Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Hardware & Software > Software players

Old 9th October 2017, 21:24   #46401  |  Link
Razoola

Just a quick query as I'm not sure if it has been brought up before. I'm wondering how madVR handles the 2:1 Univisium format being used more often by netflix (star trek discovery) etc? Can madVR pick it up in in its black bar detection etc?
Razoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:36   #46402  |  Link
bitterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi View Post
Does madVR show "(DXVA11)" at the end of the 4th line in the Ctrl+J OSD when these freezes occur?
No, it didn't. I just tried it again and it stays on "D3D9 exclusive (new path)" when the freeze image issue happens.

What you see in this video I recorded a couple of days earlier is what I get every time. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljlp67uHH_0

And right now I literally have no clue anymore whether my gpu is able to handle HEVC or not.

For instance these messages by sneaker_ger and huhn they claim my card (GTX 650 Ti) isn't HEVC compatible:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker_ger View Post
I don't know what is causing it but I would recommend to simply deactivate hardware decoding for HEVC and move on. Neither i7-4770k nor GTX 650 Ti have ASIC for HEVC. Not worth the trouble.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huhn View Post
no a 970 can't do it you need a 960/950 or newer card pascal card.

and of cause you need new hardware for new codecs how could a GPU old than a new codec have fixed function hardware decoder for it?

even 1030 has a fixed function hardware decoder so no need for high end hardware you just need new hard.
But then a guy named Chros said my card is able to decode HEVC just fine, maybe not with 10bit hevc or with 4k hevc files, but 8bit will do just fine.
And the video in question is 8bit so that means it should be able to run just fine, I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros View Post
Actually it is. But only with <=1080p, 8bit hevc! (So not with 4k hevc, neither with 10bit 1080p hevc.)
It's based on Kepler architecture, as my laptop card (see my signature, along with the driver version I use), and it works the same way for me as well.
Here is the mediainfo output of the video file. Just in case you want to take a look at it (again):
https://pastebin.com/p2M9X2QM

Even the video (Annabelle.2014.BluRay.1080p.H265-20-40) is just a lousy 300mb re-encode, it's not even a real 1080p encode.

But right now I'm still pretty stunned that the video file did play "freeze image" free using EVR and VMR9 and not with madVR. The only way is by unticking HEVC in LAV video.

So if you require any further information, I will be happy to provide it.

Last edited by bitterman; 9th October 2017 at 21:49.
bitterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:50   #46403  |  Link
mrmarioman

Quote:
Do you mean the toggle "HDR and Advanced Color"? I've never heard yet of this toggle automatically enabling itself! Are you on some fast track Windows 10 beta build, maybe?
Yes, that toggle.
I'm not using any beta build.
I just updated to the latest nvidia drivers (387.92) (Also using latest madvr and LAV nightly).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcVMMBUVTmE
It looks like it's using both, nvidia and windows hdr, at the same time. Sometimes it works, sometimes colours look washed out.
I've unistalled everything and installed it back again. Not sure what else to do.

Edit- Rolled back to the previous nvidia driver. It's now working. I still need to open and close the player a few times before it displays hdr colours correctly though. It' s a hit and miss for me.

Last edited by mrmarioman; 10th October 2017 at 17:45.
mrmarioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:58   #46404  |  Link
Werewolfy

Quote:
TTempSmooth is a multi-frame algorithm, while RRN is a single-frame algorithm. Generally, multi-frame algorithms have an advantage for random noise (and grain) removal, because random noise and grain are (supposed to be) different in each frame while the actual image content stays more or less static (unless there's motion in the scene). If you want to compare RRN with other algorithms, please pick single-frame algorithms for comparison purposes. I do plan to look into multi-frame algorithms in the future, but it's not too easy. For best results you basically need some sort of motion compensation, or at least motion detection. And if that compensation or detection goes wrong, you can end up with pretty bad artifacts. For now I wanted to start with a single-frame noise reduction algorithm, because it's easier to implement and less dangerous in terms of adding weird artifacts.
I see your point and it was what I have suspected... I've never liked single-frame algo for denoising. If I compare to what I remember then your algo is the best I've seen in this category, definitely not bad but not to my taste.

Could you at least give the choice to select a lower strength?

But on the other hand, I'm still amazed of what you have achieved with your RCA Each time I've tested this type of algo, I've ended up using a very low strength that made little to no difference. Your algo is definitely different, I think I will use it on all my DVDs!
Old 9th October 2017, 21:59   #46405  |  Link
sneaker_ger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterman View Post
But then a guy named Chros said my card is able to decode HEVC just fine, maybe not with 10bit hevc or with 4k hevc files, but 8bit will do just fine.
And the video in question is 8bit so that means it should be able to run just fine, I guess.
I never said it shouldn't work. I'm just saying it's not worth the bother. It works just fine with software decoding, doesn't it?
sneaker_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 22:00   #46406  |  Link
nevcairiel
Registered Developer

Hybrid decoding (like HEVC on Kepler cards) is generally best to stay away from. Its usually slow and often presents problems if the GPU is under high load (ie. with high madVR settings).
Old 9th October 2017, 22:29   #46407  |  Link
d3rd3vil

God bless you nevertheless madshi regarding Dolby Vision

Question though: is there a "faster" way to at least ehm show that Dolby Vision is running in the information overview?
Cause when I play a Dolby Vision TS file nothing indicates that this is even Dolby Vision. Then when I convert it via MKVToolNix Dolby Vision doesnt work anymore but the MPC info is more or less the same.

Is there a way to show if DV is active(even though not working via MPC)?
d3rd3vil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 22:57   #46408  |  Link
MS-DOS

Thank you for the new algos, madshi.

Is it me, or RRN str1 is actually stronger than str2 ?
MS-DOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 22:59   #46409  |  Link
el Filou

Here's a comparison on overly compressed SD MPEG2 cable source:
Off
Reduce Compression Artifacts @ 3
Reduce Random Noise @ 1
RCA has to be pushed a bit to get results on really bad source, but when watching the content in motion I prefer RRN at 1 even though it smothes a bit too much. I concur that a lower RRN setting would be best.

Edit: after testing RRN @ 2 , I also find that 1 is stronger.

Last edited by el Filou; 9th October 2017 at 23:29.
el Filou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 23:10   #46410  |  Link
ABDO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS-DOS View Post
Thank you for the new algos, madshi.

Is it me, or RRN str1 is actually stronger than str2 ?
same here
ABDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 23:45   #46411  |  Link
egandt

Looking for where to try "reduce compression artifacts" or "reduce random noise", I have 0.92.6 installed (I have profiles 7 to be exact), but can not find these options on any screen. I hate to delete profiles, as it takes so much time to recreate them from scratch.

I've attached some screenshots, but I'm not finding them.

Thanks,
ERIC
Attached Images

Last edited by egandt; 9th October 2017 at 23:52.
egandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 00:20   #46412  |  Link
Klaus1189

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus1189 View Post
If I use madvr and enable "delay playback until renderer is full" the taskbar indicator (is it called that way?) displays pause and yellow color progress of file. Is that something that can be fixed? In MPC-BE or madvr?
Tested with 0.92.4. Currently I‘m not in Germany, so I can‘t test 0.92.5 and 0.92.6 with my equipment.
Klaus1189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 00:44   #46413  |  Link
Asmodian

I am quite excited to test all this, being stuck in a hotel room on mobile is not good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razoola View Post
Just a quick query as I'm not sure if it has been brought up before. I'm wondering how madVR handles the 2:1 Univisium format being used more often by netflix (star trek discovery) etc? Can madVR pick it up in in its black bar detection etc?
Black bar detection does not use known aspect ratios, it simply removes black borders.

That said, madVR does know about that aspect ratio and even labels it as univisium in its OSD.
Old 10th October 2017, 00:49   #46414  |  Link
ryrynz

Quote:

Have you had a chance to compare the new Adaptive Sharpen to the old one? Would like your feedback on that, if you find some time to compare.
Always liked Adaptive Sharpen and I just took your word it was nicer than the old version. It's stronger isn't it? I did find myself reducing the level to 0.2/0.3 when running with NGU Sharp. I also like sharpen edges and enhance detail enabled together.. When I was tinkering I realized I now had to decide whether I use NGU Sharp and lower sharpening levels or NGU standard and higher levels. Then whether edge sharpening and enhancing details were worth keeping enabled with an improved Adaptive Sharpen and how they compared to it. I'm tempted to look at all this over the next few days with various content.

Last edited by ryrynz; 10th October 2017 at 06:59.
ryrynz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 01:16   #46415  |  Link
cyberscott

Quote:
Sounds great! Maybe you could post 2-3 "before vs after" screenshots which showcase the improvement you're seeing?
Here are a couple of screen shots. These are up-scaled from 480p to 4k, with the "reduce random noise /process chroma channels, too" both ticked and set to strength 1. It looks real good from my viewing distance of around six feet (188.66 cm) from a 55 inch (139.7 cm) OLED 4k TV.

Before and after.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Q4FzchlC17DeJQ5v2

Last edited by cyberscott; 10th October 2017 at 13:06. Reason: wrong link
cyberscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 02:00   #46416  |  Link
Drakko01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakko01
Hi Madshi, what upscalling option do you think is better for me , I playing bluray / 1080p high bitrate videos on a 4k tv lg uf8500, mpc-be ,lav filters 0.72.77 along with SvP to do 60fps, my hardware is a I7 3770k, Gtx 1070, 8gb of ram.

Originally Posted by Madshi
I don't know how much performance SVP costs, so it's hard for me to do a specific recommendation. With high-quality content usually NGU-Sharp or NGU-Standard looks pretty good for image upscaling. That's the most important setting to choose. The chroma options are much less important in comparison.

I think than the best I can do is chroma upscaling= ngu soft medium and image upscalling NGU Sharp medium without entering in frame drops , or what you saying is do even less on chroma , if that so, which scaler you choose.

https://postimg.org/image/9rxt6avniz/

https://postimg.org/image/50p03kboa3/
Drakko01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 02:13   #46417  |  Link
Neo-XP

Quote:
madVR v0.92.6 released

http://madshi.net/madVR.zip
Amazing new algorithms there, even if I will not use them, because I have to enable them manually every time and they are not useful for all videos.
A little bug : RRN at 1 is stronger than RRN at 2.

@madshi Do you plan to improve the RRA and RDH algos ?

I am still using aviSynth with FineDehalo because RRA + RDH is not good with NGU (Source / MadVR RRA + RDH / FineDehalo) :

FineDehalo works very well with NGU, but madVR RRA + RDH creates undesired artifacts around the edges.

Anyway, keep up the good work

Last edited by Neo-XP; 10th October 2017 at 02:40.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 04:02   #46418  |  Link
takenori

is it safe to update madvr by overwriting the old version files or do i need to deletes the old version first?
im too lazy to create the whole profile group again.
takenori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 04:07   #46419  |  Link
Neo-XP

You can just overwrite the old files.
Neo-XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2017, 09:37   #46420  |  Link
mzso

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberscott View Post
Here are a couple of screen shots. These are up-scaled from 480p to 4k, with the "reduce random noise /process chroma channels, too" both ticked and set to strength 1. It looks real good from my viewing distance of around six feet (188.66 cm) from a 55 inch (139.7 cm) OLED 4k TV.

Before: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...n5zxF_jqsYuv3I

After: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...khmFCPsofSpgSU

Before: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...D1G6iIKxK_s7jf

After: https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...vkEc7qWtKB_ynq
All the links are broken.

Last edited by mzso; 10th October 2017 at 09:49.
mzso is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
direct compute, dithering, error diffusion, madvr, ngu, nnedi3, quality, renderer, scaling, uhd upscaling, upsampling