Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Capturing and Editing Video > NLE - Non Linear Editing

Old 4th May 2022, 12:22   #1  |  Link
jsj2251

editing in NLE after encoding Prores 422 HQ with ffmpeg in the Window 10.

If I use ffmpeg in window os and encode the video into the Prores 422 HQ codec,
is there a problem with editing and playback within the NLE(like Adobe PP,AE)?

I heard that there is a problem with editing and playback because it is not the official codec of Apple.
jsj2251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2022, 13:28   #2  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsj2251 View Post
I heard that there is a problem with editing and playback because it is not the official codec of Apple.
Yes, 'cause Apple devs are douchebags and even though the encoded file is perfectly fine, they artificially block it if the writing application doesn't use Apple's paid official SDK.
That being said, libavcodec devs clearly circumvented this by changing a metadata and spoofing the encoder as an Apple official encoder by writing "Apple" instead of "Libav".
This is an example:

Quote:
ffmpeg.exe -i "AVS Script.avs" -vcodec prores_ks -profile:v 3 -qscale:v 0 -vendor apl0 -color_range 1 -color_primaries 1 -color_trc 1 -colorspace 1 -c:a pcm_s24le -ar 48000 -f mov -y "\\mibctvan000\Ingest\MEDIA\temp\output.mov"

pause
As you can see, all you need is "-vendor apl0" to spoof it as Apple and get away with it.
I encode all my ProRes with -vendor apl0 so I suggest you to do the same and call it a day.
They work just fine on AVID Media Composer, Colorfront Transkoder, Adobe Premiere etc.
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2022, 20:24   #3  |  Link
kolak

I've never seen an issue (in the past) even without Apple tag, but maybe I did not work with that many ffmpeg generated files (specially recently).
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2022, 21:50   #4  |  Link
FranceBB
Broadcast Encoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolak View Post
I've never seen an issue (in the past) even without Apple tag, but maybe I did not work with that many ffmpeg generated files (specially recently).
no problem with literally any software player or NLE, it's just Apple's crap that complains if you don't put the vendor tag: QuickTime, Final Cut etc
FranceBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2022, 20:42   #5  |  Link
kolak

QT X has no issue with ffmpeg files which uses non Apple tag.

Only issue I know was old FCP, but this wasn't really issue with ProRes data itself but with MOV format and how ffmpeg use to (now it's fixed) mux video+audio (https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-...ay/006612.html).

Any non-Apple, but certified ProRes file will have other than apl0 tag as well (Adobe, Assimilate, Telestream etc,.). All use unique tags.

Last edited by kolak; 15th May 2022 at 20:47.
kolak is offline   Reply With Quote