Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > New and alternative video codecs
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th February 2010, 22:28   #10941  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsid View Post
There are mplayer builds based on ffmpeg-mt too. Plain libavcodec is not multi-threaded for H.264. You can tell it to use X threads, but it won't help increase performance.
Oh, I assumed it was but only for slice-based encodes.
Anyway, let's hope they merge ffmpeg-mt soon with the main branch.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 23:01   #10942  |  Link
tetsuo55
MPC-HC Project Manager

Quote:
@Albain
I noticed your intention to update libswscale. If you or anyone else is going to attempt that, I have some suggestions:
1) Make it part of libavcodec.dll instead of mplayer.dll. That is more natural since libswscale has become part of FFmpeg. They also share code.
2) Try to migrate Haruhiko's custom multi-threaded resizing code.
3) Wait until the current major changes in ffdshow are stable. (DXVA and HD audio bitstreaming)
4) First update our libavcodec with pixfmt updates from FFmpeg. That has been on my ToDo list for a while now.
Additionally, it would be great if ffmpeg updates in the future would be more easy and natural, we should be as close to ffmpeg git as possible.
Old 26th February 2010, 23:12   #10943  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetsuo55 View Post
we should be as close to ffmpeg git as possible.
so say we all!
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 23:38   #10944  |  Link
fastplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
so say we all!
Yeah, let the Cylons do all the code grunt work!
I miss BSG... :-(

Last edited by fastplayer; 27th February 2010 at 00:43.
fastplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 01:23   #10945  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimwhite View Post
how does a resistive voltage divider create distortion? Keep it technical now, no hyperbole... I are an engineer !!
yay, we has a technician in teh house! well uLilith does 64bit float volume attenuation...this is the highest quality of volume attenuation you can possibly have(it also decodes lossy audio and applies DSP such as VST plugins in 64fp too ).

here's why audioholics ppl prefer stepped attenuators:
http://diyaudio.co.kr/wwwboard1/data/board1/compare.pdf
http://www.dact.com/html/attenuator_data_sheet.html
http://www.bursonaudio.com/hp_volume_control.htm

I know the Burson ppl quite well...when they say that stepless pots are evil, I very much trust them.

and the top of the line ALPS pots cost +$300...a cheapo analog stepless pot is junk...many cheap headphones amps have major stereo imbalance issues at low volume.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
To control the volume from the PC rather than from the amplifier when using spdif digital output, go to the 'Control Panel | Sound' applet and double click the spdif output device. Go to the Advanced tab and uncheck the two Exclusive Mode boxes.
thanks! but I'm allergic to anything newer than XP, it makes my eyes bleed for some reason.

Last edited by leeperry; 27th February 2010 at 06:26.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 04:13   #10946  |  Link
Astrophizz

If you're worried about the quality of a voltage divider (noise from tiny thermal shifts in resistors and any possible minute non-linearity caused by that) then what's going in the the rest of the circuits in a sound system should give you nightmares.
Astrophizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 16:13   #10947  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Quote:
@Albain
I noticed your intention to update libswscale. If you or anyone else is going to attempt that, I have some suggestions:
1) Make it part of libavcodec.dll instead of mplayer.dll. That is more natural since libswscale has become part of FFmpeg. They also share code.
2) Try to migrate Haruhiko's custom multi-threaded resizing code.
3) Wait until the current major changes in ffdshow are stable. (DXVA and HD audio bitstreaming)
4) First update our libavcodec with pixfmt updates from FFmpeg. That has been on my ToDo list for a while now.
Appart Haruhiko's code on multithreaded and that I isolated from the rest, this is very difficult to figure out what code has been added/modified. For example I saw MMX2 optimizations that are not in the current ffmpeg code.
I spent (and lost) a lot of time to merge the old and new sources.
I'd rather think that it is a better idea to take a fresh new start with the last code, and why not from ffmpeg directly.
But this is a big work because :
1/ several filters use mplayer library to do some resize (resize filter, subtitles filter,...) => TODO : replace mplayer by ffmpeg
2/ one defined other pixel formats : FF_CSP* for ffdshow, PIX_FMT* for ffmpeg, and IMG_FMT* for mplayer. So rework is necessary => TODO : replace the colorspace conversions where IMG_FMT* are used with PIX_FMT*
3/ Haruhiko's patch for MT resize

We miss Haruhiko ...

This was not expected and I am not ready to do this right now, more urgent stuff to do (on Media Control).
If Tal's patch is enough for now, we can carry on with it until some better rework is done on resize libraries.

From my point of view HD audio is tabilized for now, just some special stuff is needed for xonar users.

About DXVA : alpha blending to be done
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 17:33   #10948  |  Link
dann23

where is Haruhiko???
dann23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 18:54   #10949  |  Link
albain
Media Control author

Also I realized that libswscale (ffmpeg) is not compatible with mingw64 yet, so this is a nogo for now
albain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 19:09   #10950  |  Link
Maccara

Quote:
Originally Posted by albain View Post
Also I realized that libswscale (ffmpeg) is not compatible with mingw64 yet, so this is a nogo for now
"hack" which makes it compilable:
Code:
diff --git a/swscale_template.c b/swscale_template.c
index bbd9a1f..45e0ca5 100644
--- a/swscale_template.c
+++ b/swscale_template.c
@@ -2497,7 +2497,7 @@ static inline void RENAME(hcscale_fast)(SwsContext *c, int16_t *dst,
 /* GCC 3.3 makes MPlayer crash on IA-32 machines when using "g" operand here,
 which is needed to support GCC 4.0. */
 #if ARCH_X86_64 && AV_GCC_VERSION_AT_LEAST(3,4)
-            :: "m" (src1), "m" (dst), "g" (dstWidth), "m" (xInc_shr16), "m" (xInc_mask),
+            :: "m" (src1), "m" (dst), "g" ((x86_reg)dstWidth), "m" (xInc_shr16), "m" (xInc_mask),
 #else
             :: "m" (src1), "m" (dst), "m" (dstWidth), "m" (xInc_shr16), "m" (xInc_mask),
 #endif
This was posted to ffmpeg devel (don't remember by who) and dismissed promptly (don't care by who). Haven't seen anything else regarding this since, but works for me, so I have no idea why it was not an acceptable patch.

(probably because it will cause problems with some compilers, but works ok with mingw64 4.4.3, though, so I don't give a damn)

I'm not at all familiar with the swscale code, so I'm not sure if that is a completely valid patch, but you might want to evaluate it and try to push it forward if it seems ok. Also, I have no idea if there are other problems still.

Last edited by Maccara; 28th February 2010 at 19:12.
Maccara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 19:40   #10951  |  Link
DeathTheSheep
<The VFW Sheep of Death>

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal.aloni View Post
if you want negative video delay, you can just apply positive audio delay.

negative delay is impossible when it comes to playback of live broadcast (DVB-T playback for example).
I was talking about audio delay. I realize negative video delay would be awkward. The audio delay settings cannot accept negative values.
Old 28th February 2010, 21:43   #10952  |  Link
oddball

I have a big problem with all the latest SVN builds. I have an MKV which keeps going out of sync with the audio using all the latest SVN's. I reinstalled an icl11 build and it plays fine. But everything icl10 or generic available on the downloads page goes out of sync.

The build I have that works and I cannot remember where I downloaded it from is ffdshow_rev3195_20100110_sse_icl11.exe

Everything since does not playback the video in sync with the audio correctly on this particular file. I can't upload a clip of it because I can't figure out how to save a small section of a 6-7GB MKV file (It's 1080P).

Any ideas how to proceed?

EDIT: I just installed build 3200 icl10 and that works fine. But builds 3274 and 3291 have the audio sync issue.

Last edited by oddball; 28th February 2010 at 22:01.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 22:04   #10953  |  Link
Andy o

3292 now lets me use bluray subs with madVR and overlay! Great work (has still a few bugs though). But resizing is giving me a green picture with EVR, EVR-CP, madVR, and overlay (didn't test with others).

Regarding sub bugs, I have crashes or odd sub colors with stripped movie-only bluray structures (in ISO), but it doesn't seem to happen with straight bluray discs (and I assume rips too). With those though, sometimes the subs flicker when appearing/disappearing (specifically, happens with The Box US version). With bluray rips to mkv, the subs don't show sometimes after seeking. Disabling/enabling subs in ffdshow seems to fix it.

Also, this seems to happen with MPC-HC's sub renderer as well, sometimes there are two subs onscreen, one for instance for the background and the other for the main dialogue, with independent timings. In this case, only one would show and the second one will only appear when the first one is out. The commercial bluray players show both appearing and disappearing at different times, overlapping.

EDIT: went back to 3287 and the resize green picture problem is gone, it seems to be introduced with 3292. Anyone else having it (or not)?

Last edited by Andy o; 28th February 2010 at 22:40.
Andy o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 22:31   #10954  |  Link
oddball

This may help indicate the problem with the audios sync issue (Or maybe not). BTW it's DTS audio not AC3.

http://pastebin.org/99104

EDIT: I've found out where the issue lies. Deblocking. If I tick 'skip deblocking always' the audio stays in sync!

Last edited by oddball; 28th February 2010 at 22:36.
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 22:34   #10955  |  Link
Andy o

by the way, I noticed bluray subs have some semi-transparency that they don't have in the commercial players. Is there a way to disable this semi transparency for bluray?
Old 28th February 2010, 22:57   #10956  |  Link
ikarad

I have the same crash with blu ray subtitle with rgb32 or yuy2 with rev 3292 as with 3287 and I don't use dxva.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...41&atid=867360

Last edited by ikarad; 28th February 2010 at 23:05.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 23:08   #10957  |  Link
clsid

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
EDIT: I've found out where the issue lies. Deblocking. If I tick 'skip deblocking always' the audio stays in sync!
The problem is not with deblocking. You computer is obviously just too slow to decode with deblocking enabled.

If you have a multi-core CPU, then use ffmpeg-mt instead of libavcodec for H.264. That should help improve decoding performance.
Old 28th February 2010, 23:50   #10958  |  Link
Andy o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
I have the same crash with blu ray subtitle with rgb32 or yuy2 with rev 3292 as with 3287 and I don't use dxva.
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index...41&atid=867360
What player are you using? If MPC-HC, have you tried disabling the MPC-HC sub renderer? (uncheck auto load subtitles).
Old 1st March 2010, 05:24   #10959  |  Link
FredThompson

3291 32bit does not properly decode mpeg2 4:2:2 with libmpeg2. Chroma looks like max green, like a cheap night vision scope.
Old 1st March 2010, 07:47   #10960  |  Link
tal.aloni

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathTheSheep View Post
I was talking about audio delay. I realize negative video delay would be awkward. The audio delay settings cannot accept negative values.
negative audio delay = positive video delay

so if you want -80 ms delay to the audio, set +80 ms delay for the video.
tal.aloni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ffdshow, ffdshow tryouts, ffdshow-mt, ffplay, icl