Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > DVD & BD Rebuilder

Old 28th November 2017, 20:24   #26761  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I was having fun about Cinavia.
Oh. Seems that Universal/Lionsgate and Sony have stopped using it. Might be because it has been broken. So, the whole issue with Cinavia going forward might be moot.
Quote:
The copy replaces DTS-HD with a WAV equivalent without the watermark.
Actually it replaces it with a LPCM audio stream. While LPCM and WAV are both PCM audio, they are not the same. The headers are different. That is why you had me confused, using WAV instead of LPCM.

I suspect that DVDFab can't recode back to DTS-HD/MA because of licensing. Being a commercial product, DTS would want money. LPCM is free. I can't think of a reason why DVDFab can't remux the LPCM stream back into the movie backup. Other than the video would have to be recoded to an even smaller size, in order to keep all of the other audio streams and the special features, etc. By doing the movie only version, the video doesn't have to be shrunk as much.

You can recode the LPCM to DTS with ffmpeg or ffdcaenc (which is supposed to be a little better than ffmpeg). I doubt that you'll hear the difference.
MrVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 20:25   #26762  |  Link
Ch3vr0n

Replacing the audio was established YEARS ago, Cinavia is now (believe it or not) nearly 6 years old. and doing that opens up a whole shitload of problematic things.

audio duration must match to the last frame, bitrate must be valid, channels must be valid, codec must be valid,... just a complete nightmare
Ch3vr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 22:30   #26763  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonca View Post
Hey Lathe
Found the your picture from last week
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVideo View Post
English not your first language?

Sorry gonca, couldn't help it...
Lathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2017, 22:32   #26764  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by varekai View Post
Yes WE do!
Oh boy... Let's not get carried away here...
Old 28th November 2017, 22:33   #26765  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
I have no idea what you mean by "you-know-what removed." That said, WAV audio files are not Blu-ray compliant. If you are trying to actually get a LPCM audio stream, I have to ask... why? LPCM files are huge. They eat up lots of space. What is wrong with keeping the original DTS audio stream?
I was rather curious about this too AF...??? If you use the 'Keep LPCM' that should do it as long as you have the room

Last edited by Lathe; 28th November 2017 at 22:39.
Old 28th November 2017, 22:37   #26766  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Oh. Seems that Universal/Lionsgate and Sony have stopped using it. Might be because it has been broken. So, the whole issue with Cinavia going forward might be moot.
Man, that sure would be NICE! What a nasty little bugger... Whomever came up with that little gem should be consigned to the same place as dictators who use chemical weapons on their own people.

(well, that MIGHT be overstating it just a bit...)

Seriously though, are they REALLY not using it any more? That would be frigg'n AWESOME! Do you know why in detail they are not using it anymore if that is the case?
Old 28th November 2017, 22:40   #26767  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
Replacing the audio was established YEARS ago, Cinavia is now (believe it or not) nearly 6 years old. and doing that opens up a whole shitload of problematic things.

audio duration must match to the last frame, bitrate must be valid, channels must be valid, codec must be valid,... just a complete nightmare
What does that mean Ch3vr0n? It sure sounds ominous. I don't quite understand. Does this mean a 'good' thing or a 'bad' thing...?
Old 29th November 2017, 06:28   #26768  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lathe View Post
Seriously though, are they REALLY not using it any more? That would be frigg'n AWESOME! Do you know why in detail they are not using it anymore if that is the case?
The latest Universal/Lionsgate and Sony releases that I got my hands on were without Cinavia. As to why, I have no idea, as they have not officially said anything. Nor do I expect them to. They certainly are not going to admit defeat. They still label DVD/Blu-ray/4K releases as being copy protected, knowing full well they aren't. Here's hoping they continue to not use Cinavia.

As a side note, I fixed Sony releases by using the AC3 audio stream from the DVD release. I initially did that with Universal/Lionsgate releases, until they caught on and also started adding Cinavia to their DVD releases.
Old 29th November 2017, 06:35   #26769  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3vr0n View Post
How do you figure? It has not been a nightmare for a lot of people.
Old 29th November 2017, 06:52   #26770  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
The latest Universal/Lionsgate and Sony releases that I got my hands on were without Cinavia. As to why, I have no idea, as they have not officially said anything. Nor do I expect them to. They certainly are not going to admit defeat. They still label DVD/Blu-ray/4K releases as being copy protected, knowing full well they aren't. Here's hoping they continue to not use Cinavia.

As a side note, I fixed Sony releases by using the AC3 audio stream from the DVD release. I initially did that with Universal/Lionsgate releases, until they caught on and also started adding Cinavia to their DVD releases.
Wow, well, that is just friggin' GREAT that it is gone, hopefully for good! To me that was one of the most insidious encryption creations...
Old 29th November 2017, 09:01   #26771  |  Link
AmigaFuture

I should have typed LPCM. Having BD-RB convert the LPCM to AC-3 is pretty good. Sound is very good...and the "new" AC-3 from LPCM replacing the "infected AC-3" to the BD with movie and extras seems to be doing well. I'll check it all soon.
Old 29th November 2017, 10:56   #26772  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Wow, well, that is just friggin' GREAT that it is gone, hopefully for good!
You and me both.
Quote:
To me that was one of the most insidious encryption creations...
Technically it wasn't any form of encryption. It is more of a watermark.

With our luck, it'll show up again.
Old 29th November 2017, 11:02   #26773  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaFuture View Post
I should have typed LPCM. Having BD-RB convert the LPCM to AC-3 is pretty good. Sound is very good...and the "new" AC-3 from LPCM replacing the "infected AC-3" to the BD with movie and extras seems to be doing well. I'll check it all soon.
IMHO, it would be a "little" better if it were re-coded to DTS. It can have a bitrate that is a little more than twice that of AC3. That would allow it to keep more of the "info" that is in Dolby-TrueHD/DTS-MA audio streams. And the program to do it, ffdcaenc, is free. I use it quite a bit.
Old 30th November 2017, 02:01   #26774  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
IMHO, it would be a "little" better if it were re-coded to DTS. It can have a bitrate that is a little more than twice that of AC3. That would allow it to keep more of the "info" that is in Dolby-TrueHD/DTS-MA audio streams. And the program to do it, ffdcaenc, is free. I use it quite a bit.

Absolutely! Why setting for 640 (or less) when you can have DTS @ 1536...??? Of course, SOME older films or material it might not matter much, but anything with a decent soundtrack...???
Old 30th November 2017, 15:29   #26775  |  Link
jdobbs

Quote:
Absolutely! Why setting for 640 (or less) when you can have DTS @ 1536...??? Of course, SOME older films or material it might not matter much, but anything with a decent soundtrack...???
Because it's a waste. If AC3 at 640Kbs is invisible and indistinguishable from the original LPCM to the human ear -- why do you need a higher bitrate? Save the extra bandwidth so it can be used to improve your video.

Last edited by jdobbs; 30th November 2017 at 21:13.
jdobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2017, 23:44   #26776  |  Link
gonca

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
Because it's a waste. If AC3 at 640Kbs is invisible and indistinguishable from the original LPCM to the human ear -- why do you need a higher bitrate? Save the extra bandwidth so it can be used to improve your video.
Yep! +1
But that's Lathe, he likes to overly tweak things to the point where they waste time and space.
He seems to have an anal compulsive obsession about these things.
And then there's MrVideo, he knows better
gonca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2017, 01:12   #26777  |  Link
MrVideo

Quote:
While I supposedly know better, I too agree with using DTS for sources that start out with DTS-MA, or Dolby TrueHD. that are converted to LPCM. DTS is just a little better encoder. Use 768k if you want to save on some bitrate.
Old 1st December 2017, 03:18   #26778  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdobbs View Post
DOHHHHH! Crap! I totally forgot how you feel about that!
Old 1st December 2017, 03:20   #26779  |  Link
Lathe

Quote:
Yep! +1
But that's Lathe, he likes to overly tweak things to the point where they waste time and space.
He seems to have an anal compulsive obsession about these things.
Oh, the pain, the pain...

Old 2nd December 2017, 23:53   #26780  |  Link
AmigaFuture

Quote:
You and me both.

Technically it wasn't any form of encryption. It is more of a watermark.

With our luck, it'll show up again.
Leave me out of that our statement. I don't accept luck as a truth, I'm not into superstitions. Will there be some other form of "protection"? to attempt to stop pirates and cause challenges for legal owners? Sure...perhaps. Some things repeat in evolution while others stop.

I'm into Eastern medicine, thoughts and activities for the body that bests Western Docs. I still hear sounds a bit better than most I've met. I'll check into ffdcaenc with 768k for fun.