Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > New and alternative a/v containers

Old 7th May 2003, 12:15   #1  |  Link
fatso485

a few more ideas for matroksa (Subtitles, variable framerates and reslutions)

please excuse the crappy english.

1.variable frame rate support.

i think rm (withRV9) has suport for this, but i don't know how well it works.

i just encoded an anime @ 15fps @ 550bps it looks noticably better than the same clip encoded at the same bitrate @29.9fps. it is however noticably jerkier than th 29.9 in some scenes where we have the camera just scrolling or zooming (in other words scenes where 30FPS is not overkill). so to get the best of both worlds some scenes will run at 15 or even 12fps and others will run at 23.9fps. this is mostly an encoder issues but i think that it needs support from the container (am i right?)

2.variable resolutions
can clusters have different resolutions? if not, can it be supported? i'm sure everybody can think of a zillion reason on why something like that would be very useful.

3.subtitle idea
a mattroska video file would have a dummy text file (around 100K).if i find or make a subtitle for that movie i would easly add it to the movie in less than a second (no need for remultiplexing everything as i'm not changing the size of the movie). this in the long run will encorage the comunity to include subtiles in their movie files. it will also save a lot of time in trying to find the right subtitle that is synched correctly with the movie.

thanks
fatso485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 12:18   #2  |  Link
Sigmatador

Variable Frame Rate support is already planned ^^
Old 7th May 2003, 16:22   #3  |  Link
Atamido
Seņor Member

1. Matroska is inherently variable frame rate. Each frame has its own timecode, and it doesn' care if one frame is 50ms after the other, or 10 minutes. Unfortunately VirtualDub is inherently constant framerate, as well as pretty much all recording apps in existance. Once an encoder supports it, it can easily write it to Matroska.

2. Variable resolutions aren't supported by anything. DirectShow can't support changing the resolution on the fly, neither can vfw, or any other custom player. Once one can, then we can look at that, but it will most likely just be a function of the codec and player.

3. This is a function of subtitle filters. There are already some that exist that support this, so its not an issue. There is nothing that can be done from Matroska's side for this.
Atamido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 16:42   #4  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Re: a few more ideas for matroksa (Subtitles, variable framerates and reslutions)

Quote:
Originally posted by fatso485
2.variable resolutions
can clusters have different resolutions? if not, can it be supported? i'm sure everybody can think of a zillion reason on why something like that would be very useful.
Well, it is already supported through the use of Track restating. You simply specify that a Track is now handled this or that way. But it's only theoretical, no player can support it yet.

Quote:
Originally posted by fatso485
3.subtitle idea
a mattroska video file would have a dummy text file (around 100K).if i find or make a subtitle for that movie i would easly add it to the movie in less than a second (no need for remultiplexing everything as i'm not changing the size of the movie). this in the long run will encorage the comunity to include subtiles in their movie files. it will also save a lot of time in trying to find the right subtitle that is synched correctly with the movie.
Well subtitles can be found in 2 forms : separate files (like te current situtation ?) and muxed in the stream. We can support both, even though it's better to mux it, because it's easier to edit a file then.

Thanks for your interrest in matroska
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 17:01   #5  |  Link
CaptainCarrot

Is it possible to split ONE matroska-container into more than one file? Cause then you could take a 1.4GB-file, split it into two files that are still one container and burn them on CD. The next step would be on the players side: The player could buffer the last min, or 30 sec or something like that and kick out the 1st CD, indicating he wants the next one, so the movie could keep playing without a break and, since it's one container, it wouldn't even be necessary to split keyframe-accurate anymore. Zoomplayer already tries to do something like that when you play multiple avis from harddisk, but for the multi-CD-version you needed a container that tells a player something like "hey, i'm not finished at the end of this file!".

Hope this stuff I wrote makes any sense to you...
CaptainCarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 17:15   #6  |  Link
duartix

Quote:
so to get the best of both worlds some scenes will run at 15 or even 12fps and others will run at 23.9fps
I get your point, but if the video codec is smart enough it will drop those frames where nothing happens (I'm thinking of anime). DivX had that option, (haven't used it in a long time) and I think XVid does that too!
duartix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2003, 17:21   #7  |  Link
robUx4
Matroska Team

Quote:
Originally posted by CaptainCarrot
Is it possible to split ONE matroska-container into more than one file? Cause then you could take a 1.4GB-file, split it into two files that are still one container and burn them on CD. The next step would be on the players side: The player could buffer the last min, or 30 sec or something like that and kick out the 1st CD, indicating he wants the next one, so the movie could keep playing without a break and, since it's one container, it wouldn't even be necessary to split keyframe-accurate anymore. Zoomplayer already tries to do something like that when you play multiple avis from harddisk, but for the multi-CD-version you needed a container that tells a player something like "hey, i'm not finished at the end of this file!".

Hope this stuff I wrote makes any sense to you...
Sure, you can have "segments" linked together. It's not supported yet on playback, but it will be (with a friendly name for the user)
robUx4 is offline   Reply With Quote