to get things to look better whether that being a placebo effect or not, I think when you hear that others are doing A/B/C/D you give it a try to see if you can have the best you can get with the equipment you have.

Just makes it a little disappointing that things get put in the way that makes you doubt what you are trying to achieve really.

I probably speak for a lot if us when I say I mess more with the settings than actually watching full movies all the time, part of the joys and woes of tweaking things I guess.
madjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 17:31   #54704  |  Link
chros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RXP View Post
Now do I try and tweak the dropping frames every 4.73mins or do I just leave alone before I break something else
I got 41 seconds with my laptop and I used it for years!
Old 13th February 2019, 18:11   #54705  |  Link
angmav

Hi sorry if this has been asked before but can someone point me in the direction on what Nvidia drivers to use and how to make Rgb 12bit 3840 *24hz using the latest version of win10 thanks no problem running ycbcr 12bit 4K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
angmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 18:18   #54706  |  Link
Klaus1189

I beg Nvidia users to let me know the driver information which one to use, so I can update Nvidia section of the following thread to a true working one without any problems.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 18:27   #54707  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
I beg Nvidia users to let me know the driver information which one to use, so I can update Nvidia section of the following thread to a true working one without any problems.
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=176013
Well heres the problem, up to a couple of days ago I would have said a few of them were good, but the term "HDR passthrough" has taken on a new meaning now.

So as of today only 385.28 up to 398.11 are the only ones that seem to pass "HDR Passthrough and correct metadata" even then the ones between them I don't know if that is correct. But the two I have named seem to work in the last few threads ?

As I think was mentioned when you had the great idea with a separate thread, it seems to vary obviously between what people want, what equipment they have. some are happy to use Tone Mapping HDR-SDR and don't need the passthrough, or like the option of better framerate stability with newer drivers, or older drivers as its easier to make custom resolutions. So defining "good drivers" seems to be a minefield.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:34   #54708  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
I probably speak for a lot if us when I say I mess more with the settings than actually watching full movies all the time, part of the joys and woes of tweaking things I guess.
Yeah, I used to be like that when I first discovered madvr a few years back...

Now, tinkering for the sake of tinkering annoys me. I mostly focus on things I can actually see (mainly color accuracy, smooth playback with no dropped/repeated frames, no banding, and picture sharpening).

TBH, on my 55" LG OLED C8, at couch distance, i'm not sure I could tell the difference between a native 4K movie and an 1080p NGU upscaled one. So when I read posts from people claiming to see differences in real life content when they mess with dithering or chroma upscaling options, I'm kind of doubtful and wonder if they have Superman eyes and if they could really, really tell the difference in a ABX test..

But hey, this is probably blasphemy to write this in one of the most nerdiest topic on the Internet
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 18:37   #54709  |  Link
Klaus1189

I agree madjock, I think I just list the feature(s) which do(es)n't work in the specific driver version, so the user can look up and use exactly that version because (s)he has a RTX card and doesn't use passthrough, so version XXX ist he best choice for her/him. Another user who want to use passthrough uses version XYZ because passthrough doesn't work in XXX.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 18:46   #54710  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Yeah, I used to be like that when I first discovered madvr a few years back...
Yeah it does sort of get to be a chore, for example I thought I had everything setup with 385.28, I know from reading it has correct HDR metadata. I am playing 2160p to a 2160p screen, so only Chroma and I keep that to a minimum scaling since apparently its not that big a deal,

Took my Qs down as I noticed they were jumping about, all good rock solid, I have a 12bit RGB Custom resolution all good.

To last night watching a 4K rip and I was getting presentation errors, so that ruined that. Messed about today and I think its sorted again by using D3D11 Copy Back instead of Native....well till the next time, so yeah unsure if its due to the driver that I suddenly feel the need to use now I know metadata does not work correctly with as I was using 390.77, but always seems to be something.
Old 13th February 2019, 18:57   #54711  |  Link
iSeries

Quote:
Yeah it does sort of get to be a chore, for example I thought I had everything setup with 385.28, I know from reading it has correct HDR metadata. I am playing 2160p to a 2160p screen, so only Chroma and I keep that to a minimum scaling since apparently its not that big a deal,

Took my Qs down as I noticed they were jumping about, all good rock solid, I have a 12bit RGB Custom resolution all good.

To last night watching a 4K rip and I was getting presentation errors, so that ruined that. Messed about today and I think its sorted again by using D3D11 Copy Back instead of Native....well till the next time, so yeah unsure if its due to the driver that I suddenly feel the need to use now I know metadata does not work correctly with as I was using 390.77, but always seems to be something.
Give 398.11 a try, working great for me, but anything prior to this version should also be passing HDR through fine (including 390.77)
iSeries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 19:02   #54712  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Give 398.11 a try, working great for me, but anything prior to this version should also be passing HDR through fine (including 390.77)
Will do cheers
Old 13th February 2019, 19:41   #54713  |  Link
el Filou

Quote:
Took my Qs down as I noticed they were jumping about
What does that mean?
Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
I got 41 seconds with my laptop and I used it for years!
My god...
Old 13th February 2019, 19:52   #54714  |  Link
kostik

Did someone try Madshi's latest build and has an Oled TV? I am not sure what optimal settings might be for an oled (700 nits) :\ lots of controls...
Old 13th February 2019, 20:07   #54715  |  Link
el Filou

Are you talking about the very latest builds with updated live tonemapping? If you need to ask that question I think it's better to wait for the next release build, because the settings in the test builds keep changing frequently depending on the feedback of the testers.
Old 13th February 2019, 20:11   #54716  |  Link
kostik

Quote:
Originally Posted by el Filou View Post
Are you talking about the very latest builds with updated live tonemapping? If you need to ask that question I think it's better to wait for the next release build, because the settings in the test builds keep changing frequently depending on the feedback of the testers.
Yes...
Old 13th February 2019, 20:33   #54717  |  Link
KoKlusz

If you outputting HDR to display you can safely disable all those new options (maybe with exemption of dynamic clipping), as they mostly beneficial for HDR->SDR conversion.
KoKlusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2019, 22:52   #54718  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
TBH, on my 55" LG OLED C8, at couch distance, i'm not sure I could tell the difference between a native 4K movie and an 1080p NGU upscaled one.
Take a 4K SDR video downscale it to 1080 and do a comparison.. Tell us if you can see any difference. What is "couche distance" though? LOL.

Some people that are buying TVs tell me that they're sitting 3+ meters away from 32" sets.. and I'm like 0_0 How do you enjoy watching something so small from so far away? It's basically torture.
It honestly makes me mad seeing more static wall than moving picture.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 00:16   #54719  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Take a 4K SDR video downscale it to 1080 and do a comparison.. Tell us if you can see any difference. What is "couche distance" though? LOL.

Some people that are buying TVs tell me that they're sitting 3+ meters away from 32" sets.. and I'm like 0_0 How do you enjoy watching something so small from so far away? It's basically torture.
It honestly makes me mad seeing more static wall than moving picture.
I watch my 50 inch set at 2.5-3 meters, I can just barely see the difference between 1080 and 4K.

Textures will look more detailed w/4k, but even then, unless I'm LOOKING FOR IT, not a huge difference.

Games are more obvious due to aliasing difference.

OLED will probably be obsolete in the TV space in ~3 years.. The Light modulation cell IPS/VA panels will replace them.

Hopefully we get 120hz blink motion blur reduction , maybe even 165hz if it's VA.

The only trouble is this will probably require a 2000nit backlight.. because the blur reduction cuts brightness in half.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 14th February 2019 at 00:21.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2019, 07:29   #54720  |  Link
madjock

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
I watch my 50 inch set at 2.5-3 meters, I can just barely see the difference between 1080 and 4K.
A lot of these films are 2k Upconverts as they have all jumped on the bandwagon.

You just need to look at 4K demos on Youtube to see how good things can look, films are by nature toned down a lot, but a good 4K film can make all the difference, having a 65" TV helps a lot as well I think.

I watched Hitmans Bodygaurd last night and a lot of it seems out of focus and thats supposed to be a nice looking 4K film ?. The reviews do not mention this, but somethings not right with it, so yeah a lot of stuff looks worse.

Last edited by madjock; 14th February 2019 at 07:33.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling