Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-2 Encoding

Old 19th November 2001, 21:01   #1  |  Link
spyder
Matroska Developer

How fast is TMPG on your computer?

I was just curious as to about how long it takes for TMPG to encode a VCD, SVCD, or DVD clip. It currently takes me ~7 hrs. per movie on my Athlon 600. I would like to know what speeds you get from an Athlon XP or P4. I am going to get a Athlon XP 1800+(maybe 1900+) in the next month or so and I want to know about what speed I could expect.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2001, 19:42   #2  |  Link
lhorwinkle

The time needed to convert depends on many things.

1. Obviously, the processor being used.

2. What filters are in use. With NO filters, TMPGEnc can move along quickly, even on my P3/800. But with noise reduction and edge enhancement turned on, it takes me about 15 hours to convert a 45 minute TV show to MPEG-1/VCD format.

3. Drive speed. When converting gigabyte sized AVI files, the read time is significant (but not as significant as the above).
Old 24th November 2001, 16:04   #3  |  Link
ppera2

Right, speed depends from many factors.

I just want to point to one thing by TMPGEnc.

Resize causes big slowdown. It can't be turned off as by some programs by some switch. To avoid it, you must ensure that output size & picture format be same as input one. It is by settings, video arrange methode.

TMPGEnc is slow, but produces good quality. Encoding MPEG1 in 352x288 is much slower than DivX encoding in 2-3 times bigger res.

If no resize, I can achieve about 20-22 fps when encode VCD on Athlon@1430 . DivX would make same with over 40 fps.

Last edited by ppera2; 24th November 2001 at 16:07.
ppera2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2001, 03:40   #4  |  Link
Edge

Re: How fast is TMPG on your computer?

Quote:
Originally posted by spyder
I was just curious as to about how long it takes for TMPG to encode a VCD, SVCD, or DVD clip. It currently takes me ~7 hrs. per movie on my Athlon 600. I would like to know what speeds you get from an Athlon XP or P4. I am going to get a Athlon XP 1800+(maybe 1900+) in the next month or so and I want to know about what speed I could expect.
It takes me about 3.5 hours to encode (MPEG1) 'Willow' to regular NTSC VCD format on a dual processor Pentium III 800 MHz system. If you want the biggest speed increase, try to get a dual processor system (Intel appears to be trying to steer 'dual processor' systems towards high-end workstations and/or servers, so your best bet, unless you want to go with the older Pentium III, is to get an AMD dual processor ready motherboard from Tyan, for example).. you'll notice the best performance increase out of that kind of system (especially if you go single-processor initially, then buy the second processor later as finances allow, for example).

Just make sure you're running Windows XP or 2000. =)
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2001, 14:24   #5  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Agreed ! Nice that TMPEG supports SMP :

SMP system dual PIII 800 , 1 GB RAM, Epox DV3A mobo, Win2k Pro SP2 :

120 mins AVI movie ( DivX ) to S-VCD in 2 Pass VBR in 10 hours both passes . As mentioned its an AVI already, so there is no frameserver needed, but i still have to do resizing in TMPEG of course.

BTW i ticked all boxes in the according TMPEG CPU config menu and assigned 100 MB for external threads ....
Old 4th December 2001, 21:29   #6  |  Link
fjmf

I have a 1 ghz tbird, 256 meg pc133, gigabyte 7zx

It takes me about 12-13 hours for 2 pass, with a 120 min movie
fjmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2001, 04:54   #7  |  Link
Dragstrip Riot

How fast? faster than realtime. I dont know why!

I encoded From Hell TS divx to VCD using tmpgenc 2.01 using all defaults on the stock VCD template, and one hour of video finished in about 45 minutes.

Machine: Dual Athlon MP 1200MHz, 2GB of DDR RAM, Windows XP Pro, Divx 4.11. I checked all the SMP boxes in the CPU setup.

Has anyone noticed if using 8-bit DC Component Precision is faster than the recommended 10-bit, all other things being equal?

It would make sense to me that the program would be faster dealing with 8-bit numbers rather than 10-bit numbers, as computers are just built to work with 8-bit bytes -- actually with 32-bit words. but I don't know if that is the real effect of that setting.

The 8-bit DC looks okay viewing the output on the computer, but I could be convinced to chalk that up to the divx source. I was taken aback by bandwidth-shortage distortion in some parts, only to discover it was present in the source file. >SIGH<

More to come later, I have another encode project lined up and I plan to test the effect DC Component Precision on encoding time.

But also, to tie in with what PPERA2 posted, I did not resize the frame. I clipped the black borders off the top and bottom and used ARRANGE to re-center it (providing black borders, but without the watermark and perhaps without encoding them in the stream[?])

Last edited by Dragstrip Riot; 13th December 2001 at 04:58.
Dragstrip Riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2001, 15:56   #8  |  Link
ChristianHJW

Re: How fast? faster than realtime. I dont know why!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dragstrip Riot Machine: Dual Athlon MP 1200MHz, 2GB of DDR RAM, Windows XP Pro, Divx 4.11. I checked all the SMP boxes in the CPU setup.
Hmmmmm ..... Dual Athlon MP 1200 MHz !!!!!! Wow !!!

I am starting to get the impression i have done a mistake when going for a SMP board with FCPGA sockets ( EPOX DV3A, good board BTW ). Intel say PIII stops at 1.15 GHZ, and Tualatin cant do SMP. I just hope they change their mind once P IV is at 3 GHz and doesnt have to fear P III as competitor any longer, maybe they launch a PIII 1.5 GHz then ..... or Cyrix does it, their market is maybe only selling upgrade kits for old Intel/AMD boards .....

Just wondering where AMD will stop with current Athlon XP design ? 2.5 GHz ? Nice to think about what a dual XP 2500 machine could do .....
Old 16th December 2001, 22:53   #9  |  Link
disturbed1

P4 1500, 768 PC800 RDRAM. Win 2kPro

DVD 2 VCD is RT. All default settings, motion search is High Quality slow.
90 min. movie takes 90 min.

DVD 2 SVCD is ~.5 RT. 480x480 MVBR 2150 kbit/s
90 min. movie takes ~3 hours.

TMPG runs almost as fast as CCE on my comp.

Keep in mind that TMPG is optimized for SSE2 instructions, only the P4 has this. AMD XP's only include SSE. LSX is optimized for the P4 also.

With TMPG beta 12, DVD 2 VCD is .5 RT.

All encodes are NTSC film DVDs via .d2v files.
disturbed1 is offline   Reply With Quote