Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > General > DVD2AVI / DGIndex

Closed Thread

Old 5th January 2008, 15:45   #241  |  Link
burfadel

Faster decoding of HDTV 1920x1080 would be nice normal resolution (PAL 720x576) is very fast, the reason why I bring up HDTV is that editing out adverts from HDTV is rather slow, and for those with slower CPU's than a Core 2 Duo at 2.8ghz I could imagine it being rather painfully slow!

I know I brought up SSE3/SSSE3 optimisations in an earlier post, if I had programming knowledge I would contribute to improving dgdecode, but I do know there's others with knowledge on here that could do it (I guess)!

With an updated, optimised dgdecode.dll it would not only improve the performance of decoding/encoding hdtv, but also standard definition and DVD's , in fact any encode that used dgindex!
Old 5th January 2008, 15:47   #242  |  Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck View Post
also, in getbit.cpp 'V PTS' instead of 'V DTS' is printed to the timestamps file: fprintf(Timestamps, "V PTS %u [%ums]\n", dts_stamp, dts_stamp/90);
Thanks. I'll fix that for 1.5.0 Final.
Old 9th January 2008, 13:30   #243  |  Link
josey_wells

Neuron2,

While looking through the ISO/IEC 14496-2:2004 (MPEG-4 standard) I found that a video_range parameter was added to the extensions header such that for 8 bit video:

Video_Range=0(default with no extension header)
Luminance and Chromaniance [16, 235] & [16, 240] respectively

Video_Range=1
Luminace and Chrominance [0, 255]

I don't have a copy of the new MPEG-2 standard to see whether it applies there or not. If it does could a video_range information field be added to the log file and GUI to display this information? This would be useful for the new ColorMatrix and also my internal color conversion function since full range video uses different offset and scaling factors.

This would also apply to the new DGAVCIndex function.

The standard also mentions that with no extension information BT709 is assumed. If I read through the post correctly DGIndex currently reports this as BT470-2, B, G*. IMO this should be reported as BT709*.

Thanks!
Old 9th January 2008, 14:51   #244  |  Link

That parameter does not exist in MPEG2.

Quote:
The standard also mentions that with no extension information BT709 is assumed. If I read through the post correctly DGIndex currently reports this as BT470-2, B, G*. IMO this should be reported as BT709*.
That's how it was for a long time. After several requests and some pratical experiences, this policy was implemented:

* When a stream does not declare the colorimetry, matrix_coefficients=1 is assumed for HD video and matrix_coefficients=5 is assumed for SD video.
Old 12th January 2008, 16:27   #245  |  Link
damjang

When I use DGIndex (1.5.0rc2) and save a project (from VOB) I encounter an error that say "Too many pictures per GOP (>=500). DGIndex wil terminate." When I click OK the prog closes.
What I can do to prevent this error?

thank you
damjang
Old 12th January 2008, 17:17   #246  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Couple of things we need to know, firstly what DVD is the VOB from? And secondly, does the error still come up when you decrypt it with either DVD Decrypter or DVDFab Decrypter? If I could pinpoint it, it's likely copy-protection of some sort that has lots of erroneous GOP sizes.
Old 12th January 2008, 23:28   #247  |  Link
Pudah

Save BMP location

I often use DGIndex to save BMPs. By default, it saves to the folder from which the source video was loaded. Even if you navigate to a different folder to save an image, subsequent saves also default to the source folder.

This a only a minor inconvenience, so if you don't think it is important enough to spend any time on, I understand completely. But it would be great if the user could specify a permanent folder to store BMPs, or at a minimum, have the program remember a selected folder during an editing session and not go back to the source folder on each save.
Old 13th January 2008, 13:31   #248  |  Link
damjang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inventive Software View Post
Couple of things we need to know, firstly what DVD is the VOB from? And secondly, does the error still come up when you decrypt it with either DVD Decrypter or DVDFab Decrypter? If I could pinpoint it, it's likely copy-protection of some sort that has lots of erroneous GOP sizes.
Yes, it is an error on original dvd. But I rip it with DVDFab and it say that "3 potential bad sector protections are removed". The source dvd is "The Corporation (ita version)"...
Old 15th January 2008, 19:49   #249  |  Link
damjang

I try to play the file (specialy the part with too many pictures per gop) and all the dvd/mpeg players play that part ok. The only error is in DGIndex...
Old 15th January 2008, 20:03   #250  |  Link
Inventive Software
Turkey Machine

Location: Lowestoft, UK (but visit lots of places with bribes [beer])
Can you cut a small sample and upload it somewhere?
Old 16th January 2008, 00:13   #251  |  Link
damjang

Oh, I watch the video more acurately and found some glitches. And here is the sample (cut with projectX)
Old 16th January 2008, 21:34   #252  |  Link
LordIntruder

Hi,

Some months ago I ripped a movie, PAL and progressive, around 1h50 long. From 1h40 to 1h45 suddenly the sequence was interlaced and then the last 5 minutes progressive like the rest of the movie.

This week I encountered the exact same problem with an old serie. In the middle of the episode, around 10 min, suddenly everything is interlaced.

Is there a way with DGIndex that could tell us automatically that the video has both progressive and interlaced content? Because as usual, I always see that AFTER the encoding Grrr...

I thought that maybe when we save the project (F5), at the end in the log file, we could have a report saying:

- Both progressive and interlaced

So that you know you have to use a deinterlacer. We already have such a report in the log, but I tried with my episode and it only report progressive and no interlaced because the final frames are not.

Is it possible to implement that?

At this stage the only way I know is to watch closely all the video and see if a sequence is not interlaced. As I'm rather lazy, I would enjoy an automatic way.

Unless there is already a tool that allow to do that?

Thanks
Old 17th January 2008, 01:49   #253  |  Link
SCIF
AMD fan

neuron2, check your PM, please. I have a question about translate dgindexmanual.html
Old 17th January 2008, 01:50   #254  |  Link
signal
to noise

@LordIntruder

I know it's PAL but when you previewed or played the material wouldn't the "Video Type" in the information window still switch to % Film if interlacing showed up?
Old 17th January 2008, 04:30   #255  |  Link
Boulder
Pig on the wing

AFAIK, DGIndex uses the flags of the stream to determine progressive/interlaced, it doesn't do any in-depth analysis. Most PAL DVDs are simply flagged as interlaced and the flag doesn't change during the video.
Old 17th January 2008, 20:53   #256  |  Link
LordIntruder

Quote:
Originally Posted by signal View Post
I know it's PAL but when you previewed or played the material wouldn't the "Video Type" in the information window still switch to % Film if interlacing showed up?
Hi,

Yes if you preview at the correct sequence, you have to press "[" and start preview, here the information change from progressive to interlaced, you are right. But if you know that, this is because you already made a search and this is what I want to avoid.

In my case, I open the VOB, I press the Preview button, DGindex does not report me that in the middle of the movie/episode a small sequence is interlaced, I presume it can't know it. It has to go through each frame to determine that.

My guess is when we save the project, DGindex looks at each frame (I suppose it works like that) and knows that some frames are not progressive like the others but interlaced, so that it could reports it in the final log. But my guess may be completely wrong.

If that is impossible while saving the project, maybe a new option similar to preview could be implemented that would do an in-depth analysis and making reports. Because doing a preview at maximum speed, on my machine (4200+) an episode of 50min needs 15min to be fully previewed. Almost half an hour for a 100min movie. I can't stay in front of my machine so long, looking at the information tab without moving my eyes for an hypothetical change here. We could have an option doing preview at maximum speed and get an automatic report log that would tell us:

"oh oh, some progressive and interlaced frames detected". And we could also have the start of those frames.

Say a movie has 150000 frames. Only the changing frame state could be reported

- frame 1: progressive
- frame 58000: interlaced
- frame 65001: progressive
- frame 150000: progressive

So you conclude that between 58000 and 65000 it is interlaced.

You can then examine with your rip program (Gknot, etc...) or directly VirtualDub via an avs those frames.

A friend of mine reported me he also encoutered the same problem 2-3 times on NTSC stuff where 2 min where interlaced. So you can control closely and still miss that unique and very short interlaced sequence.

If that can be done a day, that would be great. If not, I'll continue using my magnifying glass.

Thanks.
Old 21st January 2008, 08:35   #257  |  Link
hkazemi

Here's a keyboard usability note for DGINDEX 1.5.0 rc2:

1.) Using the keyboard navigate the following sequence: Alt-F | File | Open | select a file | hit Enter

2.) you should now see a window called 'File List' come up with ADD/UP/DOWN/DEL/DEL ALL on the right side

3.) observe that you can't use the keyboard to move between the controls. The 'tab' key should work to do this, but it doesn't. If you use the mouse to manually click on 'ADD' and then 'Cancel', you can see the button focus is now on 'ADD', and you can use the arrow keys to sort of select between the options, although they're not selected in order, and the focus gets stuck in the file list again.
Old 28th January 2008, 23:26   #258  |  Link
Brewskie

Splash Not Working?

Hi,

The last version I had where the splash.bmp was working was 1.5.0 beta 10. It does not seem to work in 1.5.0 RC 2. If there was an intentional change that I am unaware of, I am sorry I didn't notice it in the thread. Also, it's not like this hurts DGIndex functionality so it's not too big of a deal!

Thanks!
Old 29th January 2008, 03:00   #259  |  Link

I'm 15000 miles away from my source code right now, but IIRC, rename the splash.bmp to dgindex.bmp. I did it to allow coexisting with DGAVCIndex. The DGAVCIndex bmp should be called dgavcindex.bmp. I'll fix the manual when I return. Thank you for pointing it out.
Old 29th January 2008, 12:32   #260  |  Link
hajj_3

sse4 optimisation would be nice, divx 6.7 and other programs that use it get UPTO 80% increased performance which is insane. sse4 will be on all 45nm quad core/dual core cpu's that are out in 2 weeks time.

Keep up the good work neuron.
Closed Thread