Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Closed Thread

Old 8th January 2008, 18:30   #2521  |  Link
nautilus7

Well, first of all... Does the order i specify the options has anything to do? No, right? (i use eac3to long enough so... it can't be that )

I 've done it several times and never got that big difference, but i think this is the first time i have to apply such a huge delay. I guess that's why i notice this behavior now.

I want the delay to be applied to the slowdown track. In my mind i do the actions in this order: 1.slowdown 2.delay 3.encode.
Old 8th January 2008, 18:32   #2522  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
A sample would be great. I think the dialog normalization removal doesn't work for this specific track (don't know why). The libav decoder never applies dialog normalization, so it works fine nevertheless. But the Nero decoder does apply dialog normalization if it's in the TrueHD stream.
Here's the sample you asked for.
Old 8th January 2008, 18:43   #2523  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus7 View Post
Well, first of all... Does the order i specify the options has anything to do?
No.

Quote:
I want the delay to be applied to the slowdown track. In my mind i do the actions in this order: 1.slowdown 2.delay 3.encode.
Yeah. But how can eac3to know? Maybe someone else thinks about: 1. delay 2. slowdown 3.encode? E.g. I'm thinking about the h264 HDTV broadcasts I'm recording here in Germany. If I want to convert them to 24p, I'd first add a PAL DVD track to the original 50i recording. For that to work I'd first need to find out the necessary delay. Afterwards I then need to slowdown the PAL DVD track and rewrite the video timestamps. Doing it this way I'd need to do 1. delay 2. slowdown 3. encode.

So as far as I can see when you do slowdown and delay at the same time eac3to simply doesn't know in which order to do things. Both order variations can be right or wrong depending on what the user wants. The only way to solve this properly would be to let eac3to make use of the order in which you specified the delay and slowdown options. But then there are further problems: If you demux an audio track from an EVO file and at the same time want to apply PAL speedup and delay it, there'd be the automatic delay correction which HAS to be made before speedup, then the speedup and finally the manual delay. That's all getting extremely confusing. So my recommendation is that in such situations you should probably better do the operations in 2 steps, so that there's no room for interpretation.
Old 8th January 2008, 18:54   #2524  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Here's the sample you asked for.
Thanks. Just tested it. The sample size is 11.1MB. Transcoding to FLAC with libav results in 9.68MB. Transcoding to FLAC with Nero also results in 9.68MB for me. Compared the two FLAC files and they are bit identical.

Can your buddy please retest whether he can reproduce the problem with the 10MB sample? Also please let him check whether he's using the latest eac3to version. And let him run "eac3to -test".
Old 8th January 2008, 19:13   #2525  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
No.

Yeah. But how can eac3to know? Maybe someone else thinks about: 1. delay 2. slowdown 3.encode? E.g. I'm thinking about the h264 HDTV broadcasts I'm recording here in Germany. If I want to convert them to 24p, I'd first add a PAL DVD track to the original 50i recording. For that to work I'd first need to find out the necessary delay. Afterwards I then need to slowdown the PAL DVD track and rewrite the video timestamps. Doing it this way I'd need to do 1. delay 2. slowdown 3. encode.

So as far as I can see when you do slowdown and delay at the same time eac3to simply doesn't know in which order to do things. Both order variations can be right or wrong depending on what the user wants. The only way to solve this properly would be to let eac3to make use of the order in which you specified the delay and slowdown options. But then there are further problems: If you demux an audio track from an EVO file and at the same time want to apply PAL speedup and delay it, there'd be the automatic delay correction which HAS to be made before speedup, then the speedup and finally the manual delay. That's all getting extremely confusing. So my recommendation is that in such situations you should probably better do the operations in 2 steps, so that there's no room for interpretation.
Ok, i see.

Maybe you can modify eac3to to "care" about the order of these 2 switches (slowdown, delay) when they are applied together. But i really don't mind. If you can make without investing much time and you want to, do it. I am happy there isn't a bug in eac3to.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:14   #2526  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Thanks. Just tested it. The sample size is 11.1MB. Transcoding to FLAC with libav results in 9.68MB. Transcoding to FLAC with Nero also results in 9.68MB for me. Compared the two FLAC files and they are bit identical.

Can your buddy please retest whether he can reproduce the problem with the 10MB sample? Also please let him check whether he's using the latest eac3to version. And let him run "eac3to -test".
I'll tell him to check again. Thanks for your time.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:20   #2527  |  Link
Wackyphill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie Boy View Post
My copy of 300 has the same file names as yours, the TrueHD track does not have a delay. I had no synch problems when the files were remuxed.

Cheers, Beastie.

Thanks for the info! It seems to be a problem w/ my process. I tried w/ Harry Poter 2 also and got the same sync problem. I've been using AnyDVD to rip the disc before using eac3to on the evo files. Does anyone know if AnyDVD can cause this sync problem?

If not it seems maybe to be a decoder problem? The video is VC1, the audio encoded into flac from the dolby true HD. What are the reccomended codecs for playback of this type?

I've just been installing ffdshow. Thanks for any help.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:39   #2528  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Maybe you can modify eac3to to "care" about the order of these 2 switches (slowdown, delay) when they are applied together.
Perhaps I'm being a bit slow here, but I can't think of any occasion when you would want to apply the speed change before applying the delay
When the video and audio are extracted with the delay automatically applied, you now have an audio file and a video file that are the same duration and in synch. If the same speed change is now applied to both, they will remain in synch. Therefore, even if the audio is done as a 1 step process, the delay should always be applied first.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers, Beastie.

Last edited by Beastie Boy; 8th January 2008 at 19:40. Reason: spelling
Old 8th January 2008, 19:44   #2529  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wackyphill View Post
Thanks for the info! It seems to be a problem w/ my process.
Without knowing your process, it's hard to comment. Re-encoding vc1 video with the Sonic video filters in the Graphedit chain can cause synch to drift.
I do know that it is not a eac3to problem, so perhaps it would be better to discuss your problem in another thread.

Cheers, Beastie.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:46   #2530  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Thanks for the info! It seems to be a problem w/ my process. I tried w/ Harry Poter 2 also and got the same sync problem. I've been using AnyDVD to rip the disc before using eac3to on the evo files. Does anyone know if AnyDVD can cause this sync problem?

If not it seems maybe to be a decoder problem? The video is VC1, the audio encoded into flac from the dolby true HD. What are the reccomended codecs for playback of this type?

I've just been installing ffdshow. Thanks for any help.
You should really try to find out which filters are being used on your PC. I take it you have remuxed the video to MKV, right? Have you muxed the FLAC track into the MKV, too? Or are you playing the FLAC track externally? Personally, I'm using madFlac for FLAC decoding.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:47   #2531  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Does anyone know if AnyDVD can cause this sync problem?
AnyDVD doesn't cause any problems, unless you use the explorer to rip the disc. Then you may end up with corrupted files.

Last edited by nautilus7; 8th January 2008 at 19:49.
Old 8th January 2008, 19:47   #2532  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Without knowing your process, it's hard to comment. Re-encoding vc1 video with the Sonic video filters in the Graphedit chain can cause synch to drift.
I do know that it is not a eac3to problem, so perhaps it would be better to discuss your problem in another thread.
Agreed. If the problem is not related to eac3to at all, it would make sense to discuss elsewhere. This thread is long enough as it is already...
Old 8th January 2008, 19:56   #2533  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Perhaps I'm being a bit slow here, but I can't think of any occasion when you would want to apply the speed change before applying the delay
When the video and audio are extracted with the delay automatically applied, you now have an audio file and a video file that are the same duration and in synch. If the same speed change is now applied to both, they will remain in synch. Therefore, even if the audio is done as a 1 step process, the delay should always be applied first.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers, Beastie.
Yes you are right.

First, i apply -slowdown and decode the pal track to wav.
Then, i decode to wav the original ntsc track of the movie.
After, i figure out the delay by checking multiple points of the decoded wavs (using an audio editor). I only make dub tracks for animation which is difficult to find the exact delay.
Finally, i encode the final ac3 audio by applying slowdown and delay at one step.

Confused?

Last edited by nautilus7; 8th January 2008 at 19:59.
Old 8th January 2008, 20:04   #2534  |  Link
Beastie Boy

Quote:
Confused?
Yes
Old 8th January 2008, 20:06   #2535  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
First, i apply -slowdown and decode the pal track to wav.
Then, i decode to wav the original ntsc track of the movie.
After, i figure out the delay by checking multiple points of the decoded wavs (using an audio editor). I only make dub tracks for animation which is difficult to find the exact delay.
Finally, i encode the final ac3 audio by applying slowdown and delay at one step.
Slowing down is what consumes the most time. So why don't you reuse the slowed down WAV file from your first step to encode the final AC3 file? You'd only have to slowdown once that way and would save time.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:28   #2536  |  Link
nautilus7

The wav file is actually mono wavs (-mono switch, remember?).
But a 2 hour movie won't fit in 6 channel wave because of the 4 GB limit.

I 'll have to re-consider my method, anyway...
Old 8th January 2008, 21:39   #2537  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:
Yes
I know... even i would be!

Assume you have a 23,976 fps track and a pal (25 fps) dub track of an animation movie. And because you have a brain damage (that's me ) you want to have perfect sync even if you never hear a difference. How would you do it?

I take the original (23,976) track and decode it to wav(s) (center channel is enough) and open it in a wav editor. Then i do the same for the 25 fps dub with slowdown applied.
This way i can compare=find the delay. Actually i check multiple point of the tracks to be sure (the brain damage we were talking ) so i need them to be in the same fps (slowdown must be done already).

Hope you understand. Sorry for spoiling the topic.
Old 9th January 2008, 00:28   #2538  |  Link
nautilus7

Quote:

He can reproduce the problem with the sample (he gets ~30MB). Uses latest eac3to, -test switch shows nero working ok. He has Vista 64bit.

I also tried the sample. Size ok here. I told him to re-install nero (he has v7.10.1.0 installed)
Old 9th January 2008, 06:01   #2539  |  Link
nesNYC

Okay madshi, first I'd like to thank and congratulate you on such a nice tool. So far I've re-encoded about 4 DD+ movies without any issues. DD+ seems to work fine.

Now my only issue is on THE_CHRONICLES_OF_RIDDICK, the track I want to use is DTSHD. When I play the audio track back, it's 2:11:42 in lenght, this coming right off of a EVODemux, demux. The movie, however, is 2:14:04 in length.

I've tried to apply 57ms delay (with eac3to) and try to get the DTS track to be 2:14:04 in length as well but it seems no matter what number I use in delay, when I play the track back it's still it's default time. Does adding delay in eac3to simply put markers for sync or does it actually try and time stretch the files to fit? I've read a lot of pages on this thread but cannot figure this one out. Should be simple right?

What's annoying is that the DTSHD file sounds so much better than the DD+ file and upto 1/3 into the movie, things are pretty much in sync. But by the end there is an amost 2 to 3 second delay, aaarrrhhh, LOL!

Any suggestions?

BTW, I also used the TrueHD -> DTS conversion suing SurCode and it also worked like a charm. I am having no delay issues on anything other than DTS(HD).

Last edited by nesNYC; 9th January 2008 at 06:08.
Old 9th January 2008, 07:15   #2540  |  Link
hristoff2

Try demuxing DTS core (blabla.dtshd blabla.dts -core) and mux the DTS stream with your video. Some DTS tracks have odd runtimes but muxed in matroska they're alright.
Closed Thread

Tags
eac3to