Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players
Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th April 2016, 23:19   #37581  |  Link
*Touche*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufkrawall View Post
SuperRes 3 is more expensive than 1, thus I don't see the reason to achieve it that way.

super-xbr 100 bloats dark lines way more than NNEDI3 and SuperRes doesn't make them really equal in that matter. With my images, super-xbr A-B 25 + SR comes quite closer to NNEDI3 than super-xbr 100 + SR without A-B.
Agreed. Super-xbr AB25 + SuperRes 1 looks the best and closest to NNEDI3 to me.
*Touche* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 00:20   #37582  |  Link
x7007

Where do I enable the Anti bloating filter and Anti-Ringing filter, in Image Enhancements ? or Upscaling refinement , what is the different between the two. I have upscaling refinement SuperRes 1 all other unselected, Refine the image only once after upscaling is complete. I have no idea what to choose else or why.

Do I enable Super-Rez and Anti-rining in Chroma Uspcaling too ? there are so many places to enable it.
x7007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 00:20   #37583  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Touche* View Post
Agreed. Super-xbr AB25 + SuperRes 1 looks the best and closest to NNEDI3 to me.
Can you produce test images? I have hard time noticing any difference when super-xbr or NNEDI3 is combined with SuperRes.
Warner306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 00:46   #37584  |  Link
Warner306

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Where do I enable the Anti bloating filter and Anti-Ringing filter, in Image Enhancements ? or Upscaling refinement , what is the different between the two. I have upscaling refinement SuperRes 1 all other unselected, Refine the image only once after upscaling is complete. I have no idea what to choose else or why.

Do I enable Super-Rez and Anti-rining in Chroma Uspcaling too ? there are so many places to enable it.
Try the guide in my signature.
Old 26th April 2016, 08:10   #37585  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warner306 View Post
Try the guide in my signature.
Hi , thanks, but it still messy for me to understand.

I watch normally 1080p

I use Super-Xbr which suppose to be the right one or NEDI is better ?
Should I enable anything in image enhancements if I watch 1080p or is it for 720p with downscaling things ?
In chroma upscaling do I need to enable SuperRes filter there too ? default is 3. currently SuperRes enabled + AA.

I use Downscaling - Lanczos , should I use SSIM ? AA + SL enabled on Relaxed.

Image doubling not enabled cause I still have no idea what or how it works.

Image upscaling - Jinc AA , should I enable sigmoidal light ?

Upscaling refinement is enabled all the time for 1080p and 720p ? currently SuperRes enabled , no LL - AB - AR .
Refine the image only once after upscaling is complete.

What should I change from here or between, should I follow up on those terms instead reading and won't understand why. cause I just want to see movies now and not mess around with it and get worse quality and won't know why or what settings. my english is not my 1st language. hebrew is

thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 09:41   #37586  |  Link
QBhd
QB the Slayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by x7007 View Post
Hi , thanks, but it still messy for me to understand.

I watch normally 1080p

I use Super-Xbr which suppose to be the right one or NEDI is better ?
Should I enable anything in image enhancements if I watch 1080p or is it for 720p with downscaling things ?
In chroma upscaling do I need to enable SuperRes filter there too ? default is 3. currently SuperRes enabled + AA.

I use Downscaling - Lanczos , should I use SSIM ? AA + SL enabled on Relaxed.

Image doubling not enabled cause I still have no idea what or how it works.

Image upscaling - Jinc AA , should I enable sigmoidal light ?

Upscaling refinement is enabled all the time for 1080p and 720p ? currently SuperRes enabled , no LL - AB - AR .
Refine the image only once after upscaling is complete.

What should I change from here or between, should I follow up on those terms instead reading and won't understand why. cause I just want to see movies now and not mess around with it and get worse quality and won't know why or what settings. my english is not my 1st language. hebrew is

thanks
There isn't a one size fits all, or else there would be no options. Try one thing at a time, watch something and if it looks better keep using it. If that setting made things look worse, stop using it... It's not rocket science.

QB
Old 26th April 2016, 12:11   #37587  |  Link
x7007

Quote:
Originally Posted by QBhd View Post
There isn't a one size fits all, or else there would be no options. Try one thing at a time, watch something and if it looks better keep using it. If that setting made things look worse, stop using it... It's not rocket science.

QB
ye, but it's time without science. and time as we know is a lot of money or fun sometimes.
Old 26th April 2016, 12:56   #37588  |  Link
nussman

Just use the default settings if you are not willing to spend some time in reading and testing.
There is no "best" setting.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 17:43   #37589  |  Link
Warner306

If you don't want to spend time learning this software, you will have difficulty understanding if you are improving the image or not. It is important to at least have a working definition of each setting so you know what to look for when it's enabled.
Old 26th April 2016, 18:46   #37590  |  Link
Dodgexander

Anyone using MadVR for live TV?

I am using it with a DVB-T2 tuner in the UK with MPC-HC and channels broadcast both in h264 and mpeg2 streams, no matter what I get dropped frames, albeit very very occasionally. I have an Ivy Bridge i5 with HD4000 graphics and have set image up-scaling/downscaling to DXVA and chroma up-scaling to Bilinear but it still drops frames.

I wondered if anyone else has had this problem, is it just Live TV? I have tried so many times to eliminate the problem, windowed mode, dx11 mode, exclusive mode etc.
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 19:01   #37591  |  Link
ikarad

How adjust hdr peak luminance option in madvr?
must I select the same nits like my display or select ramdomly or other?
I have an ips 8bit display with contrast equal to 800 and 120cd.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 20:17   #37592  |  Link
AngelGraves13

I wonder if there's a way to convert SDR video to HDR and expand it's dynamic range from 100 nits to about 300 nits, which is what some high end monitors can do. It might bring out the highlights more. I'll wait for madshi's input on the matter.
AngelGraves13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 20:19   #37593  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
How adjust hdr peak luminance option in madvr?
must I select the same nits like my display or select ramdomly or other?
I have an ips 8bit display with contrast equal to 800 and 120cd.
Sounds like your monitor is calibrated for 120 nits, since 1 nt = 1 cd/m2. I'm also assuming you meant 120 cd/m2.
Old 26th April 2016, 21:39   #37594  |  Link
ikarad

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelGraves13 View Post
Sounds like your monitor is calibrated for 120 nits, since 1 nt = 1 cd/m2. I'm also assuming you meant 120 cd/m2.
Yes, my monitor is calibrated for 120nits but I would like to know if in madvr option I use the same nits or not.

I have tried with HDR movie example and at 120nits, it's too bright but I don't know if with a true HDr tv, it's like that or not.

With life of pi HDr eample available on http://demo-uhd3d.com/
120nits

400nits.

Last edited by ikarad; 26th April 2016 at 21:42.
ikarad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 21:43   #37595  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Just pick whichever nits setting looks best on your particular screen, there is no universal answer, or there wouldn't be as many options. Its generally higher than the 120 nits though, even if one might assume that would fit since SDR screens are calibrated for that.

Last edited by nevcairiel; 26th April 2016 at 21:47.
nevcairiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 21:53   #37596  |  Link
nussman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post
I am using madVR for live TV with DVBViewer Pro and DVB-S/S2.
Works perfect here, so madVR is ready for live TV.
nussman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 23:05   #37597  |  Link
hu1kamania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodgexander View Post

I am using it with a DVB-T2 tuner in the UK with MPC-HC and channels broadcast both in h264 and mpeg2 streams, no matter what I get dropped frames, albeit very very occasionally. I have an Ivy Bridge i5 with HD4000 graphics and have set image up-scaling/downscaling to DXVA and chroma up-scaling to Bilinear but it still drops frames.

I wondered if anyone else has had this problem, is it just Live TV? I have tried so many times to eliminate the problem, windowed mode, dx11 mode, exclusive mode etc.
Have you tried different deinterlacing settings within Lav Filters, and MadVR? That can make a difference as well.

I use MadVR with JRiver Media Center, but MPC-HC should work just as well.
hu1kamania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 23:20   #37598  |  Link
Dodgexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by nussman View Post
I am using madVR for live TV with DVBViewer Pro and DVB-S/S2.
Works perfect here, so madVR is ready for live TV.
Thanks, yes I've used madVR before with live TV but recently I get dropped frames.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hu1kamania View Post
Have you tried different deinterlacing settings within Lav Filters, and MadVR? That can make a difference as well.

I use MadVR with JRiver Media Center, but MPC-HC should work just as well.
Yes, I've tried forcing video detection in settings and also deactivating deinterlacing but it doesn't help. At first I thought it was a problem using the hardware decoder in lav but using no hardware acceleration I still get the same problem. I've tried with hardware deinterlacing too.

I'm not sure what the problem is, it happens so irregularly. I know when changing between programs and adverts it happens but that's a separate issue related to switching between progressive and interlaced broadcasts. This is happening whilst watching 1080i25 broadcasted snooker. I would guess every half hour or so there is a slow down with some jumped frames, rest of the time is fine with rendering queues and times up to scratch. My Max render time has been 1.2s

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Dodgexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2016, 23:54   #37599  |  Link
AngelGraves13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikarad View Post
Yes, my monitor is calibrated for 120nits but I would like to know if in madvr option I use the same nits or not.

I have tried with HDR movie example and at 120nits, it's too bright but I don't know if with a true HDr tv, it's like that or not.

With life of pi HDr eample available on http://demo-uhd3d.com/
120nits

400nits.
I'd probably go with 265 nits, as 400 seems a bit dark sometimes, but it might be the best choice and closest looking to SDR once converted.
Old 27th April 2016, 00:58   #37600  |  Link
CarlosCaco

hey people, about 3dlut calibration
tomorrow i gonna try again make a 3dlut, the last experience was bad... i got an old i1d2 and an lcd hdtv that don´t have rgb sliders or any colour controls...
what is the best config in dispcal gui?
should i set all to as measured and disable the interactive display adjustments? or should try using the rgb controls from intel cp?

and the tone curve? should i set as measured?
in profiling should i use black point compesation?
can somenone help me? the colorimetry is not mine and i don´have much time for testing possible configurations..

ps: my tv don´t support full range, and the best config i found is set madvr to tv levels and intel to full range... there something i should do in dispcalgui to match this settings?

Last edited by CarlosCaco; 27th April 2016 at 01:08.
CarlosCaco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling