Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > (HD) DVD, Blu-ray & (S)VCD > One click suites for DVD backup and DVD creation
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd September 2007, 17:11   #41  |  Link
wg

Would it be possible in the next version to add a title to the menu, for example 'Comedy - Disc 1'.

Thanks In Advance.
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 13:16   #42  |  Link
MR Nice

Hi, Alvarez, Q? can you add an audio sound track to your background image on the root menu?
MR Nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:27   #43  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by wg View Post
Would it be possible in the next version to add a title to the menu, for example 'Comedy - Disc 1'.
Okay, I give up and implement this (I didn't want to do it, but this is like the fifth request, so I'll put it in.)

However, I have currently blown up lots of things in the code (and I'm quite busy with my real job as well nowadays), therefore a new version isn't likely to come out in the next 1-2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR Nice View Post
Hi, Alvarez, Q? can you add an audio sound track to your background image on the root menu?
No, it's not possible. And I really wouldn't like to do it

Have a nice day,
Old 23rd September 2007, 18:43   #44  |  Link
MR Nice

Why is it not possible when you can do this with nero?
Old 23rd September 2007, 20:37   #45  |  Link
wg

Good luck with your real job alvarez, & take your time with the new version, we are just pleased you have any time at all to spend on this project, it is much appreciated.

Cheers!
wg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2007, 23:37   #46  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
Why is it not possible when you can do this with nero?
Because I wouldn't like to implement it. For me, developing DVDforger is programming for fun in my free time, not a competition against any commercial product.

Have a nice day,
Old 24th September 2007, 03:12   #47  |  Link
MR Nice

Hi, "not a competition against any commercial product" who said anything about competition? not me I just thought it would be nice to have an audio wav added to the root menu that's all didnt mean to upset you. Have a nice evening
Old 24th September 2007, 07:14   #48  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
Hi, "not a competition against any commercial product" who said anything about competition? not me I just thought it would be nice to have an audio wav added to the root menu that's all didnt mean to upset you. Have a nice evening
I wasn't upset, I just explained that your argument ('can be done in Nero') wasn't convincing Sorry if it seemed harsh. Although animation and sound in menus may be a nice feature, I have another plans which I find more useful and more fun programming.

Have a nice day,
Old 24th September 2007, 09:00   #49  |  Link
MR Nice

"I just explained that your argument" There was no argument don't you mean my suggestion you didn't like? Like you said in another post about your program any suggestions on how to improve the progam would be nice did you or did you not say this? please don't get upset with me I've done nothing wrong other than try to add an idea to your program. Have a good day
Old 24th September 2007, 10:26   #50  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
"I just explained that your argument" There was no argument don't you mean my suggestion you didn't like? Like you said in another post about your program any suggestions on how to improve the progam would be nice did you or did you not say this? please don't get upset with me I've done nothing wrong other than try to add an idea to your program. Have a good day
I really didn't mean any harm - sorry if it turned out like that. I really appreciate all suggestions, but - because of my lack of time and/or notion - not all of them will turn into a feature, even if it's present in other applications. However, many features have been and will be added to DVDforger because people asked for it, so if you have other ideas, please share them

Have a nice day,
Old 24th September 2007, 11:03   #51  |  Link
MR Nice

Hi, There is no harm done, I think it's better if other people give there ideas or suggestions on how to improve your program. You didn't like the idea I suggested so I don't think you will like any of my other ideas good luck with the program. I am always looking for better way to convert nstc to pal without the jerky picture from 23fps, 29fps to 25fps and also the less lose of quilty in the picture the better. Take care peace
Old 25th September 2007, 08:46   #52  |  Link
Adub
Fighting spam with a fish

This looks like a pretty nice program. I will have to run some tests, but thank you very much for taking the time to code it. It looks like a nice replacement for DVDPlannerBasic
Old 27th September 2007, 08:23   #53  |  Link
Sir Didymus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin7777
...It looks like a nice replacement for DVDPlannerBasic

AFAIK DVDforger is an xxx2dvd converter, whose authoring engine is based on DVD Author. DVDPlanner by Zeul was a completely new (and original) authoring package. It's a shame this last project has been abandoned. The purpose and the content of the two programs is completely different.

Cheers,
SD
Sir Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 09:32   #54  |  Link
nonoitall
I'm a newb, NOT a noob

This is definitely my favorite all-in-one DVD authoring app! Now, for the nitpicks! (These aren't complaints, but you're homepage does ask for feedback, so here are my thoughts.) :P

Any chance of seeing some multi-threading for us multi-core CPU users? It wouldn't have to be anything too fancy - maybe just have a list of tasks like you have now and then have how ever many threads as there are CPUs taking the next task off the top of the list. (If detecting the number of CPUs is complicated you could even have the user just manually enter in the desired number of threads.) Arranging the list so that the most time-consuming tasks are at the top would probably yield the best efficiency. Then, once all the 'independent' tasks (video encoding, audio encoding, subtitle rendering, etc.) are done, the authoring could be done.

My second and final request: Would it be possible to add 'label' support in the menu editor? (A non-functional text field, as opposed to functional menu items.) I usually don't need a flashy menu, but even so I still have to separately create a bitmap so that I can have a plain text title in the menu. (For example, displaying the title of a TV series above the selectable episodes.)

Anyway, that's the only two improvements I could really come up with. I know you have a life and will understand completely if you never get around to including these features. In any event, this is a fantastic project and I appreciate your hard work!

EDIT: Oops! Didn't realize wg had already asked for that menu feature. Sorry! I second his request.

Last edited by nonoitall; 14th October 2007 at 09:45.
nonoitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2007, 14:06   #55  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoitall View Post
Any chance of seeing some multi-threading for us multi-core CPU users?
There definitely is a chance, but it's at the absolute bottom of the priority list. So maybe around the end of next year

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonoitall View Post
My second and final request: Would it be possible to add 'label' support in the menu editor?
Okay, now I stop counting how many times it was asked, and really start working on it

Have a nice day,
Old 17th October 2007, 16:43   #56  |  Link
marioval

Ok now that i am a registered user and have waited the 5 days I can post here instead of videohelp.com

Is there a known issue with the settings in the configuration settings window ? First I noticed that When I set the chapters in the config window I get no chapters. However if I set chapters in the settings for each title individually, I do get chapters. That was already discussed before. Now I notice that If I change the colors for the menu items in the config window, my menu items do not show up at all. On my pc I have to blindly move the mouse around and it will highlight when I find it. On the TV, If I use the up/down arrow I can select the items but they are basically invisible. But, if I set the colors in the settings for each individual titles setting window, my menus show up fine.
marioval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2007, 12:33   #57  |  Link
rendez2k

Any new version in the works - always like something new to play with
rendez2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2007, 16:32   #58  |  Link
alvarez

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by rendez2k View Post
Any new version in the works - always like something new to play with
Well, it's in the works, but I have just recently blown up the whole thing I've decided to reengineer lots of parts of the source code because it became really ugly and therefore hard to maintain (result of the trial-and-error development process). So, the next version will be delayed, and it won't have too much new features either, but from the inside (which nobody really cares about except me) it will be much nicer

:alvarez:
Old 25th October 2007, 19:31   #59  |  Link
marioval

It seems that no matter which profile I choose for encoding with HCenc, fast normal or best, it will do a 2 pass encode. How can I just do a 1 pass encode? Thanks
marioval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2007, 13:36   #60  |  Link
alvarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioval View Post
It seems that no matter which profile I choose for encoding with HCenc, fast normal or best, it will do a 2 pass encode. How can I just do a 1 pass encode? Thanks
DVDforger provides user interface only for the most basic encoder settings. However, in the textbox 'Additional options to be set in HC.ini', you can set any parameter that HCenc accepts in its configuration file. Please see the *CQ parameter in the documentation of HCenc (tools\HC\misc\HC.pdf) to see how you can switch 1-pass encoding on (it's a bit tricky, that's why it's not offered on the dialog).

(By the way, have you received my e-mail about the menu problem?)