Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Subtitles

Old 3rd July 2012, 00:10   #1081  |  Link
SassBot

Can you post the input file? I can look into it. I've also got it working where you can specify options for when you want to also load the GUI (by either not specifying neither a source nor a output file or a source file with no output).
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:26   #1082  |  Link
mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0lZ View Post
No problem with the CLI any more. (I still have to check the new "no" options, but without the INI and the switches, the command works fine, without messages to stdout.)

So, I did a complete test and watched it on my TV. Bad news: The colours of the subtitles are wrong. The original subs are light grey with black outline, and the subs generated with the ++ version are blue. (Not sure the outline is also blue or is fully transparent, but I can't see it.)

The original jar version has also a bug. The text colour is correct (grey), but the outline is also missing, or is also grey.

No problem with SubtitleCreator.

I'll have a look at the IDX files tomorrow. Time to go to bed!
I had said in my last post the colors of subtitles are green or blue.

So the problem is not my configuration

Last edited by mood; 3rd July 2012 at 02:18.
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 01:42   #1083  |  Link
SassBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mood View Post
I had said in my last post the colors of subtitles are green or blue.

So the problem is not my configuratin
Yes, but the IDX/SUB files you gave me decoded as red hence why I asked for a file that shows the issue.
Old 3rd July 2012, 02:20   #1084  |  Link
mood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SassBot View Post
Yes, but the IDX/SUB files you gave me decoded as red hence why I asked for a file that shows the issue.
Yes is red, but in mpc-hc or in my hdtv show in green or blue.

like in image i post before.
mood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 10:32   #1085  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
Can you post the input file? I can look into it.
Here it is: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/t...titles_test.7z

The archive contains the original SUP, the IFO and the Subtitles_palette.ini I've used to generate the SUB/IDX files.
The IDX files generated by SubtitleCreator and the java and c++ versions of BDSub2Sub are also included.
The two log files are stripped down versions of the output of the BDSup2Sub programs.

The command lines were:
Code:
SubtitleCreator.exe Subpictures_22.sup -vfr -iSubpictures_22.IFO

bdsup2sub++.exe  --language fr --palette-file Subtitles_palette.ini --alpha-thr 40 --minimum-time 0 -o Subpictures_22.sub Subpictures_22.IFO

java  -Xmx256m -jar BDSup2Sub.jar /forced- /res:keep /fps:keep /lang:fr /pal:Subtitles_palette.ini /dly:0 /atr:40 ^
        /scale:1.0,1.0 /tmin:0 /swap- /forceall- /exppal- /fixinv- /verbatim- Subpictures_22.IFO Subpictures_22.sub
As you can see, the palette is correct in the SC and java versions, but not in the c++ version. It seems to have kept its hardcoded palette, despite the fact that an IFO was loaded and that a palette.ini file was provided via the command line. Seems there is still a problem with the precedence order.

Note that my GUI overwrites the original palette of the INI saved by SubtitleCreator, as I can't be sure that it picks the palette of the right PGC in the IFO. I can of course do it also for BDSup2Sub++, but the bug must be fixed anyway.

All other fields of the IDX files are identical, except the "custom colors:" line, that should be ignored anyway.

I can't understand why the outline is not visible in both versions of BDSup2Sub. IMO, there is also a bug in the SUB files, related to the transparency or the way the colours are mapped to the pixels. Anyway, there must be some differences in the SUB files as well, but I can't easily locate them.

Last edited by r0lZ; 3rd July 2012 at 10:44.
r0lZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 11:01   #1086  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Just did another test with ++. Same command as above, except that I've removed the "--palette-file Subtitles_palette.ini" option, to check if the program takes the IFO palette into account when no external palette is provided. Same bug.

Then, I've loaded the IFO file in the GUI, and verified the palette. It was correct. I've exported the SUB, and the palette was again wrong in the IDX. So, IMO, the bug is not when the IFO/SUP/palette are loaded, but when the palette is saved. It saves always the default palette, instead of the imported palette.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:14   #1087  |  Link
SassBot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mood View Post
Yes is red, but in mpc-hc or in my hdtv show in green or blue.

like in image i post before.
Then you have something broken. I played the IDX/SUB files you gave me in MPC-HC and it shows up with the same colors as I get when loading it in both the original Java and my BDSup2Sub. Unless that SUB/IDX isn't the source file you used I can't help you any further with that since I'm seeing the identical decoded output in anything I load what you gave me.

Thank you for the files you posted r0lz.

Last edited by SassBot; 3rd July 2012 at 12:19.
Old 3rd July 2012, 12:53   #1088  |  Link
SassBot

Ok, I found the problem. It had to do with how the palette files were written out. I copied some code straight from the Java that was causing problems. deadbeef had written code to do his own number to hex string which added a 0x to the beginning so he was creating a substring to clip off the 0x. I copied over this behavior without realizing it even though Qt's string class does hex string creation without the 0x. So what was happening was the first 2 bytes of each hex color was trimmed off giving the erroneous result. I now get the proper output for that IFO/SUP when outputting to IDX/SUB. No longer green.
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:08   #1089  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Good.

Can you have also a look at the problem of the missing outline? The original java version has that bug too, so I guess it will be harder to fix.

(BTW, when the SUB/IDX is reloaded in BDSup2Sub, the outline seems correct. But it is not when the movie is played with my LaCie LaCinema HD box. It's not a bug of the LaCie, as the subtitles generated with SubtitleCreator do not have that problem.)
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:14   #1090  |  Link
SassBot

Can you provide both the sub and idx of what you get from SubtitleCreator?
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:21   #1091  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

No problem: http://download.videohelp.com/r0lZ/t...reator_subs.7z
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:40   #1092  |  Link
SassBot

Quote:
Then, I've loaded the IFO file in the GUI, and verified the palette. It was correct. I've exported the SUB, and the palette was again wrong in the IDX. So, IMO, the bug is not when the IFO/SUP/palette are loaded, but when the palette is saved. It saves always the default palette, instead of the imported palette.
This is a bug in the Java version, too, when you use the GUI. I'm chasing down the issue.

Edit to add:
So the issue is that when you choose to export to IDX/SUB it has "create new" selected for the palette mode by default so it will only output the default palette. You have to select "keep existing" to get the palette that you want.

Last edited by SassBot; 3rd July 2012 at 13:46.
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:59   #1093  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

OK, but IMO it should set "keep existing" by default. I don't see any reason to overwrite the (theoretically) right palette with the default one, almost always wrong. Anyway, it copies the default palette to the existing one if no palette has been provided (in blu-ray mode). If the user provides a palette (either with the IFO or with the palette CLI arg), why should it ignore it by default?
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:04   #1094  |  Link
SassBot

The behavior I described is only when you use the GUI. If you specify a palette file from the CLI it sets the flag to use the imported palette. The GUI on the other hand always defaults to "create new" when you choose IDX/SUB output and I just copied what the Java version did. Why deadbeef chose that I have no clue but I'm fine with changing it.
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:08   #1095  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
... but I'm fine with changing it.
Great!
Old 3rd July 2012, 14:20   #1096  |  Link
SassBot

Beta 11 is here with fixes for the aforementioned issues. Outline issue I still need to look in to.
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:32   #1097  |  Link
SassBot

Quote:
Good.

Can you have also a look at the problem of the missing outline? The original java version has that bug too, so I guess it will be harder to fix.

(BTW, when the SUB/IDX is reloaded in BDSup2Sub, the outline seems correct. But it is not when the movie is played with my LaCie LaCinema HD box. It's not a bug of the LaCie, as the subtitles generated with SubtitleCreator do not have that problem.)
Just as a guess, does this sound similar to the issue you see? mjuhasz made a special branch of BDSup2Sub with some fixes for the WDTV Live issues he saw. Can you see if using it fixes the outline issue? If it does I can incorporate them into my version which will be enabled by a checkbox when you save the file or through a CLI option.
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:35   #1098  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Palette bug fixed and it is now possible to specify CLI arguments and open the source SUP. Good job!

However, in the export dialogue, the default language is always English, even if another language has been specified from the CLI. Can you change that?

Also, I've noticed a new "Subtitle language" dropdown box in the main window, but it is always disabled. What is (or will be) its usage? Will you remove the same option from the export dialogue? (IMO, that will be a good thing.)
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:38   #1099  |  Link
SassBot

Quote:
Palette bug fixed and it is now possible to specify CLI arguments and open the source SUP. Good job!
Good!

Quote:
However, in the export dialogue, the default language is always English, even if another language has been specified from the CLI. Can you change that?
Well that's because what you specify from the CLI will get overridden if the GUI is launched. I can add a flag to keep the setting.

Quote:
Also, I've noticed a new "Subtitle language" dropdown box in the main window, but it is always disabled. What is (or will be) its usage? Will you remove the same option from the export dialogue? (IMO, that will be a good thing.)
It's for IDX/SUB files with multiple languages so you can change between the different tracks like the IDX/SUB from this post.
Old 3rd July 2012, 15:54   #1100  |  Link
r0lZ
PgcEdit daemon

Quote:
I can add a flag to keep the setting.
That will be OK, although IMO that flag is not necessary. If some settings are provided via the command line, I suppose that the program can assume that the user wants them by default. You can simply overwrite all defaults that have been specified with the CLI. (I've not verified, but according to the original doc, it's what the original version is supposed to do.)

Thanks for the other info, and for the very informative link. I'm currently doing some tests with colour indexes different than the last one, but I can already confirm that the last colour was used, and was black. But if it's really a bug of the player, I don't understand why SubtitleCreator doesn't have the same issue. Will try to understand...