Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 18th February 2004, 02:45   #1  |  Link
werky

D2SROBA Q 1 undersized not max quality.

D2SROBA with Quantizer 1 gets undersized but not with maxim quality.

I've done divx to dvd compression and i don't understand why roba didn't do the conditional pass.

I used

Size 4400 MB
Limit % 1 <> 0.0 Q over: 40

And i ended with a file of 3.45 GB.
Or it is supposed to be read as:

Limit % 1 <> 0.0 <> Q over: 40 ???

In 3 or 4 scenes i can see the bitrate going down clearly with mosquito noise and artifacts appearing. These things aren't in the original DivX because it was done with Quality pass 100% Q 2 and also i've checked.

I've redone the file with CCE CBR and this artifacts disappeared!!!!

So what to think about d2sroba??

enjoy the movies

Last edited by werky; 18th February 2004 at 02:49.
werky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 12:15   #2  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Interesting. Would you please , both D2Sroba's and DVD2SVCD's?
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)
r6d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2004, 12:37   #3  |  Link
werky

I'm not at home now.

About the fine CBR i made, it was done in my notebook P4 with CCE 2.67.1.7. (deleted because of the trial pic)

But what's disturbing me is that i made this night another run of dvd2dvd with CBR in my AMD desktop and the artifacts appeared again.

Now i'm here with my notebook P4, and i've made one little problematic scene with CBR with half bitrate and the artifacts don't show again

I'm using CCE 2.5. The only difference that i can remember between the two machines besides AMD and P4, is that the CCE in AMD has been patched because of the Checksum error.

enjoy the movies
Old 18th February 2004, 16:19   #4  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Well, to really get to the ultimate truth you have to do both encodes caeteris paribus. I see no actual reason for Q1 not delivering the best quality over CBR, no matter how high the BR.

And please don't post about cracked/patched/unofficial versions of software, remember that is not allowed in this forum.
Do you know how much overscan and which resolution your TV has? Find out if NTSC.
Moderator: 1: one who arbitrates 2: one who presides over an assembly, meeting, or discussion
3: a substance (as graphite) used for slowing down neutrons in a nuclear reactor (Webster)

Last edited by r6d2; 18th February 2004 at 18:30.
Old 18th February 2004, 16:52   #5  |  Link
werky

This night i'll redo the test with this particular scene, and then post the results here.

About the patch, i'm sorry i didn't knew this could constitute any rule violation taking into account this is a patch refered in the DVD2SVC FAQ

Quote:
Q27: I get this strange Checksum error from CCE 2.5 when it runs...
A: Please download this patch 15KB (Thank's ALI! for hosting)

enjoy the movies

Last edited by werky; 18th February 2004 at 16:55.
Old 18th February 2004, 18:28   #6  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by werky
This night i'll redo the test with this particular scene, and then post the results here.
Great. Looking forward to it.
Quote:
About the patch [...]
Don't worry. It was more like a general warning.
Old 19th February 2004, 01:29   #7  |  Link
werky

It's not definitively a Roba problem.

It's a problem from my AMD desktop

I don't understand why this is happening. You could take a look to what I’m talking here:

http://clientes.netvisao.pt/werky/DVD_ROBA_CCE_AMD.zip
http://clientes.netvisao.pt/werky/DVD_ROBA_CCE_P4.zip

In the pics the artefacts seems not so big. They appear in motion about 12 bloks like these 3. The problem is bigger in my TV because i can see the overall image quality going down, this is not very explicit here.

I've redone this more than 8 times with different settings in CCE and also with 2.66, but always showing these things. All the tests I’ve done at P4 are ok.

The 2.66 gives me also an error in the end of a CBR encoding but it finished the file anyway. With Roba it's impossible. I really don't know if there's any advantage on 2.66 related to 2.5.

My nightmare now, is that i'm not sure if i can go with this computer for encoding normal dvd2dvd. This as divx2dvd, maybe the problem is the source, what do you think?

Is there an easy way to do only CCE encoding in my notebook and then merge everything in dvd2dvd in my desktop machine? This used to be a dilemma because the notebook as a fastest CPU but a slower hard drive. Now seeing problems with AMD desktop encoding I’m really afraid to encode anything there.

enjoy the movies

Last edited by werky; 19th February 2004 at 01:32.
Old 19th February 2004, 02:04   #8  |  Link
r6d2
Graphite mod

Quote:
Originally posted by werky
In the pics the artefacts seems not so big.
Not so big indeed. It's weird anyway that your encode looks worse on the TV than on the PC. You are encoding full res anamorphic, it should look OK, far better than on the PC!
Quote:
I really don't know if there's any advantage on 2.66 related to 2.5.
I don't know, but some users still prefer 2.5.
Quote:
This as divx2dvd, maybe the problem is the source, what do you think?
I don't think so, since one system encoded right (assuming you have the exact same setting in both systems).
Quote:
Is there an easy way to do only CCE encoding in my notebook and then merge everything in dvd2dvd in my desktop machine?
Yes. Just take all the files from one side to the other and make sure the directories and drives are called the same in both systems.
Old 19th February 2004, 02:19   #9  |  Link
werky

It looks much better on TV, that's no doubt about that. What i was saying is that on TV I can really notice the quality difference between this scene and the others.

These defects appear in most of the defined object lines. When this scene changes all comes alive again. I didn't test the P4 encoded in my tv yet.

If it's not a divx2dvd problem it means I really have a problem in this machine.

Well, thankx anyway for everything.

enjoy the movies