Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Newbies

Old 9th June 2009, 11:11   #1  |  Link
junglemike

Seeking for some easy tool to convert mjpeg to x264

Hello.
I personally encode my videos from the camera, with x264 cli in crf mode , and prepare scripts from templates. Than I mux everything with mkvtools.

I bout a camera for a friend, which is similair to mine. It shoots 640x480@30 avi video in Jmpeg (about 10000kbps) and pcm audio (11khz). I would like you to recommend me _easy_ tool to make an x264+mkv out of this. The most important for me is that this tool/method would be easy (possibly, at the expense of some quality) , without understanding of scripts, bitrates, etc.
junglemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2009, 18:05   #2  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

You may want to give Avidemux a try:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=126164
Old 10th June 2009, 06:02   #3  |  Link
junglemike

I tried you advice, and actually liked avidemux pretty much. I used to virtualdub, but recently dropped it due to lack of support of mp4 and mkv containers. Applying filters and choosing codec is pretty simple and straight forward. I will be able to explain to non-experienced person with ease.
But one problem i haven't figured out yet - is audio. Latest avidemux 2.5 would immediately close, once i try to open my .avi file (simply disappear w/o any errors)
Avidemux 2.4 seem to handle fine my .avi, but it cannot produce sound, Either way, if I choose to copy sound, or choose mp3 audio codec, there is no sound in the resulting file, only video. (I used mkv+x264)
Old 10th June 2009, 06:14   #4  |  Link
junglemike

Sorry, my mistake. Sound is working fine. I've somehow loaded wrong file. After resampling it from 11khz to 22khz i was able to use lam3 mp3 codec.
Looks like i found what i was looking for :-) Now I need to save all the settings to a preset, so that my friend would automatically load that preset and audio/video settings would be automatically loaded.
Old 11th June 2009, 03:02   #5  |  Link
7ekno

MeGUI handles it too As long as you have FDDShow_tryout setup to handle MJPEG ...

You can also include a MCTemporalDenoise(setting="low") in the Avisynth script inside MeGUI to get rid of alot of the MJPEG camera "grain" ...

Save the profiles and Email to friend to use directly ...

Tek
Old 11th June 2009, 15:33   #6  |  Link
LoRd_MuldeR
Software Developer

@junglemike:
If you don't here any sound in Avidemux, make sure you did set "Audio Output" to "Win32" instead of "Dummy" in the preferences.
And yes, resampling often fixes audio-encoding problems, especially when your source audio has some "unusual" sampling rate.

BTW: If you encounter any crashes, look at Avidemux' log file for detailed information!