Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 12th January 2019, 20:02   #201  |  Link
Forteen88
Herr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan654 View Post
aq-mode in what Encoder. aq-mode doesn't give much details, since most encoders have aq-mode.
Oh, never mind, they changed default AQ-mode in x265 from 1 to 2 (it might differ which preset you use). Thanks anyway.
https://bitbucket.org/multicoreware/...d4e33f37e767c6

But there should be a way to still set x265 aq-mode to 1 in StaxRip.

EDIT: Thanks ukmark for the tip using custom commandline instead.

Last edited by Forteen88; 16th January 2019 at 12:44.
Old 12th January 2019, 23:30   #202  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post
Oh, never mind, they changed default AQ-mode in x265 from 1 to 2 (it might differ which preset you use). Thanks anyway.

If it's a default value it doesn't show up in the command line.

I tweaked the default value just in case, Uploaded the changes to the Resp.

x265 docs don't post all the changes. It hard to figure the update value change.
Old 13th January 2019, 11:37   #203  |  Link
katzenjoghurt

Hey Revan.

Quote:
I usually forget that app even exist at times. It has not been updated since 1.7.
Whaaat? That thing is so awesome to check the output quality.

Quote:
- You are loading a massive file into the code, it takes time to index & cache that file. It uses FFVideoSource as the source filter using AVS.
Sure...
But try to import a big video in 1.7.0.6 and afterwards try to import it in 2.0.0.0.
In the latter the application will freeze for some time after the indexing is done.

Quote:
- Many of offset is usually based off the codec, filter, or if the fps is off by .1 even if it doesn't show it in info data.
Hm. So why could 1.7.0.6 behave different than 2.0.0.0 then?
I'm back to using the old version now again because... as I said the import often takes ages now due to the freeze and every second time I can't really work with it due to that 1 frame offset which won't occur in 1.7.0.6.

It's a pity I could only reproduce it with full movies and not with some free downloaded YouTube samples to give you a test case.

Quote:
It's why it's usually a good idea to respec the video before encoding just incase something is off.
respec?

Quote:
- There allot of elements to take into account like range, Depth, and the display. Most PC Monitors are only 8Bit. You will not get the full effect of 10Bit color.
You're addressing the color difference between 8bit and 10bit I mentioned?
It's really some issue in that comparison tool - as I don't see those color differences when comparing VLC snapshots.
It gets pretty obvious in dark scenes.
Some other user mentioned it already here and Stax replied to it:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...55#post1831455

I checked that part of the code Stax mentions and it indeed changed.
And it feels like the colors are at least less off now. Though I still see
some slight differences sometimes - not sure if that's due to encoding though.
Didn't compare these frames in VLC yet.

Last edited by katzenjoghurt; 13th January 2019 at 11:40.
Old 13th January 2019, 18:57   #204  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenjoghurt View Post
Hey Revan.

Whaaat? That thing is so awesome to check the output quality.
I just forget it exist, There are allot of files needed to create Staxrip.

Quote:

Sure...
But try to import a big video in 1.7.0.6 and afterwards try to import it in 2.0.0.0.
In the latter the application will freeze for some time after the indexing is done.

Hm. So why could 1.7.0.6 behave different than 2.0.0.0 then?
I'm back to using the old version now again because... as I said the import often takes ages now due to the freeze and every second time I can't really work with it due to that 1 frame offset which won't occur in 1.7.0.6.

ffms source filter & indexer is different but that's it. The app is unchanged. It could also be dotnet(I don't have control over this).

I could try to do what I did with the thumbnailer, Which skips the index completely and loads instantly. Some files do not get along with ffms.

youtube and such are reencoded using latest standards, It very unlikely those files would create any kind of issues.

Quote:
respec?
It removes all the data and sets colormatrix and such to unspec. You would unspec like so(This function is already build in to the context menu):

Code:
clip = core.resize.Point(clip, matrix_in_s="unspec",range_s="limited")
clip = core.std.AssumeFPS(clip, fpsnum = int(%media_info_video:FrameRate% * 1000), fpsden = 1000)
clip = core.std.SetFrameProp(clip=clip, prop="_ColorRange", intval=1)
Just double check the framerate section, mediainfo and such can throw it slightly off.

When you respec it you might use something like so:

Code:
clip = core.fmtc.resample (clip, css="444")
clip = core.fmtc.matrix (clip, mats="709", matd="709")
clip = core.fmtc.resample (clip, css="420")
clip = core.fmtc.bitdepth(clip, bits=8, fulls = False, fulld = False)
Some files can have strange framerates, This was file from the web. unspec would properly scale to the correct rate.

Quote:
You're addressing the color difference between 8bit and 10bit I mentioned?
It's really some issue in that comparison tool - as I don't see those color differences when comparing VLC snapshots.
It gets pretty obvious in dark scenes.
Some other user mentioned it already here and Stax replied to it:
https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.p...55#post1831455

I checked that part of the code Stax mentions and it indeed changed.
And it feels like the colors are at least less off now. Though I still see
some slight differences sometimes - not sure if that's due to encoding though.
Didn't compare these frames in VLC yet.
When dealing with color there allot to take into account, Plus VLC uses a very engine and it has multiple ways to render including GPU.

Like I said to get the fully 10 Bit you need a 10Bit monitor plus your GPU set completely.

Not sure if the viewer processes any of the alpha channels. That could be throwing things off too. I think it just uses the standard RGB.

Last edited by Revan654; 13th January 2019 at 19:07.
Old 14th January 2019, 19:29   #205  |  Link
ukmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forteen88 View Post

You can set it under x265 'options' then use 'custom' section to enter '--aq-mode 1' and it will show up at the bottom next to the other x265 settings.
Old 14th January 2019, 21:00   #206  |  Link
katzenjoghurt

Thanks for your reply Revan.
I will play around with it.
Old 15th January 2019, 16:48   #207  |  Link
Malonn

I can't update Staxrip from within the program. If I do it through the interface (tools -> advanced -> update) nothing happens, no messages; nothing. If I do it via command line, it throws a "system.exception" error. Any ideas? Is this feature a known broken that I'm not aware of?
Old 16th January 2019, 02:55   #208  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malonn View Post
I can't update Staxrip from within the program. If I do it through the interface (tools -> advanced -> update) nothing happens, no messages; nothing. If I do it via command line, it throws a "system.exception" error. Any ideas? Is this feature a known broken that I'm not aware of?
The html code changed on github, so the source code has to be updated.
Old 16th January 2019, 18:17   #209  |  Link
Malonn

Oh, okay. You have to update StaxRip. Np, np. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle.
Old 18th January 2019, 03:34   #210  |  Link
Revan654

You Can Grab New Builds at Here

These will range From Beta to Final, But will not contain any External Files.
Old 18th January 2019, 18:42   #211  |  Link
paauw

qsvenc

qsvencc is working with this 2.0.0.1 build

thanx revan
Old 19th January 2019, 19:02   #212  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by paauw View Post
qsvencc is working with this 2.0.0.1 build

thanx revan
NP.

FYI, Appveyor Names the base number. Use the Info tab to get the real build number. The First one will be accurate after that not so much.

The Filesize is about .5 megs smaller compared to MSBuilder(VS 2017).

Any xml files or pdb files can be deleted.
Old 20th January 2019, 20:53   #213  |  Link
Revan654

Slight Update(From The Pipeline):

2.0.0.1 (Pipeline Version: 2.0.0.3)

- Updated Video Comparison Form, Will No longer need to index the File before View the Video.
- x265: Reset Some of the Defaults to there New defaults.
- Core: ImageUtils(Moved MKV to ffms instead of Using L-Smash)
- Core: Updated Caption for Thumbnails(If No Audio Exists it will Will leave the Field Blank).
- Core: Slight Renaming of two of Menu Items(Nothing Major)
- Core: Slight Tweak to to Temp Folder Creator, Nothing Noticeable.
- x265: AQmode Tweaked
- XAA Temp Remove from AVS, Code Needs to be Re-Worked with New Syntax.
- VS: Updated DGIndexNV Load Function It now loads using it's native method instead of AVS load function.
- VS: G41Fun replaces hnwvsfunc
- VS: hnwvsfunc Script removed
- VS: fvsfunc functions updated
- VS: Auto-Deblock Added to Context Menu
- VS: nnedi3_rpow2 added to Script folder for Support.
- VS: Added FixTelecinedFades to Context Menu for RCR.
- Encoders: Rebuilt QVSEnc Encoder Code.
- x265: Has been updated to 3.0+RC*
- x265: Updated the Defaults to there New defaults.
- x264/x265 Control CRF: Updated the Range. It Starts at 12 CRF and Ends at default value of 28.

^Just Pushed a New Update Mainly for the new VS Script and altered source filter for ImageUtil.

Mpvnet Slightly Updated:
Link: https://github.com/Revan654/mpvnet/r...Mpvnet.2.0.rar
Old 21st January 2019, 02:05   #214  |  Link
frenchfries

2.0.0.1 (2.0.0.4) requires handbrake?

Hey

I'm loading a test MKV into stax that I have just manually updated to 2.0.0.1/2.0.0.4 and also the mpvnet update and it's asking for handbrake. That seems weird to me.

Any comment on that?
Old 21st January 2019, 07:29   #215  |  Link
AVspace

I also just installed the newest update and it's requiring me to install Handbrake same as the person above when i add a source file. Is this really necessary to the program now? I'd prefer not to use that in my encoding they were working fine without it.

If it uses Handbrake in any way to encode i'd sooner go back to the older version. I haven't good experiences with encoding using that in the past.

Last edited by AVspace; 21st January 2019 at 09:05.
Old 21st January 2019, 14:18   #216  |  Link
AVspace

In two-pass mode using a quick first pass can anyone inform me how to change a few of the first pass settings to achieve a slightly better quality? From what i read if you change a few things like raising the -me a few notches it gives you an improvement? In my command line it just shows the same settings as my main settings and i don't seem to be able to change anything.
Old 21st January 2019, 19:28   #217  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVspace View Post
I also just installed the newest update and it's requiring me to install Handbrake same as the person above when i add a source file. Is this really necessary to the program now? I'd prefer not to use that in my encoding they were working fine without it.

If it uses Handbrake in any way to encode i'd sooner go back to the older version. I haven't good experiences with encoding using that in the past.
I kind bundle everything in single folder. VS2017/StaxRip scanned the Folder and picked it up. It will be fixed in the next Push.

Version: 2.0.0.5 will have it Removed.

It Should be up on the Site Shortly.

Last edited by Revan654; 21st January 2019 at 19:36.
Old 21st January 2019, 20:01   #218  |  Link
Revan654

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVspace View Post
In two-pass mode using a quick first pass can anyone inform me how to change a few of the first pass settings to achieve a slightly better quality? From what i read if you change a few things like raising the -me a few notches it gives you an improvement? In my command line it just shows the same settings as my main settings and i don't seem to be able to change anything.
Any Defaults will not Show up, Some require additional Options to become enabled.

Just be aware When No-Slow-pass is Enabled it also enables/changes these values:

Code:
--fast-intra --no-rect --no-amp --early-skip --ref 1 --max-merge 1 - -me DIA --subme 2 --rd 2
You also try use one of the lossless flags.

These are some of the Settings I use:

Code:
--output-depth 10 --aq-mode 1 --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --no-info --no-deblock --no-sao --no-strong-intra-smoothing
The Last three options tends to detroy the detail in the picture. I have no idea why these are enabled by default.

This is one option that a major Studio uses with x265

Code:
--output-depth 10 --cu-lossless --limit-modes --aq-mode 1 --no-open-gop --pmode --pme --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --repeat-headers --no-info --hrd --aud --no-deblock --no-sao --psy-rd 1 --no-strong-intra-smoothing
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:21   #219  |  Link
AVspace

Quote:
I kind bundle everything in single folder. VS2017/StaxRip scanned the Folder and picked it up. It will be fixed in the next Push.

Version: 2.0.0.5 will have it Removed.

It Should be up on the Site Shortly.
Thanks for the update. I was easily able to go back to the previous version so it wasn't too much of an issue. I'll go for 2.0.0.5
Old 22nd January 2019, 05:35   #220  |  Link
AVspace

Quote:
Any Defaults will not Show up, Some require additional Options to become enabled.

Just be aware When No-Slow-pass is Enabled it also enables/changes these values:

Code:
--fast-intra --no-rect --no-amp --early-skip --ref 1 --max-merge 1 - -me DIA --subme 2 --rd 2
You also try use one of the lossless flags.

These are some of the Settings I use:

Code:
--output-depth 10 --aq-mode 1 --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --no-info --no-deblock --no-sao --no-strong-intra-smoothing
The Last three options tends to detroy the detail in the picture. I have no idea why these are enabled by default.

This is one option that a major Studio uses with x265

Code:
--output-depth 10 --cu-lossless --limit-modes --aq-mode 1 --no-open-gop --pmode --pme --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --repeat-headers --no-info --hrd --aud --no-deblock --no-sao --psy-rd 1 --no-strong-intra-smoothing
Oh, this is my fault. I forgot to mention i use 264. That's my bad.

That's still helpful though especially if i do some x265 encodes. So if it's a default value it doesn't show up in the bottom where it shows --pass 1 and i'd have to custom change it to show up. I find out what the default values for a quick first pass are and then manually adjust it. I found the "custom first pass" section in the settings so i just need to find out what the default values for a quick first pass are and enter any adjustment. I didn't realize stuff like this --colorprim bt709 --colormatrix bt709 --transfer bt709 --range limited --no-info had much of an effect i have them all set to undefined i'll look more into this.

Last edited by AVspace; 22nd January 2019 at 05:44.
Closed Thread

Tags
aac, hdr, hevc, nvenc, staxrip, x264, x265