Welcome to Doom9's Forum, THE in-place to be for everyone interested in DVD conversion.

Before you start posting please read the forum rules. By posting to this forum you agree to abide by the rules.

Go Back   Doom9's Forum > Video Encoding > MPEG-4 Encoder GUIs

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2005, 21:00   #181  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

well.. I'm a bit wary about that feature.. if you have aku backing you up that it's safe to use certain options in a first pass without visible quality degration, then I believe the turbo option should do all those things. There's a turbo option in libavcodec, xvid and the x264 vfw version.. it's all one checkbox, so I'd say it's kinda what people can be trusted to handle safely.. give them another 10 options on top of what's already there might just end up confusing people more and drive them to using another codec. And for those who know what they're doing, they're probably not looking for a tool that is as automatic as MeGUI has become.

As far as the compressibility check goes.. personally I find that a useless feature.. but if there's a demand and somebody can tell me what I'd have to do (I really don't have a clue what is done in such a check.. it's just something I never felt any particular need for knowing), perhaps I'll do it. Of course.. there's 4 different codecs, and I figure 3 different stats formats at least (libavcodec based encoders, xvid and x264).
Old 29th June 2005, 03:42   #182  |  Link
AMED

Hi,

I gave MeGUI a go last night and found a couple of problems.

I have ripped the monster inc DVD using DVDDecrypter using IFO mode.
i have set all the locations for all the needed files in MeGUI and i'm using x264 for encoding, not mencoder

i open up MeGUI and start the d2v creator and load the first vob file from the ripped DVD. i get and error stating that it couln't find the stream information.txt
MeGUI is looking for the file named vts_13 - stream information.txt when i look in the folder where i ripped the disc the files are as below.
Code:
VTS_13_0.IFO
VTS_13_PGC_01 - Stream Information.txt
VTS_13_PGC_01_1.VOB
VTS_13_PGC_01_2.VOB
VTS_13_PGC_01_3.VOB
VTS_13_PGC_01_4.VOB
VTS_13_PGC_01_5.VOB
i click ok on the couldn't find dialogue box, demux all audio streams and build the d2v.

onto AVS.

i open up the AVS creator and load the d2v file i just made. i get an error saying that dgdecode.dll wasn't found.
Code:
 System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL (dgdecode.dll).
   at MeGUI.d2vReader.openMPEG2Source(String fileName)
   at MeGUI.d2vReader.openD2V()
   at MeGUI.VideoPlayer.loadVideo(String path, PREVIEWTYPE type)
   at MeGUI.AviSynthWindow.openVideo(String videoInput)
   at MeGUI.AviSynthWindow.openVideoButton_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
i checked the directory where DGIndex.exe is and sure enough dgdecode.dll is there, so i copied dgdecode.dll into the same dir that MeGUI.exe is in and that fixed that problem. i save the AVS file after cropping the picture (using autocrop).

I load the AVS into the video part and specify the output name, and click autoencode.

a couple of encoding boxes pop up and then dissapear and the log shows this
Code:
Desired size of this automated encoding series: 734003200 bytes
No audio encoding. Calculating desired video bitrate directly.
Setting video bitrate for the video jobs to 587201 kbit/s
Next job job1-1 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"H:\Stored Files\Video\MeGUI-0.2.0.4\x264.exe" --pass 1 --bitrate 587201 --stats "2pass.log" --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --progress --no-psnr --output NUL "G:\UNDEFINED\MeGUI.avs" 
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-1
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log for job job1-1

avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
job job1-1 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-2
Next job job1-2 is a video job. encoder commandline:
"H:\Stored Files\Video\MeGUI-0.2.0.4\x264.exe" --pass 2 --bitrate 587201 --stats "2pass.log" --analyse p8x8,b8x8,i4x4,p4x4,i8x8 --8x8dct --progress --no-psnr --output "G:\UNDEFINED\Megui video.mp4" "G:\UNDEFINED\MeGUI.avs" 
successfully set up video encoder and callbacks for job job1-2

Log for job job1-2

avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )
could not open input file 'G:\UNDEFINED\MeGUI.avs'
desired video bitrate of this job: 587201 kbit/s - obtained video bitrate: 0 kbit/s
job job1-2 has been processed. This job is linked to the next job: job1-3
Next job job1-3 is a mux job. mp4box commandline:
"H:\Stored Files\Video\MeGUI-0.2.0.4\MP4Box\MP4Box.exe" -add "G:\UNDEFINED\Megui video.mp4" -fps 24 -new "G:\UNDEFINED\Megui video-muxed.mp4"
successfully set up muxer and callbacks for job job1-3

Log for job job1-3

Error setting job priority. Error message: Cannot process request because the process (2780) has exited. stacktrace:    at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessHandle(Int32 access, Boolean throwIfExited)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.GetProcessHandle(Int32 access)
   at System.Diagnostics.Process.set_PriorityClass(ProcessPriorityClass value)
   at MeGUI.MP4Muxer.encode()
Hi had a feeling that there was something funky with the AVS file, so i used Gordianknot to create an avs to compare with the MeGUI one.
This is the MeGUI created AVS
Code:
mpeg2source("G:\UNDEFINED\monsters.d2v")
crop(10,0,-10,-2)
LanczosResize(640,480)
and the one from gordain knot (which works)
Code:
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\DGMPGDec\DGDecode.dll")
LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\AviSynthPlugins\UnDot.dll")
mpeg2source("G:\UNDEFINED\monsters.d2v")
crop(10,0,700,572)
LanczosResize(640,480)
Undot()
sorry for such a long post.
Old 29th June 2005, 07:26   #183  |  Link
LigH
German doom9/Gleitz SuMo

"avis [error]: unsupported input format (DIB )"

Very strange: The FourCC "DIB " is one of the few valid for RGB24. But your script looks like it shall output YV12 because there is no colorspace conversion after MPEG2Source.

I wonder if it is possible that any kind of "forced colorspace conversion" kicks in between AviSynth and x264. But where, and how?!
Old 29th June 2005, 07:49   #184  |  Link
berrinam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMED
i checked the directory where DGIndex.exe is and sure enough dgdecode.dll is there, so i copied dgdecode.dll into the same dir that MeGUI.exe is in and that fixed that problem.
Not actually, it just made it disappear. You also need dgdecode.dll in your AviSynth plugins folder (normally, c:\program files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins), but it won't tell you about that error in any explicit way (ie, it will just fail quietly with the symptoms you have).
Old 29th June 2005, 08:01   #185  |  Link
AMED

having dgdecode.dll in c:\program files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins and in the same folder as MeGUI.exe seems to have fixed all my problems.
Old 29th June 2005, 08:12   #186  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
vts_13 - stream information.txt
That's the default setting.. you can have tons of ways of DVD Decrypter naming the output files.. just as AutoGK expects certain options checked, I do, too.

And as far as dgdecode goes.. somewhere in the readme it should say that the dll needs to be in the megui folder for the AviSynth creator, and in your autoload folder. I've often moved around scripts to machines that had the proper DLLs, but not at the proper place.. hence relying on auto-load where I don't have to worry about the location of the DLLs.
Old 29th June 2005, 08:42   #187  |  Link
AMED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
That's the default setting.. you can have tons of ways of DVD Decrypter naming the output files.. just as AutoGK expects certain options checked, I do, too.

And as far as dgdecode goes.. somewhere in the readme it should say that the dll needs to be in the megui folder for the AviSynth creator, and in your autoload folder. I've often moved around scripts to machines that had the proper DLLs, but not at the proper place.. hence relying on auto-load where I don't have to worry about the location of the DLLs.
couldn't you have it search for *stream information.txt in the folder of where the ripped files are?
Old 29th June 2005, 09:52   #188  |  Link
Di Abolico

Hi! Great thanks to you, Doom9 and all who participated, for such a great tool!

Got a minor question that's not exactly on topic, but surely related to. The other day I did some dvd-rip encoding with MeGUI + mencoder to Xvid. There was great speed, no errors, and colors, totally messed up in resulting video. Checked avs script - it played ok in players like MPC and Light Alloy, however mplayer, just as mencoder (no wonder), produced wrong colors. After adding "ConvertToRGB32()" to avs script weird effect went away, but doesn't mencoder accept YV12-source material?
Old 29th June 2005, 10:46   #189  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
couldn't you have it search for *stream information.txt in the folder of where the ripped files are?
That wouldn't work if you have two VTS sets in the same directory.. but I see what I can do about the naming.. it would have to be VTSX (where the X matches the VOB you selected.. it needs to be the first one by the way as DGIndex expects to be given the first one and picks up subsequent ones automatically) + *Stream Information.txt.. I have to check if I can make a filter like that.

@Di Abolico: If you're using dgindex.. which version? mencoder can only handle true YV12.. DGIndex used a slightly different format until v1.2.1 that would lead to discolored results when used with mencoder.
Old 29th June 2005, 11:17   #190  |  Link
Di Abolico

Doom9
Unbelievable! Yes, you were absolutely right! Upgrading DGIndex (the version had been, ashamed to say, 1.0.12) entirely solved the problem. Thank you kindly!
Old 29th June 2005, 11:25   #191  |  Link
stax76

Quote:
Of course.. there's 4 different codecs, and I figure 3 different stats formats at least (libavcodec based encoders, xvid and x264).
also don't forget everytime a change is made to the stats format it's a breaking change, mine is based on filesize, 40 lines (old and ugly) code, works regardless of the used codec and quite good for DivX and XviD. I wonder how do you find your bitrate without doing a compcheck?
Old 29th June 2005, 12:39   #192  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
I wonder how do you find your bitrate without doing a compcheck?
it's all based on the per frame overhead assumption. Fortunately the Nero AAC encoder takes MP4 overhead (or actually... "underhead" as the raw stream is bigger than the one packed into an MP4) into account so I really only have to worry about video and the values I'm using (the ones ateme gave me with their avc encoder) seem to work out reasonably well.

Either way, somebody first has to guide me through a compcheck for me to be able to figure out the amount of work and if I really want to do that. Of course, since it's open source, anybody can step in..

@cheburashka: I've started a discussion on turbo "features" in the official x264 thread.. if there are any changes that could be added to the current turbo mechanism, I prefer to implement all those, rather than risk that people either use settings that make things slower but not better, or break anything. In the end what I think mostly matters is that you get the best possible speed gain without degrading the end results.. anything else should be up to people setting up first and second pass (and 3rd for that matter.. I'm currently contemplating adding an automated 3 pass even though it's not something I'd ever use, but it's easy enough for regular encoding, just needs some additional intelligence in automated mode)
Old 29th June 2005, 17:03   #193  |  Link
superdump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom9
I've started a discussion on turbo "features" in the official x264 thread.
And I've replied.

Old 29th June 2005, 20:35   #194  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

by the way.. here's another way you can help, without even needing to know how to code: since subtitles cannot be OCR'ed completely automatic in most cases, I have asked for VobSub subtitle import to mp4box (Nero style using private streams). I haven't gotten around to even encoding a sample stream though so if you have one ready, could you please attach it here: https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?fun...group_id=84101

Having that feature in mp4box would mean I could also offer fully automated subtitle processing in MeGUI and get one step closer to the one click ideal.
Old 30th June 2005, 12:11   #195  |  Link
berrinam

Is matroska output (eg for AC3+AVC) through mkvmerge a possible future for MeGUI, or do you plan to stick to the mp4 container?
Old 30th June 2005, 13:38   #196  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I'm not really a fan supporting 10 different containers.. each has its own sets of problems that need to be dealt with. For instance, Matroska cannot handle raw AVC so you'll either have to have two mux jobs (raw -> mp4, mp4 -> mkv), or restrict the encoder to x264.exe.. then there's bitrate calculation, yet another muxer to be supported, new muxing dialogues, new audio formats (ogg), new ways of transferring audio streams in between dialogs.. even adding avi is a pain in the ass even though I have a neat workaround in mind (you can mux audio during video encoding).
Old 1st July 2005, 23:06   #197  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

I've already fixed all the issues bond mentioned (no level support yet) and the ultra-fast turbo, as well as all the other issues that have come up. In addition, I believe to have fixed another old muxing issue also related to commas.. I think I got them all now.

I really got myself into a mess with that AVI feature though.. I'm still not done with that :/ Should've stuck to MP4 output.
Old 2nd July 2005, 21:15   #198  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Alright, with the new release out, a few notes:

mencoder freezes when muxing AC3. This is because it cannot get the properties of your audio file. unixfs wrote a patch for that which was turned down (http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.ph...&page=1&pp=20).. I'm going to file a bug report hoping it'll be fixed fast.

Note that I have yet to adjust the load button to take care of the newly created muxjob type so don't try to load an AVI mux job.

mencoder can't split (right now) so AVI split sizes are ignored. I kept it in the hope that this will change some day.

And I hope that's it.
Old 2nd July 2005, 23:47   #199  |  Link
bond

avc cqm files have the extension .cfg, not .txt!

MPEG-4 ASP FAQ | AVC/H.264 FAQ | AAC FAQ | MP4 FAQ | MP4Menu stores DVD Menus in MP4 (guide)
Ogg Theora | Ogg Vorbis
use WM9 today and get Micro$oft controlling the A/V market tomorrow for free
Old 3rd July 2005, 00:06   #200  |  Link
Doom9
clueless n00b

Quote:
avc cqm files have the extension .cfg, not .txt!
alright, I'll adjust that. Not that it would matter since it's still an ASCII text file