Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > Audio encoding

Old 27th December 2017, 18:50   #461  |  Link
schabau

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
I also asked Baldrick to add it to the VideoHelp software section, so it wouldn't vanish.
https://www.videohelp.com/software/H...ream-Extractor

Mind you I don't know how well it works or if it's bug free etc as I normally use the version built into MeGUI myself.
Hello,
I looked at MeGUI and the other GUI for eac3to.
But HdBrStreamExtractor is best for my needs.
Without much effort HdBrStreamExtractor shows me the streams of the respective file, which I can easily select and extract in the format I want.

MeGUI and co. can do just that and many other things. But I do not need that. These GUI's have far too many options for what I need.

I'm fine if HdBrStreamExtractor would handle the file names meaningfully. "Select Input Folder" is with HdBrStreamExtractor e.g. not possible.
schabau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 16:58   #462  |  Link
Megalith

Is this the same extractor that is bundled with MeGUI? I'm a little confused because they look so similar.
Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2018, 21:11   #463  |  Link
tebasuna51

Yes, but updated in MeGUI.
Old 21st November 2018, 16:17   #464  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed

I use this tool regualrly now to extract audio tracks from my Blu-Ray disks without having to re-rip entire movies. Great stuff! Thanks!

I just tried to extract an AC-3 stream to DTS since there is an option to do that in the file format options for each stream.

It extracted multipel WAV files as it was working which I presume were going to be somehow "muxed" into a DTS file. At the end of the extraction process it buzzed at me, all the WAV files disappeared and the error above was displayed at the end of the log:

"Surcode DTS Encoder doesn't seem to be installed"

Was this something that was supposed to be included in the program package somehow? When I Googled this program it shows me a commercial package for this encoder that is $200. Do you actually need that to create DTS files or is there an open-source version or....

...am I even doing this the best way? I thought that DTS was better quality than AC3. Is that accurate?

Thanks!

Last edited by KaraokeAmerica; 21st November 2018 at 16:26.
KaraokeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 17:04   #465  |  Link
slalom

DTS>AC3
You can't "add quality" to a lossy format

There is no open-source program to create DTS audio
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 17:42   #466  |  Link
manolito

What about dcaenc?
manolito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2018, 17:57   #467  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

If you're processing a Blu-ray disc, there is usually never a reason to convert any audio streams - with one exception, some hardware player that can't deal with DTS or something like that.
But short of that, with HD audio just keep the DTS core, or the AC3 substreams from TrueHD, or just the plain DTS/AC3 streams.

Converting any lossy codec to another lossy codec is always going to recuce the quality.
Old 21st November 2018, 19:35   #468  |  Link
KaraokeAmerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevcairiel View Post
If you're processing a Blu-ray disc, there is usually never a reason to convert any audio streams - with one exception, some hardware player that can't deal with DTS or something like that.
But short of that, with HD audio just keep the DTS core, or the AC3 substreams from TrueHD, or just the plain DTS/AC3 streams.

Converting any lossy codec to another lossy codec is always going to recuce the quality.
I admit I'm not an expert on this subject. I understood that DTS is better quality than AC3 or AAC. However, in this GUI there is an option to convert to DTS from AC3 in the format drop-down so I don't really know what it was doing there. It simply failed at the end saying I didn't have the DTS encoder program installed.

The physical Blu-Ray says it has AC3 streams on it. I extracted that without issue as AC3. I have noticed though that the file sizes between these formats are obvious.
KaraokeAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2018, 00:01   #469  |  Link
tebasuna51

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraokeAmerica View Post
I admit I'm not an expert on this subject.
Not problem, we can explain you some tips, for instance...

Quote:
I understood that DTS is better quality than AC3 or AAC.
It is not true.
At same bitrate the AAC is better than AC3 and much better than DTS. The DTS is the worse.

Of course a DTS at 1536 Kb/s is better than a AC3 640 Kb/s but a AC3 640 Kb/s is better than a DTS 768 Kb/s

Quote:
... there is an option to convert to DTS from AC3
It is a useless option, recode always reduce quality (like nevcairiel say) and to try preserve the quality you need more bitrate (more size) than original.

Also DTS is less compatible for players than AC3.

Tags
eac3to, hdbrstreamextractor