Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 26th September 2012, 12:20   #14181  |  Link
Blight
Software Developer

Madshi:
I believe (not sure) that most (all?) of the MadVR freezes when switching to a next track or when closing a player was due to FSE being active while terminating D3D.
As you know, I wrote a work-around for this issue by instructing MadVR to exit FSE before I cleared the graph.
The question is, do you really need to wait until D3D is fully cleared as you do in 0.83.x or is exiting FSE enough to maintain the same level of stability...
If just existing FSE is enough, you may want to consider returning to the 0.82.5 exit function as it was much faster.
If you don't feel comfortable with that, I'm sure some users would appreciate a 'Fast D3D Close' checkbox.

'dwTaskbarThumbnails 331 +7 TdwTaskbarThumbnails.DoUpdate' is updating the windows taskbar thumbnail buttons (the buttons that appear under the task bar thumbnail).
I have no idea why it would trigger on a refresh rate change, I don't specifically call it in my code as far as I can tell... I only create the icons once and only update their image index depending on events such as play/pause and mute on/off.
Old 26th September 2012, 12:57   #14182  |  Link
Prinz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blight View Post
depending on events such as play/pause
And that event is properly triggered by the madvr option:

delay playback until render queue is full

If I deactivate that option, the error doesn't happen anymore and vice versa.
Prinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 13:35   #14183  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybkma View Post
I second this request. Have never experienced an mVR crashing problem upon stopping or exiting player.
Same here, but it's only taking like an extra quarter of a second compared to older builds.......I think we tend to abuse madshi's kindness

Take a look at what the coder of foobar2000 tells to his users: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/...dpost&p=427970
Quote:
To start with, foobar2000 was never meant to be usable for everyone.
We simply don't care whether specific userbase finds it useful or not. We would probably care if we earned money from it, but we don't [..] There's plenty of other players around.
His forum is full of feature requests(and very simple ones, such as getting rid of the horrid alien face icons that are being forced at every lauch), HE DOESN'T CARE because he works for free. He wrote foobar for his own use(much like madshi does) and he couldn't care less about end-(l)users needs.

Haali is the same, he only cares about bug reports when BetaBoy shows the green.

It's taking 250ms to close now, big deal

Last edited by leeperry; 26th September 2012 at 13:40.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 14:36   #14184  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbeing View Post
Is there nothing you can do about it then? It seems every video renderer in MPC-HC except madVR is able to handle that case fine.
From the log I've seen it was clearly a bug in ffdshow. I've tried to reproduce it on my XPSP3 machine and the problem doesn't seem to occur here. Maybe it depends on the ffdshow, the decoder, the OS, the GPU, whatever. Anyway, I'm not feeling like sinking a couple of hours of my time into trying to find a workaround for what seems like an ffdshow bug to me, which I can't even reproduce on my dev PC.

Quote:
I believe (not sure) that most (all?) of the MadVR freezes when switching to a next track or when closing a player was due to FSE being active while terminating D3D.
As you know, I wrote a work-around for this issue by instructing MadVR to exit FSE before I cleared the graph.
The question is, do you really need to wait until D3D is fully cleared as you do in 0.83.x or is exiting FSE enough to maintain the same level of stability...
If just existing FSE is enough, you may want to consider returning to the 0.82.5 exit function as it was much faster.
If you don't feel comfortable with that, I'm sure some users would appreciate a 'Fast D3D Close' checkbox.
Ok, I've added some extra code to do D3D finalization in a background thread. I *think* speed should be back up to v0.82 levels. I hope that all the changes I've done improved stability a bit, at least, and that the new changes won't bring stability down again...

Quote:
'dwTaskbarThumbnails 331 +7 TdwTaskbarThumbnails.DoUpdate' is updating the windows taskbar thumbnail buttons (the buttons that appear under the task bar thumbnail).
I have no idea why it would trigger on a refresh rate change, I don't specifically call it in my code as far as I can tell... I only create the icons once and only update their image index depending on events such as play/pause and mute on/off.
I don't know why it triggers, but does that matter? It seems that it does trigger, for some reason, so the bigger question is why that code would crash when it is triggered. How are you updating the thumbnail buttons? Does updating those buttons involve OLE stuff? Maybe you could show me TdwTaskbarThumbnails.DoUpdate code?
madshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 14:37   #14185  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

madVR v0.82.5 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip

Code:
* fixed: starting in exclusive mode, then switching to Overlay -> error
* modified exclusive mode seekbar design slightly
* madVR doesn't wait for full direct3d finalization, anymore
* improved crash reporting reliability
Old 26th September 2012, 15:22   #14186  |  Link
cyberbeing
Broadband Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
From the log I've seen it was clearly a bug in ffdshow. I've tried to reproduce it on my XPSP3 machine and the problem doesn't seem to occur here. Maybe it depends on the ffdshow, the decoder, the OS, the GPU, whatever. Anyway, I'm not feeling like sinking a couple of hours of my time into trying to find a workaround for what seems like an ffdshow bug to me, which I can't even reproduce on my dev PC.
Okay, no problem. For reference, this was on Win7 SP1 x64 with my GT440 DDR5 (306.23 WHQL driver) and FFDShow r4486. It only crashes madVR when I resize to 4096 width, but not any width above or below like 4094 or 4098.

Last edited by cyberbeing; 26th September 2012 at 15:26.
cyberbeing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 16:42   #14187  |  Link
Pat357

Black screen in FSE !

Madshi,

After disabling Aero when in full screen (checkbox checked), I ended up with a complete black screen when in FSE, while the sound kept playing.
I if switched out off FSE, I got images again and they were "in sync" with the sound.

So,
- in overlay (windowed + full-screen) : image + sound OK
- in FSE : black screen + sound kept playing.

I didn't see any error messages (behind FSE ??).
This bug was also there in 0.82.4.

Here is the DEBUG LOG :

http://www.mediafire.com/?npc9yieiv6d8u93

Update:
It seems I can easily reproduce this.
Even after complete quit and restarting the player, the problem is still there.
Images in FSE can be restored by unchecking the "disable Aero ...." in Madvr settings.

-
MadVR v0.82.5 / Win7 SP1 auto update / i7-970 hexacore @3.9 / 24GB RAM 2000 Mhz / Nvidia GTX-570 / latest WHQL drivers (306.27)

Last edited by Pat357; 26th September 2012 at 16:53. Reason: added title
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 17:04   #14188  |  Link
madshi
Registered Developer

I don't think there's much I can do about this. I've mentioned this problem before. You can also work around it by pausing the video before entering FSE mode.
Old 26th September 2012, 17:38   #14189  |  Link
SamKook

With v83.5, it doesn't show the D3D error and pause the video anymore from FSE to Overlay the first time, but now it fails to go back to FSE.

When I go in fullscreen again, I get "exclusive mode failed" in the OSD and when I check with ctrl+j, it says "fullscreen overlay mode". The madVR custom seekbar is there though.

When it first launch directly in fullscreen, it says "fullscreen exclusive mode" like usual.

Here's a debug log: http://www.mediafire.com/file/aqrdgcrw2n2l8df/madVR_log_SamKook_2012-09-26.rar

Last edited by SamKook; 26th September 2012 at 17:41.
SamKook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 17:52   #14190  |  Link
blackjack12

Windows 8 RTM - madVR 0.83.5 dropped frame issues - Good with 0.82.5

Wanted to provide a little more detail to some performance issues I have seen with Windows 8.

Windows 8 RTM (64)
Nvidia 560Ti
Nvidia driver ver. 306.23
MPC-HC 1.6.4.6011
LAV Filters 0.51.3-53
madVR - Comparing 0.82.5 (with antiringing 6 updates) - 0.83.5
MKV Blu-Ray direct rip files tested - VC-1, VC-1i, H264, H264i material

Problem:
With 0.83.5 files begin and play correctly, but if you jump ahead or back a number of times all of a sudden frames start dropping, stuttering and it does not stop or correct after pausing. It is consistent. Go back to 0.82.5 and there are no problems. ...

Cannot forward a log file or video sample because there is no crash or error indicated and have to move around a very large (20-40GB) file to see the issue. But it is consistent and always seen on this system and changing back to 0.82.5 always corrects the issue.
Windows 10 Pro (all latest updates)

Last edited by blackjack12; 26th September 2012 at 18:10.
blackjack12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 18:06   #14191  |  Link
JarrettH

Quote:
This sample is field blended. Meaning that it's not suitable for IVTC. The only way to achieve output without combing is to use video mode deinterlacing.

Thanks, but the MPC-HC debug information is missing. Did you have the *.pdb files in the right folder? You might have to unzip them, or something.
changing source to video mode helped with smoothness

might just watch it on the TV downstairs, I just like to solve problems

thanks for downloading my sample
JarrettH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 18:41   #14192  |  Link
mark0077

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamKook View Post
With v83.5, it doesn't show the D3D error and pause the video anymore from FSE to Overlay the first time, but now it fails to go back to FSE.

When I go in fullscreen again, I get "exclusive mode failed" in the OSD and when I check with ctrl+j, it says "fullscreen overlay mode". The madVR custom seekbar is there though.

When it first launch directly in fullscreen, it says "fullscreen exclusive mode" like usual.

Here's a debug log: http://www.mediafire.com/file/aqrdgcrw2n2l8df/madVR_log_SamKook_2012-09-26.rar
For me too, I no longer get the D3D error, thanks madshi! But as SamKook says it fails to go back to FSE giving the failed message. The first switch from FSE to Overlay for me pauses playback for maybe 0.5 - 1.0 seconds
mark0077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 19:50   #14193  |  Link
omarank

Quote:
Ok, but what is the source filter? In MPC-HC right click on the video, click on "Filters", then click on the source filter. That's usually the one which shows the source file name. Then copy the text from the "Pin Info" tab and post it here.
Sorry, I couldn't check this forum in the last few days and so, couldn't reply.

It's strange that when I click on Filters while viewing a still image, I see no source filter. However, in that filters list, there is an option which allows me to view Properties of the file (I am not sure if you referred to this filter). I have attached a file having the text from the Pin Info tab of that Properties window.

Normally, when I play a video, I can see Lav Splitter Source as the Source Splitter. Please let me know if you need any more information.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Pin Info text.txt (11.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by omarank; 26th September 2012 at 19:59.
omarank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 20:19   #14194  |  Link
yok833

Here is a picture during a big drop frame in FSE... no problem if I stay just in FS.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ko26zqvp8ct0f0h/FSE.jpg
I have also noticed that sometimes after few minutes in FSE it switch itself in FS
yok833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 21:55   #14195  |  Link
Pat357

Madshi,

When I try to past my yCMS settings in the foreseen "text-box", upon pressing the "Apply" or "OK" button, I get crash and an exception message like this :
Code:
  '0.42140' is not a valid floating point value.
How is that ? Does the tool maybe expect a format with a mantissa and an exponent ? ;-)
This makes that I can't make the calibration work atm : I'm forced to select another method to be able to press OK.

The dissam looks like :
Code:
005a9368        call    -$199775 ($40fbf8)     ; madStrings.RetTrimStr
005a936d        mov     eax, [ebp-$558]
005a9373        mov     [ebp-$7c], eax
005a9376        mov     edx, [$5c80e8]
005a937c        mov     eax, [ebp-$7c]
005a937f      > call    -$10ca5c ($49c928)     ; SysUtils.StrToFloat
005a9384        fstp    tbyte ptr [ebp-$90]
005a938a        wait
005a938b        fld     tbyte ptr [ebp-$90]
005a9391        fstp    qword ptr [ebp-$58]
005a9394        wait

Complete crash-report :
http://www.mediafire.com/?ow4p36klr55dxgt
Attached Images

Last edited by Pat357; 27th September 2012 at 10:21.
Pat357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2012, 22:59   #14196  |  Link
nuhi

madshi, when you get to it please check if it's possible to make madvr work with the native Nvidia Rotation from the driver.
Basically how to reproduce the issue is to right-click Desktop, go to Nvidia Control Panel, Rotate Display, and pick e.g. Portrait (flipped).
Then when playing with madvr the picture is just black, sound is ok.
Thanks.
nuhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 01:10   #14197  |  Link
ajp_anton

Just letting you guys know...
Samsung S27A850T supports both 48Hz and 50Hz through Displayport at full 2560x1440.
I'm on an Intel HD3000 BTW, surprised Intel actually allows custom refresh rates.
ajp_anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 01:43   #14198  |  Link
leeperry
Kid for Today

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp_anton View Post
Just letting you guys know...
Samsung S27A850T supports both 48Hz and 50Hz through Displayport at full 2560x1440.
for the price, it'd better

it'd be great if someone created a thread for the mVR-related chit-chat coz I'm still in the market for a good bang/bucks flat screen myself....apparently to get killer native CR, the current market leader is Philips w/ the >5K:1 Philips 40PFL5507H for less than 600€.

The firmware seems a far cry from what SONY offers(random black screens via HDMI), but the native CR kills and it does native 24p of course. I'm currently trying to resist really really hard

Ideally I'd want something 27"-ish but these are usually PC monitors with sloppy onboard electronics and/or poor native CR, duh.
leeperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 03:15   #14199  |  Link
dansrfe

Everyone using madVR needs to buy one of the 27" Korean monitors. I've been reading quite a bit about them and it seems like they really do what they say they do.

I'm about to buy this monitor:

27" S-IPS LED 2560 x 1440 Glossy LG Panel, overclockable up to 120Hz

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?629-...le-Information
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2012, 06:54   #14200  |  Link
dansrfe

@madshi

Can you please add the checkbox to turn off the wallpaper changer or it would be even beter if you could add a textbox which takes in any command line and executes it before and another textbox that executes a command line before exiting.

Thanks! You are very appreciated madshi
dansrfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling