Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 24th November 2016, 20:42   #40701  |  Link
seiyafan

For 720 to 2160, which one is usually higher in quality, double then upscale or quadruple then downscale?
seiyafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 21:09   #40702  |  Link
makakam

I mostly watch 1080p sources on my benq w1070 which is projecting onto a 92" screen. My watching distance is about 2,30m and I appreciate what NGU does with chroma, it really makes a difference. I own a gtx960 and set NGU to high. Average rendering time is about 37ms, it's pretty high but as long as I don't get dropped frames I'm cool with it.
makakam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 21:45   #40703  |  Link
Anima123

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiyafan View Post
For 720 to 2160, which one is usually higher in quality, double then upscale or quadruple then downscale?
Madshi has mentioned earlier, NGU will support quadruple in one step instead of iterating as it do now.
Anima123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 23:34   #40704  |  Link
kasper93
MPC-HC Developer

Have you noticed high CPU usage when using NGU? https://i.imgbox.com/CNYlkAXK.png I have i7 5820K so it is ~88% of thread power so not much left here. Correct me, but most of workload should be GPU so is this some busy waiting? Or some memory copy back and forth? Probably not much can be done here but I figured I will ask
kasper93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 23:56   #40705  |  Link
huhn

IVTC black boarder detection is running on the CPU are you using any of these?
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 00:48   #40706  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by markanini View Post
Nice to hear from someone that understands electronics.
There's been plenty of people who have weighed in with similar information over the previous pages, myself one of them. I wish people would understand how a thread works, getting a bit of this recently..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 01:00   #40707  |  Link
Oguignant

Does anyone recommend me best settings for 2k to 4k upscaling of REMUX mkv files?
Old 25th November 2016, 01:04   #40708  |  Link
Georgel
Visual Novel Dev.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlouy View Post
This one thread for everything is boring to read, that's why there are some aggressive comments. It's difficult to find useful information/question between repetitive old questions from new/less advanced people or specific content from very advanced users.

I find this harder to read for everyone including Madshi, but he still prefers this so bad luck for guys like me.
I think I made a made a post with interesting (I think) stats which can allows users to verify if normal behavior or not. Already 10 pages away. Won't do this again.
I was also curious in this information!

I feel sorry if I'm not adding anything useful.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROKUGAN View Post
I have exactly that setup GTX 1080 + madVR + mpcHC/mpcBE + SVP4 and is working flawlessly
Both on 32&64 bits setups btw.
Well, it's good to hear that for someone it actually works well. Mine crashes at random times and especially on seeking the file, but the crashes are still there after uninstalling it, only DDU - ing the driver then reinstalling fixes it. Then again, I have a feeling that being a software dev, I might have a different set of libraries installed and such that could cause this. Impossible to track what exactly does it, I tried to study the crash logs but nothing very relevant came out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryrynz View Post
There's been plenty of people who have weighed in with similar information over the previous pages, myself one of them. I wish people would understand how a thread works, getting a bit of this recently..

Sorry for this...

Coil whine is something really scary when you hear it and I would want to prolong the useful life of anything I have as much as I can. I did the same for my DAPs even though I sell every one of them after an year and a half or so, it's just the spirit to ind every thing I own.

I feel like I am to blame for opening my mouth here..............
Georgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:01   #40709  |  Link
har3inger

Coil whine is completely harmless to GPUs. Sometimes, once your GPU ages enough, the coil whine will go away by itself. I wouldn't worry about it, although I understand how annoying it is to deal with.

In any case, if coil whine exists, it will generally happen under a good number of other high load situations. It's not really something that's fixable with software changes. You could try for an RMA?
har3inger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 06:01   #40710  |  Link
Asmodian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anima123 View Post
Madshi has mentioned earlier, NGU will support quadruple in one step instead of iterating as it do now.
At the same time Madshi mentioned it will triple directly too, which would be ideal for 720p on 2160p.
Old 25th November 2016, 06:51   #40711  |  Link
austonrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post

Some screenshots would be nice. With SR4, if you don't mind, so I can see if SR really handles this better than NGU.

But I do agree, if you have sources with high compression artifacts, NGU will try to interpret the artifacts as important image detail. The current NGU version really needs high quality sources to shine.
Here are 4 samples. I've found adding grain to SD content really helps remove the proccessed look. I'm using level 2 in these images.

I'm also NOT using smoothen edges for SD content it is not required. It is required for HD...

Which one looks best to you? I should mention I'm getting a much better render performance with ngu low versus nnedi3 128 with SR3

thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/8MY6H
austonrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 07:56   #40712  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:
Originally Posted by austonrush View Post
Here are 4 samples.
@640x352 in JPEG format..
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 08:41   #40713  |  Link
burfadel

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
madVR v0.90.20 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* added workaround for weird crash with latest AMD beta drivers
Is that workaround still present? madVR was working fine on my old R9-280X, but for the RX 480 it doesn't like DirectX 11 presentation mode etc. This is running latest insider build plus Crimson 16.11.4. I'm wondering whether the 'workaround' is actually causing issues with the latest card series on the latest insider Windows if the underlying issue has been rectified.
burfadel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:08   #40714  |  Link
huhn

try an older version that doesn't have the workaround.
huhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 11:26   #40715  |  Link
RyuzakiL

Does Madshi had his own recommended settings for MadVR? Because I know there are others like me who doesn't want to be a scientist just to try all the settings and combinations possible for MadVR, and would just like to have an optimized, author/creator recommended settings.

If anyone of you happens to spot Madshi's own recommended settings, then I'm all ears and eyes. Guess I'm just getting tired of trying all the possibilities and just want to spend that testing time into quality time with my collection of Anime's and Movies.
RyuzakiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 12:01   #40716  |  Link
pose

RyuzakiL, read Warner306's guide, it has a section with solid recommended settings for low to high end video cards.
pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 12:22   #40717  |  Link
Uoppi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyuzakiL View Post
Does Madshi had his own recommended settings for MadVR? Because I know there are others like me who doesn't want to be a scientist just to try all the settings and combinations possible for MadVR, and would just like to have an optimized, author/creator recommended settings.

If anyone of you happens to spot Madshi's own recommended settings, then I'm all ears and eyes. Guess I'm just getting tired of trying all the possibilities and just want to spend that testing time into quality time with my collection of Anime's and Movies.
I know the feeling; I have simply too little time for any meaningful zooming-in-and-comparing-screenshots. But it's hard to give recommendations when a lot is up to preference.

Here are some reasonable starting points partly based on recent posts by madshi and others, according to which I've set up my madvr:

1. Use NGU low/med/high (depending on your system's performance) for luma doubling. Choma doubling not as "necessary".
2. For luma upscaler, pick Jinc AR if you have the horsepower or Catmull-Rom 75 AR for a less taxing option.
3. Set chroma upscaling to NGU (I can't see a difference in normal viewing between low/med/high) or Catmull-Rom 75 AR.
4. Downscaling: Bicubic 150 AR. When downscaling straight without upscaling/doubling first (i.e. native 4K to 1080p screen), you might want to try SSIM 1D or 2D.
4. For dithering, Error Diffusion 2 or ordered dithering (I can see no difference between these in normal viewing)
5. For SD content, use option "add grain", for HD (I'd say 720p and up) use "soften edges". Both either at strength 1 or 2.
6. If you have the horsepower and want some (sometimes placebo) improvement, feel free to crank up the settings but watch the temps!

Last edited by Uoppi; 25th November 2016 at 12:24.
Uoppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 13:28   #40718  |  Link
Ver Greeneyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uoppi View Post
2. For luma upscaler, pick Jinc AR if you have the horsepower
Just remember that this will also be the upscaler used for chroma doubling if you're only doubling luma, so if you turned off chroma doubling for performance reasons you might want to pick a less demanding image upscaler to go along with it.
Ver Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 14:53   #40719  |  Link
ajp_anton

Since I pretty much always upscale, I thought it always said ">" for the algorithm in the OSD. So now I just realized that > is upscaling and < is downscaling. Isn't that kind of backwards? A > looks like it becomes smaller (because we read left to right) and < becomes bigger.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2016, 15:42   #40720  |  Link
Backflash

So after messing around for a week this is the result on 1440p(I miss my 1080p monitor for lowres content purposes).
r9 390 nitro/i72600 win10 x64

http://imgur.com/efwtjWw
640x480 839kbsp

debandingl med/high no anti ringing
sharpen edges 1.0, thin edges 1.0, anti bloat 100, anti-ringing
crhoma NGU med, superes 1
SSIM 1D 100/AR/LL/AB100
Doubling luma always x2 super sampling NGU med
image upscaling Lanczos 3/AR/SL
image refiniment SR2 AR(no LL)

any advice on improvement?
no NNDI3 though I hate toasting my hardware

Last edited by Backflash; 25th November 2016 at 15:45.
Backflash is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling