Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 2nd October 2011, 00:09   #9941  |  Link
naoan

Humm, you're right, it seems to be largely based on luck of the draw, I guess coreavc was just lucky on those two occasions (different launch).
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:18   #9942  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Originally Posted by naoan View Post
Ah sorry for the misunderstanding, Can we agree for debanding filter on madvr as a feature request?

Though at this point I'd consider it as a bonus as madvr is already goddamn awesome as it is.

@nevcairiel
I remember about graphstudio after you mentioned it, and for the heck of it benchmarked lavfilter against coreavc with the lossless h.264. Surprisingly (for me) Lav is actually about 14 FPS faster (98 vs 112) than coreavc, strangely though it is noticeably slower at seeking the video when you're actually playing it via media player (used mpc-hc).
Keyframe seeking enabled or not?
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:25   #9943  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Then the ideal solution should be for the madvr to have flash3kyuu_deband or other high profile debanding filter built in imho .
Would love to see that.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 00:34   #9944  |  Link
naoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nand chan View Post
Keyframe seeking enabled or not?
Does the decoder have option to disable it? My encoder setting have it specified though if that what you mean.

After some testing it looks like lav video is indeed the fastest 10 bit decoder around, reigning a whole 79FPS on one realistic test files I tried (you should really advertise this), but 8 bit video still is coreavc territory, though not by much (27 FPS faster on 1080p 24FPS video).

This is really off topic though, maybe not by much if you consider it as educative info for choosing madvr best pairing.
naoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:00   #9945  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX-UltraII View Post
And another strange thing that I just noticed:

When I choose RGB Full in the ATI ccc my computer (ATI ccc) is switching back automatically to YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format after 30 seconds or so......

EDIT: Switches back to 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4
When you switch formats, IIRC there's a dialog that will ask you if you can see it correctly and confirm, if not it will revert after a certain amount of seconds. When you switch to RGB Full, does your screen blink (resync) and you can see everything OK?

Which AVR do you have?

Ideally you'd set Full RGB output and madVR to PC levels. Your display might have relevant input options for its HDMI inputs, see if it can take in RGB Full.

A quick test would be a test like the ones in the first page of this thread. Only with RGB Full/PC levels would you not get banding with the white/black gradient, and have all levels (madVR and the rest of Windows) as they should be.

As an aside, your 5450 might just be too slow for madVR, is it working fine?

Last edited by Andy o; 2nd October 2011 at 01:03.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 01:02   #9946  |  Link
nand chan
( ≖‿≖)

Quote:
Does the decoder have option to disable it? My encoder setting have it specified though if that what you mean.

After some testing it looks like lav video is indeed the fastest 10 bit decoder around, reigning a whole 79FPS on one realistic test files I tried (you should really advertise this), but 8 bit video still is coreavc territory, though not by much (27 FPS faster on 1080p 24FPS video).

This is really off topic though, maybe not by much if you consider it as educative info for choosing madvr best pairing.
I meant in the MPC-HC settings, Tweaks -> Fast seek (on keyframe)

Does turning it on help?

And yeah, I was aware LAV Video has the fastest 10-bit decoder available, especially after the last patch which added another 2-5%.
Old 2nd October 2011, 03:54   #9947  |  Link
jmone

Noob Q for nvidia users .... how do you adjust Contrast, Brightness and the Range for Video Playback & make it apply to the various refresh rates (Win 7 64-Bit Dirver 280.26 using HDMI at 1080p) so I can do an initial basic callibration.
Thanks
Nathan

Edit, I have std 1920x1080 at 50,59,60hz but I had to add a custom res to get 23 and 24hz. The contrast and brigtness is different between the std and custom res.
Edit2: Nevcairiel has posted previously of creating a custom res for all the major freq so he can manage the range but how do you do this as I get an error saying it already exists.

Last edited by jmone; 2nd October 2011 at 05:17.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 05:48   #9948  |  Link
Andy o

Do you need the custom res? I haven't bothered at all cause I'm using ReClock and decoding everything. I'm done worrying about perfect refresh. I even do all 23-24 stuff at "24.002" or so.
Old 2nd October 2011, 06:31   #9949  |  Link
jmone

FYI, I'm also a decoder and use "VideoClock" in MC16 to keep audio and video in sync but I need to add a custom res for 24hz as my EDID from the TV is not being passed from the Receiver (long story!). The issue is the Display Range is different for a Custom Res (my 24hz) to the nvidia predefined res (my 50 / 60hz).

Anyway - I've now worked out how to add a custom resolution for ones that already were predefined (in the Create Custom Resolution Panel, open up timing, select Standard = Manual and just change the reported refresh rate slightly eg to say "50.001" etc. Don't worry these do not actually change anything and are even reported as 50hz etc once saved). I now have all my refresh rates defined as a Custom Resolution so the same video output range is being applied to all. So far it appears that "TV Levels" (16-235) is the go, as I can tweak the Brightness and Contrast video slightly in the nvidia Desktop to get the correct levels according to the AVSForum Test pattern and they are now consistent as I change refresh rates between 23/24, 50, 59/60hz. I can not tune it in with "PC Levels" (0-255) selected in madVR unless there is another setting in nvidia's panel somewhere I missed for custom res! Anyway happy boy today.
jmone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 08:50   #9950  |  Link
THX-UltraII

I ve managed to get Full RGB Pixel Format work and my JVC RS25 accepts it. It s a bug in the ATI CCC. A temp. solution I found on the AMD forum: set it to RGB Full and immediately restart PC. This way it DOES get remembered by ATI and there will be no switching back anymore.

So I found out that with this setting my blacks looked good but I had the feeling that in dark scenes it was too dark. So I looked up the manual of my JVS and switched a HDMI setting to ENHANCED instead of AUTO (STANDARD was also an option but this resulted in the same as AUTO). Is this ENHANCED setting the right to use you guys think?

Also again about the ATI CCC settings. Some say that it does not affect madVR at all but others say it does indeed and I would have to set 0-255 manually in the ATI settings and that also the WHITE option in the CCC has effect on madVR. Could someone tell me what is right? Maybe madshi?
THX-UltraII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2011, 10:17   #9951  |  Link
Andy o

The video post-processing options are what doesn't affect madVR. The desktop color options affect everything. What "white" option are you talking about?
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:04   #9952  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy o View Post
The video post-processing options are what doesn't affect madVR. The desktop color options affect everything. What "white" option are you talking about?
ATI CCC, Video, Video Settings, Brighter Whites

You think this enhanced setting is ok in my projector?
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:09   #9953  |  Link
THX-UltraII

Also just played a movie and during a 2 hour movie 10 frames where dropped, no delayed frames and no presentation glitches. Is this good?

I also see the information:
h264, 8 bit, 4:2:0 -> YV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0.
Does this mean I playback in highgest possible quality?
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:25   #9954  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
ATI CCC, Video, Video Settings, Brighter Whites

You think this enhanced setting is ok in my projector?
When I was using the 5770 I didn't find that it made a difference, but in any case, I had pretty much all but inverse telecine and vector adaptive deinterlacing disabled (cause I still used the video options for MC and the postprocessing options are horrible anyway).
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:27   #9955  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Also just played a movie and during a 2 hour movie 10 frames where dropped, no delayed frames and no presentation glitches. Is this good?

I also see the information:
h264, 8 bit, 4:2:0 -> YV12, 8 bit, 4:2:0.
Does this mean I playback in highgest possible quality?
That's the decoder's output into madVR if I'm not mistaken. That just basically is telling you that madVR is doing the RGB conversion which generally speaking is the best option.
Old 2nd October 2011, 13:38   #9956  |  Link
THX-UltraII

ok thxz

Lets move on to the next question

madVR has a Display Modes menu where I can list all display modes madVR may switch to. Wht does this mean? Is madVR able to change my reslotion to eg. 1920x1080@25 when I play PAL content and switch to 1920x1080@29,97 when playing TV content?

Also there s a box I can check that says treat 25p movies as 24p. I use ReClock and I assume this box will only work when NOT bitstreaming? Because the author of ReClock always told in the past that it is simply not possible to play 25fps material @23,976 when you send the audio digital (bitsteam).
Old 2nd October 2011, 14:18   #9957  |  Link
pirlouy
_

THX-UltraII, open your own thread please. Think about Madshi when he'll have to read all the thread...
pirlouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 06:17   #9958  |  Link
dansrfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
THX-UltraII, open your own thread please. Think about Madshi when he'll have to read all the thread...
Yeah I agree...
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:03   #9959  |  Link
BeNooL

Quote:
And another strange thing that I just noticed:

When I choose RGB Full in the ATI ccc my computer (ATI ccc) is switching back automatically to YCbCr 4:4:4 Pixel Format after 30 seconds or so......

EDIT: Switches back to 4:2:2 and not 4:4:4
Yes ATI CCC is a nightmare.

One thing that seems to help to lock Pixel format is to change resolution right after you change the Pixel format.
BeNooL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2011, 12:29   #9960  |  Link
Neeto

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNooL View Post
Yes ATI CCC is a nightmare.

One thing that seems to help to lock Pixel format is to change resolution right after you change the Pixel format.
It took me a while to find this,

1. Stop AMD external event service,
2. disable GPU scaling
3. change Pixel setting settings,
4. reboot and
5. enable service

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling