Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 31st July 2011, 21:14   #1  |  Link
Analytic

MPC-HC: How to get smoother playback of VC-1

Hi Folks,

When I try to play VC-1 encoded video in m2ts or mkv files with MPC-HC (1.5.2.3456 x64), the motion is jerky and with the m2ts files in particular, frames appear to be missing at equally spaced intervals.

[I have to use the VMR or Haali output modes because EVR CP doesn't play -- I guess due to MPC DXVA limitations on my system.]

Is there any way to make the VC-1 playback smoother? I am not seeing the problem with other codecs. Also, the original Blu ray DVD plays fine with no motion problems at all when I use the Cyberlink-based DVD player software that came with my HP notebook.

I see the problem regardless of how the m2ts file is created -- for example, either from an ISO clone with DVDFab 8.1.0.5 or as a copy with AnyDVD HD 6.8.4; the mkv file was in turn coverted from those. I've also encountered the problem with VC-1 videos from other sources.

I am running Windows 7 Pro SP1 64bit on a quad core HP Pavilion dv8 notebook with 8GB ram and NVIDIA Geforce GT230M adapter.
Analytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 22:58   #2  |  Link
clsid

This might help:
Renderer settings -> Frame Time Correction
Old 31st July 2011, 23:33   #3  |  Link
Analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
This might help:
Renderer settings -> Frame Time Correction
Unfortunately, the Enable Frame Time Correction option isn't available with the VMR or Haali output modes. I'm not otherwise able play VC-1 with the EVR Custom Pres. mode, which seems to be the only mode where frame time correction is available.
Old 31st July 2011, 23:58   #4  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Use another media splitter that outputs propper timestamps that work with MPC-HCs internal decoders - like my LAV Splitter. Simply install it, disable the internal MPEG splitter, and it should be much better already.
Old 1st August 2011, 00:57   #5  |  Link
edison

motion judder ?

try this:
http://www.svp-team.com/wiki/Download
edison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 01:45   #6  |  Link
Analytic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
Use another media splitter that outputs propper timestamps that work with MPC-HCs internal decoders - like my LAV Splitter. Simply install it, disable the internal MPEG splitter, and it should be much better already.

Ok, well, I gave this a try without satisfactory results, but could you specify exactly which LAV splitter to use (LAV Splitter and/or LAV Splitter Source) and which internal filters to disable (source and/or transform, MPEG PS/TS/PVA and/or MPEG-2 Video, MPEG-2 Video DXVA).

What I tried was install both the LAV Splitter and LAV Splitter Source and set each with "Prefer" priority. I also disabled the MPEG PS/TS/PVA source filter, and disabled the MPEG-2 Video and MPEG-2 Video (DXVA) transform filters and then restarted MPC-HC before playing. I still couldn't use the EVR CP output mode but the playback was actually now worse with the VMR modes. With the Haali mode, some portions of the playback was improved, but other portions still played very poorly.
Old 1st August 2011, 12:05   #7  |  Link
clsid

If the internal VC-1 DXVA decoder does not work, then the obvious solution would be to disable it.

Adding items to the External Filters list is not the same as 'installing'. It merely is a way to override the standard DirectShow merits. You only need to add "LAV Splitter" there. The source variant is for other purposes.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:11   #8  |  Link
Analytic

Quote:
If the internal VC-1 DXVA decoder does not work, then the obvious solution would be to disable it.
Ah, that was very helpful. The EVR CP mode now works with that disabled. I guess I got distracted with the modes and failed to notice the VC-1 DXVA filter.

Quote:
Adding items to the External Filters list is not the same as 'installing'. It merely is a way to override the standard DirectShow merits. You only need to add "LAV Splitter" there. The source variant is for other purposes.
Yes, what I had meant was that 1) installed the LAV Splitter; 2) added it as an external filter and 3) set the merit to "Prefer".

In any case, now with the VC-1 DXVA transform filter disabled, EVR CP working and only using the LAV Splitter, the playback of the m2ts file is definitely better. Still not quite up to where I'd like it to be, but I guess I can live with this. Curiously, the mkv playback is even smoother than the m2ts and since my ultimate aim is to play as a mkv file, that's fine.

Tags
gt230m, mpc-hc, nvidia, vc-1