Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > (Auto) Gordian Knot

Old 26th September 2007, 05:56   #1  |  Link
TerryG

Odd resolutions

I have a dvd of a local band that I'm wanting to convert to xvid. I used DVD Decrypter to rip the dvd and split it by chapter. The first chapter, which is an intro that runs about 45 seconds long, comes out with a resolution of 320x208. The next chapter, which is a full song running almost 5 minutes long, comes out as 320x240. I'm wanting to upload these to youtube, and their recommended resolution is 320x240, so that's what I'm shooting for.

Does anyone have any idea why the resolutions are different? The sources are all the same type, ripped from the same dvd, and I'm not changing any settings between the two files.

Thanks
TerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 09:23   #2  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

I have plenty of ideas, all of which can be found by reading the guides for AutoGK. It's all in the Ctrl + F9 (Hidden Options) section.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 15:40   #3  |  Link
TerryG

I've actually played around with the .aspect setting in the hidden options and it doesn't seem to make a difference. Last night before I went to bed I loaded up each .VOB that I wanted to encode, made sure that they had the exact same settings in the options and hidden options screens, and the intro still gets encoded at 320x208 while the rest of the songs, all 4+ minutes in length, end up at 320x240.

I tried looking around through the guides, but I couldn't find a "resolution changes on its own and how to fix it" guide, unless I overlooked it. Thanks for the reply tho, I guess I'll mess around with the hidden options a bit more.
TerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2007, 21:28   #4  |  Link
CWR03
Custom User Title

Make sure that when you set an .aspect option that you mark the checkbox next to it. Your different resolutions are likely due to AutoGK cropping more from one selection than from another, and in order to keep the correct dosplay ratio it has to produce a different size video.
CWR03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 20:00   #5  |  Link
len0x
I'm afraid we've to stop

considering above - to way to go is to disable autocrop...
len0x is offline   Reply With Quote