Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 16th January 2019, 04:10   #54301  |  Link
ryrynz

Yeah if you check the OSD, you can see if things are changing and what they're changing to. If you can't see differences then it's down to your display/viewing distance.
I would hope you know what to look for but in case you don't, luma scalers and sharpeners make the most difference when looking at SDR content.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 04:25   #54302  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
Yeah if you check the OSD, you can see if things are changing and what they're changing to. If you can't see differences then it's down to your display/viewing distance.
I would hope you know what to look for but in case you don't, luma scalers and sharpeners make the most difference when looking at SDR content.

At 2 meters luma scaler might not even be that obvious if the material resolution is high..

Sharpen is very obvious..

Chroma is very difficult to discern at distance.

If one's adamant about seeing what's happening, you can Zoom-in and the difference will be very obvious.

Last edited by tp4tissue; 16th January 2019 at 04:27.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 08:06   #54303  |  Link
alisaeed

Custom resolution

Hi, when I try to create custom resolution this error shows

how can I fix that?
Attached Images

alisaeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 09:47   #54304  |  Link
albur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
There probably is a difference, but you can't perceive it on that display. What setting are you referring to?
Where i see differences is in image enhancements for example, all on and all off but in the htpc i don't see it
albur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 09:56   #54305  |  Link
Charky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
On my ATI card, it will only HDR on fullscreen for playback, madtpg doesn't HDR at all.

My nvidia works fine, hdr triggers on windowed , but unnecessary because the madtpg will trigger nv hdr as well.
I don't get it. Why don't you manually activate HDR in Win 10 display options, just for the need of calibrating ? When it is done, you can always go back to normal behavior of triggering HDR With regular madvr playback.
Charky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 09:56   #54306  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisaeed View Post
Hi, when I try to create custom resolution this error shows

how can I fix that?
Please quote the error as text (often you can press Ctrl+C in a dialog), or upload the picture to an external image hoster (frupic, tinypic, imgur, ...). Approval of attachments by a moderator often takes a long time here.

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 14:23   #54307  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charky View Post
I don't get it. Why don't you manually activate HDR in Win 10 display options, just for the need of calibrating ? When it is done, you can always go back to normal behavior of triggering HDR With regular madvr playback.

Triggering HDR via windows goes through OS-HDR , I recall that's a different render path vs AMD-HDR

The calibration results probably wouldn't be accurate because it's a different render path ?

I'm not sure, but that's how I assume it works.
Old 16th January 2019, 15:08   #54308  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by albur View Post
Where i see differences is in image enhancements for example, all on and all off but in the htpc i don't see it
I would expect to see some difference with image enhancements. There is likely some type of change if the rendering times in the OSD are increasing when any of the image enhancements are checked. This would imply the shader is active.

Try checking a few of the image enhancements at the same time and set them to a high value. I would also expect to see an immediate change, but it can be hard for your brain to adjust by simply changing a setting and looking at the screen for an immediate change. It is often better to watch some familiar content for a period of time, and then change the settings once more. Watching the display for an extended period makes it easier to determine if something has changed from the settings you were accustomed to previously. Your brain sometimes needs time to adjust. Display or color calibration can be like that.

highlight recovery strength in HDR -> SDR tone mapping is another example of this. Some people enable it and switch from low to are you nuts!? during playback and claim to see no difference. If you watched some content for a prolonged period of time, the difference between these two values can be dramatic.

Last edited by Warner306; 16th January 2019 at 15:14.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 15:10   #54309  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp4tissue View Post
Triggering HDR via windows goes through OS-HDR , I recall that's a different render path vs AMD-HDR

The calibration results probably wouldn't be accurate because it's a different render path ?

I'm not sure, but that's how I assume it works.
It isn't known for certain if the two approaches produce identical results because the output of Windows HDR is unknown, but in theory, the two should be the same if Windows sends the same HDR metadata to the display. There would have to be a good/flawed reason for Windows to send different metadata.
Old 16th January 2019, 15:10   #54310  |  Link
alisaeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
Please quote the error as text (often you can press Ctrl+C in a dialog), or upload the picture to an external image hoster (frupic, tinypic, imgur, ...). Approval of attachments by a moderator often takes a long time here.
https://i.imgur.com/Jrl6cst.png
alisaeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 16:12   #54311  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
It isn't known for certain if the two approaches produce identical results because the output of Windows HDR is unknown, but in theory, the two should be the same if Windows sends the same HDR metadata to the display. There would have to be a good/flawed reason for Windows to send different metadata.
For SDR, I've made a 3dlut from the displaycal patch generator, and also another identical setting 3dlut from madtpg generator,

They look extremely different, especially in dark tones.

So, I get what you're saying about in theory, but if it's not the same path, it's simply not the same image..

Again, respectfully I know y'all just trying to help. and it's appreciated..

I WILL TRY IT..
Old 16th January 2019, 16:35   #54312  |  Link
Warner306

But you would be using the same test pattern generator in this case, so it isn't really an equivalent example
Old 16th January 2019, 16:40   #54313  |  Link
tp4tissue

Quote:
But you would be using the same test pattern generator in this case, so it isn't really an equivalent example

We don't know, and I don't have anything to compare it to until the AMD issue is looked into.

The MADTPG would also be in OSHDR mode instead of AMDHDR mode, again different paths..

Last edited by tp4tissue; 16th January 2019 at 16:51.
tp4tissue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 17:43   #54314  |  Link
albur

Quote:
I would expect to see some difference with image enhancements. There is likely some type of change if the rendering times in the OSD are increasing when any of the image enhancements are checked. This would imply the shader is active.

Try checking a few of the image enhancements at the same time and set them to a high value. I would also expect to see an immediate change, but it can be hard for your brain to adjust by simply changing a setting and looking at the screen for an immediate change. It is often better to watch some familiar content for a period of time, and then change the settings once more. Watching the display for an extended period makes it easier to determine if something has changed from the settings you were accustomed to previously. Your brain sometimes needs time to adjust. Display or color calibration can be like that.

highlight recovery strength in HDR -> SDR tone mapping is another example of this. Some people enable it and switch from low to are you nuts!? during playback and claim to see no difference. If you watched some content for a prolonged period of time, the difference between these two values can be dramatic.
I use two players at the same time one with default render and the other with madvr, in pc i can see the diference but in the projector ther e is no diference at all, i will try to connect the htpc to the monitor and see what happens
Old 16th January 2019, 20:34   #54315  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
highlight recovery strength in HDR -> SDR tone mapping is another example of this. Some people enable it and switch from low to are you nuts!? during playback and claim to see no difference.
Depends on the scene a lot with this one. Just find one with clouds and change this value.. And anyone claiming they can't see a difference has medical issues. First scene in World of HDR highlights the difference rather well here.
Sometimes though people just have no idea on what to look for and are also looking at blown out over sharpened displays to begin with..

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th January 2019 at 20:37.
Old 16th January 2019, 21:21   #54316  |  Link
albur

Quote:
Depends on the scene a lot with this one. Just find one with clouds and change this value.. And anyone claiming they can't see a difference has medical issues. First scene in World of HDR highlights the difference rather well here.
Sometimes though people just have no idea on what to look for and are also looking at blown out over sharpened displays to begin with..
With image enhancements i see this on my monitor with my pc when i change in pause, but i can't see the diference in my projector with my htpc doing the same

https://imgur.com/a/q8SBvmN

Left one is 4k HDR with madvr in a 1080 display the other the blue ray, if i do the same in the htpc they are shown almost equal except for the color, not the sharpen, maybe the htpc is not doing downscaling?

Last edited by albur; 16th January 2019 at 21:24.
Old 16th January 2019, 21:23   #54317  |  Link
ryrynz

There's a huge difference between those two pictures, The one on the left is considerably sharper.
Look at the rocks.. look at the jagginess of the wires on the left image that run along the roof of that tent.

Last edited by ryrynz; 16th January 2019 at 21:26.
Old 16th January 2019, 22:15   #54318  |  Link
70MM
X Cinema Projectionist NZ

Ive been battling the Anamorphic mode on madvr for days and still dont understand what im doing wrong....
I upscale all my ripped BDs to 4K through madvr. I use JRiver on my JVC X9900 projector, with an Isco L lens and cineslide.

When I engage Anamorphic mode in madvr (set to default 4/3) the strectch is correct but the sides of the 16:9 window come in closer to a 4:3 window. For the correct stretch size the window sould be the same width as the 16:9 one when the A stretch is activated in madvr. I have the same height with the correct stretch but the width is not to the sides of the 16:9 screen, I need it to be the same width as 16:9 as the lens when engaged stretches the width correctly to the sides of the scope screen.

I hope you guys who use the A stretch on madvr and 4K upscaling can help me...

I have tried a multitude of Window sizing but cant understand how to get this right Im afraid...

Last edited by 70MM; 16th January 2019 at 22:18.
70MM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2019, 22:15   #54319  |  Link
albur

Quote:
There's a huge difference between those two pictures, The one on the left is considerably sharper.
Look at the rocks.. look at the jagginess of the wires on the left image that run along the roof of that tent.
Yes i can see it in my pc but doing the same in my htpc I don't see it with the projector, maybe the nvidia card? In the osd can't find if it's appliying the sharpen, left image i what i want to get in my htpc but i change the values and it does nothing
Old 16th January 2019, 22:20   #54320  |  Link
ryrynz

As was said previously, use the OSD (Ctrl-J) to determine that madVR is actually changing things whilst connected to the projector. If that can be seen then it's related to your viewing setup, in which case it would make sense to only change values that provide you a visual benefit. I have not seen this issue before, my assumption is that it's likely your projector that doesn't show the changes in image well.

Last edited by ryrynz; 17th January 2019 at 02:40.

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling