Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > VP9 and AV1

Old 28th March 2018, 18:07   #561  |  Link
iwod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hajj_3 View Post
Christ...........

Quote:
It's not even a bitstream freeze. This 'release' was put out by the marking folks, and wasn't even discussed with people on the AOM list (I'm part of AOM via VideoLAN). The bitstream remains under development.

Near as I can tell this is just a PR piece before NAB.
iwod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 18:10   #562  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

@iwod: Where is your quote from?

New German Gleitz board
MediaFire: x264 | x265 | VPx | AOM | Xvid
LigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 19:01   #563  |  Link
v0lt

Are there already video files that fully comply with the approved specification?
v0lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2018, 19:12   #564  |  Link
JEEB
もこたんインしたお!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LigH View Post
@iwod: Where is your quote from?
Daemon404 posted that on HN as people posted the "news" article there.

I love it how this wasn't co-ordinated at all with the technical folk in AOM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0lt View Post
Are there already video files that fully comply with the approved specification?
The bit stream hasn't yet been frozen. It is close to it, but there are still open issues on the issue tracker, and apparently there was going to be some final check-ups from now towards the first day or days of April.
Old 29th March 2018, 09:44   #565  |  Link
hajj_3

https://aomedia-review.googlesource.com/q/statuspen is this the same as the github tracker as there seems to be a lot more than 57 bugs on this one?
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 10:55   #566  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Thats a code review platform, not a bug tracker. All those entries there are proposed changes going through review in some shape or form.
Old 29th March 2018, 13:03   #567  |  Link
bstrobl

http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articl...in-124134.aspx

Apparently the hope is for the encoder to be 5x and decoder 2x slower by EOY when compared to VP9.
bstrobl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2018, 21:33   #568  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Anyway ... enough reason for MABS to support libaom in ffmpeg now, in the "non-free" variant. (And Zeranoe probably soon as well? Read their notes.)

Just check if "--enable-libaom" is included in ffmpeg_options.txt if you used the option ffmpegChoice=1; I believe it is not yet added { P.S.: Now it should. }. Elseway, ffmpegChoice=4 builds the full (non-free) version. Do not distribute.

New German Gleitz board

Last edited by LigH; 29th March 2018 at 22:02.
Old 30th March 2018, 13:07   #569  |  Link
vidschlub

Why is there no av1 dedicated Forum?

I'm a newbie but I enjoy reading posts here from advanced enthusiasts who opinion I trust. Like to see you guys discuss this stuff so I can learn
vidschlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2018, 13:20   #570  |  Link
vidschlub

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzso View Post
I think, only if the grain filter sucks and removes a lot of actual detail/pattern.
This is a common issue with hevc files throughout the internet, the term is often referred to "clay face" and it's utterly appalling.

I would expect any film enthusiast to want to keep as close a quality to the original source as humanly possible in the lowest bit rate possible.

MANY hevc files have this and only the good encoders who know what to look for seem to be smart enough to disable the film grain filter which I believe is on by default.

Plenty of skin wrinkles get removed as a result of this filter.
vidschlub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 04:12   #571  |  Link
wiak

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Can we have a subforum dedicated to AV1?.

I wonder why there's no subforum for VP8/VP9 codecs but they all might be put together.
or simply "Alliance for Open Media" subforum for AV1, VP9, VP8, Daala, Thor, and meybe Opus and Vorbis as they are all under the same webm/aomedia banner

AV1 shares dna from VPx, daala, thor, will be apart of webm container together with vp9, vp8, opus and vorbis

Last edited by wiak; 31st March 2018 at 04:14.
wiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 16:00   #572  |  Link
colinhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidschlub View Post
MANY hevc files have this and only the good encoders who know what to look for seem to be smart enough to disable the film grain filter which I believe is on by default.
Could you tell me where I can find this filter on x265? I went through its documentation and found nothing applicable.
colinhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2018, 17:26   #573  |  Link
Shevach
Video compressionist

Unlike to HEVC, there is a shortage of technical papers and detailed tutorials on AV1. i could not find even a dozen papers dedicated to AV1.
i use March 2018 'aomenc' version (AOMedia Project AV1 Encoder 0.1.0-8619-ge0018b5). There is one issue not clear to me:

To enable parallel encoding, it's necessary to use tiles. Apparently a sort of frame-level parallelization has not been implemented yet (i.e. when one core starts the first frame and upon completion of several MB-rows the second core starts the second frame by using already reconstructed samples of the first frame for motion estimation and so on).

The corresponding code is responsible for activating multi-threading:

if (AOMMIN(cpi->oxcf.max_threads, cm->tile_cols) > 1 && cm->tile_rows == 1)
av1_encode_tiles_mt(cpi);
else
encode_tiles(cpi);

So, in order to activate multi-threading you need set the following parameters: '--num-rows=0' and '--num-columns=N' and '--threads=log2(N)'
Actually in order to apply the parallel encoding i have to divide frames into column-wise tiles. For example, if i use 4x4 tile grid by setting '--num-rows=2 --num-columns=2 --threads=4' then no parallel encoding is performed.

What's a reason for such restriction?
Shevach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 17:23   #574  |  Link
foxyshadis
ангел смерти

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdie View Post
Can we have a subforum dedicated to AV1?.

I wonder why there's no subforum for VP8/VP9 codecs but they all might be put together.
HEVC and VapourSynth got their subforums when each was starting to get dozens of topics, you don't just magically hit 1.0 and get your sub. It took HEVC over a year after the final release and VapourSynth many months to get to that level of interest. Once that happens with AV1 (it started to with VP8 for a while, but never really hit for VP9) that would be a good idea.

I'm pretty loathe to lump a bunch of codecs together unless they're strongly related and all getting lots of topics. (There was a time when we had a VP3/VP6/Theora subforum.) But that's just my opinion, not necessarily D9's or the other mods'.
foxyshadis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2018, 18:42   #575  |  Link
hajj_3

mkvtoolnix 22.0 has been released, here is 1 of the new features.

* mkvmerge: AV1: added support for reading AV1 video from IVF, WebM and
Matroska files.
hajj_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 17:39   #576  |  Link
paul97

I have a question.
Why AV1 has more relevance than VP9? VP9 is on par with H265, but on youtube doesn't offer signfiicant bitrate improvements, video bitrate is about the same as Mp4.
Because it is better? For 4K videos ? Supported by many companies?
paul97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2018, 19:20   #577  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

Welcome.

How do you measure "more relevance"?

I suppose as soon as a more efficient format is announced already with a backing by major commercial companies, interest in the predecessor formats naturally subsides.

New German Gleitz board
Old 3rd April 2018, 00:14   #578  |  Link
TomV
VP Eng, Kaleidescape

FFMPEG AV1 encode syntax

Now that FFMPEG officially supports AV1, has anyone gotten FFMPEG to successfully encode an AV1 bitstream? What container are you using for output? FFMPEG rejects .av1, .bin, .webm and .mp4. It seems to run (SLOWLY) if you use .mkv or .ts

FFMPEG -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo -pix_fmt yuv420p -s 1920x1080 -r 60 -i Netflix_PierSeaside_1080p.yuv -c:v libaom-av1 -strict -2 Pier.mkv

I can't figure out how to pass parameters. -av1-params doesn't work, nor does any other syntax (-aom-params, etc.) I can guess.

If you've successfully encoded, have you been able to decode your AV1 bitstream back to YUV?

Last edited by TomV; 3rd April 2018 at 01:50.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 00:21   #579  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Matroska is the only supported container for AV1 in ffmpeg so far. MPEG-TS will just result in an unplayable file, don't do that. AV1 will likely never fit into MPEG-TS, unless someone defines an additional wrapping with special bitstream startcodes to sync to.
Not sure about other containers, are the specs for those even finalized?

For the options, it doesn't work like x264 or the likes, you can't just pass arbitrary option strings to the library to parse.
Currently, the following options are available directly, plus the usual ffmpeg options for bitrate etc:
-cpu-used x
-auto-alt-ref x
-lag-in-frames x
-error-resilience {default|partitions}
-crf x
-static-thresh x
-drop-threshold x
-noise-sensitivity x

Last edited by nevcairiel; 3rd April 2018 at 00:30.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2018, 01:54   #580  |  Link
TomV
VP Eng, Kaleidescape

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Matroska is the only supported container for AV1 in ffmpeg so far. MPEG-TS will just result in an unplayable file, don't do that. AV1 will likely never fit into MPEG-TS, unless someone defines an additional wrapping with special bitstream startcodes to sync to.
Not sure about other containers, are the specs for those even finalized?

For the options, it doesn't work like x264 or the likes, you can't just pass arbitrary option strings to the library to parse.
Currently, the following options are available directly, plus the usual ffmpeg options for bitrate etc:
-cpu-used x
-auto-alt-ref x
-lag-in-frames x
-error-resilience {default|partitions}
-crf x
-static-thresh x
-drop-threshold x
-noise-sensitivity x
Thanks.

It would make sense for FFMPEG to be able pass AV1 specific encoder parameters to libaom just like you can with -x264-params or -x265-params.
TomV is offline   Reply With Quote