Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs

Old 30th October 2003, 01:38   #1  |  Link
karl_lillevold

RV9 2-pass VBR improvements

NOTE: this improvement now superseeded by a completely re-written rate control. Please see RealVideo 10 'Elysian'

RV9 2-pass VBR rate control improvements
Download this erv4.dll [10/29/03] and copy to 'codecs' folder in producer's directory. The new DLL version information should read: "RV 9 EHQ+xVBR". Remember to back up existing erv4.dll. You don't have to do anything else, the new rate control is default in this DLL, just encode with 2-pass VBR with the settings you used before. Below is a detailed explanation of the changes.

New features:
More variable VBR : takes better advantage of gathered information from 1st pass, to let the codec spend more bits in high action scenes. See this comparison (750 kbps, cropped).

This includes better use of Max Startup Latency setting. MSL is still limited to 60 seconds, but this was not utilized well before.

TIP : Note that the maxBitrate parameter does not actually limit max bitrate (it never did, other problems, now fixed, were limiting factors). However, maxBitrate affects how constant the quality turns out, since the VBR does its calculations within a window with a length given as 2 * MSL * maxBitrate/avgBitrate. So, in order to get an even more constant quality throughout the clip than this new rate control now offers, choose a large maxBitrate, for instance 8X avgBitrate. See this plot for the effect on a 25 minute clip with more high action in the first half than the second half. With 8X you see how the maxSuggestedQP and minSuggestedQP are more constant than for 2X.

In light of this improvement, it may be a good idea to change maxBitrate from 2.1X avgBitrate (my previous advice) to a higher number, maybe as high as 4-5X average.

To encode with the old rate control, you have to switch DLLs back to the old version.

Especially for short clips, if you find that the resulting filesize is larger than the target filesize, try to reduce MSL from 60 seconds to a smaller number.

Better automatic selection of number of B frames in 2nd pass : For 2-pass encodes previously, 3 B frames were almost always used, even for very high action, where 1 would have been much more appropriate.

Separable 2-pass encoding : It is now possible to encode 1st and 2nd pass separately. Here is how:

1st pass:
Encode with the following line in <codecProperties> in your audience:
Code:
<codecProperties type="bag">
    <firstPassFile type="string">MyAnalysisFile.rva</firstPassFile>
</codecProperties>
Use extension .rva for the filename. Run producer in normal 2-pass mode. Now you can CTRL-C out of the 2nd pass, or let it finish normally. In any case, you can then view MyAnalysisFile.rva in the current directory, and potentially edit it. Currently I would suggest only to touch MinSuggestedQP, MaxSuggestedQP, and NumBFrames, or just view the file out of curiosity. I have not tested any changes to this file, so anything may happen. The same applies if you change any other settings between the two passes, for instance pre-filters or bitrates.

If you do not set a filename, with this special DLL, the analysis file will always be preserved. The default filename is ENCsomerandomstring.rva. This can be renamed and/or used for the 2nd pass as well, even if you did not specify a FirstPassFile option. This possibility will not exist in production build codecs, where the FirstPassFile option will be required to preserve the analysis file.

2nd pass re-start or re-encode:
Put the following in <codecProperties> in your audience:
Code:
    <secondPassFile type="string">MyAnalysisFile.rva</secondPassFile>
</codecProperties>
and encode with the '-dt' option to disable 2-pass. Include filename extension .rva. If you do not add the -dt option, producer will run two passes as it normally would, but with a wasted 1st pass. The reason this is necessary, is that this separable encoding mechanism is implemented in the codec itself, without producer knowing about it

HFEnhance : this is just a minor encoder improvement in preserving high frequency spatial information. It is not very visible, but is the new default. The main improvement is the 2-pass rate control above. HFEnhance can be disabled with the regkey NoHFEnhance=1 in the standard location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\RealNetworks\RV9]
"NoHFEnhance"=dword:00000001

This DLL also fixes the patternAdaptivity 2nd pass bug.

A special thanks to Ramirez and CruNcher for providing compelling demonstrations of how RV9 did not spend enough bits in high action scenes, when the content is mixed low and high action, and to D-C for his RMVB bitrate analysis tool. Please use this to see how bits are spent.

Now it is up to you to provide some feedback. I am sure more improvements can be made, but my tests so far have been promising. This however, does not by any means guarantee it will work for you.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 21st February 2004 at 17:42.
karl_lillevold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 06:52   #2  |  Link
haibane

since the new 2-pass have better B-frame decisions.....
should i remove the pattern adptivity setting and the scaling factor setting in the registry?
or it doesn't affect 2-pass...........
haibane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 06:58   #3  |  Link
alx

Oh my God......Dark Craker, are you watching this??? Please, AutoRV9 1.4 beta 1 with 2 separate pass is needed........."2pass-1st. pass" and "2pass-2nd. pass" XVID style window required
Just joking.
Thanks to you karl and the whole team.
Alx
alx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2003, 11:43   #4  |  Link
Sigmatador

hé karl good job ^^ (and good timing... vp6 is here ^^ )

i'll test it soon.
Old 30th October 2003, 18:06   #5  |  Link
karl_lillevold

for those still using the old Helix Producer GUI 9.0.1, the DLL replacement procedure is the same as before, a little more complicated than the most recent cmd line Milestone builds. See this post for details.

@haibane: You can examine the 2-pass analysis file, and see what this new version chooses, but for less than full framerate animation I still suggest to use patternAdaptivity set to '1'. Leave scalingFactor alone, i.e. do not use it, unless you have found a setting that works much better than default, then please report this in the Undocumented RV9 tweaks thread. Thanks!
Old 31st October 2003, 00:11   #6  |  Link
haibane

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
@haibane: You can examine the 2-pass analysis file, and see what this new version chooses, but for less than full framerate animation I still suggest to use patternAdaptivity set to '1'. Leave scalingFactor alone, i.e. do not use it, unless you have found a setting that works much better than default, then please report this in the Undocumented RV9 tweaks thread. Thanks!
This is the first part of the analysis file...
I see "MaxBFrames = 3" in there, is this the what the codec suggests me to use on second pass?

My encode is an episode of an japanese animation, so even the codec suggest to use B-frame=3, i still should use B-frame=1?

// Video Stream
// Variable Bit Rate
Stream 0 ==============================
FileVersionNumber = 0;
Codec = RV40;
MaxBFrames = 3;
CodingMode = 0; (Video)
AvgBitrate = 485918;
MaxBitrate = 1835918;
MinQP = 1;
MaxQP = 31;
KeyFrameRate = 10000;
Scene 1 ------------------------------
StartTime = 0;
EndTime = 5297;
MinSuggestedQP = 3.38;
MaxSuggestedQP = 4.84;
NumBFrames = 3;
MaxSuggestedFrameTime = 162;
RPRSize = 0;
KeyFrameRate = 10000;
UpperTargetBitrate = 599458.500000;
LowerTargetBitrate = 455588.437500;
QP_Hat = 4.67;

Another question is that is there any explanation for the options in the analysis file?
such as what is a "RPRSize"?
What is the difference between MaxSuggestedQP and QP_Hat?
Does QP mean quantizers?

BTW, the first test i did shows great improvement over my previous encoding. Eventhough the background suffers much, but the scene transition and higher motion are much better now.
I have taken some shots here: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~liusu/compare/

the file named with apass(it's called a-pass because i was doing some blind testing with other people) has the following setting:

it is actually made with 1-pass vbr, because i feel the older 2-pass didn't give enough quality improvement to justify the extra time used.........

a-passs setting:
EHQ=90
custumpaketsize=16000
BF=1
scale=120
average bitrate=550kbps
max bitrate=1900kbps
audio= cook 64 kbps
max startup latency=60
other settings use default........

this one is encoded with the new 2-pass..
b-pass setting:
EHQ=90
custumpaketsize=16000
BF=auto
scale=auto
average bitrate=550kbps
max bitrate=1900kbps
audio= cook 64 kbps
max startup latency=60
other settings use default........

Last edited by haibane; 31st October 2003 at 00:26.
Old 31st October 2003, 00:21   #7  |  Link
karl_lillevold

MaxBFrames is just the max number of B frames to use for the whole clip. Each scene is then independently decided by the NumBFrames setting for that scene, as given in the analysis file. If you see NumBFrames = 3, and would like to use 1 B frame instead, which is good for less than full framerate animation, then edit the analysis file before re-encoding 2nd pass, or even simpler: just use the patternAdaptivity setting to always force 1 B frame. If you decide to use patternAdaptivity=1, you have to re-run both passes for this particular encode.

RPRSize is used only for very low bitrates, where pictures are resampled and encoded at a lower resolution. Not recommeded. QP_Hat is ignored, but it is the 1st pass estimate of what QP value should be used to encode the clip at a constant quality, and reach the target filesize. It is a very rough estimate. The actual QPs used will vary between the limits given by MaxSuggestedQP and MinSuggestedQP for each scene.
Old 31st October 2003, 16:24   #8  |  Link
Kaiousama
Italian Doom9 Staff

My tests on the new build report a gaining of 0.3 - 0.4 db in avgPSNR measurements, both for 1pass vbr and 2pass vbr modes.

I like also to report that, like it was for latest official milestone, comparing a 1pass vbr encoding with a 2pass vbr version of the same clip results in a 0.4 db avgPSNR better for 1pass vbr mode clip; the test was performed on a classical 25 minutes anime episode without dropdupe.

Thanks for this new improvement, karl!
Old 1st November 2003, 01:24   #9  |  Link
karl_lillevold

thanks for trying the new VBR!

Let me illustrate the 2-pass advantage with some numbers from my 3 min test clip at 750 kbps (2min 30sec low action, 30 sec high action)
Code:
M7           Avg     Min
1-pass VBR : 45.81   32.69
2-pass VBR : 45.85   34.25

New
1-pass VBR : 45.86   32.85
2-pass VBR : 46.06   36.51
As you can see:
1) Min PSNR increased by 2.26 dB in new version 2-pass VBR, relative to 2-pass VBR in M7.
2) Min PSNR increased by 3.66 dB from 1-pass to 2-pass in new version, and 1.56 dB in M7, even though Avg PSNR is about the same in 1-pass vs 2-pass
3) Avg PSNR increased 0.21 dB in new version 2-pass VBR, relative to 2-pass VBR in M7

The reason for this behavior is that in 1-pass, the encoder does not know what lies ahead, and starts out the high action at very high quality. Then as it runs out of bits, it increases the QP dramatically. On average, PSNR does not suffer too greatly, but the minimum PSNR gets really bad at the end of the high action scene. As you have seen, the average can in fact sometimes be better for a 1-pass VBR encode, than a 2-pass VBR encode, but the quality is most likely much more variable.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 1st November 2003 at 01:27.
Old 3rd November 2003, 14:08   #10  |  Link
Kaiousama
Italian Doom9 Staff

Uh... now it's all clear

btw: what about adding the minPSNR in rv9log.txt statistics?
Old 4th November 2003, 20:45   #11  |  Link
karl_lillevold

@Kaiousama: good suggestion, i was using column copy and paste into excel to find the Minimum. I have now added MinPSNR to rv9log.txt, will be included in next release.

@all: added TIP to the first post, on how to finetune the rate control yourself, for more or less constant quality, using the maxBitrate parameter.

Last edited by karl_lillevold; 6th November 2003 at 01:04.
Old 4th November 2003, 21:29   #12  |  Link
Sirber
retired developer

Quote:
Originally posted by karl_lillevold
Note that the maxBitrate parameter does not actually limit max bitrate (it never did, other problems, now fixed, were limiting factors).
IIRC, I saw that few months ago while I was trying to limit CQ bitrate for anime encoding on GITS:SAC. Never worked
Old 8th November 2003, 00:03   #13  |  Link
haibane

Hi, Karl......
will there be a tool with gui that can edit the rva file.
For example, this tool can scale up the bitrate or scale down the bitrate, put custom weight on custom defined ranges, or distribute more bits to low bitrate scene or high bitrate scene........
this could be very help because once we made the encode but decide the bitrate is not enough or we want sharpen the picture and increase the bitrate, or vise versa......
Then we don't have to do the first pass again to gather date......
we can just modify the old data to compensate for the change we made............
Old 8th November 2003, 00:25   #14  |  Link
karl_lillevold

If someone writes such a GUI tool, there will be one That would be a very useful utility to go along with separable 2-pass. unfortunately, like I wrote in another thread, it is not very likely the team here has the time in the near future. As usual though, I would be glad to help someone along to work on such a tool, with codec tips and pointers.
Old 8th November 2003, 05:49   #15  |  Link
CruNcher

@karl_lillevold

sorry for not answering your pm but i had alot todo lately i just finished a "Detail Preservation side by side compare" of RV9 vs Mpeg4 (XviD pre 1.0). I used the following audience file for it and changed max-bframes in the second pass to 1 in the stats file maybe you have some ideas how this can be further improved, but i think the inloop filtering makes it impossible. I also post the PSNR results their are not far away from eacht other and the XviD one with PP immitates alot the look of the inloop RV9 filtering btw,

Code:
<audience xmlns="http://ns.real.com/tools/audience.2.0">
<avgBitrate type="uint">508000</avgBitrate>
<maxBitrate type="uint">2200000</maxBitrate>
<streams>
<stream xsi:type="videoStream">
<pluginName type="string">rn-videocodec-realvideo</pluginName>
<codecName type="string">rv9</codecName>
<encoderComplexity type="uint">80</encoderComplexity>
<customPacketSize type="uint">16000</customPacketSize>
<noisyEdgeFilter type="bool">false</noisyEdgeFilter>
<calcPSNR type="bool">true</calcPSNR>
<secondPassFile type="string">MyAnalysisFile.rva</secondPassFile>
<!-- Pattern Adaptivity Only if used -->
<!-- Scaling Factor Only if used -->
</codecProperties>
<encodingType type="string">vbrBitrate</encodingType>
<quality type="uint">100</quality>
<maxStartupLatency type="double">60</maxStartupLatency>
<maxFrameRate type="double">25</maxFrameRate>
<maxKeyFrameInterval type="double">10</maxKeyFrameInterval>
<enableLossProtection type="bool">false</enableLossProtection>
</stream>
<stream xsi:type="audiostream">
<pluginName type="string">rn-audiocodec-realaudio</pluginName>
<codecName type="string">cook</codecName>
<codecFlavor type="uint">28</codecFlavor>
<streamContext type="bag">
<presentationType type="string">audio-video</presentationType>
<audioMode type="string">music</audioMode>
</streamContext>
</stream>
</streams>
</audience>

qpel+gmc+vhq4+cm+trellis+b-frames:  40.2720, 8.105.984 bytes, 00:09:07.529
New RV9:                            40.8322, 8.136.029 bytes, 00:09:0x.xxx
The Clips and Screens can be found here the top picture is the input the second is RV9 and the third is the Mpeg4 one http://cruncher.mufflastig.com/XviD/phagain/

It is about Time

Join the Revolution NOW before it is to Late !

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=168004

Last edited by CruNcher; 8th November 2003 at 05:53.
CruNcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2003, 06:20   #16  |  Link
karl_lillevold

very interesting. Thanks for re-doing the same clip. I am glad I can see improvement to RV9. I studied all your PNGs. Very nice MPEG-4 encode quality. I won't go into too many comparisons, leaving that to individual preferences, but IMHO in the snapshots you chose, some more grain is preserved in XviD, but also you get a lot of blockiness and noise artifacts in XviD, most notably in the two last snapshots.

Looking at the actual video clips, it's just blocks blocks blocks in XviD in the 2nd half (high action). I don't want to get into an argument over what's preferable, because there is no given answer to that. Too many factors vary, especially viewing conditions. I know what I prefer (see #4 full-screen on high-rez monitor, the blocks are everywhere), but have no problems understanding other preferences. That said, the attention to preserving detail vs filtering out blocking artifacts and/or leaving that to the user preference, has been heard. Every effort going forward will be focused towards this Thanks! I had been looking forward to this comparison with the RV9 2-pass improvements.
Old 8th November 2003, 06:58   #17  |  Link
CruNcher

@karl_lillevold

I totaly agree with you especialy doing those low bitrate encodes wich are only an example their only resamble a small timeline of the whole movie, wich is arround 3h long and im allready excited to see the final encode, i think with all things like Fire, Watter, Explosions and so on that still appearing in that particular movie it will getting really hard for Mpeg4 to hold continues quality in the whole Movie. Also for RV9 it will be hard i mean with the inloop filtering the blocks that will occour in those scenes are washed
away, but the same effect can also achived with PP in Mpeg4 so i think in the final instance the most accurate 2pass Code will give the best overall quality for this Movie @ this bitrate and from my tests it was impossible to exactly hit the 550kbps with RV9 where with XviD it was a snap. Im also looking forward to see that the user gets controll over the decission to use inloop filtering or not

What me also wonders is their is no great speed difference between Mpeg4 without inloop filtering or RV9 with inloop filtering so if i see it that way RV9 should be extremely faster without inloop filtering in encoding then any other Mpeg4 Codec or is it not that Cpu intensive ?

Quote:
Looking at the actual video clips, it's just blocks blocks blocks in XviD in the 2nd half (high action).
jep also a good point but in my own preference those blocking isn't really noticeable in fast moving areas if they dont last very long in this situation it's mostly some short head movings in different positions so if it looks blockie or smothie here i think isn't really important another situation i think would be fighting scenes where you are concentrated on the action thats going on moves ect like in the Matrix Movies i think their you would notice the blocking over time.

And especialy that's the case in Theatrical Trailers with fast moving
cuts and scenes where Mpeg4 without PP looks absolutely shity but RV9 with inloop filtering doesn't.

I think RV9 would really benifit from a "Adaptive Inloop filtering" where in Low Motion no inloop filtering is used but in High Motion it is i think that would be awesome for every situation that could occour in Mpeg4 this could be a kind of inteligent PP thats useing the stats file to find the Low Motion or High Motion areas.

something like this

It is about Time

Last edited by CruNcher; 8th November 2003 at 08:26.
Old 8th November 2003, 12:10   #18  |  Link
bilu

@CruNcher

Very nice comparison. Congratulations

I agree with you about adaptive inloop filtering off during low motion scenes, but I think it should be optional because you need inloop filtering all the time in anime.

Bilu
bilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2003, 20:47   #19  |  Link
Sagittaire
Testeur de codecs

@ CruNcher

Yes but PP decrease PSNR for XviD, DivX, WMV9 or VP6 why not for RV9. PP for all codec decrease details and PSNR ...

Test in preparation with RV9, WMV9, XviD Devapi4, DivX 5.1.2 and VP6 with PSNR, PSNR Overall, SSIM and VQM. RV9 obtain the best results with these tests and with a very large advantage. WMV9 without PP is better than DivX and XviD (with or without PP). VP6 is the big surprise of this test ...

100 is the maxi for EHQ not 80. Here the profil for better results in PSNR Test. Profil with one dframe maxi and with higher quant for dframe than automatic mode ...

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<audience xmlns="http://ns.real.com/tools/audience.2.0" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" 
	xsi:schemaLocation="http://ns.real.com/tools/audience.2.0 http://ns.real.com/tools/audience.2.0.xsd">
	<avgBitrate type="uint">550000</avgBitrate>
	<maxBitrate type="uint">5500000</maxBitrate>
	<streams>
		<stream xsi:type="videoStream">
			<pluginName type="string">rn-videocodec-realvideo</pluginName>
			<codecName type="string">rv9</codecName>
					<encoderComplexity type="uint">100</encoderComplexity>
					<customPacketSize type="uint">16000</customPacketSize>
					<noisyEdgeFilter type="bool">false</noisyEdgeFilter>
					<patternAdaptivity type="uint">1</patternAdaptivity>
					<scalingFactor type="uint">80</scalingFactor>
					<calcPSNR type="bool">true</calcPSNR>
				</codecProperties>
			<encodingType type="string">vbrBitrate</encodingType>
			<maxStartupLatency type="double">60</maxStartupLatency>
			<maxFrameRate type="double">25</maxFrameRate>
			<maxKeyFrameInterval type="double">10</maxKeyFrameInterval>
			<enableLossProtection type="bool">false</enableLossProtection>
		</stream>
	</streams>
</audience>

1- Ateme AVC or x264
2- VP7 or RV10 only for anime
3- XviD, DivX or WMV9

Last edited by Sagittaire; 9th November 2003 at 00:04.
Sagittaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2003, 17:45   #20  |  Link
CruNcher

@Sagittaire

sorry but with your audience file it's impossible to reach the correct 550 kbps not with <avgBitrate type="uint">550000</avgBitrate> you should know RV9 better

It is about Time