Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation

Old 8th December 2019, 18:29   #3281  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-uk View Post
ok will take a look, its deffo more noticeable on the tv.
Not on my TV I guess...
I still watch my movies on my oldfashioned CRT TV which doesn't know how to spell "High Definition", but which has very natural colors no LCD TV I have seen so far could match.
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 20:21   #3282  |  Link
Mike-uk

have you tried OLED tv ??
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2019, 20:57   #3283  |  Link
manolito

No I haven't. But I am a big believer in sustainability, and I do not believe in replacing stuff which still works perfectly by the latest and greatest new toys.
Old 9th December 2019, 20:58   #3284  |  Link
dr_ml422

I'm getting way better results lately after taking manolito's suggestion and using FFmpeg to encode my audio. There's definitely something better going on when you use FFmpeg instead of the Aften encoder. My DVDs aren't darker anymore where they were using the Aften encoder. I know it's kind of weird being it's an audio setting, though the results definitely tell another story. I also set my output to DVD-9 to get the best possible picture without further compression. Also AVStoDVD always has DVD Menu functionality on the PC which ConvertXToDVD as of now doesn't. I'm staying with AVStoDVD right now. So if you haven't already tried using the FFmpeg for Audio together with the recommended Video settings go ahead and give it a try.
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2019, 22:47   #3285  |  Link
manolito

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_ml422 View Post
I'm getting way better results lately after taking manolito's suggestion and using FFmpeg to encode my audio. There's definitely something better going on when you use FFmpeg instead of the Aften encoder. My DVDs aren't darker anymore where they were using the Aften encoder. I know it's kind of weird being it's an audio setting, though the results definitely tell another story.
This really puzzles me...
Using FFmpeg instead of Aften for audio encoding should not affect the video conversion at all. There must be something else going on.

The only way to find out would be to make 2 different conversions of a short clip, using your previous settings with Aften first and then using your new settings with using FFmpeg for the audio conversion. Save both log files and post them here.
Old 9th December 2019, 23:05   #3286  |  Link
Mike-uk

edit title and add trim to avisynth script and do like 3000 frames to make short clips
Mike-uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:12   #3287  |  Link
dr_ml422

Yes it's puzzling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolito View Post
This really puzzles me...
Using FFmpeg instead of Aften for audio encoding should not affect the video conversion at all. There must be something else going on.

The only way to find out would be to make 2 different conversions of a short clip, using your previous settings with Aften first and then using your new settings with using FFmpeg for the audio conversion. Save both log files and post them here.
After going to DVDVOB2Mpg's site and reading his explanation of how the DVD structure, mainly VTS Folders and their Vob files contain all sorts of data, and how this can easily get corrupt, I believe it. Especially after clearly seeing the results I'm getting with FFmpeg and DVD-9. The exact file when converted to .iso which should preserve everything, won't have Menu functionality and even not play sometimes. Sometimes fast forwarding it will bring up the main video, sometimes not. Now that same .iso when I convert back to a DVD VTS Folder using either DVD-RB Pro or Shrink, will not only play, it will have menu functionality and the timing also would come back, as with the .iso it was off as well. Kept posting a 37... minute for Full Video.

Better yet you run a video or short clip using Aften as Audio and then FFmpeg with the same Video settings which would be DVD-9 output, DVD Title same as Disc Label, and run the menu preview, then the Avisynth Frame Serving Check.

You'll see how crisp that resulting DVD will be with the FFmpeg Audio settings. I'm now having to go through my whole .iso collection and running them through DVD-RB Pro or Shrink to have a workable VTS folder. Also reason for the VTS folder is when burning and wanting to add it's high-def counterpart, it will burn as data only with the .iso. With the VTS folder I will get both my DVD and it's mp4 or mkv counterpart on the same disc size permitting, and when I play that DVD I will get playback from the VTS folder. Not with the exact .iso on that same disc as it'll not be burned as DVD video but data. Now on the PC that .iso will play from the disc, but only AVStoDVD will make the .iso alone functionable with menu. Using a disc with the PC is ok but kinda defeats the purpose of converting etc...
dr_ml422 is offline   Reply With Quote